IGNORED

Amy Jordan Duggar Jordan Duggar King Duggar Wedding Part 2

happy atheist

I hope you mean they're doing A video of the wedding, and not THE wedding video. :?

If they're not allowed to look at boobies, knees, or shoulders, I wonder what kind of shit fest they shot? All eleventy Duggars wishing Famy a godly marriage? Be fruitful and multiply?

Well, I guess I don't know for sure if it's her official wedding video, but the Howlers seemed to love doing aerial shots of the venue and posting it on YouTube. It's titled "Amy Duggar's/King's Wedding (Tease). I bet she had an official videographer because the Duggar boys left before the real raucous reception started. I bet the Duggar Studios' video will be the ceremony and early parts of the reception. You know, before the real fun started for the night.

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a semi-sort of potluck. We had a very large wedding (not Duggar large) because our parents all come from large families. Add in on top of that, that my father was a minister at the time, and the politics of not inviting the entire church? Well.... :pink-shock:

We hadn't intended for it to be a potluck. My folks bought all the food and we were going to do all the prep ourselves. Once a couple of the church ladies found out the entire church was invited, they took it upon themselves to organize things. As a gift, they got a huge group together and came and put the meal together. We were doing very summery type food, primarily because we were trying to pay for the entire wedding ourselves, without too much parental cash input. So we had planned for open faced bun type sandwiches, veggies and dips, fruit and dips, cheese and meat platters, salads, pickles/olives trays, desserts etc. The church women came out the morning of the wedding, after being organized, and put it all together. On top of that, they'd organized to bring dishes themselves, as a sort of gift. So, in the end, it kind of ended up being potluck, without that being our intention.

And holy schnikes, did we have food. We fed everyone at the reception (over 400), and that was leaving it as a free for all, and then the next day, my dad told the whole church they had to stay for lunch to help clear up the leftovers, lol, because they had nowhere to store it all. So it fed another 100+ the next day, and I really don't know what happened to whatever might have been left, as we'd left on our honeymoon by then.

The food thing doesn't bother me. I've been to some swank weddings and the food wasn't that great, and I know they paid through the nose for it. I've been to backyard weddings where they just had a BBQ and the food was amazing. I don't really care about the food aspect. I just like going to the wedding, because I care about the people getting married. Food, no food, no matter. I kind of think the whole reception thing is kind of outdated. If I had ours to do over again, now, I'd probably have a later afternoon wedding, tell everyone they were on their own for evening meals, and that they were invited for a dance/party at X location at 9 pm, and have some fun. Offer some drinks and snacky foods, and avoid the whole reception craziness, with speeches and shit. :lol:

|

But YOU weren't the ones asking people to bring the food. I think it was really nice of the ladies of the church to volunteer. Totally different than sending out an invite and telling people that when they RSVP they will be given a food assignment toward the meal.

Next we'll have brown bag receptions!

Well, I guess I don't know for sure if it's her official wedding video, but the Howlers seemed to love doing aerial shots of the venue and posting it on YouTube. It's titled "Amy Duggar's/King's Wedding (Tease). I bet she had an official videographer because the Duggar boys left before the real raucous reception started. I bet the Duggar Studios' video will be the ceremony and early parts of the reception. You know, before the real fun started for the night.

This whole Duggar Studios business is one of the very few things left about the Duggars that sorta gives me hope. The boys are getting to do something that they seem to enjoy, and it might give them some job applicable skills in the meantime.

I think it's interesting that various offspring have expressed interest in things that seem like a direct connection to the most consistent "real world" presence in their lives....the TLC camera crew. Josh was into video editing, Jinger and photography, and now the younger boys...who spent 2/3 to all of their lives with people filming them.

I had a semi-sort of potluck. We had a very large wedding (not Duggar large) because our parents all come from large families.... My folks bought all the food and we were going to do all the prep ourselves. Once a couple of the church ladies found out the entire church was invited, they took it upon themselves to organize things. As a gift, they got a huge group together and c.ame and put the meal together........ If I had ours to do over again, now, I'd probably have a later afternoon wedding, tell everyone they were on their own for evening meals, and that they were invited for a dance/party at X location at 9 pm, and have some fun. Offer some drinks and snacky foods, and avoid the whole reception craziness, with speeches and shit. :lol:

I did all the food for both my daughters' wedding. It was a mix of entrees, sides and finger foods. Without my asking, the church ladies at the first daughter's church (Methodist) pitched in and helped set everything out and refilled, and then insisted on doing all the clean-up--thank goodness, as I was worn to a nub. At the second daughter's wedding no one from the church (Independent Baptist--quite Fundie) offered to help but a couple of daughter's new in-laws pitched in (love you, Aunt Geri!!) and we got 'er done.

Planning the wedding at the Fundie church was another matter. Daughter's dress and all the bridesmaid dresses had to be modest. I ended up making all the bridesmaid's dresses because the girls' sizes ranged from tiny to large. The music was the hardest part: they wanted secular music only--as long as it was not "too modern" or "too Catholic." Yes, that is exactly what they told us. The best part is that after they were married they attended that church only two more times. My son in law was not really fundamental--he just joined because a couple of his friends attended. His own mother called the place a cult and was relieved when they stopped attending.

I was raised and still live in the Northeast US. Which means the majority of weddings I attend are Italian American, Irish Ameican, Jewish Ameican and my own ethnicity, Greek American affairs. For some variety I have gone to a few Hindu American and Muslim weddings.

What all these weddings have in common is that there is always lots of food and dancing at these receptions, and alcohol, with of course the exception of the Muslim weddings, which were officially dry. So yeah, I'm used to bride + groom + (church or synagogue or hall or home) then reception where there is much eating, dancing, and boozing. Extra dancing if no official boozing. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

This whole Duggar Studios business is one of the very few things left about the Duggars that sorta gives me hope. The boys are getting to do something that they seem to enjoy, and it might give them some job applicable skills in the meantime.

I think it's interesting that various offspring have expressed interest in things that seem like a direct connection to the most consistent "real world" presence in their lives....the TLC camera crew. Josh was into video editing, Jinger and photography, and now the younger boys...who spent 2/3 to all of their lives with people filming them.

I don't think "put videos on Youtube" sounds that impressive on an application. Lol

Nadia Botkin has clearly sewn a diaper to the front of her wedding dress. This way it will be handy when the first baby pops out.

Yes!! I was thinking the same thing. It really looks like they opened a disposable diaper, glued some bling on it and taped it to her chest. Actually it looks like a full soggy diaper. You know...like when a baby has been playing in the kiddie pool for a couple of hours. WHAT were they thinking?!?

edited for typo

Well, if you were a young woman who had been sexually molested by your brother, what would you think of the woman who married him knowing that he had repeatedly sexually molested his sisters?

They may have said they forgave him and put on the required smiles and sweet attitude, but those scars can be deep. And even Jim Boob and Michelle can't control their daughters' thoughts, no matter how hard they try.

I'd go back and forth between "poor, stupid Anna" and thinking she was evil for condoning what he did by procreating with him.

I don't think "put videos on Youtube" sounds that impressive on an application. Lol

It did wonders for Kim Kardashian, so you never know. Although KK didn't post on YouTube but, you know, same idea. [emoji12]

I was a bridesmaid in a wedding with limited finger food and it was awful because we were starving by the end of the wedding. The bride and groom left early to go have dinner together. It was also a dry wedding, not because they were anti-alcohol, but because they didn't want to pay for a bartender even for a cash bar. I guess they wanted to have a wedding with 150 people and collect gifts from everyone, but keep the reception as cheap as possible. I just think it's so tacky and rude to have an event like that and not serve food, like if you can't afford it then you need to cut down the guest list.

The rule of thumb is that if you aren't doing a full meal, you make damn sure your wedding and reception are not coinciding with a meal time but even so, you should at least provide snacks/cake & punch. Our wedding and reception were at a Southern baptist church and we had ~150-200 guests (not all stayed for the reception as they weren't family, just fellow church members). The ceremony was at 2pm and it was done and over within 20 minutes. Our reception was finger foods and some desserts that my husband's stepmother made (plus cake and punch obviously). No alcohol and no dancing but I tried to make sure my guests had PLENTY of food (there were about three or four 6 foot banquet tables FULL of food). We came home to a fridge FULL of leftovers plus pies and cakes spread out on the counter.

My main regret about the reception was not putting my foot down with our photographer (my husband's aunt) when she didn't want to do pictures before the ceremony. I feel bad that our guests had to wait for around an hour while she took a bajillion crappily posed pictures.

True enough. But hey, it's better than them all saying they want to be ministers or missionaries. Anything that indicates an interest in something besides being godly is a plus in my book.

Ever been to a potluck wedding reception? THAT is so tacky - but I've been invited to a couple. Only went to one because it was my husband's son's wedding. Husband gave his idiot son and his idiot bride $1000.00 as a gift. Then they asked us to bring cooked chicken to feed 50 people!

Potluck weddings really aren't tacky, IMO, however the one that you described is ridiculous. A potluck means you bring a dish - side dish or dessert usually. You normally aren't expected to bring enough to feed the whole crowd.

Also have been to a wedding where the invite/reception card read "Cake and punch to be served after the ceremony" It was a 3pm wedding - so no one was expecting a meal. The immediate family had a family dinner after the 'reception'.

What's wrong with that? They were up front about it so if you didn't want to go and not be fed, you could just stay at home.

Potluck wedding is tacky IMO, but just appetizer, cake, punch reception is totally fine. You can only do what you can afford. But asking people to bring food is just sad.

I went to a wedding a few years ago of a very young couple. They only had lemonade, water, coffee, and little goldfish crackers and pretzels at the reception, and of course cake. Similar to an after-church fellowship event. There was no DJ, just milling around and talking and then the formalities of the bouquet toss etc... But it was an awesome wedding because I was super-happy for the couple and I knew they were young and didn't have tons to spend on a wedding. I truly did not get the impression that they invited people "just for gifts". So basically it depends on the intention and ultimately I was happy to be invited and share their special day.

This is why I am having a destination wedding. Kona (or Kauai). No one is invited. No one is going to make fun of my dress our complain about the food or being allergic to the flowers or make me wear shoes. I can eat food I like (sorry, but there is almost never anything at a Midwest (Midwest is where our spice challenged extended family all live) potluck that is at all appetizing). No "friends" to critique my fashion choices and tell me that the dress I hate looks better. No one to complain about the registry choices our lack there of.

@VR: "I think a lot of people base their opinions off what they know. For instance, I live on the East coast and around here we tend to throw fancier weddings then what you see in Fundiedom - that means, nighttime receptions, semi-formal to formal attire, drinking, dancing, etc. There are times that it's tough for me to keep in mind that there are different standards of acceptable wedding attire across the country.

If the Duggars showed up to a wedding here wearing their usual wedding attire they would look kind of out of place. At the weddings they usually attend though they look fine to me - except Michelle. She almost always manages to find a way to ruin a perfectly good outfit."

When i read this a have a question, do people have a dress code for weddings normally in the US? I know that here if you want something like that you just put it on the invites (like dress casual or up). Even funerals have that here sometimes because people don't want it all to be in black clothes

No no no no no. One never puts the suggested dress code on the invitation. There should be enough information for the guest to determine the formality, and he or she could call a wedding party member to ask. For example, if the wedding begins after 6 pm, and is a fancy hotel in NYC, it us clearly 's formal event. A 5 o'clock wedding would be semi-formal. It is rude to assume guests don't know wedding dress etiquette. #rant

No no no no no. One never puts the suggested dress code on the invitation. There should be enough information for the guest to determine the formality, and he or she could call a wedding party member to ask. For example, if the wedding begins after 6 pm, and is a fancy hotel in NYC, it us clearly 's formal event. A 5 o'clock wedding would be semi-formal. It is rude to assume guests don't know wedding dress etiquette. #rant

Here the time of the day for the wedding normally doesn't say anything about the dresscode, even the location(s)don't have don't always have a influence on what you should wear.

How can it be rude to make sure that your guests don't feel over or under dressed? Here it mostly depends on the style of dress the bride wears.

What people still use here is this http://www.rd.com/health/beauty/dress-codes-defined-2/ (although it isn't that strict anymore)

Not necessarily, but learning to use video editing software, how to operate video producing equipment and how to produce short films and advertisements is still a potentially marketable skill. Resumes (and college admissions) are largely about marketing and how you 'spin' it. I know a girl who was able to get admitted to a very prestigious graphic design school on a 50% fee + laptop and software allowance scholarship without ever taking a class. They were impressed with her passion for the field because she'd taught herself a decent amount.....from a few years of making graphics and uploading them to tumblr as a hobby.

Maybe one of them will be able to get admitted to a bible film school. If one of them makes the break, maybe they'll be able to get a job as an assistant at a TV network because someone will be willing to give them a shot because they're interested in the field.

If nothing else, at least they have an hobby that isn't 'memorising large portions of scripture'.

I wonder if any of the Duggarlings ever got the money. In one of his last broadcasts, Jim Bob stated that he would pay any child who managed to memorize every book in the KJV Bible $1,000. He said Joseph was the one going for it.

My husband and I didn't want to spend a ton on our wedding and we didn't want to exclude anyone so we had a small wedding (family only - about 20 people) followed by a nice dinner in a private room of our favorite restaurant.

A month later we hosted a professionally catered barbeque with a DJ, tons of food, beer and even hayrides for the kids. We had an area with video/pics of the wedding and honeymoon.

This is just what worked for us....it was relaxed and we were able to invite everyone and they could bring a guest, etc. And we actually got to spend time with everyone since it was so laid back. And we didn't care one if people didn't feel inclined to bring a gift -- it was just a wonderful day spent with friends and family!

Not necessarily, but learning to use video editing software, how to operate video producing equipment and how to produce short films and advertisements is still a potentially marketable skill. Resumes (and college admissions) are largely about marketing and how you 'spin' it. I know a girl who was able to get admitted to a very prestigious graphic design school on a 50% fee + laptop and software allowance scholarship without ever taking a class. They were impressed with her passion for the field because she'd taught herself a decent amount.....from a few years of making graphics and uploading them to tumblr as a hobby.

Maybe one of them will be able to get admitted to a bible film school. If one of them makes the break, maybe they'll be able to get a job as an assistant at a TV network because someone will be willing to give them a shot because they're interested in the field.

If nothing else, at least they have an hobby that isn't 'memorising large portions of scripture'.

There are a lot of YouTubers who have made full-time careers out of what they do because they could build on their skills as they did their videos. Nostalgia Critic (real name Doug Walker) started out with just a simple digital camera and some cheap video editing software so he could insert clips of the movies he was talking about into his videos, and he now he does elaborate sketches with special effects in his reviews, occasionally has actors from the films and TV shows he reviews make appearances (for example, Mara Wilson from Matilda and Mrs. Doubtfire has shown up a couple times), and has made a couple of short films. Since he gets ad revenue from his videos (over 200 review episodes) and sells Nostalgia Critic merchandise and DVDs of his short films online, he makes enough to do what he does full-time.

Now, unlike Doug Walker, I don't think the Duggar kids are nearly creative and hardworking enough to achieve that level of success. But if they can take some decent footage and edit it nicely, I'm sure they could find steady work as wedding videographers, or even as production staffers for those Alex Kendrick movies. Not the most glamorous job (my sister worked as a PA for an independent documentary over the summer, and while it was a great experience, it was a loooooot of getting permission to shoot places, corralling talent, ordering food, and handling social media promotion), but it's something.

Potluck wedding is tacky IMO, but just appetizer, cake, punch reception is totally fine. You can only do what you can afford. But asking people to bring food is just sad.

In my family, it actually pretty common for family members to bring something for dessert. It cuts down on the costs and it's a nice way to express your happiness at the wedding. I have an aunt who makes a mean tiramisu and a cousin who does delicious and beautiful tarts. They always bring something to go on the dessert table next to the cake.

But I agree, it is tacky to invite people and request they bring food. My relatives always volunteer to bring something/ask if they can bring something.

My partner got an invitation to a wedding from a old co-worker. The invitation for the church portion was on a typical engraved card, but the reception invite was hand written on a little slip of paper in red marker and had BYOB on it!! He's not going.

Dear God. I'm pretty sure one does whatever one feels is right for one's own wedding, and that will vary widely based on culture, location, etc.

Holy shit, people. If we could all just relax about weddings and what goes on (or doesn't go on) at them, I feel like the world would be a much calmer place. In the grand scheme of things, it's a couple hours to a day of your life. Unless someone is doing something horribly rude and insulting (which for the record does not include putting the registry info on the invite, not putting the registry info on the invite, having a potluck reception, having a dollar dance, having a honeymoon fund, wearing something you think is tacky, specifying a dress code, not specifying a dress code, accidentally running out of food, etc.) - who honestly cares? There's so much in this world to actually be upset about, why make weddings one of those things?

And for everyone who takes such great offence at the slightest hint of a 'gift grab', guess what, I've got fantastic news for you - no one's forcing you to bring a gift! If you feel like it would be rude not to, fine, get something inexpensive. Some people are really selfish. Some people are just thoughtless. Sometimes you're the one who's misunderstood the situation. And often it's hard to tell the difference. So get a gift, don't get a gift, but stop making it into such a big deal. All you're doing is adding petty, pointless drama to your life.

I wonder if any of the Duggarlings ever got the money. In one of his last broadcasts, Jim Bob stated that he would pay any child who managed to memorize every book in the KJV Bible $1,000. He said Joseph was the one going for it.

How stupid. Anyone who could pull off that virtually unattainable feat should be paid FAR more than $1000. He should offer $1000 just for the book of Psalms, alone. Better yet, let HIM take on his own challenge. (Don't ask your children to do something you're not willing to do, yourself.)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived