IGNORED

Bringing Up Bates & Bates Family Doings: Part 2

happy atheist

You're right, money wise. But, maybe for the Bates family, it's a time issue. Cooking broth from scratch and creating a hearty soup from that broth may take more time and effort than the Bates family is interested in investing. Or, the amount of time and effort it takes to feed 20+ people 3 times a day may make it impossible to cook anything other than quick meals. Chicken breasts make for quick meals.

The sad thing is making a broth from scratch really is not that much work and soup tastes so much better when the broth is homemade. It is such a great way to stretch money and feed a family. I don't understand fundie cooking.

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sad thing is making a broth from scratch really is not that much work and soup tastes so much better when the broth is homemade. It is such a great way to stretch money and feed a family. I don't understand fundie cooking.

Making broth from scratch isn't very hard and you can just add whatever scraps you want and for any fundie family it would be cheaper than buying it to feeds tons of people. They've definitely go the man power and time to do a lot of cooking from scratch, but since the girls are busy watching mom and dad's kids and so many fundie parents can't be bothered......Anyway I think one of the best smells in the world is my kitchen when I make broth from scratch.

Making broth from scratch isn't very hard and you can just add whatever scraps you want and for any fundie family it would be cheaper than buying it to feeds tons of people. They've definitely go the man power and time to do a lot of cooking from scratch, but since the girls are busy watching mom and dad's kids and so many fundie parents can't be bothered......Anyway I think one of the best smells in the world is my kitchen when I make broth from scratch.

Just don't make broth from scratch with a feline headship around unless you are willing to put up with endless meowing.

Exactly we have a huge 6L crockpot you throw everything in and leave it for a day and then strain. Nice, practically free stock (As in less than a dollar for about 4L).

It often doesn't take any more time to cook 3 or 4 whole chickens than one. Chuck it in the oven or on a rotisserie attachment on a barbecue (the Duggars have a decent bbq that probably takes one) and leave it until done.

According to Lawson's Instagram, Trace went to a basketball camp (and did pretty well!). That seems pretty worldly to me, unless it was church sponsored or something.

And upon looking at his shirt, I looked up NHBC basketball camp. It's put on by New Heights baptist church out of Fort Wayne, Indiana. $200 per camper plus $50 registration. Pretty typical required items for a sleep away camp, plus a bible and money for offerings :?. Health insurance is required!

No alcoholic beverages, tobacco in any form, radios, tape, CD, or MP3 players (electronic

devices), books or magazines, knives, video games, pets, fireworks, non-prescription drugs, or

weapons of any kind are allowed at camp. No see-through or mesh-like material shirts, shirts

with questionable pictures or emblems, or sleeveless shirts are allowed. No earrings or necklaces.

Hair must be off the ears and collar. No rat tails. No facial hair. Modest length shorts are allowed

as sleepwear only. Cell phones must be checked in at the office. Any camper failing to abide by

the camp rules or unwilling to cooperate with camp authorities will be sent home at the

individual’s own expense.

Sounds so fun.

Sounds so fun.

Good grief! Those are the rules for basketball camp? Are they supposed to play b-ball in long pants? Yikes!

Yes, the rules for basketball camp. I don't understand how facial hair is bad. Isn't that how God made men?

So no books or magazines other than the bible, no music, and basketball played in long pants and shirts with sleeves.

Are they supposed to be having fun at this place? The book ban sounds very creepy.

Sounds so fun.

I'm ok with it all except for the facial hair and shorts restriction.. (who wears a rat tail anymore?) I can understand the book/magazine ban because they should be doing some sort of activity most of the time. I am totally for anything that locks up cell phones.

Sounds so fun.

Just replace the word 'camp' with 'prison' and you've got a double duty list!

Good grief! Those are the rules for basketball camp? Are they supposed to play b-ball in long pants? Yikes!

This was basically my response to the uniforms a women's basketball team wears in an episode of Murdoch Mysteries I watched last night. Being set in the Victorian era, they were wearing bloomers and high-necked frocks.

Somehow fundies manage to elicit the same reaction as the Victorians.

I'm ok with it all except for the facial hair and shorts restriction.. (who wears a rat tail anymore?) I can understand the book/magazine ban because they should be doing some sort of activity most of the time. I am totally for anything that locks up cell phones.

I have spent way too much time in these sorts of environments to think this is a good idea. It is usually a control method and a way to cut people off from being able to contact even their parents. Granted, back when I was going to ATI events and fundie "camps" no one carried a cell phone, but the camps sure made it hard to access any phones at all because they didn't want you to call home to complain.

I have spent way too much time in these sorts of environments to think this is a good idea. It is usually a control method and a way to cut people off from being able to contact even their parents. Granted, back when I was going to ATI events and fundie "camps" no one carried a cell phone, but the camps sure made it hard to access any phones at all because they didn't want you to call home to complain.

Yep, they cut you off from everything and then kept you up till one in the morning with highly emotional altar calls and then got you up again at 6 in the morning. It really was brainwashing when it came to these "camps", all to manipulate kids to make decisions so that the camps and the churches looked good. My nephew is working in one this summer and I hate it with a burning fiery hatred. Not anything I can do about it though. :pull-hair:

The rules are extreme, but I am glad he got to participate in a sport (I'm assuming) he enjoys. At least the Bates haven't made their kids quit playing sports like Steve Maxwell!

Actually a lot of those rules (except for the dress codes) are similar for a lot of overnight camps. I have gone to/worked at a number of different overnight and day camps over the years (and run one), and there are usually reasons for a lot of the rules. A lot of camps restrict cell phone use (and other electronics) because it can allow some kids to isolate themselves from the group. There's also the problem of loss/theft - it's enough for most kids to keep their areas tidy with their clothes/personal belongings than an expensive piece of equipment. It also divides kids, especially tweens/teens, into the haves and have nots as not every child has a device at this age. In a non-fundie situation (where kids are purposely being cut off for more nefarious reasons), being able to text/call parents at any time also can magnify homesickness. At a Y camp my own son went to, the kids were not allowed to call parents the first few days, and after that only in the camp office. Clearly extreme cases of homesickness were handled differently, up to a child going home early, but the point was to help kids settle in to camp. As for reading materials, comic books, books, etc. were perfectly fine and were encouraged to be used during "quiet time" each afternoon or at night. So while there are some restrictions on the list that are odd or crazy, a lot of it isn't that far off the mark for most overnight camps. The idea is the kid is there to participate in the camp program, to have fun, and to make new friends. (Except it seems in fundie camps - nothing like indoctrination in the outdoors.)

Random question: Is it still cheaper to make homemade broth if you are making vegetable broth? All the the recipes I've seen call for tons of tasty veggies, a long period of boiling, and then tell you to toss the veggies/put the veggies in your compost bin/whatever. So I feel like I could either boil a ton of vegetables and then throw those vegetables away and boil MORE vegetables in that vegetable broth to make soup-- or I could just get six bouillon cubes for a buck at the store. (Boyfriend is vegetarian, so we don't do meat-based broths.)

I was looking a the list and it seemed like usual church camp banned stuff until the part about the hair and the shorts. WTH? Every kid I know wears shorts at church camp (We use the no shorter than your finger tips rule) it's hot. Are the knees going to defraud another boy?

Surely it is not a co-ed camp.

Fundies love rules

Random question: Is it still cheaper to make homemade broth if you are making vegetable broth? All the the recipes I've seen call for tons of tasty veggies, a long period of boiling, and then tell you to toss the veggies/put the veggies in your compost bin/whatever. So I feel like I could either boil a ton of vegetables and then throw those vegetables away and boil MORE vegetables in that vegetable broth to make soup-- or I could just get six bouillon cubes for a buck at the store. (Boyfriend is vegetarian, so we don't do meat-based broths.)

I'm glad you asked this -- I have the same reaction. I buy powdered broth like this https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/1962// but usually think I ought to be making my own, but just can't stand the idea of just composting everything.

I guess the truly right way is to collect scraps as I cook and then use those scraps to make broth -- I know people who collect scraps in the freezer until they have enough for a batch -- but I don't have my freezer on most of the year right now, so that would be a challenge for me. Anyway, I will be interested to see others' responses to this.

I'm glad you asked this -- I have the same reaction. I buy powdered broth like this https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/1962// but usually think I ought to be making my own, but just can't stand the idea of just composting everything.

I guess the truly right way is to collect scraps as I cook and then use those scraps to make broth -- I know people who collect scraps in the freezer until they have enough for a batch -- but I don't have my freezer on most of the year right now, so that would be a challenge for me. Anyway, I will be interested to see others' responses to this.

I have done this, it's great. My problem is that I'm not a great cook and I use the same few veggies over and over, so my broth tends to be heavy on bell peppers, for instance, which isn't very tasty when used in broth. :lol:

Strict camp rules are pretty common, for whatever reason. I guess counselors would rather just be very anal about over the top rules than to deal with the potential liability of a kid crying to mom and dad that someone at camp stole their ipod?

I went to Space Camp in 2001 I think? and we were not even allowed two piece bathing suits. At Space Camp!! They had pretty strict rules about clothing (and it was about 110 degrees!), and we were kept on gender separated floors with someone actually guarding the staircase after about 8:00pm.

No books, though? That, I have not heard before...

Strict camp rules are pretty common, for whatever reason. I guess counselors would rather just be very anal about over the top rules than to deal with the potential liability of a kid crying to mom and dad that someone at camp stole their ipod?

I went to Space Camp in 2001 I think? and we were not even allowed two piece bathing suits. At Space Camp!! They had pretty strict rules about clothing (and it was about 110 degrees!), and we were kept on gender separated floors with someone actually guarding the staircase after about 8:00pm.

No books, though? That, I have not heard before...

How old were you? That doesn't sound very strict to me, unless you were like 18...

The rat tail thing made me "WTF?" too. Then I considered Michelle and J-Rod's aesthetic and came to the conclusion that surely there are some fundie males still rocking that wild '80s look.

I never go anywhere w/o a book to occupy me at night or whatever. anyone that bans books gets serious side eye from me.

I have done this, it's great. My problem is that I'm not a great cook and I use the same few veggies over and over, so my broth tends to be heavy on bell peppers, for instance, which isn't very tasty when used in broth. :lol:

The most expensive part would be the bouquet garni- if you don't grow your own herbs. The traditional vegetables you use are quite cheap. Celery, Carrot, and onions. We generally freeze our herbs so we have no wastage and only make stock if we have everything. But you can buy a bouquet garni at my local supermarket for about $2.00. So I'd say it costs me about $1.50 for a litre of fresh stock if I buy everything to make it. Liquid stock costs $2 and making it I know it has little/no salt (important for me). Stock cubes are cheaper but nowhere near as nice and so salty!

Archived