IGNORED

All Things Dillard - Part 4

happy atheist

I caution you to not believe everything you read about the trip. It hasn't been confirmed that it was just for a month. The article about that was written mostly with conjecture. The Tears that Joy and Jenny shed were not tears of "I will see you in a month". They were tears of "I don't know for sure, when I will see you again". While the rest of the video was scripted and completely dumb, the emotion of Joy felt sincere to me. I think the Dillards are going longer than a month. El Salvador might not even be their final destination. They may be training to go elsewhere, and are starting with El Salvador because it is a known entity for them and good place to start.

Right or Wrong, I think Derick does have a missionary's mindset. And I would think that his time in Nepal was long enough to give a realistic taste of missionary work, at least as young single guy. It will be very different of course as the dad/husband of a wife and new baby.

I would also add Derick wouldn't say that the opportunity came to him. These are scheduled trips so I'm leaning towards not a month long trip for Jillard.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't they give away all their stuff in the house to the family? For only a month? Where are they going to live when they comeback? I can't imagine Derick would want to be back under a roof that JB owns.

I'm sceptical of any tabloid article, but impressed no one has leaked the location yet!

I think it will be good for Jill, no matter where they go, as long as it's actually long term - six months or longer. No matter how entrenched your beliefs, that amount of time in a different culture changes you, even if only slightly.

Didn't they give away all their stuff in the house to the family? For only a month? Where are they going to live when they comeback? I can't imagine Derick would want to be back under a roof that JB owns.

I doubt Derick cares if the house is owned by JB or not. He clearly doesn't have much desire to work in the real World.

What I find so colossally offensive, is that most countries around the world have their own defined faiths. So I am not sure why we feel we need to go in there and act like these people have no faith based system. I am really embarrassed that so many Christians have the arrogant idea that they know what is best for people.

I can respect the fact that you are personally offended, but embarrassed? This is nothing new. Evangelical Christians are dedicated to promoting the good news about Jesus Christ and hope to persuade others to accept that Christ died for their sins and the only was to salvation is though belief that Jesus is our savior. It's been that way for decades in many if not the majority of Christian sects. Catholics do missions trips all the time and people rarely consider Catholics embarrassing or cultish.

Didn't they give away all their stuff in the house to the family? For only a month? Where are they going to live when they comeback?

Given this I suspect they will be gone for a lot longer than a month. I have no clue how long but both Derick and Jill were both pretty passionate about missionary work before the courtship/marriage and I doubt that has left either of them. Jill will obviously have more restrictions than before, but I bet they both are intending to do long term missionary work.

The Inquistir got their info (speculations) about SOS Ministries from Pickles, not exactly who I’d call a reliable source. FWIW, I heard a separate rumor that the Dillards are planning to stay in El Salvador for around two months and then transition to Nepal for the long term. I do think Nepal always was and is their preferred destination. Derick seems to have strong ties there and he talked often about going back as a missionary with his family one day. El Salvador became their backup plan after their Nepal plans fell through, whether that was because of the earthquake, Josh scandal, TLC canceling the show or all three.

Does anyone think Dan might have gone to the mission field with Derick and Jill? Check out Cathy's most recent tweet which got me wondering. I think it was in response to someone who asked her if she was sad about Derick leaving.

Cathy @cldilla

So proud of ALL my kids as they seek to know, follow & serve God above all else! @JustDanD_ @jillmdillard @derick4Him

That makes total sense, though I wouldn't compare walking girls down aisle to his bible time reaction as wedding is a whole day of heighten emotion, but anyway you totally set me straight.

But a few things I'm confused about now. If JB didn't want Jillymuffin to go off with a missionary:

1) while Derick was in Tibet was he keeping his missionary interest a secret?

2) why did JB say that is the big thing they have in common and in fact mention to Derick she is really interested in C. America.

3) Rumor is they are going to El Salvador with SOS-- isn't JB BFFs with Mike Schadt? So I would guess that before any "opportunity" came to Derick, it would go through JB. At least to feel him out. Who knows, I could see JB pitching it. And this all happen pre-scandal... so Mike looked forward to this family pimping his ministry-- why would he want to piss of JB.

4) Have you noticed how many staged announcements they've done during "Bible Time?" Ah well I'm sure this one is different. The Duggars don't recreate things (except for gender reveals) or lie (insert your favorite one here)

ETA: took out an extraneous word

I do acknowledge your points :P and I wasn't trying to change your mind, ok maybe a little but its the internet! :shrug: The edges of this whole thing don't line up quite perfectly to me. But then again, its the Duggars, nothing lines up quite right! Thanks for the discussion!

Edited to add, because I've spoken about it upthread, that I do understand the Dillard's missionary mindset had been much touted from the beginning and frankly, besides them shoving bibles down people's throats, I'm happy they are getting out of Arkansas. But I stand by that being a weird goodbye video and it did look to me that there was SOME tension between Derick and JimBob (and Jill and JB, for that matter) and I was just speculating on what that might be. With JB's controlling track record, and Jill's favorite status, etc....hope that makes sense. Ok now I'm just :dead-horse: LOL

I can respect the fact that you are personally offended, but embarrassed? This is nothing new. Evangelical Christians are dedicated to promoting the good news about Jesus Christ and hope to persuade others to accept that Christ died for their sins and the only was to salvation is though belief that Jesus is our savior. It's been that way for decades in many if not the majority of Christian sects. Catholics do missions trips all the time and people rarely consider Catholics embarrassing or cultish.

It is embarrassing that Evangelicals think that the most important part of their mission is to inform other Christians that they are doing Christianity wrong. Catholics already believe that Christ died for their sins and that Jesus is their savior-blahblah.

Yes, Catholics do missions but their focus is on serving the poor, not converting them.

"Catholics = Wrong Beliefs"

Yes, and that is what is embarrassing. Catholics are just as Christian as Evangelicals are. It is so arrogant, ignorant, bigoted and a waste of resources to "convert Catholics to Christianity".

I saw this too. One month makes.sense with his teeth needing monitoring.

But the whole we'll come visit you....

In the next month?

In South America.

Money really can't be an issue at all even with lawyer fees.

El Salvador is in Central America and sits north of the Panama Canal, which means it's still in North America, not South America. Just fyi. :geek:

qryYJOBl.png

The irony being that the Duggars have a lot more in common with ultra-orthodox catholics than they'd care to admit.

I do acknowledge your points :P and I wasn't trying to change your mind, ok maybe a little but its the internet! :shrug: The edges of this whole thing don't line up quite perfectly to me. But then again, its the Duggars, nothing lines up quite right! Thanks for the discussion!

Edited to add, because I've spoken about it upthread, that I do understand the Dillard's missionary mindset had been much touted from the beginning and frankly, besides them shoving bibles down people's throats, I'm happy they are getting out of Arkansas. But I stand by that being a weird goodbye video and it did look to me that there was SOME tension between Derick and JimBob (and Jill and JB, for that matter) and I was just speculating on what that might be. With JB's controlling track record, and Jill's favorite status, etc....hope that makes sense. Ok now I'm just :dead-horse: LOL

I guess I just don't get why people think that Jim Bob couldn't, quite naturally, be both happy and proud that his daughter is going to fulfill a dream she's always had - AND incredibly sad and shocked and emotionally torn that she's going to be moving far, far away and he'll rarely see her?

Any other reaction from a parent is what would seem odd, to me. If one of my adult children , and their family, was moving far away to pursue a career they've always wanted -- on one level I'd be happy for them and supportive. But Ieven more, I'd be torn up about it. I think that's completely normal.

According to some christians Catholics aren't christians because they follow man (Pope) and not God. Stupidest thing I've ever heard. Then christians think catholics worship Mary. Far from the truth.

The Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church are the two first and oldest Churches in Christianity.

Yes, and that is what is embarrassing. Catholics are just as Christian as Evangelicals are. It is so arrogant, ignorant, bigoted and a waste of resources to "convert Catholics to Christianity".

Don't you know we Catholics are filthy idol-worshiping papists? :roll: :roll:

"On a Jesus Vacation" wouldn't be a bad post count title :lol:

I'm cracking up over here, bingbangboom!

Thanks!

Although, one has to wonder why the correct kind of Jesus isn't peddled by SOS to the poor heathens living in the Vatican...

Edited because my phone submits easier than I do!

Derick has a soul patch!

I actually thought "who is the weird dude with Dan" when I saw that. I didn't even realize it was Derick until I saw the other comments.

I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic school from pre-k through 12th grade. I was never taught that I needed to go out and try to get other people to be Catholic. That whole concept is so messed up to me. I always find it super obnoxious when any religion feels it's their place to "spread the good news" or whatever. I have had so many people come to my door or walk up to me at the gas station or whatever. It's rude and wrong in my opinion. Maybe some Catholics do this too but I'm thankful it's not something I was ever taught. My school did offer mission trips to people. But they went over and helped fix up schools or something. I remember seeing a lot of photos of people painting and doing other manual labor type stuff.

I actually thought "who is the weird dude with Dan" when I saw that. I didn't even realize it was Derick until I saw the other comments.

That's funny bc I thought who is the bleached blonde weirdo with Derick. It's like that old Reese's chocolate peanut butter debate.

The irony being that the Duggars have a lot more in common with ultra-orthodox catholics than they'd care to admit.

I'm not Catholic, but Pope Francis is the coolest pope ever. Seems funny that just as they're getting it right :wink-kitty: :) we have Jill and Derick coming down there to paint nails, hand out fundie goodie bags, and sway the public.

I prefer the irony that the Duggars have more in common with Caliphate desiring Muslim Jihadists than they care to admit.

edit: Oh plus there is the irony that a country called El Salvador needs to convert to Christianity.

Haha, very true.

But the general point about them having a lot in common with extremists still stands.I mean, I was talking about them with my family after the scandal, and upon hearing the large amount of children + abuse, my dad asked me, "so are they FLDS?"

You know you're doing something wrong when people can easily compare you to other cults/terrorist groups. Ha.

Also the irony that they went to Nepal and actually wanted to convert people when they can't get people to join in their own country.

Haha, very true.

But the general point about them having a lot in common with extremists still stands.I mean, I was talking about them with my family after the scandal, and upon hearing the large amount of children + abuse, my dad asked me, "so are they FLDS?"

You know you're doing something wrong when people can easily compare you to other cults/terrorist groups. Ha.

Also the irony that they went to Nepal and actually wanted to convert people when they can't get people to join in their own country.

Something that gives me pause is if they can't get their whack agenda passed here, they could try in other countries. I think of Uganda's "anti homosexual act." This passed with help from 3 evangelical Americans. Imagine the trouble Duggars could potentially politically start in other countries.

I knew Mel Gibson was batshit long before "sugar tits" and "it's the Jews' fault," just based on him being ultra catholic and against the changes made by Vatican II. You can't be that religious and not have something wrong with you.

The thing about Catholics not being as annoyingly evangelical as fundies is that--they sort of won that war, no? The Catholic Church as been around for so long, had it's bloody phase of colonialism and is so entrenched in cultures around the world that they don't HAVE to be annoying fuckwits like evangelical Protestants.

Archived