IGNORED

Bringing Up Bates & Bates Family Doings: Part 2

happy atheist

Michael commented on her latest Instagram post that Kelly will be her matron of honor. I... don't even know what to say about this.

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Michael commented on her latest Instagram post that Kelly will be her matron of honor. I... don't even know what to say about this.

It sounds weird to call her the matron of honour.... but that's what my MIL wrote in our albums about my mom.

I was raised by a single mother, and it was more important to me to have her be my witness, than to have a friend instead. We had a full wedding ceremony/reception (no Fundie hijinks here-- only about a 80 people, inside reception, full dinner, dancing, etc) but we decided against a traditional wedding party. My husband had his cousin as his best man, but once again, that was only to sign as witness. Mr. J'Lurker and I stood up by ourselves, because it was a commitment between us two. My mom is/has always been my closest supporter, and I wouldn't do anything differently. Plus none of my siblings/friends were insulted that I picked one over the rest (not that I really care, just a bonus!)

Good on her for having her wedding her way. She's from a large family, she's close to her mom, and probably will either have only one attendant or didn't want to have to choose a "best" from among her sisters.

I think it's sweet. I've known several people who wanted their parents as MoH or BM. For some reason, there tends to be a lot less snark about men who ask their dads to stand up for them (which people seem to find endearing) than there is about women who want their moms to stand up for them (which people find odd/against tradition.)

I really think that whatever the couple wants they should have. I was my brother's "best man" at his very traditional church wedding (I'm a woman), I was my male best friend's "groomsmaid" at his (gay) wedding, my own wedding had no attendants and I was adamant that my father not "give me away." Not snark worthy, in my book.

Also, her older sisters that she is likely the closest to are married and either live states away (Alyssa) or just had a baby after a high risk pregnancy (Erin). With the wedding coming so fast, I bet MOH are really expected to pitch in and help the bride, and Michael may not have wanted to burden them with that right now.

The next sisters are Tori and Carlin, and they are just about opposite Michael in all ways. She doesn't seem that close to Tori and Carlin, and they do seem to have a gift for getting under her skin. I don't think that they have a terrible relationship. It's akin to the relationship I have with my sister. We love each other dearly, but my brother would be my MOH before she would.

At first I thought it was weird, but to be honest, if you consider that Alyssa and Erin are out because of their busy lives, Kelly makes the most sense in the family. And, of course, they're too isolated for her to have a non-family friend close enough to qualify, so I guess Kelly is it.

My step-daughter had her mother as Matron of Honor. I stood in as Mother of the Bride. They were Jewish, so no Fundie there.

I don't think Michael seems particularly close to any of her older sisters. She is always seen with Kelly, Zach or the little girls. If she wants Kelly, great. It's nice she's close to her mother.

Just for the record, my marriage certificate was signed by six witnesses; bridesmaid, best man and all four parents. Legally, only the bridesmaid and best man were witnesses but it's cool to have all six signatures on the certificate.

I'm late to the party, but I'd love to watch too, if someone would kindly send me the link. Curse Uverse for not carrying the channel!

Thanks!

Who are the 2 girls horse riding with Lawson & Nathan?

http://youtu.be/FCdNcx_MMC0

I can't tell by looking at them if they're sisters or not. For folks who don't want to watch the clip, they are "city girls," friends of Nathan and Lawson, called Ashley and Anastasia. One of them (the tall one) is a native Spanish speaker. UPtv episode description says they're from New York. They were dressed modern modest.

Just had a bit of a mooch and it seems they are sisters Anastasia & Ashley Salyer

Ashley's Insta has pics of Bates & Duggar families

Ashley and Anastasia Salyer

Ashley's instagram is public: @bronxnewyorkheart.

Ana's is private. They are an ATI family in NY.

So Ashley goes on the Philippines trips and calls Nathan her friend. Hmm.

I see Sierra Jo Dominguez and texas.gal who is friends with Alyssa and likes to match clothes with her sister.

Archived