IGNORED

AMY DUGGAR ENGAGED - scratch that - MARRIED

RabbitKM

Here it is becoming out of fashion to get engaged, but normally when you do (i did it) you would wear your engagement ring on the left hand and your wedding ring on your right hand. The engagement ring goes in a box before or after the wedding.

The wedding band is normally a band with inscription inside (name of your spouse and the wedding date)

I only had one ring with 3 stones 1 it with my engagement date, name, wedding date in it.

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, I vote not pregnant, but yet started taking birth control. She did say they were waiting for marriage..and that they didn't want to have kids right away... so she probably started taking birth control recently and the boobage is definitely a side affect of that!

We didn't do rings when we got married. (We did a magistrate wedding and didn't tell our relatives until after the fact. The Mister went over a year before he broke the news to his mother - shows you the closeness in that relationship before it completely imploded a couple of years back.)

While we're pretty unconventional in many respects, we did eventually get rings. They're matching stainless steel and together I think they cost $25. We wear them when we leave the house but at home I rarely put mine on. There's no way I could sleep in it as my fingers swell at night.

I guess we got them because of the social messages they send (although because mine isn't flashy, I have had several people ask if it actually is a wedding band). Neither of us is the type of person to really care though if the other is wearing theirs.

On engagement rings:

- I remove mine when I know I'll be exercising in order to protect it and keep it from getting stuck on my finger due to swelling. I also remove it when washing my hands (or dishes), showering, or cooking.

- In my family, it's been said you wear the wedding band beneath (closer to the hand) because the engagement ring is the "protector" ring. To us, the wedding ring is the important one and some wear it in that order to keep the wedding band from slipping off - and I've personally found my wedding ring feels a bit looser than my engagement ring, so that order may be necessary for me when we get married.

- The whole three months salary crap was started by a diamond company (I think DeBeers.) If you want to spend that much go ahead; just realize it's a guideline started by people who make money off diamond sales. Fiancé and I found it ridiculous to consider spending that much when it came to us personally - he made the decision to go with a budget closer to one month.

- As for left or right, I wear mine on my left hand because it's more comfortable. I'm right-handed and rings on that hand would just get in the way as I try to do normal stuff. The whole "close to the heart" stuff is overly sappy to me, so I choose to ignore it. :lol:

- And you get used to wearing rings. If you have the right size you can adapt pretty fast. I originally didn't want an engagement ring because I though it would be uncomfortable - but I've found its way more comfortable then I expected.

- Monetary risks are like another poster said. Most couples insure the ring through their rental or homeowner's insurance. That way if the ring is lost you're covered.

- My ring is three stone and white-gold. Three is my favorite number and we both like how white-gold looks. Fiancé actually took me to the store and asked my opinion - we both wound up loving this specific ring, so when he went back to buy one he knew exactly which one he wanted to get. My wedding band is a simple plain white-gold band - because I like things that are simple and not overly dramatic. :)

Now that Amy is no longer engaged, but actually married, would this be a good time to start a new thread?

Oh, and congrats and best wishes to Amy and hubby.

Some new info:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/exclusive-am ... 00027.html

- They gave Anna and Michelle gifts to make them feel welcomed. Michelle got a gift card to he favorite restaurant and Anna got a gift card to get her nails done (Amy said Anna deserves to be a bit pampered.)

I actually find this kind of sweet. Especially doing something a little nice for Anna. Maybe one of the J-Slaves could watch the kids while she goes relax or one could go with her and just have some girl time.

- Dillon flat out says Anna should leave Josh because (and I paraphrase), "you don't just browse online for mistresses." He also points out that Matthew states that adultery is a valid reason for divorce.

Oh snap! Shots fired! :lol: I know nothing about him, but I like him just for this. #freedills!

- Amy thinks Anna should think of her options when she's alone - basically, a nice way of saying other people should butt out and not tell Anna what to do.

Actually a good piece of advice in my opinon, but who knows if it'll happen.

- Amy changed into a gold dress with a jeweled collar for dancing. They were happy and grateful her Uncle's family could be there.

So I guess we aren't getting a video of Jim Bob with his arm on Amy's shoulder saying, "Oh Amy, I remember when you were younger and growing up and here you are, getting married! You know, the lord..."

I've never been to a wedding where the bride kept her engagement ring on during the service, at least that I'd noticed. I didn't think of putting it on the left hand or I would have - that's smart. I had my sister hold mine and put it back on right after before pictures.

I meant to move mine to a different finger but totally forgot until after the ceremony had started. I did it quickly while the officiant was talking.

I'm not married... but the thing that weirds me out about the engagement/wedding ring tradition is... isn't it uncomfortable wearing rings every single day? Do you sweat underneath your rings? Do they get caught on things? Don't you worry about losing them and then losing not only the sentimental value but a bunch of monetary value too? I would be so scared. As feminine as I am, I really don't like wearing jewelry because I find it uncomfortable and I'm always afraid of it falling off.

I don't wear jewelry often and I felt the same as you before I was married. I've been wearing my rings every day for 6 years now and they don't bother me at all. My engagement ring is insured. My wedding band isn't worth much beyond sentimental value because it was my grandmother's. When I wear one of them it feels a but loose but when I have them both on it feels a lot more snug which makes me feel better. I take them off if there is any chance of losing them (swimming, doing dishes, shower, bathing the kids, skiing, sometimes hiking)

Wait, the normal in the us is to wearing the engagement ring with the wedding banda? To wearing a fucking Diamond ring that costs a fucking portion of your liver everyday?

Of course we wear them every day. Should a beautiful sentimental ring sit in a box in a drawer? And I know, I know, the US "has a lot of crime" but I've never known anyone to be mugged for their rings.

Some new info:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/exclusive-am ... 00027.html

- They gave Anna and Michelle gifts to make them feel welcomed. Michelle got a gift card to he favorite restaurant and Anna got a gift card to get her nails done (Amy said Anna deserves to be a bit pampered.)

I actually find this kind of sweet. Especially doing something a little nice for Anna. Maybe one of the J-Slaves could watch the kids while she goes relax or one could go with her and just have some girl time.

- Dillon flat out says Anna should leave Josh because (and I paraphrase), "you don't just browse online for mistresses." He also points out that Matthew states that adultery is a valid reason for divorce.

Oh snap! Shots fired! :lol: I know nothing about him, but I like him just for this. #freedills!

- Amy thinks Anna should think of her options when she's alone - basically, a nice way of saying other people should butt out and not tell Anna what to do.

Actually a good piece of advice in my opinon, but who knows if it'll happen.

- Amy changed into a gold dress with a jeweled collar for dancing. They were happy and grateful her Uncle's family could be there.

Feels a little like a peace offering to me. Anna and Michelle may have been threatening not to go to the wedding after all the anonymous sources and interviews Amy did. Maybe this was Amy's way of thanking them for showing up to her wedding after some unpleasantness in the last few weeks. Just some speculation here.

The dress is a lot plainer than I expected. And a lot bustier.

She looks gorgeous though!

I'm Australian and wear my engagement ring every day along with wedding ring. On my left hand. My ring is very comfy & got use to it quickly.

Also don't think she's pregnant. I just think she would be using protection and she did drink at her bachelorette party.

I looked at her IG and didn't see a drink in her hand. So, while the friends drank, she might not have.

Feels a little like a peace offering to me. Anna and Michelle may have been threatening not to go to the wedding after all the anonymous sources and interviews Amy did. Maybe this was Amy's way of thanking them for showing up to her wedding after some unpleasantness in the last few weeks. Just some speculation here.

Completely possible. I do think it was nice of Amy to try and make them feel welcome - especially Anna. She needs a bit of kindness shown to her right now and I think Any's gift was a nice way to go about it.

Just found these on Insta

image.jpg1_zps7zlpbipw.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsnwcta3rl.jpg

I know someone said that we wouldn't have even mentioned her boobs if it weren't for the fundie association, but...nope, even if she were a Zen Buddhist, I'd notice that the top of that dress is too small. Still a very pretty dress, but it needs to be up maybe a half size.

Now, with that aside, mazel tov, Amy, and it sounds like you had an awesome wedding.

Of course we wear them every day. Should a beautiful sentimental ring sit in a box in a drawer? And I know, I know, the US "has a lot of crime" but I've never known anyone to be mugged for their rings.

I'm about Amy's age, and that's the "traditional" thing to do. But lots of women in their 20s and 30s are wearing plain bands, gemstone rings, no ring, all kinds of stuff. I don't even own a real diamond because of my beliefs. In her Southern Pinterest style, this is the norm, but it's definitely not what everyone is doing, especially in the big city, if you will.

Greeks in Greece do not have the custom of separate engagement rings. Your engagement ring actually becomes your wedding band. You give a gold band that is put on the left hand during the religious engagement ceremony. The band is switched to the right hand during the wedding ceremony. You then wear your wedding ring on your RIGHT hand.

Same in Austria, with a slight difference: bride and groom take the rings off before the wedding and they are put on a small tablet or pillow and then the husband puts the ring on the right hand of his wife during the ceremony and vice versa. But in recent years jewellers try to make engagement rings with diamonds the new fashon. (Don't know how many they sell, as few people here get officially engaged before they marry.)

"It's a relief," she tells ET exclusively. "It feels like the stress is gone. I don't have to be perfect anymore. I don't have to worry about wearing long skirts. And I got to marry my best friend!"

That's an interesting comment considering she's always worn pants around the Duggars.

But maybe JB has always pressured her about pants and now that she's "under someone else's authority" it's not as big of a deal.

She and Dillion are being awfully open about their comments now. Not that I think it's a bad thing, but considering the speculation that she's been an anonymous source, I wonder why it matters now. Unless she's not the anonymous source - I tend to think Jessa and Ben have been behind a few things.

Buffy, you're cracking me up over here. :laughing-rolling:

I can't see Amy's earrings too well, but they look nice to me. And that's awesome if her dad made them.

Her dress is a little plain for my liking, but she looks really nice. And OMG, the boobs. First rule of being busty is that the girls must be contained at all times. You have to continuously keep track of their movements and whereabouts, lest they escape into the ether.

My only real question is how did she not suffer some kind of a wardrobe malfunction, with such an improperly fitted bust? Hell, if it was me, I would have at least invested in shoulder straps in the interest of double-bagging, even if I did want to keep the snug size to showcase them!

This says they did a "send off" for the duggars after dinner before the party got started. Seems weird, maybe they could have just quietly slipped out.

http://m.etonline.com/news/171402_insid ... arty_more/

The way I read it, the send off wasn't about the Duggars, it was more to say "It's party time now!" after all or most of the traditional wedding reception activities (first dances, toasts, etc) were done. Ive never experienced it so explicit, but whatever, it was their wedding!

"...as dozens of children, including Josh and Anna's four kids, noshed on playful kabobs of powdered-sugar donuts, caramel apple pops and even Pixie Stix." - Can you say 'sugar rush'?

I'm not married... but the thing that weirds me out about the engagement/wedding ring tradition is... isn't it uncomfortable wearing rings every single day? Do you sweat underneath your rings? Do they get caught on things? Don't you worry about losing them and then losing not only the sentimental value but a bunch of monetary value too? I would be so scared. As feminine as I am, I really don't like wearing jewelry because I find it uncomfortable and I'm always afraid of it falling off.

I am not much of a jewelry person either. It took me a while to get used to mine. I did knock it against things a lot in the beginning and it make be nervous. But eventually it was no big deal. I always took it off to shower and sleep though.

Well, Amy's dress isn't really my style (not that it matters, of course...ha!) But I do think it seems a bit ill-fitting. And it makes her seem incredibly short waisted. That said...I don't think she looks bad at all. And she looks quite happy. The top looks a bit better in the Instagram photo than the one posted on media sites.

Archived