IGNORED

John Shrader in Zambia Pt 5: Witnessing, Weeping & Wondering

happy atheist

Also there is the IFB missionary to Perth, Scotland. - I would LOVE to know how successful that missionary must be LOL

stillwaterbbc.org/gibf/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Brinkley-Prayer-Letter-December.pdf their old newsletter

Their current Church in Perth bbcperth.co.uk/gallery.html

The wife's facebook. facebook.com/janet.brinkley (she shows the care package someone sent on her facebook a couple of days back)

His facebook, which is more private.. facebook.com/russell.brinkley.3?pnref=friends.search

Look like tourists in most of the pictures.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also there is the IFB missionary to Perth, Scotland. - I would LOVE to know how successful that missionary must be LOL

Lol,lol, I would LOVE to observe an IFB missionary interact with one of my Catholic Scottish relatives. I would travel to see that...maybe they would video it and put it on one of their Facebook pages, what a hoot. Fur would fly.

stillwaterbbc.org/gibf/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Brinkley-Prayer-Letter-December.pdf their old newsletter

Their current Church in Perth bbcperth.co.uk/gallery.html

The wife's facebook. facebook.com/janet.brinkley (she shows the care package someone sent on her facebook a couple of days back)

His facebook, which is more private.. facebook.com/russell.brinkley.3?pnref=friends.search

Look like tourists in most of the pictures.

The John Schrader guide to Missionary Excellence:

• Step 1: Go to a Place
    What place? Any place. What if it has a lot of Christians already? Doesn't matter, they are the WRONG KIND.
  • Step 2: Walk around and annoy people
    Where? ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE. Annoy them at parks, at the supermarket, while they are banking, anywhere where they might be unable to escape your annoyance.
  • Step 3: Post Blog Entries About the People You Annoyed
    Did they actually show up at Church? No? WHO CARES! You annoyed them, and that is enough to qualify as the Lord's Work. Good job, Captain Jesus, you saved the entire city!
  • Step 4: ????????????????????
  • Step 5: PROFIT!

Edit: This same guide is also known as "The Steve Maxwell Guide to Being a Buzzkill" and "The Everyman's Guide to Being a Tool"

:penguin-no:

The Brinkleys are obviously missionaries to Scotland "and Beyond." They aren't just tourists! That was a survey trip to Cornwall to see whether St. Michael's Mount would be a good place to plant a new church!

That care package! I could have sworn you can buy spiral notebooks in Scotland. Then there's candy corn, but I don't know what all those things marked Italian are. Anyone?

Thanks for finding all those links for me - I was blanking on their name. The Brinkleys amuse me.

I'm having the worst luck getting people to pay for my extended vacation mission trip to Scotland. :cry:

FG, I thought I'd explained that a magical accordion is the answer to all your fundraising problems.

Salex, I've heard about Americans in Europe craving Ranch salad dressing and having it sent over, I think that was some people in Germany.

But Italian salad dressing is pretty ubiquitous and you can easily make it yourself. The packets looked a bit big for salad dressing too. Perhaps some local brand of pasta? The candy corn made me chuckle. I doubt candy corn has made it over the pond. You can have cravings for the strangest things when overseas. That's why I didn't snark on John's beef jerky very hard.

Me, I crave McVities chocolate biscuits all the time. I can buy them in specialty stores in the US, at a price, but they just don't taste the same.

His latest post is talking about a young man named "Innocent." First Blessing, and now Innocent. If he is making up pseudonyms for them, then his choices are really fucking patronizing.

His latest post is talking about a young man named "Innocent." First Blessing, and now Innocent. If he is making up pseudonyms for them, then his choices are really fucking patronizing.

I bet he named them himself. Can't have his pets walking around with non-Anglo names.

FG, I thought I'd explained that a magical accordion is the answer to all your fundraising problems.

One of these days I'm going to grift a magical accordion and you are going to have to pay to ship me over to Scotland so I can save OkToBeTakei's heathen soul. :lol:

One of these days I'm going to grift a magical accordion and you are going to have to pay to ship me over to Scotland so I can save OkToBeTakei's heathen soul. :lol:

I just happen to own a magical accordion which I got out of my grandparent's barn over 20 years ago. They had died so it was only semi grifted. I am headed down to Costa Rica in December for some severe AND serious fellowship with my family. Should I bring my godly instrument with me to convert the hedonistic, idol worshiping, Catholic Ticos over to the real Jebus? Do you think I will have time to convert them all? I will be there for about 3 1/2 weeks.

PS Do I set up a Pay Pal account or a Go Fund Me account? I don't want to do this incorrectly.

It's a deal!

I just happen to own a magical accordion which I got out of my grandparent's barn over 20 years ago. They had died so it was only semi grifted. I am headed down to Costa Rica in December for some severe AND serious fellowship with my family. Should I bring my godly instrument with me to convert the hedonistic, idol worshiping, Catholic Ticos over to the real Jebus? Do you think I will have time to convert them all? I will be there for about 3 1/2 weeks.

PS Do I set up a Pay Pal account or a Go Fund Me account? I don't want to do this incorrectly.

Neither because the Lord is going to lay it on your heart to send me that magical accordion. :wink-kitty:

I'm having the worst luck getting people to pay for my extended vacation mission trip to Scotland. :cry:

You and me both! Maybe I should push out about 8 more kids, throw them in a pop up trailer, put a ceiling fan in the middle of my van, and go from church to church and get sponsorship. Then maybe I'd have more luck getting people to pay for my Scotland 'mission' trip.

Now, what was the name of Octomom's fertility doctor again? If I had 8 more kids at one I'd be able to get started winning souls for Jesus sooner!

Could someone please send me some ferrets since i am diving in part 4 :pull-hair: the first 3 a managed without but i am not sure i can survive the last bit :ew:

See you later!

I am consistently bothered by what I see as rediculous waste of donor money. The electric piano that John packed and shipped origionally was destroyed in transit. Recently , his father is shipping another one to him from (probably) Texas, and hoping it makes it to Zambia.

Meanwhile, in Lasuka, there is a large music store that has a variety of electric pianos and keyboards. Since I found it without going to Zambia, it seems odd John and company couldn't. From less than 2000 to over 6000, they have digital pianos, and what look like full size keyboards for less than 1000. Even if prices were higher there, they likely are not higher than 2 times as much plus 2 international shipping fees. Why are they so unwilling to spend on the local economy for items like this while being willing to take up collections from their local marks congregation.

.theonlymusicstore.com/Keyboards

Why are they so unwilling to spend on the local economy for items like this while being willing to take up collections from their local marks congregation.

.theonlymusicstore.com/Keyboards

'Cause that would mean John would have to acclimate to the culture and, per John's thinking, everything that comes out of the United States is FAR superior to anything he can get in Zambia, don'cha know?

Because without a keyboard, those Zambians might resort to using SECULAR instruments in worship!!!! You know, like GUITARS!!! **GASP** or DRUMS!!!!!!!!!!!! **FAINT**

I finally saw this entry and...damn. That's not a young man, that's a child. John is thrilled that the kid says he loves the Shraders and wants to call John "Uncle". That is not right.

I doubt John would appreciate it if his former neighbors at the mosque invited his kids to services without him, but it sounds like Innocent has been to John's church multiple times without his parents. I thought taking advantage of young adults with trouble backgrounds was bad, but John just gets more and more predatory.

I doubt John would appreciate it if his former neighbors at the mosque invited his kids to services without him, but it sounds like Innocent has been to John's church multiple times without his parents. I thought taking advantage of young adults with trouble backgrounds was bad, but John just gets more and more predatory.

He can't convert adult souls, so he's going for the children instead. Desperate, eh Johnny Boy?

Just a note, but in my experience teaching a lot of African immigrants from a variety of countries, names like Blessing and Innocent aren't that unusual. I had a Precious last year, and I have a Promise and a Success this year.

John is playing with fire letting that kid come to services without the parents knowing.

He has come to church the last three weeks, and asked me today if he could call me Uncle and told me he loves us.

We sure love him and it is wonderful to see him responding to that love. I'm honored he wants to call me "Uncle".

If Zambia is anything like Tanzania, culturally, the children typically call adults "Auntie" and "Uncle" just like kids in the geographic area where I live would say "Mr. John" and "Miss Esther." It isn't necessarily that the kid thinks of John as a relative. I would think it's just a term of endearment/respect that children use with adults.

'Cause that would mean John would have to acclimate to the culture and, per John's thinking, everything that comes out of the United States is FAR superior to anything he can get in Zambia, don'cha know?

Because if the need to pay for shipping they can milk their followers for more and more money.

Most people in North America assume all of Africa is like the various save the children commercials so of course you have to go to Africa to save them. If you can buy things there, then maybe things aren't as sure and the people there may actually have religious beliefs that you would have to acknowledge. Capitalism and religion seems to go hand in hand for this type of Prptestants do if the can actually buy things like a piano like you would in the U.S., then maybe God has already blessed these people and they don't need to be saved.

Wouldn't it be novel idea to...oh...I dunno...let the Zambians play their own instruments in church or at least, sing their types of songs or be encouraged to write their own songs for church? Why do they have to learn John's music, accompanied by John's instruments, to John's rhythm and tempo? Why do they have to the chairs in rows? How about sitting in a circle? Or a square? Why does their have to be a baptismal pool inside? Can't they build one outside?

John is apparently incapable of contextualizing the message he is trying to preach. No, it must be wrapped up and presented in Texas/American tracts, clothing, lingo, rhetoric, music, instrumentation, and even King James language!

(The Gideons (the people who pass out the pocket New Testaments on college campuses) have always passed out KJV. I always ask them, "Why? What about our international students? Wouldn't a modern translation be a whole lot more applicable to the English they speak? [Which is often better than our own!]" I was bowled over last year, when the Gideons brought the ESV (English Standard Version) NTs to our campus.)

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived