IGNORED

Jinger and Lawson courting?

SPHASH

*Jumps headfirst (heh) back into the peen discussion

Oh, I had no idea that penises were autopsied...seriously. :shock: I've watched a partial autopsy before, and I just assumed the peen was left alone unless it somehow contributed to the cause of death.

I'm not sure how that would work, though.

They may be dissected in anatomy classes, but in my experience they aren't autopsied unless there's a reason to (and the vast majority have been in cases fetal/peds cases of congenital urethral valve issues or other genital abnormalities).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a student at least, it is often encouraged to go explore all the various parts. You slice the eyes in half and things like that just to add to the value of the cadaver regardless of cause of death, because it's all useful info for going into fields that involve cadavers in the study program. For people who are no longer learning but are instead trying to identify cause of death, no idea why a peen would need to be cut open. Maybe they just never got that chance in school. :-)

*Jumps headfirst (heh) back into the peen discussion

Oh, I had no idea that penises were autopsied...seriously. :shock: I've watched a partial autopsy before, and I just assumed the peen was left alone unless it somehow contributed to the cause of death.

I'm not sure how that would work, though.

I'm in training to be a pathologist. We're the doctors that specialize in doing autopsies. The penis is not routinely dissected unless there is a specific reason, although we do routinely dissect the testicles.

I assumed Maggie Mae's post about peen dissection was something she did for educational experience. Like during a lab in med school anatomy class or something like that. So not neccesarily an autopsy to determine cause of death.

This is reminding me of my middle school frog dissection. Ick. Do they still do that nowadays?

I assumed Maggie Mae's post about peen dissection was something she did for educational experience. Like during a lab in med school anatomy class or something like that. So not neccesarily an autopsy to determine cause of death.

This is reminding me of my middle school frog dissection. Ick. Do they still do that nowadays?

You are correct, which is why I said "cadaver study" instead of "autopsy."

It's actually not that interesting. It looks like a sponge. Which is interesting, in comparison to the rest of the body, I suppose.

a cadavar study sounds like a really interesting thing to do. i would have loved to do it! in my first a&p class lab, we physically dissected a cow's heart and we labeled a sheep's brain, but we only got to watch a human dissection. :( it was still really interesting, though.

Whoa there. I was just pointing out how silly it was for old fans to get snippy with new fans. You implied the negative and replied rudely. You need some self reflection time.

I wasn't even the first person in this thread to mention annoying fans. I just agreed and said some are obnoxious. This is my opinion and I'm pretty sure I am allowed to have it. But you then felt the need to jump up my ass and tell me to 'get along' with other fans? Pretty sure that me and the others discussing Doctor Who were getting along just fine until you chimed in. The Doctor Who drift on this thread is the least interesting so I'm sure I can figure out why you took so much offense. I don't think I'm the one who needs self reflection time....

(And I will repeat...I am not an "old" fan. I've only been a fan of the show for a couple years. I would be classified as a new fan, in the realm of Doctor Who.)

Good question! I know that we dissected a frog in high school but that was the late 90's. I also dissected a fetal pig in college.

No penises though.

Can't wait to read the re-cap if this thread makes it to part 2!

Oh lord :popcorn2:

I once dissected a giant grasshopper in Biology years ago. It wasn't too bad, since it was already dead.

I'm one of those people that (unfortunately) will obsess to half to death over certain details about a situation. As of about a page and a half ago, it never once occurred to me that a penis could or would be autopsied, even though I've seen a partial autopsy done before, so I couldn't help but ask. :oops: Thanks, everyone, for the responses about it.

OUTLANDER SPOILER

Sneaking into the peen discussion, Tobias Menzies who portrayed Black Jack/Frank Randall on Outlander did at least 2 full frontals last season. One with Jamies sister and one after he raped Jamie, he was there in all his uncircumcised glory. ( I still say they look like firehoses).

The only instance of full frontal on True Blood was when Eric started to burn and you got a teeny tiny glimpse as he rose from his lawn chaise.

Back to your GOT and Jinger's courting prospects. :cool2:

a cadavar study sounds like a really interesting thing to do. i would have loved to do it! in my first a&p class lab, we physically dissected a cow's heart and we labeled a sheep's brain, but we only got to watch a human dissection. :( it was still really interesting, though.

We did the cow heart in 8th grade, and again in 10th. I did my cadaver study in college as an elective. It was a one credit class that I took along side A&P. I loved it. I would have gone to med school if I hadn't been so lazy about math & chemistry in high school. Instead I ended up switching majors. Which is probably for the best as I actually really hate hospitals and sick people. (not the actual people, just vomit, blood, poop, and the sounds involved.) I'm much more interested in research and learning, less about practical application.

Never did the frog, though. And I opted out of the cat dissection on ethical reasons. I'm still annoyed that my high school thought that was a good idea, actually. We also did fetal pigs in 8th grade and again in high school and yet again in college.

Now I want to go back to school.

I got to opt out of Dissection period, had to do it online and yet I made the best grade when test time came around. I finished with a 94 for the year in Bio and never studied :)

We did the cow heart in 8th grade, and again in 10th. I did my cadaver study in college as an elective. It was a one credit class that I took along side A&P. I loved it. I would have gone to med school if I hadn't been so lazy about math & chemistry in high school. Instead I ended up switching majors. Which is probably for the best as I actually really hate hospitals and sick people. (not the actual people, just vomit, blood, poop, and the sounds involved.) I'm much more interested in research and learning, less about practical application.

Never did the frog, though. And I opted out of the cat dissection on ethical reasons. I'm still annoyed that my high school thought that was a good idea, actually. We also did fetal pigs in 8th grade and again in high school and yet again in college.

Now I want to go back to school.

i did the frog in...10th grade, i think? we also did a kind of dissection with a pig, but it wasn't a whole body just like the tongue and esophagus/trachea and stomach and all the digestive/respiratory tracts attached. kind of like the sheep brain, no actual dissection but handling and labeling.

god the smell was awful. the room was not well ventilated at all and i got a bad headache.

You guys had such cool schools. In my school we could only open a fish, at 15, that the teacher had bought herself in the market that morning. Like we had budget for anything else... :D

In high school we dissected frogs and grasshoppers and huge worms. In college, more of that plus fetal pigs... I thought it was super fun until the professor brought in a human leg that was semi-dissected for us to look at. I was about ready to hurl after about 10 minutes.

In high school we dissected frogs and grasshoppers and huge worms. In college, more of that plus fetal pigs... I thought it was super fun until the professor brought in a human leg that was semi-dissected for us to look at. I was about ready to hurl after about 10 minutes.

In High School? That's unimaginably disgusting. Was never a fan of dissection to begin with but did dissect a frog, small shark, fetal pig and my personal favorite, a sheep's eye. They bounce like little balls right off the table. Guess what we were doing when the teacher was out of the room for a few minutes?

We dissected frogs and cats in high school. There was a boy in my class who was alternately impressed and disgusted by the way I tore into it (I thought it was so interesting and didn't let my cat love hold me back). We just celebrated our 37th wedding anniversary. (The boy and I, not the cat.)

So I was in 5th grade and my science teacher was dating a mortician. Apparently, the relationship had its perks, because she got permission for him to bring human body parts to school. I remember when she passed the human brain around, and thinking it was heavier than I expected when I got to hold it.

So I was in 5th grade and my science teacher was dating a mortician. Apparently, the relationship had its perks, because she got permission for him to bring human body parts to school. I remember when she passed the human brain around, and thinking it was heavier than I expected when I got to hold it.

A human brain in a class full of 10 year old kids? Kinda weird...

Definitely. The brain was bigger than I thought, too. I don't know if that sort of thing is legal nowadays. We also got to look at a skull and a couple of other bones.

Talk about thread drift! I am totally excited about this because a few people here might be able to answer a question for me. I have been wondering this for years, but it never seems to come up in casual conversation. :shrug:

In neuroanatomy we had the opportunity to dissect a human brain. The brains came labeled with various identifying information, most of which made sense to me. For example, date of birth, date of death, gender, height, weight - all useful. They also had the zip code of last place of residence. When I really think it through, I guess that could be useful information for various areas of study. For me, that combined with the date of death (which was recent) made things a bit too real or something.

My question for those who have had reason to work with human cadavers - how much identifying information is usual or normal? Does it depend to some extent on what is being studies? (I know for research on specific things you might request all cadavers meet certain criteria).

Anyway - not sure why I am totally fine with dissecting a human brain, but the identifying information bothers me all these years later. :think:

ETA - for clarity, this was in psych grad school. We had the opportunity to take neuroanatomy up at the med school. I was not comfortable asking a bunch of questions in that setting that would make me look like I didn't belong or whatever, so I just let this question fester.

Has anyone ever gone to one of those museum exhibits that uses real human bodies? One of those came here a couple years ago but it was just a little too out there for me. I would have way too hard looking at them as "just bodies" instead of actual people.

I'm telling you all, that thing was just huge. I mean, just the size of it. BRAIN. When the apocalypse does start good and proper, those zombies aren't going to need more than one human every few days. That sucker is the equivalent of a large Hungry-Man meal for a zombie, and that includes plenty of leftovers for later.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived