IGNORED

Bringing Up Bates & Bates Family Doings: Part 2

happy atheist

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like they know the Duggars too...

So are they friends or leghumpers? Geez, if I were a Duggar, I might only hang around ATI people just to give myself a measure of security that my friends were at least a little bit legit. One of 156895 reasons I'm glad I'm not a Duggar.

I just binge watched the first season of the Bates and while I know they follow the same hateful teachings as the Duggars, I do kinda like them more. They're not quite as... Robotic? The parents seem to be more involved in their kids' lives, too. Of course that could all just be good scripts and editing.

I'm home sick, so I'm off to watch season 2 now...

I don't get that some people round here don't get that the Bates can come across as more sympathetic without the viewer being a leghumper.

I grew up in a fairly alternative lifestyle and went to a school very much inline with my parents view on life and the world. Most of my classmates lived very similar lives to me. Some families were lovely and some awful even though we all lived the same way.

It might be that the Duggars and Bates live 95% the same way and those 5% are what make the difference or they could live 100% the same way and just seem to be nicer people -exact same toxic beliefs and all.....?

All I know is that I had to chose who to spend the day with - the Bates would win hands down. (And for me it isn't because Kelly is more PR savvy)

I don't get that some people round here don't get that the Bates can come across as more sympathetic without the viewer being a leghumper.

I grew up in a fairly alternative lifestyle and went to a school very much inline with my parents view on life and the world. Most of my classmates lived very similar lives to me. Some families were lovely and some awful even though we all lived the same way.

It might be that the Duggars and Bates live 95% the same way and those 5% are what make the difference or they could live 100% the same way and just seem to be nicer people -exact same toxic beliefs and all.....?

All I know is that I had to chose who to spend the day with - the Bates would win hands down. (And for me it isn't because Kelly is more PR savvy)

I don't know who I would choose to spend the day with. On one hand you have the parents who helped protect their son who molested children and on the other hand you have parents who helped protect a sexual predator and sent their own daughters off with him knowing the decades of stories about what this man did to the girls who traveled with him.

They are both equally icky. I get that they come off as more sympathetic and nice, but when you really think about what the parents did and what they are continuing to do(because Gothard is still in control), Gil and Kelly give me the creeps.

Having a shallow moment here...

instagram.com/p/4iaYuflUPB/

do you think erin ever just watches chad and says to herself "wow, my husband is just so hot, i wish he would take me here, on the kitchen table?"

do you think erin ever just watches chad and says to herself "wow, my husband is just so hot, i wish he would take me here, on the kitchen table?"

Gah, I hope so. What a waste of super hot man if she doesn't.

I am a little irritated by the couples holding hands ALL the time. Did anyone notice? Gil and Kelly are the worst. They even have a pillow in their car so their hands lay together comfortably while driving :cray-cray: . Why's that? Is that a common thing to do? I've never seen anything like this. It's not that they just met and are totally in love with other. They are adults and they can't even drive the car without holding hands? Strange!

They were air soft pellets, not actual pellets. As long as they are wearing eye protection - which every boy was wearing - they are safe. I've been hit with airlift pellets many time, it is like being hit with a tiny ping pong ball. In my neighborhood, I am almost certain that every single boy aged 7-13 has an air soft gun.

Then image of kids running around shooting each other with guns is not comfortable for many people. Period.

I am a little irritated by the couples holding hands ALL the time. Did anyone notice? Gil and Kelly are the worst. They even have a pillow in their car so their hands lay together comfortably while driving :cray-cray: . Why's that? Is that a common thing to do? I've never seen anything like this. It's not that they just met and are totally in love with other. They are adults and they can't even drive the car without holding hands? Strange!

I am FAR from a fundie...and have never given my husband the "adoring" look, and we're far from newlyweds. BUT...we hold hands ALL the time. I mean ALL the time. Its what we do. I'm sorry holding hands irritates you, but some folks like/want/need that contact. Some people are more into that physical contact than others.

I don't know who I would choose to spend the day with. On one hand you have the parents who helped protect their son who molested children and on the other hand you have parents who helped protect a sexual predator and sent their own daughters off with him knowing the decades of stories about what this man did to the girls who traveled with him.

They are both equally icky. I get that they come off as more sympathetic and nice, but when you really think about what the parents did and what they are continuing to do(because Gothard is still in control), Gil and Kelly give me the creeps.

That is what I meant though. The Bates have no redeeming features over the Duggars and yet they are the ones I'd choose to hang out with.

Not sure if it was the horror of living with the molester on a daily basis vs "only" on travels or living in the spotlight full-time for so many years - but the Duggars (to me) are just soooo robotic. I know both families would preach the same shit at me and judge me for the same things - but at least you would get passion from the Bates (or so it seems to me) which makes being around people for the day a lot easier to endure. (For me)

This is all so subjective though and about as useful as declaring if one would rather die via burning or drowning (or whatever the stupid question it was amongst kids at school) :shrug: lol

So are they friends or leghumpers? Geez, if I were a Duggar, I might only hang around ATI people just to give myself a measure of security that my friends were at least a little bit legit. One of 156895 reasons I'm glad I'm not a Duggar.

For real. So thankful for my heathen friends. :stir-pot:

Dang it, looks like my pictures didn't post.

Well, if you go on Ashley's (I think that's the one?) instagram and look for a bit, you'll find pictures of them (the sisters iirc) with the dillards, seewalds, and anna. Can't remember who was in which picture, but it looks like they're friends, not leghumpers.

For real. So thankful for my heathen friends. :stir-pot:

Dang it, looks like my pictures didn't post.

Well, if you go on Ashley's (I think that's the one?) instagram and look for a bit, you'll find pictures of them (the sisters iirc) with the dillards, seewalds, and anna. Can't remember who was in which picture, but it looks like they're friends, not leghumpers.

I saw them, thanks. She's pretty. I wonder if she and Nathan are regular friends, or special friends. :wink-kitty:

I am FAR from a fundie...and have never given my husband the "adoring" look, and we're far from newlyweds. BUT...we hold hands ALL the time. I mean ALL the time. Its what we do. I'm sorry holding hands irritates you, but some folks like/want/need that contact. Some people are more into that physical contact than others.

The same here, Mr Rising is even more into it than me, we hold hands, cuddle, kiss... and we´re together for more than 11 years. :cracking-up:

That is what I meant though. The Bates have no redeeming features over the Duggars and yet they are the ones I'd choose to hang out with.

Not sure if it was the horror of living with the molester on a daily basis vs "only" on travels or living in the spotlight full-time for so many years - but the Duggars (to me) are just soooo robotic. I know both families would preach the same shit at me and judge me for the same things - but at least you would get passion from the Bates (or so it seems to me) which makes being around people for the day a lot easier to endure. (For me)

This is all so subjective though and about as useful as declaring if one would rather die via burning or drowning (or whatever the stupid question it was amongst kids at school) :shrug: lol

I'm the opposite. :lol: The Duggars are at least pretty obvious in their dangerous beliefs and I would rather hang out with someone like that then hang out with people who sugar the hate to make it seem less dangerous.

One thing about the Bates vs. the Duggars, although trivial... I feel like I could walk into the Duggar compound and still wear pants (for the first few visits). I feel like if I entered the Bates' house, Kelly would immediately hand me a skirt and direct me to the nearest bathroom to change.

One thing about the Bates vs. the Duggars, although trivial... I feel like I could walk into the Duggar compound and still wear pants (for the first few visits). I feel like if I entered the Bates' house, Kelly would immediately hand me a skirt and direct me to the nearest bathroom to change.

Alyssa, is that you? :lol:

However, and I have NO empirical evidence to back this up--it's just an impression, I feel like the Duggars would make passive-aggressive comments about "modesty" and "defrauding" the entire visit...and possibly say negative things after I am gone.

I would much rather someone hand me a skirt and straight up tell me they don't like my attire and go change. Probably I would, because my policy is "your house, your rules", but if I had serious objections I could voice them then and there. I'd rather have someone be up front about how they feel than have me try and guess...or be embarrassed when I realize they've been uncomfortable about my attire the entire time.

:roll: :roll: :roll: at the Bates acting like the girls from New York are from a different planet. Yankees? Really??

I think Nathan is special friends with the Ashley girl. He keeps gazing at her the whole time and was stuck by her side

:roll: :roll: :roll: at the Bates acting like the girls from New York are from a different planet. Yankees? Really??

I think Nathan is special friends with the Ashley girl. He keeps gazing at her the whole time and was stuck by her side

Absolutely. He's smitten!

I like that Erin had an all female shower. Men at baby showers is just....weird to me.

Archived