IGNORED

Bringing Up Bates & Bates Family Doings: Part 2

happy atheist

Not all reading material is banned; they have to bring bibles. You don't ever need to read anything else, so long as you have a bible.

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I come from a family of many librarians. My rule of thumb is that if it bans books, it's undoubtedly fucked up. I get wanting kids to get out of their comfort zone and make new friends,etc., but not even letting them read at bedtime? *screams* :shifty-kitty:

Re: the veggie broth discussion: I buy the no salt added Veggie bouillon cubes. I'm sure it tastes amazing if you make your own, but a pack of cubes is ~$2 so it's not worth it to me in the money saving department, especially since I have approximately zero free space in my tiny freezer and can't save scraps. Plus, I would be kind of sad to have to compost all the brand new veggies that I only used for the broth...

I never go anywhere w/o a book to occupy me at night or whatever. anyone that bans books gets serious side eye from me.

Same here (and I bring a second, back up book if I have fewer than fifty pages left on the first book :lol: ).

Also, I can't really fall asleep without reading for a bit before bed and it's been that way since I was eight or so. I can understand a Christian camp monitoring what types of books kids bring (e.g., no Fifty Shades of Grey), but the fact that a kid can't even bring a Christian mystery or some non-fiction book about basketball conditioning is not only weird, but shady.

Maybe Thoreau's quote should be altered to "Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes, or bans books."

I seriously doubt most kids are that torn up about the no books or magazines, but I am sure the no cell phones rule was noted by all. My nephew went to overnight football camp last summer with his school team and they had the exact same rules except for the facial hair, hairdo and dress code. They could bring along a Bible, Quran, etc. but that was it.

I think the rule with limiting cell phones, books, etc. is more to not have the counselors have so much junk to go through to make sure no one brought in something inappropriate. Also, I think it encourages the kids to get out of their rooms and meet each other. My nephew came back telling us about having a water balloon fight and all kinds of team building stuff they did each night.

I come from a family of many librarians. My rule of thumb is that if it bans books, it's undoubtedly fucked up. I get wanting kids to get out of their comfort zone and make new friends,etc., but not even letting them read at bedtime? *screams* :shifty-kitty:

Re: the veggie broth discussion: I buy the no salt added Veggie bouillon cubes. I'm sure it tastes amazing if you make your own, but a pack of cubes is ~$2 so it's not worth it to me in the money saving department, especially since I have approximately zero free space in my tiny freezer and can't save scraps. Plus, I would be kind of sad to have to compost all the brand new veggies that I only used for the broth...

I guess it really goes back to convenience vs. quality & frugality. Is the effort you put in worth the quality you'll get or the amount you'll save?

I love our big freezer and would never do without one because I'm lazy. I only cook in big batches so I always have good food in the house in the event I don't want to cook. For example I cooked a 2kg pulled pork yesterday (for 3 people). We had asian lettuce wraps for dinner last night, will have tacos tonight and the last meal will be caramelized onions, potatoes and apples with sauteed kale on Friday. And since I did it in the crockpot only one of those days I'll be slaving over the oven. And I'll see how much meat is left over tonight and there may be some for the freezer!

Tell me I'm not the only one who bought two bottles of wine to watch the show tonight.. :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

I should have - I could really use some wine about now.

I'm watching them fill bb guns to shoot at each other. :wtf: Is this a thing people do? I didn't know you were supposed to/allowed to shoot bb guns at people?

Preview for next week shows two of the kids getting braces. WTF is it with these fundie shows and trips to the dentist?

I haven't watched it yet. I guess i need to take my meds first.

OK, well that episode was disturbing. I cannot believe they allowed and filmed them shooting each other with pellet guns. In my nursing career, I have taken care of several boys who have had injuries from pellet guns, one kid lost vision in an eye. At first I thought that Gil and Kelly must not have been home because they would have put a stop to it, and then all of a sudden they show them just laughing like it was a normal occurrence. It was disgusting. Even the adorable Chad and baby Bradley couldn't erase the image of those boys running around shooting guns at each other. And, to have this shown on a night where there has been a terrible gun related massacre is beyond sickening.

I should have - I could really use some wine about now.

I'm watching them fill bb guns to shoot at each other. :wtf: Is this a thing people do? I didn't know you were supposed to/allowed to shoot bb guns at people?

They were air soft pellets, not actual pellets. As long as they are wearing eye protection - which every boy was wearing - they are safe. I've been hit with airlift pellets many time, it is like being hit with a tiny ping pong ball. In my neighborhood, I am almost certain that every single boy aged 7-13 has an air soft gun.

In one of the older boys talking heads, one of the three (not Lawson), mentioned that they didn't time for forts because of ... And courting.

We use cooking leftovers-celery leaves and butts, or celery that was a bit limp, carrot peels, onion skins or leftover bits, mushroom stems, pepper tops, etc. Add salt and turmeric. Sometimes a rotisserie chicken carcass. We keep a freezer bag and stick the odds and ends from cooking in it, and when full make stock.

Or if we feel lazy, we use better than bouillon. Takes up less space and cheaper than prepared stock.

I thought this was a weird episode..

They don't let their children watch broadcast TV, but it is hella fun to look out the window and watch your brothers shoot air soft guns at each other.

Tamir Rice was killed playing with one of these. Granted, it was not in their yard but it sends crazy mixed signals.

I left the room during the pellet gun fest. My stepfather had a cat that someone shot with a pellet gun. He found a lump on her leg, noticed she was limping. To her to the vet. Guess what was embedded under the cat's fur? Yeah, a pellet.

Dear lord, Lawson get over yourself.

Older boys talking heads - Nathan said something about not having much time due to work and school and that Lawson was recording. Did Trace say something about courting (per the above)? I'm not going back to watch just to find out.

Same here (and I bring a second, back up book if I have fewer than fifty pages left on the first book :lol: ).

Also, I can't really fall asleep without reading for a bit before bed and it's been that way since I was eight or so. I can understand a Christian camp monitoring what types of books kids bring (e.g., no Fifty Shades of Grey), but the fact that a kid can't even bring a Christian mystery or some non-fiction book about basketball conditioning is not only weird, but shady.

Maybe Thoreau's quote should be altered to "Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes, or bans books."

Well you know even good Christian books about the Amish have struggles with staying with the faith or not and staying pure and babies out of wedlock and adoptions and broken engagements. That would give these good pure gothard kids the wrong ideas, we can't have that now! (Author in mind- Beverly Lewis beverlylewis.com/)

I couldn't even type "good, pure, gothard kids" without a serious eyeroll- even though none of you could see it

Joking aside, I wonder if the Bates or Duggar girls ever read Beverly Lewis books (which I consider very conservative, modest writing) and if the struggles these teen and 20something Amish kids have would resonate with them and make them think - "ah thinking and ideas different from my parents is normal!" or would they just think "what rebellious, sinful kids?" (Anyone that has read Beverly Lewis knows the rebellious kids are not that rebellious.)

Lawson sure loves to be the center of attention. Seems like anyone in a fundie family with a spark or personality (Jessa, etc) turns out to be obnoxious.

Here is the summary of the episode that was posted on bates-family-photos Tumblr:

Bringing Up Bates High Risk, High Hopes Season 2 Episode 3

Erin and Chad visit Dr. Vic to see how Erin is progressing in her high-risk pregnancy.

Dr. Vic explains that with Erin’s condition, there is a risk of having a stillbirth.

“This is one of those situations where there is nothing you can do but pray,†says Gil.

“You just have to pray that God knows best and that we’re doing everything we can to have a healthy baby,†says Erin.

Back at the Bates house, the younger kids build an underground fort. Gil and Kelly don’t have broadcast TV, so their kids spend a lot of time outside.

Then, Lawson, Nathan, and Trace take Jackson, Warden, and Isaiah to a driving range for a golfing lesson, which, according to Zach, is just “the blind leading the blind.â€

When they return home, the older boys load their airsoft guns and try to take the younger boys’ fort. The Bates have one rule for airsoft wars: Everyone must wear eye protection.

The rest of the family watches from the window.

Erin prepares dinner for Zach, Whitney, and Bradley. According to Tori, “Erin, for the longest time, was the worst cook ever.â€

“When Erin cooked at the house, we would say, ‘When the fire alarm goes off, dinner is ready,’†teases Zach. Since marrying Chad and having a reason to develop her skills, Erin is now a great chef.

“Zach doesn’t say it much, and he doesn’t show it, but he has a hard time watching his sisters grow up and get married and have babies,†says Whitney. “It makes him sad.â€

Just wanted to share what I found.

This show, and especially this latest episode, just makes me so sad for the little girls. It is made very clear to the viewers that the male and female children partake in (and supposedly enjoy, but who knows) separate activities. It was so blatant in this episode, when a couple of the little girls were out building the fort with the three middle boys. Then Lawson, Nathan and Trace walk up and announce that the BOYS can come with them to the range to practice golf. Of course no one even asked the girls if they wanted to go too, since golf is only for males.

I wish I could hear the parents' responses for when the girls inevitably ask why they can't do X, Y and Z with the boys. As someone who has always enjoyed some stereotypically male activities despite being a female, I would've been crushed if I had grown up in a family like that. :(

Did anybody else catch Zach open carrying to dinner at Erin's?

...Why would that be necessary? Does that have something to do with his law enforcement job?

I think he does work in law enforcement. In an episode last season he wore a deputy sheriff's uniform.

...Why would that be necessary? Does that have something to do with his law enforcement job?

For some reason I originally interpreted this to mean about alcohol. I was all :naughty:

I'm much less surprised by a gun.

The last episode was so boring I could hardly watch it. When I think about it all episodes of the 2nd season were pretty boring so far.

Preview for next week shows two of the kids getting braces. WTF is it with these fundie shows and trips to the dentist?

Maybe the network pays for the dental work if the show is filmed whereas if it's not the family pays for it.

Archived