IGNORED

Josie had seizure for 15 mins before EMT arrive- People Mag

quiversR4hunting

It's OK that you assumed I was abled. I rarely think of myself as disabled, but your post reminded me that I,too, am part of the larger group of people with impairments.

Again, I used the MR term because there may be people here who are unfamiliar with intellectual disability, which I did put into parentheses to show them the current term.

But no matter how we word it, a cognitive disability is devastating. We can call it MR, ID, CD, etc. but a word is really just a word when it comes to the reality and challenges facing these people and their families. We can't give words so much power over us when actions are more important in the the end.

:clap: Yeah you worded it a lot more nicely than I did.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are the mods? I believe there is a rule forbidding the use of the "r" word.

But words and language do have power over us, whether you want to 'let' them or not. The words we use serve to legitimise and de-legitimise actions, serve to humanise and de-humanise people and so on. Think of the impact that anti-abortion advocates managing to get their position labelled as 'pro-life' has had on their cause, as opposed to being referred to as 'anti-choice' or 'anti-abortion'; words and labels manage to shape wider thinking (and therefore actions) within society. Yes, it's not a direct cause->effect relationship, but the relationship between discourse and behaviour is certainly there and should not be easily dismissed.

I don't think someone with a mental disability is automatically "intellectually" disabled or "retarded." Someone can have significant challenges and still be brilliant.

I also don't think that one can have issues hitting milestones on time and still be qualified as being any kind of disabled. Especially if they're a micropremie.

That said, I really don't think theres any reason to call someone "retarded," whether you're using it in the "correct" manner or not. Real definition or not, it had become a slur and is used to degrade and demean people; to make them seem as if they're not wanted in our society. Especially when it's paired with "intellectually," which paints their disabilities (or perseved disabilities) as something that makes them incapable of thought or intelligence.

I'm late to this discussion, but, in the 1970s, when I was in nursing school, the word "cretin" was actually one of the words we learned to differentiate the levels of mental retardation. We also learned about "Mongoloids"- children who now are classified as having Down Syndrome. While I have never used the word "cretin" (except when I was defining it, when my children were watching a cartoon show and the bad guy's favorite word was cretin) I have remembered it, and also "Mongoloid".. and, yes, "mental retardation." It is these words which my mind uses when I am mentally cataloguing them. NOT for purposes of denigration, simply to understand.

I find this relabeling business to be somewhat problematical. With a disability such as this (and I understand the word "disability" is also shunned at times, what the hell can people say?) what can it be called? It's a diagnosis, no more. There is a stigma to being an alcoholic. There is a stigma to being a drug addict. There is a stigma to being a sex offender. However, all of these are diagnoses. Unfortunately, there is a negative attachment to people who are intellectually challenged or disabled or what have you as well. It is the stigma we have to fight, not the label.

I'm late to this discussion, but, in the 1970s, when I was in nursing school, the word "cretin" was actually one of the words we learned to differentiate the levels of mental retardation. We also learned about "Mongoloids"- children who now are classified as having Down Syndrome. While I have never used the word "cretin" (except when I was defining it, when my children were watching a cartoon show and the bad guy's favorite word was cretin) I have remembered it, and also "Mongoloid".. and, yes, "mental retardation." It is these words which my mind uses when I am mentally cataloguing them. NOT for purposes of denigration, simply to understand.

I find this relabeling business to be somewhat problematical. With a disability such as this (and I understand the word "disability" is also shunned at times, what the hell can people say?) what can it be called? It's a diagnosis, no more. There is a stigma to being an alcoholic. There is a stigma to being a drug addict. There is a stigma to being a sex offender. However, all of these are diagnoses. Unfortunately, there is a negative attachment to people who are intellectually challenged or disabled or what have you as well. It is the stigma we have to fight, not the label.

:clap: :worship: :clap:

Retard does have one place that it is acceptable to use... music. Slowing of the tempo.

That is all I have to contribute to that discussion.

I read this thread yesterday, and had a dream that there was a rumor that Josie died, but nobody would confirm it or deny it... Jill, Jessa, and Josh wouldn't respond, and Michelle and Jim Bob said "You have to wait and see the show...." Amy had said something on instagram that sparked the rumor that Josie died.

I would hope that if something like that happened, even the leghumpers would grow disgusted with the Duggars. Especially the ones who believe they should be privy to every moment of the Duggars lives.

I don't think someone with a mental disability is automatically "intellectually" disabled or "retarded." Someone can have significant challenges and still be brilliant.

I also don't think that one can have issues hitting milestones on time and still be qualified as being any kind of disabled. Especially if they're a micropremie.

That said, I really don't think theres any reason to call someone "retarded," whether you're using it in the "correct" manner or not. Real definition or not, it had become a slur and is used to degrade and demean people; to make them seem as if they're not wanted in our society. Especially when it's paired with "intellectually," which paints their disabilities (or perseved disabilities) as something that makes them incapable of thought or intelligence.

Intellectually disabled is the official term now in use by the government. So, what else would you suggest?

Nobody said a person with a mental disability is severely disabled. But the specific diagnosis that is now called intellectual disability means the adaptive and cognitive skills of those people are very impaired.

Those wonderful little sweet pickles called midgets are not called midgets any longer. A woman with a daughter suffering from dwarfism got upset and they changed it. However, if you called her daughter a midget i know she would throw a huge fit. So why take the name from the pickles? Some people REALLY need to grow a slightly thicker skin. I was told my micro preemie would likely be severely retarded. Yes, retarded. I didn't get angry or demand a different descriptor. He wasn't, but if he had been my goal would have been to make his life as great as possible within his limitations but it would not have been to control the language of complete strangers. I try to keep my language non offensive most of the time but sometimes the PC police get a bit tiring.

Those wonderful little sweet pickles called midgets are not called midgets any longer. A woman with a daughter suffering from dwarfism got upset and they changed it. However, if you called her daughter a midget i know she would throw a huge fit. So why take the name from the pickles? Some people REALLY need to grow a slightly thicker skin. I was told my micro preemie would likely be severely retarded. Yes, retarded. I didn't get angry or demand a different descriptor. He wasn't, but if he had been my goal would have been to make his life as great as possible within his limitations but it would not have been to control the language of complete strangers. I try to keep my language non offensive most of the time but sometimes the PC police get a bit tiring.

I was a Nicu nurse for 3 decades. We were always instructed to use clear language. For example, "will likely pass away" would not have been used. Instead, "will likely die" would have been used. Clear language that left little to no room for misinterpretation was used. False hope and platitudes are just as destructive as offering no hope.

Even if Josie did have any delays or health issues, J'chelle and Boob probably will never admit it because it could take away from her perfect miracle status.

[

I was a Nicu nurse for 3 decades. We were always instructed to use clear language. For example, "will likely pass away" would not have been used. Instead, "will likely die" would have been used. Clear language that left little to no room for misinterpretation was used. False hope and platitudes are just as destructive as offering no hope.

Adult ICU nurse, here. CLEAR, UNDERSTANDABLE language. See bolded. People need to know what they're facing, both the patients (in my experience) and their families. Sometimes, it needs to be repeated and confirmed. Tissues at the ready, and a supportive nurse to help with the fallout.

Retard does have one place that it is acceptable to use... music. Slowing of the tempo.

And the musical term is spelled "ritard". It's Italian.

Re: slurs and "PC" terms -- this is not about people being "offended" or needing to grow a thicker skin. This is about people asking to be treated with a basic level of respect. Words like "retard", "midget", "n****r", etc have been used against the populations they refer to as terms of abuse. It doesn't matter if you don't understand why they don't like it. It doesnt matter if the term is technically or linguistically correct. If someone says "please don't call me that", you don't call them that. It's just basic manners and human decency.

*plunks 2 pennies on the counter and relurks*

[anchor= goto=][/anchor]

Umm... maybe because they didn't have oxygen or other medical equipment on-hand?

Could have been. So, then why wouldn't one of them been on their phones communicating that they are enroute to the hospital with Josie and Medic could meet them on the road instead of waiting around at home? My kids had febriel seizures as older babies and lived in rural areas. The police arrived first within minutes. One case the ambulance came and Medics met us enroute; second case the ambulance took him all the way into ER.

Yes, that was my point. They told me straight, how it was. They didn't mince words our

Yes, that was my point. They told me straight, how it was. They didn't mince words or sit around stressing over being PC so as not to offend me. And they shouldn't have had to. I pulled up my big girl panties and prepared for the worst.

I can't remember who mentioned about the midget comment and my saying some people need to grow thicker skin and I can't find out because my phone is terrible, but yes, that is what it's about! I was talking about someone making them rename pickles because apparently SHE views her daughter add a midget and by god she's gonna do whatever she can to slowly eradicate words from our language she finds offensive. I wonder when she'll decide to attack dwarf hamster breeders. Some people just want to be offended.

Yes, that was my point. They told me straight, how it was. They didn't mince words or sit around stressing over being PC so as not to offend me. And they shouldn't have had to. I pulled up my big girl panties and prepared for the worst.

I can't remember who mentioned about the midget comment and my saying some people need to grow thicker skin and I can't find out because my phone is terrible, but yes, that is what it's about! I was talking about someone making them rename pickles because apparently SHE views her daughter add a midget and by god she's gonna do whatever she can to slowly eradicate words from our language she finds offensive. I wonder when she'll decide to attack dwarf hamster breeders. Some people just want to be offended.

Snow White and the seven vertically challenge men

ETA: wait .. she's went after a pickle name but left Dunkin Donuts alone?? But they sell those horribly offensive donuts called Munchkins.

And the musical term is spelled "ritard". It's Italian.

*plunks 2 pennies on the counter and relurks*

Thank you :-) I have only heard the term and seen the symbol. I didn't know it was spelled different. My choir teacher told us first semester "It sounds bad nowadays, but that is the word. It means to slow the tempo" and ever since then has used the word to mean just that.

http://www.people.com/article/tlc-19-kids-counting-new-season-sneek-peek

I have a question for the medical FJers. - What constitutes a long seizure? What kind of damage can happen in seizures?

From the article:

I don't know very much about this topic at all. However, I do have a very dear friend with a newly diagnosed seizure disorder. I don't know the details of how long her first seizure was, but I do know that she lost all of her vision and went from being a full-time working, brilliant, R.N., to feeling as if she is a hopeless SAHM who cannot even "mother" her child.

(Please note: I clearly do not see this friend in the same light that she views herself and hope very much to help change her perspective as time progresses)

Thank you :-) I have only heard the term and seen the symbol. I didn't know it was spelled different. My choir teacher told us first semester "It sounds bad nowadays, but that is the word. It means to slow the tempo" and ever since then has used the word to mean just that.

The full word is "ritardando", it's just frequently shortened to "ritard." and "rit." for convenience and space saving in scores. I'm assuming both words come from the same root (?), but obviously ended up with very different meanings, as "ritardando" only applies to tempi.

Because there is nothing you can really do for someone who is seizing - if they have medication then by all means administer it - but other than that the only thing that can be done is to keep the person safe from injuring themselves further like rolling or falling.

Childhood friend has grand mal seizures all the time, like every few days, sometimes more than once a day. She has said the same thing, nothing can be done but to wait it out. It absolutely terrified her young teen son the first time but he has gotten used to it and although it is upsetting to watch, it is no longer panic inducing. She has described the aftermath as feeling hit by a mac truck.

I hope for Josie's sake this doesn't become a regular occurrence. It is going to firmly cement her miracle child status for good and her family will probably wrap her in even more tissue paper.

Jana has a steady head on her shoulders. Sounds like she did everything right.

Agree with other posters who think a seizure is an excellent time to turn off the flipping camera's! Nobody in this family can date, er court, marry, give birth or even die without it being recorded for ratings. It has gotten absolutely sick. :disgust:

"Viewers will have to tune in to find out the details of her medical situation" :roll:

When did this happen? I guess this season is full of surprises :roll:

If this doesn't tell fans how much the lives of the kids is for the show, nothing will.

Honestly, since it didn't make the cover of people or anything like that, I imagine that Josie's condition isn't anything too concerning. The Duggars would definitely have announced Josie's trip to the hospital if it was life threatening or a long term condition that posed a serious threat to her well being. At the very least, they would have done it as a way to further use her story as proof of their "faith in God" and how much of a miracle her life truly is. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if TLC milker it for viewership but it ends up being another ferbile seizure with no lasting affect on her wellbeing.

The Duggars with the rare exception like Jill aren't sensitive nor empathetic people. Either they just don't have it in them or know one cares about nurturing it; We have many, many instances of this. Same for intellectual curiosity.

Archived