IGNORED

Pedophiles don't change their spots

fundiefan

1 hour ago, refugee said:

So true. In my admittedly limited experience with the man, he was personable, even thoughtful. My first cognitive dissonance (related to DW, that is) came when I subscribed to Credenda Agenda and couldn't reconcile the snide, smug, self-satisfied, mocking tone of its articles with the "scholarly" man who'd taught at our church and genially socialized with us during his visit to our area.

This is worthy of a psychiatric study in itself (him, not you!).  Why the need for two faces - one seemingly kind, the other  contemptuous?

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Howl said:

This is worthy of a psychiatric study in itself (him, not you!).  Why the need for two faces - one seemingly kind, the other  contemptuous?

I suspect (and of course I may be wrong) that the kindly face is a mask that is put on to disguise the true, contemptuous self.

Kind of like that old image of the wolf dressed like a sheep.

On 2/27/2016 at 11:17 AM, Cicero said:

Thanks for clearing that up MoS.

I don't think Julie Anne has been neutralized. She's remained critical of Wilson and Christ Church on her site and twitter. One of the greatest tools that the Wilsons have is that if you do meet them in real life they do act much differently than you'd expect if you've only encountered them online before. if I had to describe DW solely through my personal interactions with him, I'd have to describe him as a jolly, personable man. Take his debate with Andrew Sullivan as an example, DW wouldn't use the same language to Mr. Sullivan's face that he gleefully employs on his blog.

I hope not. I had wondered about the followup posts on her trip to Moscow as well, and was disappointed when they never came.  I've never met Wilson, so didn't experience the disconnect between the person and the writing. However, some in my old church were big fans of his books. His theology(mostly on the Federal Vision question) is very controversial in the churches I've attended, but his books on gender roles, family, etc.. were well-received.

Another amazing post from Katie Botkin in which she addresses Doug Wilson's "Christianity," his imprecatory prayers, and what he really worships:

When I consider that these words, or similar ones, may be directed at me and my family through Doug, I have to conclude that the deity Doug is invoking with these words is a malevolent one, created in Doug’s own image. And as such, I do not believe his prayers will be answered. When you toy with malevolent deities, you bring destruction upon yourself, draw your power from the sickening rot of anguish. And this, more than anything, makes me very sad for the man.

Doug Wilson is so vile and evil it's hard to believe that his followers aren't running as fast as they can away from him.

Also wanted to add a link to this incredible video of Natalie Greenfield speaking at the University of Idaho recently about her abuse and recovery. Natalie herself provides the video link and talks a bit about that occasion.

That is an amazing video.  Set aside some time and watch it.  The thing that was most powerful for me was that when Natalie was telling her mother what had happened (shortly before her 18th birthday), she had no vocabulary to describe what had happened to her, because in purity culture, sex is simply not discussed in any way, shape or form.  

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived