IGNORED

Amy Jordan Duggar Jordan Duggar King Duggar Wedding Part 2

happy atheist

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading through this thread reminded me of something that went on in a FB group I'm part of earlier. A woman was asking for advice because everyone seemed to be trying to force their desires onto HER (and her fiance's) wedding. Aside from friends being perfectly vocal with their views, her mother told her she was ruining her dream by having a gold wedding dress instead of a white one.

This is one thing that has always made me scratch my head. WHY is it that people feel a need and/or right to control how people approach their own damn weddings? And what on earth is it that turns some mothers into controlling momzillas when it comes to the topic of their daughters' dresses? Maybe I'm alone in this, but I don't see what is so special about weddings that people get so bent out of shape over them. Yes, they're nice, celebratory parties and certainly not insignificant, but they're not *everything*. I have friends whose weddings I never attended or was even never invited to, and I don't feel like it affects our friendship at all. I can't imagine being a mother and feeling like my daughter is ruining all of my hopes and dreams because she picked out a dress that doesn't match my vision of the perfect dress. I just can't. Wedding dresses don't mean that much to me.

If anyone is interested in seeing where they're staying, I'm about 90% sure they're at the Excellence Playa Mujeres. Someone on IG suggested it, and after looking into it, the TripAdvisor photos definitely show many of the same decor details (free form pools, palapas, and wooden slats for example) as Amy's and her Pickle's vague posts.

I don't see pure love, but a photo op for Amy (who, btw, I actually like a lot more than her Duggar cousins' family).

A really loving hug doesn't have both people facing the same way (as in, toward the camera).

Always posing. Still, a lot more connected than the ridiculous side hug.

To be fair, Anna does have a child on her hip. Its awkward but might have been more comfortable for her to face the same way.

I think it's genuine but that's just me.

I find it interesting how wedding threads can bring out the snobbishness of some folks. Despite the fact of what someone says that XYZ at a wedding is acceptable in one part of the country or in one's subculture it gets derided as being tacky. This is coming from people who can be open minded and progressive on a zillion other issues.

To be fair, Anna does have a child on her hip. Its awkward but might have been more comfortable for her to face the same way.

I think it's genuine but that's just me.

I think that Amy, in the excess of emotion that comes with weddings, just grabbed Anna and gave her a big old hug. I don't think there was anything else involved.

AFA weddings, I don't care what others do. I just think that the expectations that some people have are unrealistic in other situations.

I find it interesting how wedding threads can bring out the snobbishness of some folks. Despite the fact of what someone says that XYZ at a wedding is acceptable in one part of the country or in one's subculture it gets derided as being tacky. This is coming from people who can be open minded and progressive on a zillion other issues.

A good friend of mine is getting married next spring and stressing about the details - I told her that (although I'll do whatever she needs to help it be exactly what she wants), the only critical thing is that they get married. Everything else is both literally and figuratively icing on the cake :)

Reading through this thread reminded me of something that went on in a FB group I'm part of earlier. A woman was asking for advice because everyone seemed to be trying to force their desires onto HER (and her fiance's) wedding. Aside from friends being perfectly vocal with their views, her mother told her she was ruining her dream by having a gold wedding dress instead of a white one.

This is one thing that has always made me scratch my head. WHY is it that people feel a need and/or right to control how people approach their own damn weddings? And what on earth is it that turns some mothers into controlling momzillas when it comes to the topic of their daughters' dresses? Maybe I'm alone in this, but I don't see what is so special about weddings that people get so bent out of shape over them. Yes, they're nice, celebratory parties and certainly not insignificant, but they're not *everything*. I have friends whose weddings I never attended or was even never invited to, and I don't feel like it affects our friendship at all. I can't imagine being a mother and feeling like my daughter is ruining all of my hopes and dreams because she picked out a dress that doesn't match my vision of the perfect dress. I just can't. Wedding dresses don't mean that much to me.

Because it is a cultural event. In America we have mixed cultures and we have blurred the line between the civil aspect and the religious aspect, but that isn't the case in every country and it wasn't the case in America up until the late 70's or so. Demanding bridezillas thinking the day is all about them, scuba diving ceremonies conducted by ministers, people showing up to formal weddings in T-shirts are all modern phenomena and so people in a different region or of different ages are going to have trouble accepting that the ceremonies they are familiar with can be modified to the point of being unrecognizable. The pros of this new attitude means each couple can tailor their wedding to fit their lifestyle and budget and sensibilities. The cons are that it is hard to please everyone and some people are going to be unhappy or critical.

Social customs tend to bring out the black and white thinking in a way that more intellectual stuff doesn't. Even when you know intellectually stuff doesn't matter a lot of people can be pretty black and white when it comes to etiquette and customs.

I have no problem with the fact that on many important issues reasonable people can view the same facts and come to different conclusions. Agree to disagree and respect is maintained. But if you replace the toilet paper where its hanging in the wrong direction I will think you're a barbarian. :D I may still love someone who did this, but I'd never trust them to set the table.

People can choose to have their weddings however they like, and I'll always say thanks for having me no matter how it plays out. But badly placed seams and badly sewn stitch lines on a dress designed to be seen by hundreds of people makes R&M cry. :crying-blue: :crying-green: :crying-yellow:

People can choose to have their weddings however they like, and I'll always say thanks for having me no matter how it plays out. But badly placed seams and badly sewn stitch lines on a dress designed to be seen by hundreds of people makes R&M cry. :crying-blue: :crying-green: :crying-yellow:

Agreed, but even worse to me are the fundie brides that choose a strapless gown, but wear it over an undershirt and think they don't have to alter the top to fit, so there's a huge gap between the bust of the dress and the shirt underneath.

Just read on Pickle's Facebook page that Amy's wedding video Duggar Studios' posted on their YouTube page was actually by another filmmaker, and they didn't give him credit. So, that's why it was pulled down. Wow, way to go.

If anyone is interested in seeing where they're staying, I'm about 90% sure they're at the Excellence Playa Mujeres. Someone on IG suggested it, and after looking into it, the TripAdvisor photos definitely show many of the same decor details (free form pools, palapas, and wooden slats for example) as Amy's and her Pickle's vague posts.

I think that sounds correct. She just posted a photo of them holding pizza boxes and the little flower thingy on the side does look like the one the hotel uses.

Does anyone know what Dillon does for a living? I have never seen that written. I'm hoping and assuming he has a full time job.

A quick Internet search showed LinkedIn saying he's the owner of Wet Ink Design.

A quick Internet search showed LinkedIn saying he's the owner of Wet Ink Design.

Thanks! Sounds like a productive business and better than either Duggar son in law at the present. Hats off to him and to his new bride.

Just read on Pickle's Facebook page that Amy's wedding video Duggar Studios' posted on their YouTube page was actually by another filmmaker, and they didn't give him credit. So, that's why it was pulled down. Wow, way to go.

Here's a link to the actual article. Pretty typical Duggar move:

inquisitr.com/2412133/duggar-family-tries-to-recreate-reality-series-magic-with-amy-duggar-wedding-video-fails-miserably/

Is that a tattoo salon or a manufacturer of spring break t-shirt contestant wear?

My sisters baby daddy got extremely drunk and belligerent on Patron. He went and smuggly bought a whole bottle from the bar. To show my mom how baller he was. By the end of the night he was in the parking lot screaming at my mom and eventually started ripping his dress shirt off as buttons went flying everywhere.

I personally think those kind of stories are far better than nit picking or turning noses up at weddings. I want to hear personal oh shits, fails, crazy relative drama, and that one (or more) drunk person story. The things that happened that you laugh about now!

At my wedding, Mr. CL's drunk uncle got drinks at every other reception in the facility thinking no one would notice how much he was consuming.

One guest brought a date he picked up at a strip club. Yes, she was a performer, and no, she did not perform.

One relative told about half of the other guests to ignore my place cards and sit wherever they wanted; confusion ensued as later arrivals discovered their assigned tables were already full.

wetinkdesign.net/

Seems pretty legit but rather a niche market.

I have a family friend who does the exact same thing and is successful. Earns very good money so I can imagine he might too. And they live in NWA not fricken expensive Capital city Australia (median house 500K!)

I had a small wedding (35 people). I had a sandwich bar with different kinds of breads, meats, cheeses, and veggies. Along with that I had fresh fruits, sweet treats, finger foods, mints, cake, grandma's secret citrus punch, sodas, tea, coffee, and water. I even had food cartons so guests could take home a meal or two. There was plenty of food, music, and dancing. No alcohol because he paid for the reception and didn't want alcohol near minors.

That sounds a lot like my reception but we didn't have alcohol because my hubby doesn't drink.

The big "flaws" of my wedding and what everyone still talks about are, part of my hubby's family wasn't sure they could make it so when they weren't there we started anyway. I had just walked down the aisle and the minister was doing the opening when we saw them pull, they had gotten lost, so we made the minister wait and restart when they got it. It was a good laugh. Then since both of my parents had passed and my minister believed no one was being given away we did a "Who stands to support this marriage" for the bride and the groom. Since our friends are so intertwined many stood up for both of us (including his parents since they were such good friends with my parents) but one guy who got smacked and told "We are friends with both of them get up". We still laugh about that.

I wonder if then got one of those covenant marriages?

Covenant marriages get my brain in a weird circular logic path that makes me dizzy.

If you want a covenant marriage you don't need a covenant marriage because of your beliefs in the permanence of marriage. If you don't want a covenant marriage you need a covenant marriage otherwise your lack of belief will have you divorcing every Tuesday.

I guess I see how they are legally enforceable because they are basically additional terms in the contract which don't violate any laws.

But states decide the criteria to grant marriage licenses and divorces - why should the state be involved in couples wanting to legislate their personal beliefs on divorce? If couples truly believe the extra obligations which go into a covenant marriage then great - they can live by that code. The only reason you'd ever need legal teeth behind that code is if someone no longer held those beliefs and wanted out.

So a couple marries intending it to last a lifetime, as most people do. Some time down the road they decide that they no longer want to be married to their spouse. The law rightfully allows for this complete 180 on the forever together thing.

But since this only needs to be legally binding if one partner wants out, the reality is our legal systems in 3 states are willing to use publicly funded resources to help some people try force their spouses to remain married to them against their will. And barring forced continuation of the marriage making a painful situation worse by requiring that the government pass judgement on whether one's reasons for no longer wishing to be married are "moral enough." Oh - and causing any resulting divorce to be far more costly and contentious than necessary. Upping the hostilities in a divorce is always super healthy for the kids, as is being raised in a home where one of their parents is legally compelling the other to stay.

Nothing says love like an emotional hostage situation backed by the courts. I guess chaining them to the bed was too subtle.

I know I'm one of the six people on FJ without a law degree :wink-kitty: but how is this not a use of government resources to enforce religious beliefs?

I know I'm one of the six people on FJ without a law degree :wink-kitty:...

I spit my soda right out of mouth on that! LMAO :lol:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived