IGNORED

Bringing Up Bates & Bates Family Doings: Part 2

happy atheist

Okay...so I know next to nothing about the Bates family other than what I've seen of them on 19 Kids. And then I watched a couple of Bringing up Bates episodes this past week. Obviously I will not be reading this entire 40 page thread (though I do plan to go back at least a bit as well as do some googling.)

But I have one quick question....

Is that daughter's name actually Michaella or is it just Michael? In the intro of the show it said Michaella and I think it said that on wikipedia too. But I swear it sounded like they kept just saying Michael in the episode I watched.

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. I kept trying to listen closer to see if they were actually saying Michael or if their accents were just throwing me off...ha!

so... about the link to the episodes. does anyone have a link for season 2, episode 5?

The difference is, Kelly actually likes her older kids and has a genuine relationship with them. Michelle only likes babies and has a very stiff/cold relationship with anyone older than 5. And she views them as workers, people she is training. Kelly is more affectionate and listens to her kids. It's clear that the Bates kids are not guarding every word they say, unlike the Duggars who stick to the script.

Agree but there are more differences;

1. The Bates don't make enough money--they have HAD to let their kids get out more to earn money.

2. They went to college and even at a Christian college they met people different from themselves who were at the school because that's what Mom/Dad would pay for. It helps.

3. They have both held real world jobs and not just worked for themselves--they again had the chance to meet and work with others.

4. The Duggars have been criticized her for all sorts of things so the Bates' show producers have learned from it and accentuate the things the Bates do differently or have HAD the Bates do things differently.

Did anyone else catch that the girls were there for "spring break " and that they mentioned that teachers at school were always surprised by the size of their family?

Finally watched all of the Bringing up Bates episodes and here are some things that hit me. They've probably all been mentioned here countless times but oh well.

1.) The Bates married kids all seem to have their own unique relationships with their spouses, where as the Duggars seem to all be trying to have Jim Bob and Michele's.

2.) Gil is even more of a cheapskate than Jimboob. I know they've never had anywhere near as much money as the Duggars but they won't shut up about it, they mention it every time Gil has to open his wallet. Oh well, at least they're honest about it and aren't constantly spouting 'buy less and save the difference'.

3.) How much is Carlin studying? In one of the first episodes she, Whitney, and Tori were preparing dinner. After Whitney went home to greet Zac Carlin pulled a face and said she needed to 'do school'. She may have done some in the morning but it didn't seem that way. So was it late afternoon and she hadn't done anything? What do you think?

Finally watched all of the Bringing up Bates episodes and here are some things that hit me. They've probably all been mentioned here countless times but oh well.

1.) The Bates married kids all seem to have their own unique relationships with their spouses, where as the Duggars seem to all be trying to have Jim Bob and Michele's.

2.) Gil is even more of a cheapskate than Jimboob. I know they've never had anywhere near as much money as the Duggars but they won't shut up about it, they mention it every time Gil has to open his wallet. Oh well, at least they're honest about it and aren't constantly spouting 'buy less and save the difference'.

3.) How much is Carlin studying? In one of the first episodes she, Whitney, and Tori were preparing dinner. After Whitney went home to greet Zac Carlin pulled a face and said she needed to 'do school'. She may have done some in the morning but it didn't seem that way. So was it late afternoon and she hadn't done anything? What do you think?

I never thought about number 1, but it is a nice difference that the married Bates are not trying to be exact clones of their parents, unlike all 3 of the married Duggar kids although of course all of them are good fundies so far. The Bates definitely seem more comfortable admitting their kids will do things differently than they did. I think Alyssa is going to be the most different.

I don't hold much credo by what is show on the show IRT studying or day-to-day life, we already know they choose days to film and it's not one solid day or whatever, so things like schooling and whatever are probably not accurately depicted.

I never thought about number 1, but it is a nice difference that the married Bates are not trying to be exact clones of their parents, unlike all 3 of the married Duggar kids although of course all of them are good fundies so far. The Bates definitely seem more comfortable admitting their kids will do things differently than they did. I think Alyssa is going to be the most different.

The Duggars, I think, are TOLD to be like that--to show the WISDOM of their parents. Anna was clearly "made over" into Mini-Michelle--always being dressed like her, hair like her etc. We weren't apparently supposed to notice that the REAL Michele is too old to have more kids so they put Anna/Josh in there hoping we wouldn't notice. They all do the creepy Gothard "attentive listening" thing with the disapproving Jim-Bob/bored/ angry /hubby/ adoring/Love-me-puppy look depending on the circumstances. I imagine ALL of this has been toned down on the Bates' show--they used to do it all too.

Zach, having been run over by the bus the first time, picked his own wife and told them to "deal with it" imho.

Just watched the new episode of BUB. It had both Kelly and Gil visiting Alyssa and John after Allie Jane was born (they only filmed at the house after the birth...nothing was shown of the actual birth - which was what I expected) and then Brandon proposing to Michael. Gah - I must admit...that was such a sweet proposal.

Brandon worked with Gil to have Michael think she was surprising him in Washington DC but he was planning the proposal. He sent her on a scavenger hunt around the Washington monument and in DC - with each clue having a folder containing the next clue, some item (he explained them at the end), and then a DVD. His sister went along with Michael as she found the clues and watched the DVDs. Kelly and Gil and Brandon's parents were there in the end watching the proposal from the distance and then surprised her at the end there as well. I know it was contrived for TV to some extent...but it felt much more sincere than either Derick's proposal with the song or Ben's scavenger hunt. You could tell he put a lot of thought and emotion into the clues and messages - based on Michael watching the DVDs and then crying with emotion.

It might be the wine speaking - but it was actually quite sweet. I'm not usually a romantic sappy type person, but I do appreciate thoughtfulness, and I felt like his proposal day for Michael was just that.

I still am sad she isn't escaping the quiverfull life and Gothard and all that...but she does seem happy at least.

Did anyone else notice that the Florida Supreme Court struck down the state's gerrymandering of congressional districts? Although Alyssa's FIL Daniel Webster is not called out in this article, it does say because the narrow district next to his needs to change, his might as well:

orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/political-pulse/os-florida-high-court-orders-congressional-maps-redrawn-20150709-post.html

Not like it will change his awful beliefs or terrible ideas, but he might have a less conservative district someday.

Brandon made quite a hike to get the ring done, Morris is not considered a suburb. I think he lives in La Grange, it has to be over an hour without traffic.

Probably a good jeweler. I'm still watching the show so I can't comment further! Although, the ring looks pretty.

any mention/ idea if Michael will get tested for the same clotting disorder that Erin has? I know she has a 1 in 4 chance of having it. would they wait and see? I personally would want to know.

any mention/ idea if Michael will get tested for the same clotting disorder that Erin has? I know she has a 1 in 4 chance of having it. would they wait and see? I personally would want to know.

That is between her and her Dr., I hate to think that Brandon has to know her genetic make-up before asking her to marry him.

If that is the case, she should request a sperm count.

Brandon's proposal was much more sincere than Derick and Ben's. It was his own. It shows how scripted Derick and Ben's were. Michael seems happy. Though, why go all the way to DC? He could have done in near her home.

Brandon's proposal was much more sincere than Derick and Ben's. It was his own. It shows how scripted Derick and Ben's were. Michael seems happy. Though, why go all the way to DC? He could have done in near her home.

I think it's nice that he took her somewhere else, somewhere special.

I really thought the proposal was precious. Seven personalized videos, pieces of the ring to explain it all, etc. Yeah, I had a tear in my eye.

I think he may have proposed in DC to keep a boatload of Bates kids out of the picture. They seem to think that every event is a family event.

He is definitely crazy about her. Really sweet proposal - and even though the ring wasn't my taste - the back story behind it was lovely.

Are his sisters still ATI? Angie has her own apartment and PANTS on so.... What do we know about them?

He is definitely crazy about her. Really sweet proposal - and even though the ring wasn't my taste - the back story behind it was lovely.

Are his sisters still ATI? Angie has her own apartment and PANTS on so.... What do we know about them?

You're one of the few people who think he's also crazy about her, not just the other way around. I'd agree, though I think he's way less fond of the Bateseses' family circus and everyone butting in at all times. He's very cautious and restrained around other Bates people and the camera crew and I think he'd enjoy having more privacy with just Michael.

Archived