IGNORED

All Things Dillard - Part 4

happy atheist

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a poignant time in Jill's life as she has just married, quite happily it would seem and had a child. Hopefully that would overshadow the public acknowledgement of her molestation by her brother....give her somewhere else to focus as it were.

I like Jill .....don't agree with the fundie lifestyle at all or with proselytizing....but I wish the Dillies all the best. The only mission I would have ever gone on would be to build housing and provide needed medical care and food. Why would my religion be any better than theirs....or why would I think they would want another one. Dunno,

I fully support humanitarian efforts in underserved and impoverished areas. I am not a big fan of "missionary" work, but if someone is going into that field, I would hope that they actually try to do something useful and without strings attached for the recipients of their efforts.

If someone wants to go into an area and find a way to provide fresh water, or shelter, food, etc and live in a peaceful Christian way that is great. If by observing these Christian aid workers, the locals ask to learn more about the faith, then fine.

I have no idea what kind of "work" Jill and Derick plan to do. I wish we knew a bit more about what Derick did in Nepal before he met Jill. Was he a "working missionary" or was he a proselytizing missionary? To work vigorously and draw upon your faith for endurance and patience is admirable. To walk among the poor and hungry and just preach Jesus and the bible is worthless. Jesus fed people, Jesus healed people, Jesus washed people.

So.....you all seem to think it would be better if a dozen years after being sexually molested she was spending a significant amount of her day thinking about it? That hardly seems in any way normal.

Umm, no? I don't see how you got that, since the whole thing is disagreeing with the idea that Jill would be having such a hard time a dozen years later.

Archived