IGNORED

All Things Dillard - Part 4

happy atheist

I knew Mel Gibson was batshit long before "sugar tits" and "it's the Jews' fault," just based on him being ultra catholic and against the changes made by Vatican II. You can't be that religious and not have something wrong with you.

The thing about Catholics not being as annoyingly evangelical as fundies is that--they sort of won that war, no? The Catholic Church as been around for so long, had it's bloody phase of colonialism and is so entrenched in cultures around the world that they don't HAVE to be annoying fuckwits like evangelical Protestants.

They're still HELLA problematic as far as public relations, and have a shit ton to answer for, RE, the laundries, the molestation scandal, and don't get me started on Mother Teresa.

Not to mention the higher-ups try to infiltrate the public sphere as much as possible.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The irony being that the Duggars have a lot more in common with ultra-orthodox catholics than they'd care to admit.

I prefer the irony that the Duggars have more in common with Caliphate desiring Muslim Jihadists than they care to admit.

edit: Oh plus there is the irony that a country called El Salvador needs to convert to Christianity.

They're still HELLA problematic as far as public relations, and have a shit ton to answer for, RE, the laundries, the molestation scandal, and don't get me started on Mother Teresa.

Not to mention the higher-ups try to infiltrate the public sphere as much as possible.

I miss Christopher Hitchens!

I have been out all weekend and traveling for work last week, I was hoping to come back and find the FJ sleuths figured out where the Dillards are spreading the good news. I just want to know if they are going to place to convert Catholics or a country that doesn't allow prophesizing.

I can't believe TMZ, etc couldn't figure out where they went based on the airport information, but then again Duggars are E rated celebrities, so they probably really don't care.

I'd bet $20 that most members of the Duggar Family, in spite of their Spanish lessons w/ Marjorie's family, don't know what "El Salvador" means.

I'm struck by this posting on the SOS Ministries website, which seems to not have been updated in a while:

"Country Highlights:

El Salvador – A fellowship and multi-purpose building called La Esperanza (The Hope), is now established and reproducing.

Honduras – The planting of a fellowship work has been initiated and is growing with the appointment of a missionary couple from the El Salvador mission and the purchase of a home.

Guatemala – A ministry that is in its infant stage. The El Salvador/US church led mission is now seeking to appoint a missionary for a new work."

Might the Dillards be spending sometime at the El Salvador mission, and then move on to Guatemala as the newly appointed missionaries?

El Salvador – A fellowship and multi-purpose building called La Esperanza (The Hope), is now established and reproducing.

Seems rather pointless to send Duggars to a place that is "reproducing."

I found it amusing that in my facebook newsfeed today I saw a post from a dominatrix I follow [because I'm weird] that she is going to Nepal with a non religious volunteer group and is raising money for that.

I'd bet $20 that most members of the Duggar Family, in spite of their Spanish lessons w/ Marjorie's family, don't know what "El Salvador" means.

I'm struck by this posting on the SOS Ministries website, which seems to not have been updated in a while:

"Country Highlights:

Honduras – The planting of a fellowship work has been initiated and is growing with the appointment of a missionary couple from the El Salvador mission and the purchase of a home.

Guatemala – A ministry that is in its infant stage. The El Salvador/US church led mission is now seeking to appoint a missionary for a new work."

Might the Dillards be spending sometime at the El Salvador mission, and then move on to Guatemala as the newly appointed missionaries?

Please don't let them get sent to Guatemala. I studied abroad there during college. It's a beautiful country and I love it. They don't deserve torture by Dillard. I also highly doubt that the Dillard's would respect all the Mayan heritage that is prevalent in their culture, let alone their Catholicism.

If they do know what it means, at some point we'll probably hear (likely from Jim Boob) about how the "natives" may be Salvadoran but they don't know the true El Salvador. Like the Apostle Paul and the Athenians worshiping an unknown god (Acts 17).

JimBob probably pronounces "Mayan" like the month + an

Hehehe. I'd love to watch him (Or any Duggar) fall over himself to pronounce Xela/quetzaltenango. Or even quetzal. I bet they'd pronounce it Kwetzel.

Hehehe. I'd love to watch him (Or any Duggar) fall over himself to pronounce Xela/quetzaltenango. Or even quetzal. I bet they'd pronounce it Kwetzel.

or Kwetzelo

and then eventually morph in Wetzelo Pretzelo

I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic school from pre-k through 12th grade. I was never taught that I needed to go out and try to get other people to be Catholic. That whole concept is so messed up to me. I always find it super obnoxious when any religion feels it's their place to "spread the good news" or whatever. I have had so many people come to my door or walk up to me at the gas station or whatever. It's rude and wrong in my opinion. Maybe some Catholics do this too but I'm thankful it's not something I was ever taught. My school did offer mission trips to people. But they went over and helped fix up schools or something. I remember seeing a lot of photos of people painting and doing other manual labor type stuff.

Same goes for my school. There was a grade 12 mission trip to The Philippines every year at the end of the year. When I went we worked in Gawad Kalinga communities and help build homes for underprivileged families. At no time did we try to convert people. Yes, it is a predominantly Catholic country, but we didn't go there to push religion. We went to help build homes. We did have nightly mass and everyone was welcome, we prayed at meals, we offered prayer if it was asked for, but we went with the main intention of helping to build homes.

Please don't let them get sent to Guatemala. I studied abroad there during college. It's a beautiful country and I love it. They don't deserve torture by Dillard. I also highly doubt that the Dillard's would respect all the Mayan heritage that is prevalent in their culture, let alone their Catholicism.

YES! I've personally never been to latin America (I wish I could one day!) but I love the history. I took two classes on the subject when I was still in college. I'm not saying this as a way of proclaiming my expertise, far from it. I just love the history of the Americas in general.

And like you mentioned, Catholicism in these countries is often mixed with older traditions and indigenous beliefs. Regions often have their own interpretation and views of Catholicism and it's just perfect like that. Not to mention that the Catholic Church in Latin America was strongly linked with political activism in the 1960's and 70's, mainly focusing on fighting injustices, and interpreting the Gospel from the view of the poor (Liberation theology). Especially in the 70's, lots of priests were assassinated because of their political views and fight for the poors. The story of Archbishop Romero comes to mind (and he's Salvadorian!). But alas! I doubt the Duggars know even the tip of the iceberg of what went on in these countries in the last 40-50 years. Granted, their general historical knowledge must be limited indeed. Nonetheless, the only reason they visit El Salvador and want to learn Spanish is to ''save more souls''. That's another reason I find their so called missions so obnoxious. They don't care about the culture, nor the history of the countries they visit, not to mention the traditions of the native peoples at ALL. Not saying the Catholic church is much better in terms of native cultures though, but then I'd have to write another paragraph. ;-)

Edited just to clarify some sentences.

YES! I've personally never been to latin America (I wish I could one day!) but I love the history. I took two classes on the subject when I was still in college. I'm not saying this as a way of proclaiming my expertise, far from it. I just love the history of the Americas in general.

And like you mentioned, Catholicism in these countries is often mixed with older traditions and indigenous beliefs. Regions often have their own interpretation and views of Catholicism and it's just perfect like that. Not to mention that the Catholic Church in Latin America was strongly linked with political activism in the 1960's and 70's, mainly focusing on fighting injustices, and interpreting the Gospel from the view of the poor (Liberation theology). Especially in the 70's, lots of priests were assassinated because of their political views and fight for the poors. The story of Archbishop Romero comes to mind (and he's Salvadorian!). But alas! I doubt the Duggars know even the tip of the iceberg of what went on in these countries in the last 40-50 years. Granted, their general historical knowledge must be limited indeed. Nonetheless, the only reason they visit El Salvador and want to learn Spanish is to ''save more souls''. That's another reason I find their so called missions so obnoxious. They don't care about the culture, nor the history of the countries they visit, not to mention the traditions of the native peoples at ALL. Not saying the Catholic church is much better in terms of native cultures though, but then I'd have to write another paragraph. ;-)

Edited just to clarify some sentences.

The Catholic Church in Latin America then was really something, wasn't it? And then fucking Pope John Paul II came along and did away with all that. That historically evil institution was actually doing some real good in the world and empowering people politically for once, and he just couldn't allow that to happen. No, it was much more important to tell the poorest populations on earth to have as many children as possible and keep pedophile priests supplied with new victims.

Now we get to watch & see if the Dillards fly back for cousin Amy's wedding (see separate thread). If they are in Central America, perhaps. If farther away, such as Nepal, I really doubt that they will.

A part of me hopes they're in Poland so they can convert the Catholic masses. :lol: Probably not though. I can dream.

edited for riffles

I read in an old thread that SOS has a mission in a "mid-Asian" country that cannot be named due to security reasons.

Sound familiar?

Is that Nepal? or some other country?

I hope it is Iraq or Afghanistan muhahahaha!

I read in an old thread that SOS has a mission in a "mid-Asian" country that cannot be named due to security reasons.

Sound familiar?

Is that Nepal? or some other country?

I hope it is Iraq or Afghanistan muhahahaha!

Hm, perhaps Kazakhstan or Uzbekistan? Maybe Russia? The former are majority Muslim (Sunni), and the latter is primarily Eastern Orthodox.

soshope.org/ministries/mid-asia/

We are committed to planting home fellowships in Muslim cities to the glory of God.

Locations

Due to the sensitive nature and location of this area of the world, S.O.S. refrains from giving specific ministry locations.

-----------------------------

"Muslim city" rules out Nepal, which is only 4% Muslim.

http://www.soshope.org/ministries/mid-asia/

We are committed to planting home fellowships in Muslim cities to the glory of God.

Locations

Due to the sensitive nature and location of this area of the world, S.O.S. refrains from giving specific ministry locations.

-----------------------------

"Muslim city" rules out Nepal, which is only 4% Muslim.

Most Central Asian countries are majority Sunni, so that makes sense.

I'm looking up the threat levels of the countries in said geographical area as we speak.

edit: the only 2 countries with relatively high threat levels according to the Department of State are Uzbekistan and Afghanistan. The rest carry general crime warnings related to traffic incidents and pickpocketing.

They have got to be the stupidest people alive if they have gone to a Muslim majority country (especially Sunni majority) to spread the word of Jesus as (not prophet) God.

Do they want to be stoned?

This is why Michelle has no connection with Izzy. She knows she will never see him again anyway.

I can't wait for the TLC special "Duggars go to Afghanistan".

Most Central Asian countries are majority Sunni, so that makes sense.

I'm looking up the threat levels of the countries in said geographical area as we speak.

edit: the only 2 countries with relatively high threat levels according to the Department of State are Uzbekistan and Afghanistan. The rest carry general crime warnings related to traffic incidents and pickpocketing.

About the missions in Asia: I would think it's Malaysia.

I remember Jana went to Malaysia with John-David a few years ago and it WAS featured on 19KAC. They went just the two of them + crew members. And I'm pretty sure it was in Malaysia because I remember the twin towers of Kuala Lumpur. And isn't there where they met the Hartonos? (I might be very wrong about this). Now that I think about it, I don't recall them mentioning SOS ministry on the show but it would make sense that even back them, they were in contact or even did organized mission trips with them.

About the missions in Asia: I would think it's Malaysia.

I remember Jana went to Malaysia with John-David a few years ago and it WAS featured on 19KAC. They went just the two of them + crew members. And I'm pretty sure it was in Malaysia because I remember the twin towers of Kuala Lumpur. And isn't there where they met the Hartonos? (I might be very wrong about this). Now that I think about it, I don't recall them mentioning SOS ministry on the show but it would make sense that even back them, they were in contact or even did organized mission trips with them.

I thought the Malaysia trip was done through another Gothard front group. If they are going to Malaysia, it's a dumb move, given how it's becoming increasingly more Islamic and the fact that it's almost impossible for Muslims to legally convert from Islam. Christian proselytizing also appears to be illegal in much of Malaysia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_o ... n_Malaysia

Given how the Dillards like to talk about Jesus 24/7 to anyone and everyone, I doubt they would have the subtlety needed to evangelize in a country where such activity is technically illegal. :angry-banghead: :cray-cray:

Archived