IGNORED

Meri (Sisterwives) has a boyfriend er catfish MERGED

Justme

On the topic of Robbyn and Janelle's comment that she has never seen Robbyn "so mouthy" as during this pregnancy: I'm wondering if it's less the pregnancy and more that she is now legally married to him and feels she can talk back/be snarky.  And the way he reacted to her was SOOO different than with Christine.  He bullies Christine and has no tolerance for her or Meri.  Janelle just does her own thing and doesn't really fight with him.  Robbyn gets to say whatever she wants without a word from him.  I'm also betting they have another child together in the next 2 yrs/before she is 40.  That way half of her kids will be bilogically his and also she will have 6, just like Christine/Janelle.  

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't understand why the other three "wives" stay with Kody. He's clearly over them and favors Robbyn. If they didn't have a TV show, I expect that they'd be gone.

I think Robyn is more mouthy because her place in the family is already cemented.  When she was pregnant with Solomon- the Brown family had just moved to Vegas and was not in their homes yet.  I also wonder if Robyn is starting to see how self centered Kody is and is frustrated.  

I feel so bad for Christine.  You can tell she is truly in love with Kody and he just sees her as wife #3.... 

People has a story about Sisterwives now (it's a girl!).  I can't for the life of me see what the attraction is for this show, other than the freak circus quality.  Kody Brown I cannot watch for more than 1 minute without feeling he's an egomaniac.  The women must have a poor sense of self-esteem to want to be a part of his family and deal with that cocky little bastard.  UGH.

I think for many people, it's the circus freak quality that draws them in.  Let me assure you that your reaction to Kody is perfectly normal and actually preferable.  Those who see him as a loving husband or caring father should reconsider their standards. 

I can't understand why the other three "wives" stay with Kody. He's clearly over them and favors Robbyn. If they didn't have a TV show, I expect that they'd be gone.

They believe, quite sincerely, that they have to be in this family to go to the highest heaven. I don't think it's any more mysterious than that. 

They believe, quite sincerely, that they have to be in this family to go to the highest heaven. I don't think it's any more mysterious than that. 

You've got to be kidding.  Are they a in sect of Mormonism?  That smirking Kody face.. I'd a normally peaceful person but he just needs a smack.

I think there's a pointed difference in Christine's anger on the RV trip, and Robyn's about, well, anything she doesn't like. 

I saw Christine's anger as righteous indignation, and frustration and desperation that her husband had so disregarded her own comfort in favor of his friend's desire. There was more there than just speaking out, which I think is especially critical because we don't often see that from Christine. Usually, she is the quiet and subservient one who prefers not to argue/feels like she can't because she doesn't want to risk her relationship with Kody. I think this was one point that was important enough to risk that wrath. 

That's not at all similar to Robyn's situation, whose self-righteous "don't talk about panties at this table" was just nit-picking. Robyn is comfortable enough to know she risks nothing by speaking out, and that's what shocked Christine. So while on the surface it looks like Christine spoke out too, I think it looks a lot different at the core of the issue.

Just saw a a commercial for the upcoming catfish episode, and Meri was pathetic. "I never get to talk to people", she says. With a family of 22? I almost felt badly for her, to have such a desperate need for connection that she allowed herself to be made a fool of. Sad. I guess the wet bar didn't quite do it for her.

Just saw a a commercial for the upcoming catfish episode, and Meri was pathetic. "I never get to talk to people", she says. With a family of 22? I almost felt badly for her, to have such a desperate need for connection that she allowed herself to be made a fool of. Sad. I guess the wet bar didn't quite do it for her.

I think that part of the issue is that these "great" relationships the adults in that family have are all based around the kids (with the exception of the Kody/Robyn love match).  There's no real connection between the adults except for the shared kids.  We don't see two wives hanging out regularly because they have shared interests.  No one talks about things they have in common that they like to do together.  I can't imagine having a close group of women in my life and NOT having "girls nights" where we just chill out and talk...but the wives, though it would be easy, are never seen having "wives nights".  With the exception of Robyn, Kody's main interactions with them are kid-centered as well (well, outside therapy).  

What I'm saying is, the show has never given any evidence that the Brown adults are anything more than co-parents.  They don't seem to have real friendships or strong bonds with each other, except as co-parents.

And I think Meri, having only one child who is out of the nest, suddenly found herself "cut out" of the family as she is no longer really a co-parent.  And the truth is, Meri has spent a lot of time sowing some bad seeds between herself and the other wives.  I don't think anyone much cared to reach out to her when she needed it.  That sucks, but that's on her.  You spend your time burning bridges, you can't be mad when no one crosses the divide to help you.  

She says about knowing that it was bullshit, then why did you keep doing it? I don't understand. I get that it's a way of "setting the record straight" and making Meri seem like she wasn't...wanting to cheat. You can't fix it all TLC. 

She says about knowing that it was bullshit, then why did you keep doing it? I don't understand. I get that it's a way of "setting the record straight" and making Meri seem like she wasn't...wanting to cheat. You can't fix it all TLC. 

Assuming this is correct (and with "reality stars," who can tell?), my guess would be that Meri is so unhappy and isolated that she held on with the catfish in the hopes that it might be true. I think with a lot of these long-term catfish situations that the catfishee has invested so much in the "relationship," whether financial or emotional, that they feel like they have to keep believing that it's true, because otherwise they would have to admit that they wasted their lives on a lie.

I think there's a pointed difference in Christine's anger on the RV trip, and Robyn's about, well, anything she doesn't like. 

I saw Christine's anger as righteous indignation, and frustration and desperation that her husband had so disregarded her own comfort in favor of his friend's desire. There was more there than just speaking out, which I think is especially critical because we don't often see that from Christine. Usually, she is the quiet and subservient one who prefers not to argue/feels like she can't because she doesn't want to risk her relationship with Kody. I think this was one point that was important enough to risk that wrath. 

That's not at all similar to Robyn's situation, whose self-righteous "don't talk about panties at this table" was just nit-picking. Robyn is comfortable enough to know she risks nothing by speaking out, and that's what shocked Christine. So while on the surface it looks like Christine spoke out too, I think it looks a lot different at the core of the issue.

It does seem like there is a war for Kody's attention from Robyn and Christine, we see so much of it since that is what TLC focuses on for the drama.  Janelle is independent, working outside the jewelry business and making sure her children get an education. 

Meri is so unlikable to me on the show, but I still can't help having some empathy for her.  I think she does believe her marriage to Kody is her only way to heaven, how sad. She seems so lonely and doesn't have the skills to reconnect with her sisterwives.  She needs a job outside of the jewelry business, maybe now that her computer keystrokes are being tracked it will force her to connect with the family.

This show isn't as distasteful to me as 19kac because at least the kids are getting an education, the kids will have an opportunity to create an independent life outside of the sisterwives family.  Do you think Nevada requires some of the filming money to be set aside in trust for the kids?

If I had a dollar for all the times I've known it was bullshit and kept right at it, I'd be a rich rich woman.  Hopefully, I've grown up a bit since the last time I convinced myself I could fix the bullshiter, and the next time I see the bullshit, I run without looking back.  But with most of my experiences, once I recognized who he really was, I was already deeply invested in him, invested in the relationship; it looked harder to leave than to stay and hope I was wrong or hope that he would change or that I could fix him.   

I'm not a parent and I was a halfway only child so I could be totally wrong here, but I would think that if one of my future older children saw one of my future younger kids doing something wrong, I wouldn't punish the older kid for calling the younger one out. In fact, I would think that would be a good thing and even create a leadership or mentorship situation. Harrison wasn't tattling...he told Solomon not to hit, and all hell broke loose because he was disciplining King Solomon.

Did I miss something about parenting?

And Kody, when you're standing in the milk department at the grocery store, what does "Well, this is still not the milk I'm looking for!" even mean? Now I'm disturbed.

As a parent, I don't like it when other people try to parent my kids if I'm there to do it myself.  I didn't see Garrison try to chastise Solomon, but he was criticizing how Kody/Meri/Robyn? handled it.  Honestly, I agree with Garrison, but it was really none of his business.  IMO, the only people who get an opinion are Solomon's parents and the girl that Solomon tried to hit, to a certain degree.  

That being said, I didn't like how they handled this.  To start with Meri said "like little boys do..." which makes me wonder if this behavior would have been acceptable if a little girl had done it.  Garrison also said something about not telling Solomon that he was a "good little boy" after hitting someone.  I wonder about the context of this.  It could have been focusing on the positive "good boys don't hit" or something else.  

I have a 2 year old, we don't slap/spank/hit her in any way, but she has recently hit people a few times, not hard, but definitely on purpose.  When that happens she must apologize and hug/show empathy for the other person (or cat) and then we move on from it.  

I think that part of the issue is that these "great" relationships the adults in that family have are all based around the kids (with the exception of the Kody/Robyn love match).  There's no real connection between the adults except for the shared kids.  We don't see two wives hanging out regularly because they have shared interests.  No one talks about things they have in common that they like to do together.  I can't imagine having a close group of women in my life and NOT having "girls nights" where we just chill out and talk...but the wives, though it would be easy, are never seen having "wives nights".  With the exception of Robyn, Kody's main interactions with them are kid-centered as well (well, outside therapy).  

What I'm saying is, the show has never given any evidence that the Brown adults are anything more than co-parents.  They don't seem to have real friendships or strong bonds with each other, except as co-parents.

And I think Meri, having only one child who is out of the nest, suddenly found herself "cut out" of the family as she is no longer really a co-parent.  And the truth is, Meri has spent a lot of time sowing some bad seeds between herself and the other wives.  I don't think anyone much cared to reach out to her when she needed it.  That sucks, but that's on her.  You spend your time burning bridges, you can't be mad when no one crosses the divide to help you.  

[bolded mine]

I think you're right on the money regarding Meri and her burning of bridges catching up to her. (the only glimmer of hope I get from this is the idea that Janelle is seeing Meri finally getting her comeuppance)

Moreover, I feel really bad for the women because Kody currently gets to live in a life with the emotional perks of monogamy while still reaping the spiritual benefits of the polygamous lifestyle. They have all but admitted that Kody spends the majority of his time at Robyn's. I was watching an older episode from a season or two ago and the cameras caught Kody making a deal with Christine where he said he'd agree to spend more time with Christine in exchange for them storing the wrestling mats at her house. That right there is evidence that time is not split equally between the wives! Additionally, many men in his faith state that physical intimacy is no longer necessary when you're not trying to procreate (as other posters have mentioned before). That allows him to physically check out of relationships with 3 of his 4 wives. On top of all of that, Meri stated in their book Becoming Sister Wives (which came out years ago) that sometimes Robyn and her kids would join her and Kody for dinner when it was Meri's allocated night with Kody.

At this point they need to just admit that their marriages are fraught with major issues, and that some of these issues stem from Kody's personality issues. And the fact that those personality issues are intensified greatly when they mix with the polygamous lifestyle!

Slightly off topic: I haven't watched the new season. Have there been any updates on Logan?

They finally had Logan on an episode.  He and his girlfriend went on the family trip to Alaska.  She seems nice, she says she's from a small family so this is a lot for her.  He still isn't planning to be a polygamist and she said she wasn't going to let him.  

You've got to be kidding.  Are they a in sect of Mormonism?  That smirking Kody face.. I'd a normally peaceful person but he just needs a smack.

Are you trying to be sarcastic? Because you do know that is the whole premise behind this "marriage", right?

Regarding the previews for the next episode:

Meri keeps saying "I had to sit them down to have a talk" and "they had no idea".  Are we REALLY expected to believe that they are filming Meri telling Kody and the other wives about the whole catfish thing for the very first time?  This is a pretty huge thing for their family, I can't help but think that it's not something she is revealing on camera without giving them a little heads up first.  This also seems to indicate that the rest of them heard nothing about this in the media before Meri told them.  That would have to mean Meri told them before the news broke, which doesn't seem plausible.  

The only reason I can think of for Meri to tell them on camera is that she is trying to protect herself from Kodouche's reaction.  We know he was absolutely pissed when he found out, but I bet he would tone it down for the cameras.  

Are you trying to be sarcastic? Because you do know that is the whole premise behind this "marriage", right?

No I do not know the premise.  I'm just an average person who has watched it for one minute at a time because when I see Kody I want to change the channel fast.

As a parent, I don't like it when other people try to parent my kids if I'm there to do it myself.  I didn't see Garrison try to chastise Solomon, but he was criticizing how Kody/Meri/Robyn? handled it.  Honestly, I agree with Garrison, but it was really none of his business.  IMO, the only people who get an opinion are Solomon's parents and the girl that Solomon tried to hit, to a certain degree.  

That being said, I didn't like how they handled this.  To start with Meri said "like little boys do..." which makes me wonder if this behavior would have been acceptable if a little girl had done it.  Garrison also said something about not telling Solomon that he was a "good little boy" after hitting someone.  I wonder about the context of this.  It could have been focusing on the positive "good boys don't hit" or something else.  

I have a 2 year old, we don't slap/spank/hit her in any way, but she has recently hit people a few times, not hard, but definitely on purpose.  When that happens she must apologize and hug/show empathy for the other person (or cat) and then we move on from it.  

I can totally understand where Garrison came from, though. Of course he's a real teenager, thinking he needs to "advice" his own parents. But had he said "Dad, I just don't think this is a good way to handle it and I'm telling you because I feel very much confused about it. It's not what I think a kid should behave like. What do you think?" it would have been an entirely different situation. To get to the point of where you can voice your concerns in a diplomatic manner, you need to grow up a little and offend your parents every now and then in the meantime but accept parental defeat. Janelle was doing really well telling him that it's just not his business.

Actually, I'm glad that the kids get to voice their opinion in whatever way they wish and I'm equally glad the parents tell them off without prayer closets and secret arm twists. 

I'm not a parent and I was a halfway only child so I could be totally wrong here, but I would think that if one of my future older children saw one of my future younger kids doing something wrong, I wouldn't punish the older kid for calling the younger one out. In fact, I would think that would be a good thing and even create a leadership or mentorship situation. Harrison wasn't tattling...he told Solomon not to hit, and all hell broke loose because he was disciplining King Solomon.

Did I miss something about parenting?

And Kody, when you're standing in the milk department at the grocery store, what does "Well, this is still not the milk I'm looking for!" even mean? Now I'm disturbed.

It really depends on how often/the context of the situation. I frequently say "Not the mama" to my oldest. It's not that the younger one isn't misbehaving, it's the intent of the older one to 1) make a bigger deal out of something than it is, 2) deflect attention from their own misbehavior in the situation, 3) CONSTANTLY trying to get said sibling in trouble for anything and everything. These are all things that may not show up after editing. 

Was he looking for a certain brand or type (ie raw) milk? Then the regular would not be the milk he was looking for. Also, condensed and evaporated are in the baking isle.

ETA @goldfishgoddess The Mormon church originally promoted polygamy. When they wanted Utah to be admitted to the union,  the government said they couldn't practice polygamy, so they had a revelation about it. Some didn't agree and split off. Those became several groups of fundamentalist Mormons, including the AUB, which is the group the Browns belong to.

Right, but how bad can the lower heaven be?  It'll just be filled with the single women and the monogamous.  We're not that bad. 

I mean, Kody is an asshole.  I'd trade peace in my life on earth for mediocre heaven if I were Meri, Janelle, or Christine. 

Gotcha. Okay. I think I'm also looking at this from an adult lens of not chastising kids unless it's really a problem; I didn't factor any sibling rivalry or overreaction into it. #onlychildproblems

I'm sure there was a reason for the milk comment...I just found how he said it to be slightly smarmy and sexual. Like everything else he says :my_sick:

How has this show managed to hang around 6 seasons?  I have yet to be able to watch it for more than 60 seconds.  are there any petitions to TLC or the sponsors to yank it off the cable network?

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived