IGNORED

John "The Hot One" Maxwell Leaving the Country

nausicaa

Haha, it he literally replaced the name of the country with "country". It makes for some awkward sentence construction.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't decide if he used "in country" like placeholder text to hide where he'd been or if he really meant "in-country" which is a military term I first heard during the Vietnam war. If it's the former its just more Maxwellian paranoia. If it's the latter, it's incorrect.

John, honey - it's demeaning to refer to the citizens of the country you visited as "they," "them," and "their," "those people," "happy and content." Please Google the phrase "white man's burden," and ponder.

I will, however, give you props for mentioning the earthquake in Nepal, and asking for prayers and support.

I wonder if he is going to be going back and that is why Steve won't reveal the location. The secrecy is strange.

a smashing success. We had a blast, and I learned a ton

Mmmm....more blasting. And smashing. And his trip was "totally amazing". Good one, John. Well done reminding people to have their immunisations before leaving. And on the prayers for Nepal. At least you realise there IS a world.

I wonder if he is going to be going back and that is why Steve won't reveal the location. The secrecy is strange.

Steve is strange.

(that's all I got this morning)

John, honey - it's demeaning to refer to the citizens of the country you visited as "they," "them," and "their," "those people," "happy and content." Please Google the phrase "white man's burden," and ponder.

I will, however, give you props for mentioning the earthquake in Nepal, and asking for prayers and support.

Yes. I'll also add props for John referring to a developing country not a 3rd world one. But what is this?

I find on trips like these, it is best just to see how things develop, and be ready for anything.

By God, things are unscheduled. He sounds flexible. It practically approaches spontaneity! But how many trips like these has John been on to be such a flexible expert on international travel? He went to Canada under the umbrella of Steve's protection - but by himself? Methinks this is the first.

I liked this sentence about his reasons for the trip; "The second was to broaden my world view and experience life in a developing country."

I'm glad he didn't seem to be there for proselytizing purposes, and really wanted to learn about life in a different part of the world.

I'm glad he has enough freedom to do something like this, unlike his sisters.

Yes. I'll also add props for John referring to a developing country not a 3rd world one. But what is this?

By God, things are unscheduled. He sounds flexible. It practically approaches spontaneity! But how many trips like these has John been on to be such a flexible expert on international travel? He went to Canada under the umbrella of Steve's protection - but by himself? Methinks this is the first.

I'll give him props for the immunization reminder. Was also glad he didn't say "third world." Everything else just screamed "I AM WHITE AND I THINK ALL POC-MAJORITY COUNTRIES ARE THE SAME"

It takes real talent to write a whole blog post about a trip you went on without actually mentioning where you went on the trip. The Maxwells are unbelievable.

Wonder where the money for the trip came from? John or Steve? If it was John, business (whatever it is) must be good and if Steve... no, can't even begin to imagine that.

The Maxwells' writing skills are all the same, subpar.

Just so painful to read.

No running water and he washed a set of clothes every day? Wow.

ETA: My pick is Sri Lanka, based on the heat/humidity, the coconut and the market picture.

Honestly my hot John looks stoned in that photo! What the bells in that watermelon?! I think Steve edited most of his writing by the way

I couldn't decide if he used "in country" like placeholder text to hide where he'd been or if he really meant "in-country" which is a military term I first heard during the Vietnam war. If it's the former its just more Maxwellian paranoia. If it's the latter, it's incorrect.

This makes me think Steve edited whatever John wrote. Daddy is the copy editor.

Going to a foreign country does change people in a lot of ways. John will absolutely not be the same after this experience. Whether or not that will lead to him leaving the cult is another story.

I know it'd never happen, but I'd love for Poor Sarah to join him specifically for that reason.

Any possibility of a relationship developing wherever the heck he went? No that wouldn't happen as there would have to be approval from Steve.

I love how he responds to people asking about the pictures without actually explaining anything. God job, Steve.

Heh, I had trouble saving those images, but I succeeded! :nenner:

Sri Lanka is a good guess. Does the mosquito net suggest John was in a malaria zone, or are there places that have mosquitoes but no malaria? :think: Any coconut experts on Free Jinger? ;)

That was a horrendous and vague and worthless piece of writing. He said absolutely nothing. Someone who gives a shit can write about experiences without giving away details - like location, if that's your thing - and still make it interesting and engaging.

John's recollections of his travels were just pathetic and said not a damn thing.

Going to a foreign country does change people in a lot of ways. John will absolutely not be the same after this experience. Whether or not that will lead to him leaving the cult is another story.

The Duggars and Ben Seewald went overseas and I don't see them being less fundie because of it. In Bens case, it probably only made him stronger in that sense.

This makes me think Steve edited whatever John wrote. Daddy is the copy editor.

Can we make "Daddy is my copy editor" into a post count? Or a bumper sticker?

John's trip report is rather insulting to the Maxwell followers. They basically have said "please give of yourself to pray for John's safety. Oh, and while you're at it, buy our books, attend our seminars, and spread the word about our kooky website. But, NO WAY do we trust you enough to tell you where John has been, nor do we respect you enough to show you photos or give you any real details of his 'adventure.'"

I can't help but think the Maxwells will lose followers because of this. First there was the secrecy of Joseph's wedding. Then there were the cliffhanger posts on that where they dragged it out for months. Now there is "The Trip That Must Not Be Named." People quickly tire of being treated like crap.

Somebody remind me why Steve Maxwell has a blog, please.

I am impressed that John got to go somewhere by himself, especially to a different country. I hope that this has opened his mind up to the possibility of a world out there that is not scary, and I hope he starts to think about the possibility of breaking out of the Maxhell cult. Please take your siblings with you John! They need to see the world too.

Archived