IGNORED

Meri (Sisterwives) has a boyfriend er catfish MERGED

Justme

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hesitate to call a youngish teenager raised in a horrible situation with an oppressive religion racist, especially since all we have is a weirdly edited scene and background knowledge that the religion itself is structurally racist. But what were they thinking with that?  

I both do and don't agree. By this time, the older kids have been out in the world enough to have seen things to make them question the wrong parts of their religion. On the one hand they may still toe the party line if that religion is what they choose to believe, but on the other,  you can still be a part of a religion without adhering to its more drastic, terrible aspects. 

He's young, so he's probably still trying to figure it out. Still, yikes.

I think the coffee line was probably just something he had heard somewhere else. I've heard similar versions on that line in tv shows, for example. I googled the line and found a lot that referenced black men: https://www.google.com/search?q=i+like+my+coffee+like+i+like+my+men&safe=off&espv=2&biw=737&bih=745&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIsbXn5_uIyQIVhOUmCh3VPgFT&dpr=0.9

I don't feel like I'm qualified to say whether it's offensive or not, but I guess my point is that it's not an original line and probably doesn't have much to do with the Browns' view on race. (Which is something I wish they'd talk about. Do they agree with AUB on the priesthood issue? I'd find the show a lot more interesting if they would actually talk about the theology behind why they practice polygamy.)

Also, personally I think this is my favorite of the "coffee" lines :pb_biggrin:

4c0d0cdc150063c8aea6c3ec9c7d9dc9.jpg

All About the Tea posted this, this morning: http://allaboutthetea.com/2015/11/11/sister-wives-meri-browns-catfish-lover-threatening-to-expose-new-explosive-voicemails-secrets/

They claim that an insider told them that the catfish has a lot more secret info to leak, which I personally kind of doubt. Although it is interesting that they claim that Meri willingly shared personal info with Jackie/Lindsay because she considered her one of her best friends. J.O. seems to love attention, and I feel like if she had anything of enormous interest, she would have already posted it. I took a peek over at the Not Batman Yet blog earlier today, and she's still bloggin' up a storm. There is a big defensive piece that's called "What if I Am Real? What Will They Say Then?" that was posted two days ago. 

What if I am telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? What if she is covering this affair up with a salacious scandal ridden story that makes no real sense to logic and common sense? It has become complicated.
The truth is it’s not. At all. It was a man and a woman that fell madly in love and struggled to make it work or last. To all of you it was 6 months of twitter love, an online emotional affair.
To me it was the best 6 months of my life.
I am still in love with her. I am moving on because all that we had is dead. But I remember all of it. And I choose to keep the good memories in my heart. Because I have never felt like that before. I didn’ t know love could feel like that. I didn’t know I could feel that special to a woman. I thank God everyday for bringing her in my life. And I pray every night that she is happy. Because that’s what you do when you really love someone.
You wish them well, no matter what.

So...you post all their personal stuff on your blog for the tabloids to see? And take covert photos of her house while you're with her to make sure you have proof later?

There's also some more texts and some pictures of the inside of Meri's house. But nothing especially incriminating, or, for the most part, verifiable. Everyone in the comments is asking to see pictures of Meri and Sam together, but the catfish keeps evading the question by saying that it will have to wait until they release their book about the situation -- which they have a publisher for, but are in need of an editor :roll: 

So I'm still behind but I just finished the adoption party episode.  It's striking how as each episode goes along Meri gets more and more withdrawn and depressed and the weight loss/depression becomes apparent.  She barely speaks in the 5 way talking heads, she barely smiles, and you can see when she is given the gift by the children it takes a lot of effort for her to be able to respond in a way she knows she should.  While I know she's made some selfish decisions and actions over the years, I don't blame her.  She was only able to have one child and I can see why she would want their little family to get all the same resources the other families with more kids got.  Why shouldn't her daughter get a larger allotment of money for college when the 17 other kids that aren't biologically hers will get supported by her?  She's clearly depressed and unhappy.  I wonder if Janelle reached out to mend fences since she saw how Meri was pulling away and wanted to help bring her back into the family by mending fences. 

Yup, I noticed this as well, especially at the adoption party.  She seems to be participating out of obligation, not desire.  Add the lack of wedding ring and I'm convinced she is planning on leaving the family...sooner rather than later.

I think her relationship with "Sam" was out of boredom, desperation and as a distraction.  I can't blame her!  She's probably so lonely, she's an empty nester who only sees her husband (or at least spends the night with him) once or twice a week! 

Let me preface this by saying I am not a fan of Meri.  She's my least favorite wife and I'd even go so far as to say I dislike her.  That said: I feel nothing but pity for Meri, I hope she finds happiness!

I think the coffee line was probably just something he had heard somewhere else. I've heard similar versions on that line in tv shows, for example. I googled the line and found a lot that referenced black men: https://www.google.com/search?q=i+like+my+coffee+like+i+like+my+men&safe=off&espv=2&biw=737&bih=745&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIsbXn5_uIyQIVhOUmCh3VPgFT&dpr=0.9

I don't feel like I'm qualified to say whether it's offensive or not, but I guess my point is that it's not an original line and probably doesn't have much to do with the Browns' view on race. (Which is something I wish they'd talk about. Do they agree with AUB on the priesthood issue? I'd find the show a lot more interesting if they would actually talk about the theology behind why they practice polygamy.)

I find jokes that base their premise in awe/fear of Black male sexuality racist to begin with.  No person should be reduced to a stereotype about their race, and in the US, we do have a long and dirty history of doing just that.  So even if it's not his original line, it's still predicated in this weird view of Black male sexuality -- IF that was exactly what he meant, and not weird editing.

I both do and don't agree. By this time, the older kids have been out in the world enough to have seen things to make them question the wrong parts of their religion. On the one hand they may still toe the party line if that religion is what they choose to believe, but on the other,  you can still be a part of a religion without adhering to its more drastic, terrible aspects. 

He's young, so he's probably still trying to figure it out. Still, yikes.

That's where I'm stuck: he is young.  He's a teenager, his brain is still developing, and he's spent most of his life in some very homogenous areas.  He may just have very little experience with people of other races and be clunky in the learning process (though we don't exactly see the Browns socializing with a diverse population; the block party is the only exception I can think of).  Clearly the kids are contemplating what they've learned in their religion, the polygamist aspect most of all.  I've noticed a lot of white people tend to ignore or overlook racism rather than confront it (I write this as a white lady raising a mixed-race kid with a larger multi-racial family in CA -- I'm sensitive to this issue).  It may be that the kids are focusing on polygamy, the aspect of their religion that influences their lives the most, and not dwelling on the racist ideas.  Or maybe they are.  It's hard to tell, since they work so hard to avoid mentioning their religious precepts.  Kody even obfuscated about his religion when the guide asked him about it -- he couldn't just identify simply as a fundamental Mormon who wasn't FLDS but was AUB.  He had to b.s. and blather on, instead.

And it's still a highly edited reality show, so what was really going on may remain unknown.  But I also don't want to be yet another white person overlooking another's racism because it's uncomfortable. I also don't want to label a teenager prematurely based on odd evidence from a TV show.  

I agree, @amandaaries. I do think that is what makes it difficult.

As far as the catfish...is anyone still even looking at this person's blogs anymore?!

Kody....Kody, Kody. I honestly don't know what his deal is with his religion. I think if they spoke bluntly about it as @Rachel333 suggested, we'd still get a heap of lies, or at least disingenuous half-truths. For example, he and his Krew say they're against underage marriage. Well, this former member of the AUB says Kody was present at the marriage of 15-year-old. 

The Brown family belongs to Apostolic United Brethren. The church Phil and Maggie joined. Kody has always tried to claim that the group does not support underage marriage, but when the scandal with Phil and the 15 year old girl happened in early 1992, Kody was there. He had, in fact, recently joined the group--after coming home from his LDS mission. 

It was years ago and perhaps they're against it now, and perhaps they don't believe the racist sentiments (or don't support them), but I should think it would be to their advantage to say something. Otherwise things like this won't go under the radar for long in the court of public opinion. Sooner or later they'll have to choose- fame, or this religion?

ETA: This comment has been a bee in my bonnet since I first read that blog. Now I'm reading others (down the rabbit hole!) and comment sections, and other survivors have said the same. Evidently there is still underage marriage in the group, even now. If those claims really are true, Kody's speeches about how that doesn't happen and the AUB is the "nice" polygamist section is a heaping pile of horse shit. 

I think they have had a lot of opposition from the church since doing the show. From what I've read, a lot of the members didn't approve of the reality show at all. I know that in the All About Christine special, they talked about how church folks were really upset that they discussed their sex life in any capacity. So, I'm sure that's a large part of the reason that they haven't talked about much in terms of doctrine, beliefs, practices or group affiliation. 

Speaking of the All About Christine special:

I saw Christine's and Janelle's episodes...but that's it.  Did I miss Meri's and Robyn's?  Or have they not aired yet?

I saw Christine's and Janelle's episodes...but that's it.  Did I miss Meri's and Robyn's?  Or have they not aired yet?

I think they started with Robyn and it was last season. I'm not sure about Meri. 

I think Meri's was last season. I remember seeing that one on youtube a while back. I don't think I ever saw a Robyn one, though. 

I think Meri's was last season. I remember seeing that one on youtube a while back. I don't think I ever saw a Robyn one, though. 

That can't be right.  I have the entire Season 8 (and 9) on Amazon and neither Robyn's or Meri's shows up.  I'm so confused.:562479a50dc4d_Tahhell..confused:

That can't be right.  I have the entire Season 8 (and 9) on Amazon and neither Robyn's or Meri's shows up.  I'm so confused.:562479a50dc4d_Tahhell..confused:

Hmmm. I know that Amazon splits the seasons up differently than TLC or wikipedia seems to. But Wiki says that there was an episode called "Robyn: Behind the Scenes" in Season 5, Episode 16 and then "Meri: Behind the Scenes" was Season 5, Episode 18. And both of those aired this past February 

They've done an all about Robyn special seasons. It is called:

Robyn Seasons 4-6: "I'm prettier, hotter, a better match to Kody, and don't we look fabulous together?" 

Which one are the all about Christine and Janelle episodes? I'd like to watch them. 

According to Wiki, the Janelle special is Season 6, Episode 3 (September 20, 2015) and Christine's is Season 6, Episode 5 (September 27, 2015)

I'm qualified. I was startled when the coffee reference was made. I was mildly offended. The teens probably forgot they were being filmed, and don't realize that Black people watch the show too.  I wish one of the other teens had admonished their brother at least. I'm surprised his comment wasn't edited out.

I tried to snip the image, sorry, I was unsuccessful, will practice more. I definitely like my man by my vajayjay!

It's seriously getting disgusting watching Robyn and Kody play normal people married life between the two of them. With a side of two fat unattractive (Kody's perspective and treatment) cling-ons. Don't have to count Meri into this equation because she obviously checked out awhile ago.

He already got what he needed from Meri, starting his first marriage and getting a legal divorce from her. Only had one kid with her. No other crotch droppings there. Had to move on to fertile wombs looking for occupancy! With no kids at home for awhile in that huge ass selfish house, she serves no purpose to him any longer. 

Both of his "fat and unattractive" wives (again, I'm saying this in a sarcastic way) are only around since they still have his spawn to watch over. Well, that and because 1.) Christine is still brainwashed but more importantly her self esteem is trashed. We've seen bits and pieces of how he treats her about her appearance, how she feels, her mental health issues, and ideas. Imagine what we don't see. Add kids to that mix and any sort of religious views you do believe. Out of all of the wives, I HATE how he treats Christine. I think she's by far the most beautiful of all the women. Naturally pretty. She's probably the best adult human on that show. Kind, real, genuine, and I just want to hug her. I could go on and on about her but I'll stop there. 2.) Janelle. I swear she stays out of the obligation of her children. I also think that she won't stay for that reason for long. I think she stays for that reason and for the reason that she probably has been made to feel like she couldn't get another man. That she's not attractive. That she's fat. But honestly? She cleans up well. I think she's right behind Christine in the looks department. Because I believe your personality adds to your physical beauty, thus people can view you as attractive. But she's been made to feel, by Kody, that she's just the work horse. Someone to have sex with to procreate, have work to make household income, and watch his kids. She's not worth the anything besides that. 

Ah, Robyn. Kody's obvious perfect match. Down to the matching body type they both share, height similarities, a womb that is as ready for occupancy as a Holiday Inn in a small Texas town, young, was able to play the knight in shining armor (ego boost bonus points) as he rode in with his dinky sports car to save her from a failed marriage, and he's never had the same on screen chemistry with any other wife. Robyn is equally a perfect match to Kody. She also thinks the sun rises and sets on her ass. When it's the two of them she holds herself like the homecoming queen just as much as he holds himself like the homecoming king.   

@Jessa's Feet It's so funny because I was just about to start a post on how beautiful I think Christine is. I think she's absolutely gorgeous. She has a very caring personality, she's concerned, thoughtful, committed to her principles, sensitive and she seems to genuinely love each and every single kid in that trainwreck of a family. Apart from her internal beauty she has the brightest smile, gorgeous hair, and overall just radiates the spirit of a happy young girl. I doubt that she, however, has ever seen herself in that light. She'll probably believe that she's chubby, unattractive, undesirable and whatnot if Kodouche tells her that and I have no doubt he did that in the past and might still do it. He's such a jerk towards her. Remember when Janelle said Kody had never said one bad word about her weight? Well, he certainly made Christine feel awful about HER weight. I had long assumed Kodouche was after submissive women with low self-esteem but now I think he actually likes the challenge of being with a strong-willed woman who doesn't just look up to him and expect him to be prince charming. Meri, Janelle and Robyn all appear to be rather strong women who know what they want and who can pull it through. Christine, on the other hand, seems to be the only wife who'd blindly adopt Kody's opinion on life and stuff just for the sake of being liked by him. I think that's another aspect why he's so turned off by her. I'd assume she's just too nice and humble a woman for him. 

Sometimes I can barely go through an entire episode, if it shows how hard Christine is trying to be noticed and appreciated by Kody and the other wives. She wanted to be a polygamist and as that a 3rd wive because it made her feel secure, and it over-shadowed her insecurities. I'd bet my butt that out there, there would've been quite a few decent men who would have loved and cherished her just the way she is. I used to think that Christine was just naive and grating but I have greatly changed my mind. She's brainwashed, yes. But that's about the only thing I can think of that is responsible for her staying in that clusterfuck. 

It's seriously getting disgusting watching Robyn and Kody play normal people married life between the two of them. With a side of two fat unattractive (Kody's perspective and treatment) cling-ons. Don't have to count Meri into this equation because she obviously checked out awhile ago.

He already got what he needed from Meri, starting his first marriage and getting a legal divorce from her. Only had one kid with her. No other crotch droppings there. Had to move on to fertile wombs looking for occupancy! With no kids at home for awhile in that huge ass selfish house, she serves no purpose to him any longer. 

Both of his "fat and unattractive" wives (again, I'm saying this in a sarcastic way) are only around since they still have his spawn to watch over. Well, that and because 1.) Christine is still brainwashed but more importantly her self esteem is trashed. We've seen bits and pieces of how he treats her about her appearance, how she feels, her mental health issues, and ideas. Imagine what we don't see. Add kids to that mix and any sort of religious views you do believe. Out of all of the wives, I HATE how he treats Christine. I think she's by far the most beautiful of all the women. Naturally pretty. She's probably the best adult human on that show. Kind, real, genuine, and I just want to hug her. I could go on and on about her but I'll stop there. 2.) Janelle. I swear she stays out of the obligation of her children. I also think that she won't stay for that reason for long. I think she stays for that reason and for the reason that she probably has been made to feel like she couldn't get another man. That she's not attractive. That she's fat. But honestly? She cleans up well. I think she's right behind Christine in the looks department. Because I believe your personality adds to your physical beauty, thus people can view you as attractive. But she's been made to feel, by Kody, that she's just the work horse. Someone to have sex with to procreate, have work to make household income, and watch his kids. She's not worth the anything besides that. 

Ah, Robyn. Kody's obvious perfect match. Down to the matching body type they both share, height similarities, a womb that is as ready for occupancy as a Holiday Inn in a small Texas town, young, was able to play the knight in shining armor (ego boost bonus points) as he rode in with his dinky sports car to save her from a failed marriage, and he's never had the same on screen chemistry with any other wife. Robyn is equally a perfect match to Kody. She also thinks the sun rises and sets on her ass. When it's the two of them she holds herself like the homecoming queen just as much as he holds himself like the homecoming king.   

I'm with you on this. I do think that Christine and Janelle are the more attractive of the wives. And Christine has been such a good mother to all of the kids (from what I can see) while Janelle has selflessly worked to support the family. Those two are seriously underappreciated, imo. As for Robyn ... I remember one of the earliest episodes where it was stated that Kody was "finally" getting his trophy wife, and that stuck in my craw. Why on earth has he made his wives feel that not only were they not prizes but that he DESERVED a trophy wife? 

Some trophy. Robyn may have been conventionally attractive, but her ugly shines through more every day.

Catfish has an instagram - notbatmanyet73, IIRC  - with some weird photos of a football player and "Lindsay"/JO.  It's strange that the original "Sam" photo has not been clearly linked to a person (even on the PI page that was to "debunk" JO and I couldn't find much on Google Image search but I'm not that good at using it....).  Catfish stating that the blog will be "shut down after episodes air" because it won't be needed anymore.  It's all very attention seeking but it seems that  it is working, based on how many comments they are getting.  Seems that more are being let through, though, and even some that are somewhat critical.  Attention is obviously the name of the game.

Show will apparently have 2 episodes focusing on this storyline, then the season recap/Q&A episode, so essentially three weeks focusing on this story.  So, as predicted, TLC cashing in on this and have been rewriting/filming Meri's retelling of this for the last several weeks.   

Yup, I noticed this as well, especially at the adoption party.  She seems to be participating out of obligation, not desire.  Add the lack of wedding ring and I'm convinced she is planning on leaving the family...sooner rather than later.

I think her relationship with "Sam" was out of boredom, desperation and as a distraction.  I can't blame her!  She's probably so lonely, she's an empty nester who only sees her husband (or at least spends the night with him) once or twice a week! 

Let me preface this by saying I am not a fan of Meri.  She's my least favorite wife and I'd even go so far as to say I dislike her.  That said: I feel nothing but pity for Meri, I hope she finds happiness!

I don't think we have to like somebody to feel compassion and sympathy toward them. We can dislike her but feel like we understand her actions. I dislike her but still care about her. I have seen her steadily decline throughout the years. Its very sad.

It struck me in the above comments that Christine leaving would be devastating to those kids.

I agree that there is a Robyn special, called Sister Wives. 

Well Robyn sure is SOMETHING.

I'm still pretty shocked by all that "Sam" is releasing on the website. But, honestly, the voice messages she left are sooooo boring. How many times do we have to hear "Hey. It's me. Call me when you can!" 

Did anyone ever get the password for the page where "he" alleged to have a sex tape as evidence? It just seemed like bullshit, but I never saw the page myself.

Would a publisher actually be stupid enough to give the catfish a book deal to expose whatever private Sister Wives-related information Meri shared? A tell-all?

Last I heard, by the time someone got the password, the catfish had "taken everything down"- or so she claimed.

A publisher might to Meri and possibly a catfish if it were real. But since it's not, my money is on horse shit.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived