IGNORED

John Shrader in Zambia Pt 5: Witnessing, Weeping & Wondering

happy atheist

9 minutes ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

If this was a novel about a 19th century missionary, with the words, "Pray that God will continually keep the reality of my depravity before me," I'd be looking for a half-white baby in the town.  However, he really is a ridiculous little man and I have no doubt his "depravity" is all in his head Maybe he ate all of the children's candy or something.

Nah, John is too selfish to feel guilt over eating his children's candy.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Peas n carrots said:

Actually a very apt thought. I wonder when Shradenfreude's visa expires?

:pb_lol: I love it!

So I take a couple of weeks off and all hell breaks loose in Shraderland.  I'm only surprised that Shraderfriend didn't pay us a visit so I could miss him again! :annoyed:

No surprise that Esther is preggers again.  I truly hope all goes well for her and the babe.

Holy hyperbole, John.  What have you been doing - lusting in your heart after some nubile Zambian? 

Or is there the smallest chance that you realize that your failure to suppress your sex drive or use contraception has resulted in another pregnancy, risking your wife's health, and providing yet another child for your misguided donors to support? 

This bit actually gave me a tiny ray of hope for a second:  "I thank God for reviewing, revealing, and thus reminding me of the true depths of the "filth of the flesh" by graciously giving me a glance into the gutter of my sin nature"  followed by "I covet and greatly need your prayer support, as the World, my wicked flesh, and the Devil have all conspired to conquer me, cast me down, and cause me to crave fulfilling the lusts of my flesh instead of leaning on, living in, and being led by Christ through His Word by His Spirit."

But then I realized that the nubile Zambian tempting you to sin was far more likely. 

All that self-flagellating is really humble bragging, you know.  It translates as "Pray for me!!!111eleventy!!!!!111!!! because I'm so spiritually superior that I can tell when I am drifting from the straight and narrow path and am publically confessing my failures." 

And then a couple of days later John claims that as a missionary he sees with great clarity?  That is such bull.  I think he may need new glasses.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2015 at 2:05 PM, countressrascal said:

I think there might be some problem with their VISA. The only reason I am saying that is that we are applying for VISAs for the medical team to go this summer for 16 weeks and they have changed the requirements for exPats to receive work VISA's. You now have to deposit enough money for a return plane tickets to your country of origin with the government unless your supporting organization provide necessary paperwork that they have the means to pay, must employe a certain number of locals and pay them local wages or provide training so they can support themselves the biggie you can not ask for money or change for your services unless you are associated with a native company or organization. Only a thought.

Yes.  I remember looking this up ages ago on the Zambian govt. site, but the rules have changed a bit since then.  John's initial Visa was dependent on his Sending Church committing to covering all his expenses, but presumably Daddy took over that responsibility when John got dumped.  Although he refers to having a "work permit" he only has a missionary visa that has to be renewed annually, IIRC.  He is not allowed to work or set up a business so the well might certainly get him into trouble.

He was affiliated with the "national" Pastor, Bro. Douglas (who we haven't heard a peep about for ages), when he first applied for his Visa and Residency Permit.  Presumably he claims to be providing training, but I wonder whether he is going to provide some sort of stipends to his followers to get around the employment of locals requirement.  Interesting.

I wonder if buying land and building things might also cause some issues. He originally said he would not do anything like that, but all of a sudden he is buying land, building a building to teach men, and digging a well. I'm not sure what the laws are about doing those things in Zambia, but John has a tendency to half-ass it when it comes to following rules and regulations, so I can see him skipping over filling out any necessary forms. The "satan" that is attacking him might very well be a government official asking about proper paperwork to build a school to train men and dig a well. 

I love Google.  According to this site http://www.chaseveritt.co.zm/nonres.shp John can't own land in Zambia unless he has permanent residency - and I don't think he qualifies for that.

Permanent Resident

A non-Zambian can own property if they have an entry permit which gives them permanent residency in Zambia.

A non-Zambian can apply for an entry permit if:

they have been in continuous employment for 12 years under a work permit

they have held a self-employment permit for a 3 years and run a viable business

His other options are to form a cooperative with Zambians or to apply to be "a non-profit making charitable, religious, educational or philanthropic organisation or institution which is registered and approved by the Minister of Lands."

I bet he never considered any of that.  God should have warned him!

48 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

All that self-flagellating is really humble bragging, you know.  It translates as "Pray for me!!!111eleventy!!!!!111!!! because I'm so spiritually superior that I can tell when I am drifting from the straight and narrow path and am publically confessing my failures." 

I think you're right on target here, Palimpsest.

True humility in his postings would be talking less about himself and focusing on why he's supposedly there:  the people of Zambia.  There is another missionary in Zambia I follow on Facebook and his posts are almost exclusively about the people there and what is happening in their lives.

True story:  there is a missionary I know in an African country who, like John, struck out on his own and raised his own support, the major difference being that this man is single.  His presentations at church would bring tears to my eyes as he talked with such love about the core group of men he was reaching out to and how they were always welcome in his humble home (they were welcome to sleep, eat, and hang out there, if they wanted).  He knows each of those men like a brother and is like family to them, welcome in their homes as well.  Instead of handing out tracts, he distributes memory cards they can use in whatever electronic devices they might have, to listen to the Bible through their earbuds.  Since many come from families/cultures that would condemn them for becoming Christians, they can "safely" hear scripture without drawing attention to themselves and getting into trouble.  This man never begged for money, he only asked for prayer support and would share stories and pictures with us.  He never bragged about himself at all but would brag on his friends in the country where he lived.

46 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Although he refers to having a "work permit" he only has a missionary visa that has to be renewed annually, IIRC.  He is not allowed to work or set up a business so the well might certainly get him into trouble.

So, that means he HAS to give the water away for free which gives his neighbor all the more cause to go to the officials and claim that John is interfering with his business.  This, I would think, could cause big problems for him in getting a visa renewed.  Of course, Satan gets the credit for that, not John's ignorance of his surroundings, the way life works in Kafue, or his failure to plan ahead.

1 hour ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

So, that means he HAS to give the water away for free which gives his neighbor all the more cause to go to the officials and claim that John is interfering with his business

Yeah, when you start interfering with someone's livelihood, things can get really ugly.

3 hours ago, happy atheist said:

Please say hello to our newest post count title: Alliterating for the Almighty :cool:

Sadly, Shrader's stupidity suppresses satisfaction in sorting sentences with syllables sounding somewhat similar SEVERELY!

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived