IGNORED

The Baby Seewald Name, Date, Etc guesses - MERGED

VelociRapture

i know i've previously said she'd go with something trendy like ruby, but i had a thought of either super super biblical or something like brielle or caeli.

i'm going with a girl, 3rd of november, 9pm, hospital birth or birthing centre, 7 pounds 6 ounces, 20 inches long and dark hair, bright blue eyes like ben, but she'll look like a duggar.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think this is a good guess. Unless she reads here and decides not to use it because an FJer came up with it! [emoji38]

I'm not sure who guessed it, I wanna say eh02

I'm betting on a girl named Venezia (pronounced, as Bin did, Vi-nee-zee-uh, rather than Veh-net-see-uh), born October 20th.

I really believe she will go for names like Ava,Lilly,Emma or Violet... classic and romantic but very trendy right now. She probably wants to see herself like that and others to also. Or she will name the baby after the new princess if the royals have one. I can see that happening. Not a little prince though...All the possible boys names the royal couple will use probably won't appeal to them-Arthur? Alfred? No way teenage Arkansas folks will do that!

who actually believes she is going to share with us what she is having at any time - I give her maybe 20% of sharing

much less post any real truths or even pregnancy photos a la Jill

she is a different kettle of fish that woman

She will if People Magazine tells her to.

Ben strikes me as even less likely to use contrived spellings without some kind of pressure from Jessa. Being young doesn't mean your kids will be named strangely, just like being old doesn't mean your kids are going to have extremely traditional names. I've known 40+ year old couples to use names like Londyn, Malaria (like the disease), Rainbow, Tayteum, Kaeleigh, Zaydenn, and Alyvya; meanwhile <21 years olds I've known have used names like Donovan, Grace, Elijah, Charles, Alexandra, and Carla. A person's age is as telling of their name preferences as a person's eye color is.

Rainbow isn't too bad. At least its spelled correctly ;)

As a former 35 year NIcu nurse, I totally disagree.

thank you for reassuring me :) :worship: :cracking-up:

It's okay, you'll be the first to know either way :lol:

PLEASE TELL US! WE MUST KNOW!

Aint Bee Seewald

Ward Cleaver Seewald

Theodore Benjamin aka "The Beaver"

As for "Rainbow" and the likes, parents need to consider how a "cutesy" name will sound on an adult. Same with "ghetto" names. No adult named "Rainbow," "Quandarrius," "Shawntayontay," "La'Quishraniqua," or twins "Keflex" and "Keflin" or "Sha Meek" and "Sha Meeka" (all real-life examples from my exhaustive list... I collect "unusual" names, many straight from the intake list at the county jail) is going to be taken as seriously as "James," "Mary," "Robert," or "Sarah." Same with "sweet" names like "Precious." Please don't start your kids out in life with two strikes against them.

One day a customer at work handed me a credit card to pay for a purchase. I'd already had to get his name, and he said "Nikita _______ (a very common last name). I just remember thinking that was an unusual man's name. I didn't ask for it, but he handed me his drivers license along with his credit card. I glanced at it and noticed his full name was Nikita Khrushchev _______. I had to bite my lip to keep from losing it.

I could see Erin Bates Paine naming a girl Rainbow, not Jessa though lol

I'm not sure if anyone said this, but if it's a boy, I could absolutely see them naming him Michael James. Like Josh and Anna did. For the same reason, the names of both fathers. I could see Jessa doing it in a passive aggressive FU to Josh. It's early in the grandchild lineup, but repeated names are definitely going to be likely down the road.

I'm not sure if anyone said this, but if it's a boy, I could absolutely see them naming him Michael James. Like Josh and Anna did. For the same reason, the names of both fathers. I could see Jessa doing it in a passive aggressive FU to Josh. It's early in the grandchild lineup, but repeated names are definitely going to be likely down the road.

Yes, I could see this as well.

Maybe James Michael.

Two grandkids with the same name? Come on. Jessa, please do not name your blessing after a country. Venice Seewald.

I could see Erin Bates Paine naming a girl Rainbow, not Jessa though lol

Rainbow - like the LGBT symbl???? Oh, please Jesus, make this happen!!!!

Rainbow - like the LGBT symbl???? Oh, please Jesus, make this happen!!!!

Speaking of Rainbows, I just had a horrible premonition that Derick and Jill will name one of their future children 'Covenant'.

:doh:

Jessa won't use a name that's already taken. They won't get to that point of desperation until little Hannie or Jackson start having kids and they've REALLY run out of names.

I'm hypocritical with this, I guess, because I definitely cringe at names like Nayvie. But I do think it can be inherently classist and/or racist that people get so judgmental about names as a whole, particularly names associated with AAVE...it shouldn't really be funny to joke about "Shaniquas" or "Jamals." Slaves had to take on new western/Christian names once they hit American soil and their histories, languages and customs were erased. There is really nothing wrong with people wanting to take ownership over names that are distinctly, INTENTIONALLY African American. It signifies the space those people carved out for themselves in a country that told them they were only OK if they assimilated and "acted white."

Of course, many people feel discriminated against when they have those names - there's a movie about this coming out called Searching for Shaniqua. It features several young black women with "black" names talking about how they are discriminated against. From my obviously very limited, white perspective...it SHOULD be empowering to rebuild language and culture after it was taken away from your ancestors. But obviously it hasn't really worked out that way. :| This is a blurb from the guy who made the documentary:

"TR: What prompted you to make a documentary about this subject?

PB: Honestly, I had a friend who was a substitute teacher, and she would tell me these stories about her class rosters. She would be nervous every time she went into a new classroom, because the names were so hard to figure out. Then, one day I was out and met this woman with a name that had too many syllables and too much punctuation. I was so annoyed by her name, I mean really annoyed. I went home that night and started a blog called “Searching for Shaniqua.†I found out that there are so many women named Shaniqua from diverse backgrounds.

I felt like I could use them as a framework to tell a story. My aim initially was to document my quest to find the oldest living Shaniqua. Then, as I read and learned more, I became more serious about the subject. I began to really be invested in this idea of names as they relate to bullying or discrimination. I also began to think about how annoyed I was by that woman’s name and what that may say about me. I started having discussions with my friends about names, and they’d always turn into heated debates. I knew this was something that needed to be addressed. I decided to do a documentary."

Theodore Benjamin aka "The Beaver"

As for "Rainbow" and the likes, parents need to consider how a "cutesy" name will sound on an adult. Same with "ghetto" names. No adult named "Rainbow," "Quandarrius," "Shawntayontay," "La'Quishraniqua," or twins "Keflex" and "Keflin" or "Sha Meek" and "Sha Meeka" (all real-life examples from my exhaustive list... I collect "unusual" names, many straight from the intake list at the county jail) is going to be taken as seriously as "James," "Mary," "Robert," or "Sarah." Same with "sweet" names like "Precious." Please don't start your kids out in life with two strikes against them.

One day a customer at work handed me a credit card to pay for a purchase. I'd already had to get his name, and he said "Nikita _______ (a very common last name). I just remember thinking that was an unusual man's name. I didn't ask for it, but he handed me his drivers license along with his credit card. I glanced at it and noticed his full name was Nikita Khrushchev _______. I had to bite my lip to keep from losing it.

People's names wouldn't be strikes against them if people didn't think like this. While many people are subject making sudden judgments, careful thinkers also take the time to check themselves and their biases and prejudices.

Given that we're on a largely anonymous forum, please be careful not to minimize your sweeping generalizations regarding the fitness of a name to those from a limited geographic area.

People's names wouldn't be strikes against them if people didn't think like this. While many people are subject making sudden judgments, careful thinkers also take the time to check themselves and their biases and prejudices.

Given that we're on a largely anonymous forum, please be careful not to minimize your sweeping generalizations regarding the fitness of a name to those from a limited geographic area.

Yep, exactly. It's true that name discrimination exists. And if a parent wants to avoid a name they worry will be difficult for their child, that is their choice. But really, the issue is not how parents are naming their kids. When we hear a name like Juanita, we may assume that person is Hispanic. When we hear a name like Brayleigh, we may assume that person is white. But when we hear a name like LaNisha, we assume not only that the person is black, but that they are loud, uneducated, "ghetto," "low class" - why do we associate so many negative traits with "black" names?

I am in no way considering myself exempt from this - everyone has varying degrees of bias (and in that documentary, those women pointed out that much of the discrimination they faced was actually from other black people) but I think it is important to remain conscious of it. Parents shouldn't have to feel like they have ruined their child's future career opportunities by naming them Shaniqua. Do we blame a parent whose child is bullied for being a nerd when they encouraged them to focus on their studies? Do we blame a parent who told their trans kid to express their gender identity when that child ends up bullied for it? We would live in a pretty sad world if every choice we made was based on pleasing society as a whole.

Just a note about "Nikita" ....

It actually is a man's name. Like Sasha, it's a very legitimate RUSSIAN man's name. With that man's middle name being Russian, It's possible that he was partly Russian or Ukrainian or Belarusian or something like that

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived