IGNORED

Pedophiles don't change their spots

fundiefan

On 12/2/2015 at 4:20 PM, DomWackTroll said:

I've been trying to figure that one out for a long time. Nancy gave Valerie a church office because she was too isolated? What does this woman do? How does she support herself? Is she a trust fund brat or something? She seems to have endless time on her hands. 

Some of my friends from my fundie days follow Valerie on Twitter (short history - some from my old church got to be buddies with RC Sproul, JR and from there jumped off into reading the works of DW and other CREC-ers).  At any rate, from what I see via their feeds, she seems to do some form of freelance editing or copyediting.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I guess they can stop Randy Booth from doing that CREC investigation on the handling of the Sitler case now. He's been hit by the "Doug Wilson is Never Wrong" Tour bus.

Ugh. I saw that.

I just don't see how saying "lots of pastors plagiarize!" helps.

And I will say this til I'm blue in the face: if you KNOW your sermons contain unattributed material, why would you incorporate them into your book w/out finding and citing the source material?

20 hours ago, onlyme said:

Rachel Miller has taken the time to read "A Justice Primer" and has posted many instances of plagiarism. It must have been torture to read through all that. 

https://adaughterofthereformation.wordpress.com/2015/12/10/justice-character-and-plagiarism/

Damn, there is some serious fallout from this.   She does an impressive job documenting the full extent of the plagiarism, by showing pages with plagiarized text highlighted in the original context and then in the "borrowed" context; it is damning and totally irrefutable. 

Doug's vanity press Canon Press has pulled the book, Randy Booth has assumed the position of doggie submission, Doug is all "oh, that",  and Rachel Miller (a woman!) was credited for pointing out that "someone" borrowed someone else's writing. That right there is some serious damage control going on.  This is going to be good.  

**goes to put bag of popcorn in the microwave**

Edited to add that N.D. (Nate) Wilson and Aaron Rench are the current owners of Canon Press, since (as far as I can tell) spring 2013. 

libriatrix, I'd be interested in your take on this whole thing (plagiarism, Canon Press, anything else), if you are interested in commenting.  I don't know if N.D. has taught at NSA, but it looks as though Aaron Rench teaches there.  

The mental gymnastics Doug's followers are using to justify this are truly mind boggling.

:huh:

Their cognitive dissonance should be legend.

What does Random House/Yearling think of all the stuff their children's author N.D. Wilson does when he's calling himself "Nate Wilson"? Like, you know, defending pedophile defenders? And publishing shockingly sexist, nonfiction books through his own house, Canon? And when will the mainstream media ever report on this double life? I don't recall it being mentioned the last time N.D. was on the Today Show.  

We know N.D./Nate won't get dumped by his agent, 'cause his agent is... Aaron Rench. 

https://twitter.com/aaronrench

23 hours ago, onlyme said:

Rachel Miller has taken the time to read "A Justice Primer" and has posted many instances of plagiarism. It must have been torture to read through all that. 

https://adaughterofthereformation.wordpress.com/2015/12/10/justice-character-and-plagiarism/

It must have been absolute torture, but her sacrifice was well worth it.  

The pomposity of this man never fails to astound.  

Layers of ironies here, to be sure.

Having been & worked in universities for decades, I can tell you that's a MAJOR case of plagiarism. Most student-plagiarists I've seen are much less flagrant -- but then, they're probably smarter than the average CREC-er.

Guess in Doug Wilson's world plagiarism is OK because Doug Jesus.

2 minutes ago, Minion of Stan said:

And they're gone. Wikipedia user "Anselm" seems to update Dougie stuff.

I hope you kept the text.

Isn't there a community group in wikipedia to argue that people are sugarcoating their profiles?  (I don't know the jargon.)

Oh, I see.  

"It's just a minor citation issue.  Nothing to see here.  Move along, move along.  I SAID, MOVE ALONG!  Don't make me get out the broad sword."  

Doug takes a loooong swallow of Laphroaig out of the bottle, grimaces a little at the peaty notes way at the back of his tongue, wipes his mouth with the back of his hand, and rummages behind his desk for the sword, then screams "Randy, goddammit, WHERE DID I PUT THE SWORD?" 

Joseph Bayly: “Nowhere in the Bible do we see copying condemned.”

I am pretty sure it says something about stealing though...

I had a poster on the blog tell me that a pastor asking a teen age girls for details about her sex life was AOK because the Bible didn't forbid it. 

:GPn0zNK: Nothing off color about that! Kick back with a cigar and hope she feels compelled to spill it all. 

Shouldn't there be a barfing emoticon? 

2 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Joseph Bayly: “Nowhere in the Bible do we see copying condemned.”

I am pretty sure it says something about stealing though...

I want to like this 5,000 times. It's the same "logic" by which suicides were said to go to hell. 

Because (1) Judas went to hell after dying by suicide and (2) the only unforgivable sin is rejecting the Holy Spirit, and anybody hopeless enough to commit suicide OBVIOUSLY had rejected the HS, so....!

"Nothing in the Bible against copying. Also, Paul wrote to ONE congregation that he, Paul, personally didn't let a woman preach in his church, therefore into infinity, no woman should be allowed near the ministry."

it's these kinds of "Christians" that make me reluctant to wear my cross necklace, symbol of my faith, out in public. 

5 hours ago, Minion of Stan said:

It's pointless. They have more energy than I

Thank you for doing it, even so.  Can a Wikipedia page be made to carry your version?

2 hours ago, onlyme said:

I had a poster on the blog tell me that a pastor asking a teen age girls for details about her sex life was AOK because the Bible didn't forbid it. 

:GPn0zNK: Nothing off color about that! Kick back with a cigar and hope she feels compelled to spill it all. 

Shouldn't there be a barfing emoticon? 

The commenters on his blog will twist themselves into pretzels to justify whatever Doug says.  It is amazing. 

Doug apologizes, even though it’s not really his fault:

Taking responsibility in either sense needs to result in something concrete, and in my case it means that I will not be co-authoring any books like this anymore. I will not be putting myself in this position again.

https://dougwils.com/s7-engaging-the-culture/110015.html?platform=hootsuite

Heated exchange with blurber Jeffrey J. Ventrella of the Alliance Defense Fund on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/dougwils/posts/10207073524409275?pnref=story

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived