IGNORED

Amy Jordan Duggar Jordan Duggar King Duggar Wedding Part 2

happy atheist

Here comes the great FJ wedding cake debate. Personally, i've never had great tasting wedding cake. Either the frosting tastes strange or the cake is incredibly dry. I like the weddings where an alternative dessert is served and the wedding cake is just something to look at and cut for tradition.

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here comes the great FJ wedding cake debate. Personally, i've never had great tasting wedding cake. Either the frosting tastes strange or the cake is incredibly dry. I like the weddings where an alternative dessert is served and the wedding cake is just something to look at and cut for tradition.

Exactly, that is how it is now down here in spain. Just last week i found out that there was a cake at my cousins wedding. Two years later. NEver even saw it in the reception, too busy getting drunk

I'm in the US and I dislike heavy or overly sweet frosting and think fondant is of the devil. But, my (delicious!) wedding cake had it and I just didn't eat that part.

Naked cakes are having a moment. They usually have frosting between the layers, but not over the whole cake. I think they look okay, but probably taste divine.

Fondant is an inedible abomination. I've had some good tasting cakes after scraping the frosting off (it's mostly a texture and sweetness issue for me), but at least around here, a lot of the more expensive bakeries known for their artistry bake subpar cakes.

One wedding I went to in a different country had a "cake" that was just beautifully frosted cardboard for the pictures, while the actual cake was cut behind the scenes and served along with various desserts. At first I thought it weird to go to the trouble but I've grown to kind of like the idea.

Fondant is an inedible abomination. I've had some good tasting cakes after scraping the frosting off (it's mostly a texture and sweetness issue for me), but at least around here, a lot of the more expensive bakeries known for their artistry bake subpar cakes.

One wedding I went to in a different country had a "cake" that was just beautifully frosted cardboard for the pictures, while the actual cake was cut behind the scenes and served along with various desserts. At first I thought it weird to go to the trouble but I've grown to kind of like the idea.

We had a very small wedding cake that a friend made as a gift...and 12 gallons of a local creamery's ice cream ^_^ It seemed to go over well haha

I am not a frosting fan but a naked cake doesn't look too great in photos. I don't like fondant either. We decided against it for our wedding cake. It didn't look exactly how I wanted but it tasted pretty good, thankfully.

Potluck weddings really aren't tacky, IMO, however the one that you described is ridiculous. A potluck means you bring a dish - side dish or dessert usually. You normally aren't expected to bring enough to feed the whole crowd.

What's wrong with that? They were up front about it so if you didn't want to go and not be fed, you could just stay at home.

Not a thing wrong with this. I meant this as a compliment because people knew what to expect or not expect, as the case may be. It was actually a very nice wedding reception. It was even nicer in that it was what the couple could easily afford to do. And it made for a nice intimate dinner for the immediate family.

A few of us who were at the wedding (knew each was going) planned a dinner out for ourselves after the punch and cake. Had a great time.

The thing that makes sense (to me) is to have the wedding you can afford comfortably.

A quick Internet search showed LinkedIn saying he's the owner of Wet Ink Design.

Laughing at myself because I immediately thought TATTOO artist. Boy, can you see Cousin Amy showing up inked in a tank top at the next Duggar function? :pink-shock: LOL

(Not saying it IS a tattoo shop - just my imagination given the name of the business)

Laughing at myself because I immediately thought TATTOO artist. Boy, can you see Cousin Amy showing up inked in a tank top at the next Duggar function? :pink-shock: LOL

(Not saying it IS a tattoo shop - just my imagination given the name of the business)

He paint guns in pink camo. That's basically his job. You may want to kill an animal, but you'll do it with style

I've seen and heard of that a lot, and I think it's pure genius. It's a great way to keep costs down and it's what I will do if/when I get married. You have a pretty fondant covered display with one layer of cake (for the cutting tradition or to go in the freezer for an anniversary) and the other layers are cardboard. In back, the caterers cut up a cheap but tasty sheet cake with a moderate amount of real frosting for people to actually eat. IMO it's a way to get the best of both worlds - pretty and tasty, at a fraction of the cost of a multilayered cake.

There are beautiful naked cakes out there, decorated with fruit and edible flowers. But I'm assuming Amy wanted a simple, no-frills kind of cake, like her wedding dress. I think it looks fine. Not what I would pick for my own wedding, but definitely not snarkworthy in my book.

Just imagine the Duggar blog posts if there'd been an immodest, naked cake.

"At Jill's wedding, we had a very tastefully covered cake..."

I like that picture! (It is more unFundie than unChristian)

that's what I meant. Excuse my 2am brain haha. And I like it, too. Looks like they had fun!

Jumping in here because frosting. :whistle:

I prefer chocolate frosting, so that's what I had. I had a few judgey looks, but it was November, so it looked lovely with my fall colors.

Also, I was the bride dammit. :lol:

People dont dress up for everything they way they use to. When I was growing up and we went to eat with my paternal grandfather and step grandmother, we were the only ones dressed up. I actually hated dressing up just for Thanksgiving/Easter dinner etc out. So after I got older, I told mom I'm not wearing dress/skirts. Even funerals are more relaxed dress than they used to be. But I dont think it's tacky to include the dress style on invitations or programs. It keeps the fmaily or host from getting dozens of calls.

I never liked the hint you are less married if you dont so and so. There was a time if you didnt marry in a church with a white gown and wedding with all the trimmings, you weren't 'official'. Many couples are letting go of silly traditions. However, DH and I did include several traditions like keep the not seeing the bride before the wedding, I think it's a test of patience and makes that moment more special.

Anyhow, if I had may way I would have married in slacks in front of a judge. I could have done without the whole wedding charade, but there are only my brother and me, the only girl, so I felt obligated. If I was a parent, I wouldn't be pushy about weddings even for an only child. It's up to the couple.

Is it true the Duggars left early? I wouldn't be surprised.

I disagree that "things are becoming more casual". Dress code must just depend on where you are geographically because here in the suburbs near Chicago, it is expected that you dress formal for all weddings whether they are outside or not. Anything other than formal dress is tacky around here and you would stick out like a sore thumb.

I like keeping some traditions about clothing for special occasions.

It's as personal to me as stopping to put on eyeliner and earrings before heading out to the supermarket. I don't need either, but I enjoy that little bit of gussying up.

I am one of those people that would rather be overdressed than underdressed for an event. I was raised to dress appropriately for the event and I still do that. It means nice outfit for a wedding and somber dark dress/pants for a funeral. You may not care that someone is dressed down for your wedding but you don't know if it would bother the people getting married at the wedding you are attending. I just find it disrespectful to go to a nice event someone put a lot of effort into and to be dressed like I am going to the mall. As to funerals, I have never been to one where more than one or two people were in jeans or underdressed and, even then, they were more of the "out there" relatives. I say this as a person who has some "out there" relatives. I find it sad that some put so little effort into important events when celebrating someone's wedding or celebrating the life of someone at a funeral.

I'm another one who hates fondant, so when I got married, I made sure there was buttercream frosting, and it was one thing my ex-husband didn't care about, so he didn't insist on fondant. My mom also hates fondant, so when she got married a second time, she had buttercream as well.

In my experience, unless someone is getting married right on the beach or in Las Vegas, most people dress at least semi-formally for weddings. While things might be more relaxed to the point where someone might wear nice jeans without holes in them to a funeral, weddings are seen as an excuse to dress up.

I didn't say I agreed with the lax dress at every function. I, too, was raised to dress correctly for the occasion and still do. Funerals mean somber dress clothes. It was once considered tacky wearing dark colors to weddings or pants ot church. I had a hard time accepting pants in church, but now got more relaxed and concluded they cover more than some skirts..I'm not saying to show up at formal events wearing Bermuda shorts. There's a time and place for certain dress standards. In other words, if I dont have to wear a skirt Im not.

Poor Jenni. That girl needs a hug and a cupcake. :cry:
I'm beginning to get concerned about her. She doesn't look bored or sad to me she looks like she is in pain. I wonder if she gets stomachaches or headaches a lot.

I have been to exactly one wedding with an excellent cake. Buttercream frosting, as God intended. :P I was also pregnant and suddenly obsessed with dessert, but I swear it was really good.

Now I want cake. I hope RU doesn't provide desserts.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived