IGNORED

Jessa Duggar Seewald Pt 5 - The Smug is Strong With This One

happy atheist

It's really odd to me that a family that sold itself on their wholesome goodness and oh so superior way of life, seems to really have such limited knowledge of common courtesies, manners and social decorum.

JB and M did such a piss poor job in so many areas.

Jessa didn't pay it forward because she is unfamiliar with giving- receiving, she has down, but the idea of giving seems to be a foreign and unknown concept.

I also agree with Lascuba- Oh shit, no bueno, no WALLA (LOL) free coffee.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And just another example of why growing up very sheltered and then being on social media has it's downsides

At least it's sometimes mildly entertaining for some of us.

It's really odd to me that a family that sold itself on their wholesome goodness and oh so superior way of life, seems to really have such limited knowledge of common courtesies, manners and social decorum.

JB and M did such a piss poor job in so many areas.

Jessa didn't pay it forward because she is unfamiliar with giving- receiving, she has down, but the idea of giving seems to be a foreign and unknown concept.

I also agree with Lascuba- Oh shit, no bueno, no WALLA (LOL) free coffee.

As WTF Fundie Families so succinctly put it, 'well behaved children' my ass.

This is all very interesting for me. I've heard of "paying it forward" before, but the way it was always done was you bought your own coffee and paid forward for another one that is specifically marked for a poor/homeless person. These people could then come into the coffee shop and ask if someone had paid forward. If someone had, they would get a coffee. I like this idea much better, though I suppose it is also nice as a random nice gesture to someone.

I have to admit I had my drink payed for in a Starbucks line a few months ago and I had no clue it was a "thing". All day I was trying to figure out how i got a free drink. Did someone I know see me? Was it a computer mistake? It never crossed my mind it was a pay it forward chain until I read the last few pages. :embarrassed: Guess I broke the chain that day

I just find it funny that it didn't occur to her to pay it forward. No, it's not mandatory to do so, and I don't think it's generally a sign of being a selfish asshole, but the utter cluelessness it takes to post about your free coffee without having any idea that it's actually a thing that's done fairly often... :lol: I can just imagine her, "Oh shit oh shit oh shit" reaction when she read the replies and realized she fucked up again.

I think you're spot on, and that's why her follow up post is about faith over works. :lol:

1. Everything is about Jesus to them. Everything.

2. If she had mentioned that she DID pay it forward, right now you would all be ripping into her for bragging about paying it forward.

ElegantMajesticPearls - if they didn't tell you someone paid for your drink, how were you supposed to know? You did nothing wrong. Paying for someone else's drink is nice, but when it becomes an act of rudeness to not then turn around and 'pay it forward' the entire point is defeated. It turns a random act of kindness into an obligation or a gimmick.

On the Starbucks Pay It Forward turns into a sermon, front...

Anyone know why Bin is in the passenger's seat, letting his very pregnant wife drive while he relaxes with his refreshing free beverage? Shouldn't Jessa be relaxing with her free beverage while being chauffeured? She's drinking, driving and sermonizing? Me thinks that's quite progressive in the Duggar world.

Before anyone shakes their finger at me for asking - yes, I know you can drive while pregnant - I've done it. But at this point in her pregnancy just sitting can be exhausting. Don't even get me started on getting that basketball sized belly behind a steering wheel! :lol:

This is all very interesting for me. I've heard of "paying it forward" before, but the way it was always done was you bought your own coffee and paid forward for another one that is specifically marked for a poor/homeless person. These people could then come into the coffee shop and ask if someone had paid forward. If someone had, they would get a coffee. I like this idea much better, though I suppose it is also nice as a random nice gesture to someone.

I think it depends where you live. Around here it was a huge trend for a while. It’s normally only in the drive-though, so totally anonymous. You pay for the person behind you and then they pay for the next person and so on… Often times it goes on for a long time without anyone breaking the streak. Usually the ones that go on for a day or more will be publicized by the local media. I think most people here are aware of it so they know the drill when it happens. And I’ve also heard that the people taking the orders sometimes mention that it is happening, so kind of a heads up for people if they don’t know. That's how it is here, but obviously it isn't as common in other places.

Anyone know why Bin is in the passenger's seat, letting his very pregnant wife drive while he relaxes with his refreshing free beverage? Shouldn't Jessa be relaxing with her free beverage while being chauffeured? She's drinking, driving and sermonizing? Me thinks that's quite progressive in the Duggar world.

Before anyone shakes their finger at me for asking - yes, I know you can drive while pregnant - I've done it. But at this point in her pregnancy just sitting can be exhausting. Don't even get me started on getting that basketball sized belly behind a steering wheel! :lol:

I'm more concerned about her using the phone while driving. I'm really hoping that they were in a parking lot and not in motion when she snapped the photo and wrote her giant block paragraph about coffee being like Jesus, but considering the two of them, I wouldn't be shocked if she had one hand on the wheel and her eyes on her iPhone rather than the road. Jesus take the wheel, since Jessa's clearly busy with Instagram.

I love this - and I thought the exact same thing - bet she was picking him up from Duggar towing :D

but then didn't Jill drive Derick around as well - it's what these women do :D

but still great post !

Don't worry about it, ElegantMajestic. If I had gotten a free cup of coffee like that without having ever heard of the "pay it forward" thing, it probably wouldn't have occurred to me to pay for the next person, either. (Of course, neither would I have posted about it on instagram and equated the free coffees with some deep Biblical message about who the hell knows.)

Quick rant: I really hate the overuse of the word "blessed"/#blessed. I'm blessed because someone bought me coffee I'm blessed because my friend stopped by; i'm blessed because my kids napped 2 hours. :wtf:

Intentionally or not, it implies that these things happened because you've been blessed by a diety who cares so much about YOU that s/he would tinker into the minutiae that is your life.

As for my faith, I believe we're all blessed, not because we're so special, but because we're not so special, but G-d is.

End rant.

ETA Bin was driving. Selfies are often mirrored images. Check out the label on the cup--letters read left to right. This would put Bin in the driver's seat

Quick rant: I really hate the overuse of the word "blessed"/#blessed. I'm blessed because someone bought me coffee I'm blessed because my friend stopped by; i'm blessed because my kids napped 2 hours. :wtf:

Intentionally or not, it implies that these things happened because you've been blessed by a diety who cares so much about YOU that s/he would tinker into the minutiae that is your life.

As for my faith, I believe we're all blessed, not because we're so special, but because we're not so special, but G-d is.

End rant.

ETA Bin was driving. Selfies are often mirrored images. Check out the label on the cup--letters read left to right. This would put Bin in the driver's seat

holy moly - why wouldn't ben pay then :D

the mystery of Monday

Mothership, you should check out Socality Barbie on Instagram. She pokes fun at a lot of hashtag overuse and #blessed is one of them.

Don't worry about it, ElegantMajestic. If I had gotten a free cup of coffee like that without having ever heard of the "pay it forward" thing, it probably wouldn't have occurred to me to pay for the next person, either. (Of course, neither would I have posted about it on instagram and equated the free coffees with some deep Biblical message about who the hell knows.)

The first time this happened to me (at a Starbucks drive-thru), I interrogated the cashier/barista about it. Then I got it (hadn't heard of it before), and paid for the person behind me. I'd have had no clue about the procedure if I hadn't been so shocked and compelled to ask several questions.

How hysterical to think that 1. the one who broke the chain was a Duggar, and 2. she bragged about it on social media without understanding the context, and 3. somehow this makes her a better Christian than others, because she can relate this event to Jesus. :?

I don't know...I actually felt the best in my 3rd trimester and I had a pretty huge belly. Maybe Jessa is feeling great.

I don't know...I actually felt the best in my 3rd trimester and I had a pretty huge belly. Maybe Jessa is feeling great.

That is entirely possible. Believe it or not, physically I felt better WHILE pregnant than when I wasn't back in the day. Of course now everything hurts because I'm old and my pregnancies were some time ago, but I never could understand how people felt miserable throughout. I adored being pregnant - although there were the obvious challenges, I absolutely loved it.

End rant.

I'd like to add "precious" to the list of words the Duggars use that drive me absolutely bonkers. How many effin' precious things can there possibly be? If you're a Duggar or a Duggar Lover, the answer is countless. There are literally countless precious things to be had, in case you were wondering.

On the Bin driving thing - my eyes are old, and I'd be lying if I said I can read that cup - but I believe ya! Nice catch...

The first time this happened to me (at a Starbucks drive-thru), I interrogated the cashier/barista about it. Then I got it (hadn't heard of it before), and paid for the person behind me. I'd have had no clue about the procedure if I hadn't been so shocked and compelled to ask several questions.

How hysterical to think that 1. the one who broke the chain was a Duggar, and 2. she bragged out it on social media without understanding the context, and 3. somehow this makes her a better Christian than others, because she can relate this event to Jesus. :?

This actually makes me feel kind of bad for her. There is a lot she doesn't know about how the world works, because of her fucked up upbringing. No one likes to feel foolish, and it's embarrassing to learn these things the hard way, and in public. I hope she remembers this and holds it against all of the people who 'sheltered' her. #Ezekiel2517

This actually makes me feel kind of bad for her. There is a lot she doesn't know about how the world works, because of her fucked up upbringing. No one likes to feel foolish, and it's embarrassing to learn these things the hard way, and in public. I hope she remembers this and holds it against all of the people who 'sheltered' her. #Ezekiel2517

I continue to vacillate on Jessa. This is an embarrassing mistake, but I also suspect that she won't change without many significant reasons to do so (and then when she does -- I hope -- she'll make a complete and very vocal 180*). I think Jessa is stronger than a lot of the other Duggars; this is unfortunate, but she'll survive. Social media gaffes are the least of the Duggar concerns....

It's the other criticisms of her family that I'm hoping she takes to heart. That's the interesting thing about Jessa; it's possible to imagine her in a different lifestyle (unlike Jill, for example). I've still got a little hope that one day, she'll decide she's had enough (or made enough money elsewhere, or justified it Biblically, or whatever she needs to do to move on) and start making her own statements instead of following the family party line. She has enough spunk in her to do so and loves the spotlight enough to make it worth her time (unlike Jenni, whom I imagine will leave the compound, but perhaps without much fanfare).

I wonder if any of these folks ever cook or eat at home?

Jessa is constantly posting pictures of FF that she and Ben have consumed, which generally contains a comment about how they rarely eat FF-LOL.

Remember Josh's Instagram back in the day?

If you look at Derick's IG there is a photo of he and Jill with their recent diplomas ...and a Starbucks drink cup and PF Changs bag. Sure they could be reusing the cup and bag...

I have to give Jessa a pass on not knowing the Pay it Forward thing because I've not heard of it. I bought the person behind me their drink once because I was afraid I'd gone into drive-through out of turn. To be honest, it makes no sense to me for everyone to keep paying for the next person. Nothing is gained from this. I'd rather the person for whom I purchased a drink actually got a free drink!!

However, I do not give her a pass for her handling of it. She did not show gratitude to the kind person in front. Just Jesus. Typical.

According to instagram pics, Ben and Jessa spoke at a church service in Texas yesterday. I guess they are relationship experts or something. I wonder if they have a fee or if they take up love offerings...

I have to give Jessa a pass on not knowing the Pay it Forward thing because I've not heard of it. I bought the person behind me their drink once because I was afraid I'd gone into drive-through out of turn. To be honest, it makes no sense to me for everyone to keep paying for the next person. Nothing is gained from this. I'd rather the person for whom I purchased a drink actually got a free drink!!

However, I do not give her a pass for her handling of it. She did not show gratitude to the kind person in front. Just Jesus. Typical.

Occasionally I'll pay for the person behind me in line, either because I'm having a bad day (and somehow I feel better by thinking that I've made that person's day better), or because I'm having a good day (and want to share the happy vibes). Once it turned out to be a lady who works at the same place as me, and when I got into work she had emailed me saying "was that you?! you made my morning!" and I felt busted but amused haha...another time it was a police officer who pulled up next to me at a red light to say thanks. I don't like getting caught doing it, but I do enjoy trying to make someone's day a bit nicer :)

Archived