IGNORED

The Baby Seewald Name, Date, Etc guesses - MERGED

VelociRapture

People's names wouldn't be strikes against them if people didn't think like this. While many people are subject making sudden judgments, careful thinkers also take the time to check themselves and their biases and prejudices.

Given that we're on a largely anonymous forum, please be careful not to minimize your sweeping generalizations regarding the fitness of a name to those from a limited geographic area.

To be fair, studies have shown that:

-two identical papers with the only difference being the names result in teachers grading the more "normal" name better, even up to a full letter grade

-two identical resumes with only the name being the difference will usually result in the more "normal" name being called in for an interview

-two identical head shots with only the attached name being different will usually result in the "normal" name being seen as more attractive.

Like it or not, your name does affect you.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-two identical papers with the only difference being the names result in teachers grading the more "normal" name better, even up to a full letter grade

-two identical resumes with only the name being the difference will usually result in the more "normal" name being called in for an interview

-two identical head shots with only the attached name being different will usually result in the "normal" name being seen as more attractive.

I'm completely aware of the research. I did my own research in it as an undergraduate, and took away similar conclusions. My only plea is that people become more aware of their biases. Awareness has been shown to be the first step in overcoming them, whether names, accents, dialects, etc.

Theodore Benjamin aka "The Beaver"

As for "Rainbow" and the likes, parents need to consider how a "cutesy" name will sound on an adult. Same with "ghetto" names. No adult named "Rainbow," "Quandarrius," "Shawntayontay," "La'Quishraniqua," or twins "Keflex" and "Keflin" or "Sha Meek" and "Sha Meeka" (all real-life examples from my exhaustive list... I collect "unusual" names, many straight from the intake list at the county jail) is going to be taken as seriously as "James," "Mary," "Robert," or "Sarah." Same with "sweet" names like "Precious." Please don't start your kids out in life with two strikes against them.

One day a customer at work handed me a credit card to pay for a purchase. I'd already had to get his name, and he said "Nikita _______ (a very common last name). I just remember thinking that was an unusual man's name. I didn't ask for it, but he handed me his drivers license along with his credit card. I glanced at it and noticed his full name was Nikita Khrushchev _______. I had to bite my lip to keep from losing it.

Or disney princess names, Especially Ariel TSA security will stop you and sing "part of your world"

I See London I See France Seewald or Waldo Seewald

Which was my point. I've read about that study. Many of you make fun of the Duggars for naming their children "unusual" names ("Israel") or more common names with "unusual" spellings (e.g. Jinger, Jordyn, MacKynzie), but you rush to judge me for not being a "careful thinker" :roll: because I pointed out the fact that, like it or not, people's names can stereotype them and the parents who gave them those names. Really, sometimes the hypocrisy here burns.

Is it fair? No, but until society as a whole changes, parents need to consider how their adult children will be perceived (or misperceived) by the world because of their given names which includes many more examples than what you assume to be "African American" given names.

Yes, I realize "Nikita" is a Russian male name, but I'm pretty sure this gentleman wasn't of Russian descent. In the area where I live it's more likely to be a considered a feminine name, although "Nakita" is a more common spelling.

What's hilarious is that his name was Nikita Khrushchev :D

Boy, Garrett Benjamin, 10/31, hospital birth. I can't picture Jessa having a homebirth.

Has Jessa said if she wants a home birth? If so, I must have missed that bit. I can not imagine her having a home birth at all.

I think Baby Seewald will be an only child for a few years. I think Jessa will hate pregnancy/birth/sleepless nights with a newborn, no matter how sweet she keeps.

I am guessing a boy, Caleb Michael, 7lbs 3oz. 31st October.

Has Jessa said if she wants a home birth? If so, I must have missed that bit. I can not imagine her having a home birth at all.

I think Baby Seewald will be an only child for a few years. I think Jessa will hate pregnancy/birth/sleepless nights with a newborn, no matter how sweet she keeps.

I am guessing a boy, Caleb Michael, 7lbs 3oz. 31st October.

I could have sworn I read something that came across as a passive-aggressive jab at Jill, something like, "We know it doesn't always turn out as expected, but right now we're planning a homebirth",but I can't for the life of me find it now.

The area I work in, is highly Hispanic population. I speak zero spanish. When I call for interviews, I butcher 90% of the names.

And when I look at applications,I start with the ones I can pronounce correctly, so yes, your name is your ticket in a lot of ways. The ones I cannot pronounce I ask my assistant, who speaks spanish, to make the call.

Best one i have ever seen is Popeye Rodriguez, no joke.

I guessed girl for baby seewald, but I had an epiphany and forgot my own nephews name, and his parents are money hungry greedy snobs(ex hubby bro and wife)

KASH LUCAS SEEWALD

I can see this

I could have sworn I read something that came across as a passive-aggressive jab at Jill, something like, "We know it doesn't always turn out as expected, but right now we're planning a homebirth",but I can't for the life of me find it now.

It was in a People article for sure.

Yep, it's in this one:

http://www.people.com/article/19-kids-c ... ar-dillard

(not breaking the link because it's People)

"Every birth story is unique," she adds. "We think we want to go with a midwife and plan for a home birth, but I want to just be prepared that not everything may go as planned and try not to get too worried about it."

So there you go. She could just be paying lip service with her "we THINK we want to go with a midwife and plan for a home birth" line while she's already made up her mind that she WILL be going to the hospital, so we'll see. I don't see why they're so into home birthing now. Anna was originally going to birth Mackenzie in the hospital but only switched to a home birth at the last minute because Mack decided to come ten days before her due date and Anna's OB was out of town. And holy shit did she get lucky with how that worked out. Mack weighed 8 pounds at birth - 10 DAYS EARLY. She could have easily had an Izzy sized baby if she went to 40 and a half weeks. I wonder if having half Duggar genes means you're gonna birth/impregnate someone with massive babies. Jessa was apparently a huge baby herself at birth. It'll be interesting to see how big the Spawn of Seewad ends up being.

Thanks for digging that out, Ursula. Re-reading it it seems less passive-aggressive than I remember; perhaps she really does mean that she hopes for homebirth but Jill's experience reinforced that's not anyways possible. I could totally see her saying she wants a homebirth and then claiming the doctor said it was a bad idea so she has to go into hospital, though.

Name for the baby.....Nazareth Benjamin for a boy--so cousin Israel won't feel weird. For a girl.... Trinty Neveah.

So the new grandchildren: Israel Dillard, Nazareth or Trinity Seewald and Mariah Duggar. Next year 'Siah's first spawn, then Jilly Muffin's second and the Seewalds will start late on #2. Josh and Anna will have the year off.

Name for the baby.....Nazareth Benjamin for a boy--so cousin Israel won't feel weird. For a girl.... Trinty Neveah.

So the new grandchildren: Israel Dillard, Nazareth or Trinity Seewald and Mariah Duggar. Next year 'Siah's first spawn, then Jilly Muffin's second and the Seewalds will start late on #2. Josh and Anna will have the year off.

I doubt Josiah will have a child within the next two years. Even with a quick marriage, they're not going to have an 18 year old pregnant on the show.

How do you think Benessa will announce the jinder(s) ?

I have a feeling something big and flashy :disgust:

Just once I'd like to see one of them not turn it into a spectacle and say, "we want it to be a surprise".

But why say no to People checks I guess...

Just once I'd like to see one of them not turn it into a spectacle and say, "we want it to be a surprise".

But why say no to People checks I guess...

I can see Jessa doing this. And if she played her cards right, it would create even more buzz.

Like with the blush gown and ice cream at her wedding, Jessa could go all original and refuse to announce the gender even after the baby is born. The idea is to have people relate to the child as a "person" not just a "gender". There were parents who took this to the extreme of hiding whether their child was a boy or a girl for five years. De-emphasizing the gender would really strike the Duggars hard.

Like with the blush gown and ice cream at her wedding, Jessa could go all original and refuse to announce the gender even after the baby is born. The idea is to have people relate to the child as a "person" not just a "gender". There were parents who took this to the extreme of hiding whether their child was a boy or a girl for five years. De-emphasizing the gender would really strike the Duggars hard.

I cant see her doing this unless she completely drops all fundie beliefs. Its too ingrained in their beliefs to have a girl and not dress her in pink with flowers bigger than her head, and teach her to cook and clean, and dress a boy in blue shirts and pants and teach him to be manly. It is too important to them what sex someone is to keep it a secret. A fundie would not know what to do with a non binary person, except say they are going to hell. At this point, she would be too worried to turn the kid gay or something.

I doubt Josiah will have a child within the next two years. Even with a quick marriage, they're not going to have an 18 year old pregnant on the show.

So are they going to abstain for a couple of years once they marry?

There seems to be no choice in this matter.

How do you think Benessa will announce the jinder(s) ?

I have a feeling something big and flashy :disgust:

Definitely. Jill already did the Pinata thing so I'm sure Jessa is scouring pinterest. I could see them putting colored confetti in a bunch of balloons and popping them, cutting into a cake with blue or pink in the inside, letting balloons out of a box. Something cheese but they think they are being so cute and trendy.

What would the Duggars do if a baby were born with an ambiguous gender? Would they share that information, or rapidly assign the child a gender and/or hide the birth till surgery were quickly performed?

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived