IGNORED

Meri (Sisterwives) has a boyfriend er catfish MERGED

Justme

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, who's going to be watching tonight? I don't have cable, so I'm going to be relying on here & CJ's living room. :lol: How much do you actually think they're going to tell us? That promo was pretty drama-filled. 

Also, while I was reading over at CJ's I saw that someone said the Catfish made a post of all the pictures Meri sent. So, I went over there because I'm morbidly fascinated by this whole thing. It actually made me feel sick, Meri gave the Catfish a lot of fodder. There were some scandalous pics that she sent. I couldn't even look at them all. There were some of her in the tub, her in a bathrobe showing a lot of cleavage.

I don't know how she managed to suspend her disbelief for long enough to do all this. She needs to get out. 

Dumb question...what is CJ's?

Where are all of those pictures exactly? I don't want to wade through "his" weird blog.

I did just look at the entry "Ask Nicely." Is that supposed to be him with a ball or something? Doesn't really look like the same guy as the profile picture.

ETA - Nevermind. Found the photos. Some are dark and I can't even tell what they are. 

The banana one...yuck. Bath robe cleavage...even more yuck!

Her eyeliner drives me insane.

And what is with "SAM" on her arm??

The comments on the photo entry...a bunch of the sock puppets are talking about some "dance video" that "Sam and Lindsay" made. Wow.

I love Cynical Jinx, but I didn't know about The Sister Wives Blog. I've just visited and found it is no more. :(  Guess I'll have to make do with the snark here. I was glad I had no liquid in my mouth when FundieFarmer was outted as the REAL Kody Brown. I must admit, I watched the "preview" for tonight's episode, and I totally think it will go down the way you have predicted. UglyCry Meri, Christine (what is WITH her anti-depressants, I totally need that brand!), checked-out Janelle, hair-flipping Kody, and Robyn finding a way to make this all. about. her.

Yeah. I'll also be following the twitter. And, I can't WAIT to see what "Samuel/Jackie" says Meri lies about. I will be disappointed if they have strung us all along for the 2 hour blah-blah-blah next week. I'm feeling like we've been strung-along since August.

Ok, another admit, I do check in on "NotBatman"--so I'm one of the numbers--but the time-line there and all the stuff just doesn't add up. I have been catfished (back in the pre-Internet days), so I know how it happens, but I also know there are lots and lots of things you have to overlook as the person being catfished. I would LOVE to know what finally made Meri realize the truth... and I really don't think we're ever going to hear that. I have lived the "after"--and the shame that you got totally TAKEN is pretty bad. Since this happened, I have finally started to tell people my story, because now others understand that it DOES happen, and I'm a pretty normal person. 

I love Cynical Jinx, but I didn't know about The Sister Wives Blog. I've just visited and found it is no more. :(  Guess I'll have to make do with the snark here. I was glad I had no liquid in my mouth when FundieFarmer was outted as the REAL Kody Brown. I must admit, I watched the "preview" for tonight's episode, and I totally think it will go down the way you have predicted. UglyCry Meri, Christine (what is WITH her anti-depressants, I totally need that brand!), checked-out Janelle, hair-flipping Kody, and Robyn finding a way to make this all. about. her.

Yeah. I'll also be following the twitter. And, I can't WAIT to see what "Samuel/Jackie" says Meri lies about. I will be disappointed if they have strung us all along for the 2 hour blah-blah-blah next week. I'm feeling like we've been strung-along since August.

Ok, another admit, I do check in on "NotBatman"--so I'm one of the numbers--but the time-line there and all the stuff just doesn't add up. I have been catfished (back in the pre-Internet days), so I know how it happens, but I also know there are lots and lots of things you have to overlook as the person being catfished. I would LOVE to know what finally made Meri realize the truth... and I really don't think we're ever going to hear that. I have lived the "after"--and the shame that you got totally TAKEN is pretty bad. Since this happened, I have finally started to tell people my story, because now others understand that it DOES happen, and I'm a pretty normal person. 

I  hope I'm not prodding too much, but how did catfishing happen pre-internet? I haven't heard of that before.

OK. It's a long story, so I'll try to just hit the salients.

When I was in high school, my long-term boyfriend and I broke up. I had lots of friends, but a new girl attached herself to me. She said she knew this guy, and he would call me, leave me notes, send flowers, etc. I ended up talking to him a LOT on the phone. So, the girl (I later found out), picked someone who DID exist, and used his name. Since the boy with this name existed, we could go see him at work, etc., but since he was at work, he'd call me later. Of course, I never spoke with him at the same time as I did my "friend" (the girl). 

Anyway, s/he toyed with me a long time (almost a year). Thank GOD there was no Internet, no Facebook, and no way for hi/her to post any of our conversations for public consumption. Even my real friends had heard his voice (she had a convincing male voice), and she had her friends who swore he was a real person (because the name she chose for him WAS real). I finally broke it off because it was just WAY TOO WEIRD. Things didn't add up correctly. However, she tried to move in on my very vulnerable younger sister. At that point, I was done. I caught her talking in one voice and then switching to another. I also realized that she'd done this to someone else before me.

We put measures in place so she couldn't contact my sister, and  it was not the first TRO she'd gotten (Another red flag). We had to make special arrangements at my sister's JUNIOR HIGH (she was only 13!), and that was scary for her and her friends.  My parents moved me to an apartment (I'd just started college), and no one had my phone number or address for a year--not my siblings--only my parents. If I wanted to contact other people, I called them. They did not call me.

About 6 years ago she tried to friend me on Facebook. I told her I was never going down that rabbit hole again. (I mean, wtf??). I never did get to meet the REAL person who's name she stole. I saw lots OF him, though.

So how does it happen? Phone, notes, gifts, "sightings"--just enough to get you to the "well, maybe I'm imagining how weird this is." I mean, I could SEE the real man. He just wasn't who I was talking to. It was bad, and I still feel STUPID for falling for it!!

It still freaks me out to think about it. And it's worse because she tried to move in on my sister. Very, very awful.

@Mum2theRoyalFlush I am SO sorry that happened to you. I went thru something almost exactly like you did -- my then-best-friend knew of a guy who lived in the next town over. I was in junior high. I got all these letters from "him" -- some written very sloppily ("he" claimed he broke his hand and was writing with a cast), some written by my bestie FOR him. Even spoke on the phone a few times. Was funny how my bestie would call me literally seconds after I hung up from talking with "him." Turns out, she was doing it all. The calls (changed her voice), the letters (she wrote with her non-dominant hand). Everything. It fucking sucked. The guy was real -- it was the older brother of the boy my bestie was dating. But he had no idea who I was. :( Needless to say, we are not even acquaintances anymore. We went totally separate ways at some point in high school, and her direction was not a positive one.

ETA: Obviously my story doesn't involve a TRO or crazy person like your story does, That is SCARY! How awful for your sister and you. :(

@Mum2theRoyalFlush Wow, it never even occurred to me that someone would do that without the internet, but obviously my youth is showing. I'm so sorry that happened to you and to your family as well. That's very disturbing.

@FlamingFundie, It's weird when you write it all down, and then tell people about it, right? This Meri catfish thing has allowed me to talk to my kids about it. It's so much easier now than it was in 1990, but it happened then. I got weird notes, too. They definitely weren't in my friend's handwriting, but I am still not sure she didn't have schizophrenia or Multiple Personality Disorder. She was SO compartmentalized. I really did just think I was going to work past it, and then she was trying to get her claws into my sister. At that point, I really did get all "mama bear" about it. I mean, I was 18. I figured it was MY fault (right, totally victim thinking there). But I KNEW my sister was innocent in all of it.

When she tried to contact me on Facebook, I completely shut her down. THEN she went and died (really, in the newspaper obit and everything). I went through the victim guilt again (Should I have been nicer--and then thought HELL no.) I went to years of therapy for this. I am so glad it never touched my sister. In a way, Meri being catfished has made my experience "easier"--hello, it happened 25 years ago--but now I can talk about it and people understand it's a real thing that people do to other vulnerable people.

I really, really have sympathy for Meri. I can see exactly how it happened. That's why I'd love to know what FINALLY made her sit up and take notice. I know exactly when, what, and why I broke ties. BUT: I had to move away and not give my other friends my phone number or address. It was HARD to escape. I would not wish it on another person, ever. 

You are the only other person who has experienced almost exactly what I have. The person I THOUGHT I was "with" was REAL. The relationship was fake, fake, fake. Oh, and the girl was a closeted lesbian who even married a man. She had serious honestly issues about being who she really WAS. 

@Mum2theRoyalFlush Wow, it never even occurred to me that someone would do that without the internet, but obviously my youth is showing. I'm so sorry that happened to you and to your family as well. That's very disturbing.

You know what's even weirder? She was REALLY jealous of my ex-boyfriend. She went to his job and trashed his car. The police called my house (and luckily I had been home and my dad could vouch for me). Otherwise, I'd have been on the hook for that, too! And I was 18, so it would have gone on my adult record. She would talk to me, and then she'd turn around and lie about me to other people making ME look nuts. Of course, since we were always together, why wouldn't people believe I needed help because *I* was doing these weird things like a cry for help? YEARS OF THERAPY, seriously. I have never been so betrayed by another human being. I spent the next years fixing relationships with people that had been seriously damaged by this girl. I wish I had never met her.

@FlamingFundie, It's weird when you write it all down, and then tell people about it, right? This Meri catfish thing has allowed me to talk to my kids about it. It's so much easier now than it was in 1990, but it happened then. I got weird notes, too. They definitely weren't in my friend's handwriting, but I am still not sure she didn't have schizophrenia or Multiple Personality Disorder. She was SO compartmentalized. I really did just think I was going to work past it, and then she was trying to get her claws into my sister. At that point, I really did get all "mama bear" about it. I mean, I was 18. I figured it was MY fault (right, totally victim thinking there). But I KNEW my sister was innocent in all of it.

When she tried to contact me on Facebook, I completely shut her down. THEN she went and died (really, in the newspaper obit and everything). I went through the victim guilt again (Should I have been nicer--and then thought HELL no.) I went to years of therapy for this. I am so glad it never touched my sister. In a way, Meri being catfished has made my experience "easier"--hello, it happened 25 years ago--but now I can talk about it and people understand it's a real thing that people do to other vulnerable people.

I really, really have sympathy for Meri. I can see exactly how it happened. That's why I'd love to know what FINALLY made her sit up and take notice. I know exactly when, what, and why I broke ties. BUT: I had to move away and not give my other friends my phone number or address. It was HARD to escape. I would not wish it on another person, ever. 

You are the only other person who has experienced almost exactly what I have. The person I THOUGHT I was "with" was REAL. The relationship was fake, fake, fake. Oh, and the girl was a closeted lesbian who even married a man. She had serious honestly issues about being who she really WAS. 

You know what's even weirder? She was REALLY jealous of my ex-boyfriend. She went to his job and trashed his car. The police called my house (and luckily I had been home and my dad could vouch for me). Otherwise, I'd have been on the hook for that, too! And I was 18, so it would have gone on my adult record. She would talk to me, and then she'd turn around and lie about me to other people making ME look nuts. Of course, since we were always together, why wouldn't people believe I needed help because *I* was doing these weird things like a cry for help? YEARS OF THERAPY, seriously. I have never been so betrayed by another human being. I spent the next years fixing relationships with people that had been seriously damaged by this girl. I wish I had never met her.

Even though I was never catfished, I did have a friend that did stuff like this in high school. Her best friend before me and her had a falling out and she told me a bunch of awful stories about her. But once I had her ex-bestie in one of my classes and we started talking, it became clear very quickly that everything she had said was a lie. I eventually apologized to the girl because I felt complicit in my friend spreading horrible stories about her, and me and the ex-bestie are friends to this day--I was in her wedding last summer. 

But that was after the other girl hacked into my school computer account and printed out all of my personal writings I had saved on there, most of which were diary entries since my mom also read my journal that year. I found this out when I was in her room one day and found all of my writings printed out, stapled together, with phrases highlighted and notated with things like, "That never happened!" And "I didn't say that."

It was a pretty surreal experience. I didnt hang out with her again after that. I have no doubt that girl catfished some people in her day. She was always online, was an expert liar and had Photoshop skills and html skills pretty early on. Sorry if that was confusing, its hard not using names.

Even though I was never catfished, I did have a friend that did stuff like this in high school. Her best friend before me and her had a falling out and she told me a bunch of awful stories about her. But once I had her ex-bestie in one of my classes and we started talking, it became clear very quickly that everything she had said was a lie. I eventually apologized to the girl because I felt complicit in my friend spreading horrible stories about her, and me and the ex-bestie are friends to this day--I was in her wedding last summer. 

But that was after the other girl hacked into my school computer account and printed out all of my personal writings I had saved on there, most of which were diary entries since my mom also read my journal that year. I found this out when I was in her room one day and found all of my writings printed out, stapled together, with phrases highlighted and notated with things like, "That never happened!" And "I didn't say that."

It was a pretty surreal experience. I didnt hang out with her again after that. I have no doubt that girl catfished some people in her day. She was always online, was an expert liar and had Photoshop skills and html skills pretty early on. Sorry if that was confusing, its hard not using names.

I totally get it, even without names. The freaky thing is that she ANNOTATED your writings--and didn't believe what you wrote. Talk about complete denial (especially when you steal the truth, and it's so much more likely to be truth when you attain it that way!)

Ooooh, the catfish is going to be pissed with what Meri is saying on tonight's episode.  Look out for a catfishy meltdown in the next 24 hours!

I'm not sure if this is one of those misery-loves-company situations, but in case it is...  Did you guys hear about that case in the UK? http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/15/woman-convicted-of-impersonating-man-to-dupe-friend-into-having-sex

There are always crazy people out there.

I have been following this, as it is CRAZY!!! I am so glad they convicted her! It truly makes my skin crawl, and I have a bit of experience being duped--but this would be beyond-beyond for me.

I never realized it had a name, but I was "catfished" also in high school. Good friend pretended to be a guy, would email and write me notes, lived in a different city so couldn't talk on the phone, etc etc. Eventually she confessed what she had done. I wasn't scarred though, and we are still friends today. 

Meri had a full blown emotional affair with the catfish. She fell in love, played with fire, and got burnt. Now she is mentally flucked up. Too bad she didn't realize that stalling about meeting is one of the first signs of catfishing. I wonder if the rest of them know about the pictures that are out there. Unfortunately, the internet is forever. Kdouche was quiet for the first time ever. I bet that Meri being attracted to someone else because he was not meeting her emotional needs is a slap in the face to him. It was not wise for Meri to get that giant house with no transition plan for when Mariah left. It was also unwise to divorce Kdouche when she couldn't handle it. Why didn't she go back to school or assist her sister wives who still have little ones? She isolated herself. She needs individual counseling, and a tad more maturity.

The wives did get a couple of funny barbs in on Kdouch while on the couch, comparing themselves to the mushing dogs.

I think all the sister wives need a tad more maturity. They all seem like teenagers half the time. It's so bizarre.

Haven't watched tonight's episode but hope to watch tomorrow.

I think all the sister wives need a tad more maturity. They all seem like teenagers half the time. It's so bizarre.

Haven't watched tonight's episode but hope to watch tomorrow.

Hope I didn't post any spoilers!

That coffee thing (from a few pages back) was a direct quote from the movie Airplane.  No biggie, but I'm surprised that editing didn't catch it & delete.

So, watched last night's episode. Went as predicted by FF and am excited to see the whole shebang unfold in the 2-hour-special/ tell all next week. 

I am touched by the way the older half of the kids are referring to their childhood. I still think the Browns' biggest mistake was adding Robyn to the party, but what do ya do if your chances of getting to heaven increase with every new wife, right?! And what do ya do if your (3 particular 'you's here) husband falls in love for the very first time?...*singing in my head "first time, first love, oh what feeling is this, electricity flows with the very first...*, how ironic that this song was also sung by a Robin. LOL Well, I guess what you do is contact TLC and shill your family out for $ and ratings. 

The immediate family of Kody and 3 wives existed before the kids could comprehend their special family structure. They grew up with it, never knew anything else and they loved it. I got sentimental because their talking heads showed how genuinely they expressed their feeling of security and happiness. They enjoy their memories but the addition of Robyn, the move to Vegas, and the separate houses must have left a mark, if not to say ripped their secure world apart. 

Whatever Christine is taking, I definitely want some of it. I kept wondering throughout the whole episode how thriving she would/could be in an egalitarian partnership, with a man who adores everything about her. There's no love lost between Kody and her and it's just so obvious. Christine is chatty, fun, outgoing, initiative and she's the one who's most likely to take one for the team if need be. Kody's not her life, the family is. She's probably the entire opposite of Meri and that's why she's still there. She really must believe in the family and the polygamist theology to not leave that douchenugget of a husband. The only word he had for her was that she couldn't "[...] ever be quiet". It made my blood boil how publicly he discredits her bubbly, optimistic nature. Though I like snarky, defensive Christine, who does not longer put up with Kodouche's offenses. 

Like I said, Christine looks great lately. I really have been wondering what has brought her on that path. Maybe it's anti-depressants, maybe it's her mother, maybe it's her weight loss (she really has lost weight, hasn't she? and she looks great!), maybe it's her kids becoming more independent and thriving on their own? It seems like Janelle is way happier, too, than she was in past seasons. The difference is that Janelle's efforts and reserved nature gains recognition within the family while Christine is branded as the loud and whiny pain in the neck. Christine deserves some appreciation, too. 

And that is really way more thought than I wanted to invest in that fustercluck. Ever. Ok, today. 

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived