IGNORED

Josie had seizure for 15 mins before EMT arrive- People Mag

quiversR4hunting

If she was seizing for longer than 5 minutes, that's status epilepticus. It is life-threatening, and while the paramedics may have taken a long time because they live far away from them, she really needs to be evaluated for neurological or metabolic problems, because with a seizure that goes for that long, there is an IMMENSE risk of brain damage or even death. The poor girl. I hope she's doing better now.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again money is more important than their kids. Why film something like that

Do they even have a choice anymore?

I'm no Duggar fan but I wouldn't be surprised if they signed over their souls long ago without taking the possibility of Josie seizing on a filming day as something that even needed consideration.

I think, outside of a very specific set of restrictions, TLC considers everything that happens on camera (as well as the big life event stuff) to be fair game.

There is no need to say "mentally re*arded". We know what you mean. You can just say intellectually disabled.

Mentally retarded is not a "bad" word used in this context. In fact, that was the official medical label until very recently.

As an aside, I really don't think "intellectually" disabled is a nicer term.

Poor Josie. I wonder if she had a (or a few) brain bleed during her NICU stay? If so, would this put her at risk for having seizures later in life?

My son had a stroke 2 days after his open heart surgery and the stroke caused a series of seizures. Luckily, he was still in CICU at the time, so they were able to get the seizures under control very quickly. Actually we were lucky that he had the seizures because they are what caused them to find that he had even had the stroke. He was on anti-seizure medication for a year and a half, we weaned him off and thankfully he never had any more.

Edited for typo.

Look, I'm not a fan of the way JB and Michelle parent - I actually detest some of the choices they make... But there is no doubt in my opinion that they love their kids very much. We have no clue why Jana was the one who had to deal with this situation. It is entirely possible that her parents were not home when this happened and they were heading to the Hospital when Jana was interviewed. I'm sure their parents were incredibly grateful that Jana handled things the way she did.

It's also possible that TLC considers anything they film to be fair game when it comes time to air a new season. Finally, I think it's incredibly unfair to assume the parents would put the health of their child below ratings - all we saw was one small clip. Until the episode airs we have no way of knowing just how much of this situation was filmed and included. It could very well be that the parents told TLC not to include it and TLC didn't listen or only cut some stuff as a compromise.

Once the episode airs then judge all you want. Until then I think the focus should remain on hoping Josie gets better, not on bashing her parents for choices we believe they made.

I also think that if it was truly a life threatening or very serious situation, it wouldn't be on TV. Clearly the kid is, more or less, ok.

I am sure there are some but i have never seen a micro preemie who didn't have a brain bleed. My son still has a blood clot embedded in brain tissue that will always be there from his and he's 17 now. Considering what could be wrong with Josie, she seems normal. I see 5 year olds all the time that are at least as immature as her if not more so that are considered normal because no-one is picking them apart looking for something to be wrong. Yes, she's immature, but she also has super shitty parents. As for the way she looks, the preemie look does make a child have a similar look to children with chromosomal issues for some reason. It was really the biggest shock to me with my micro preemie. Maybe because everyone tells you all these things to expect But no-one ever says' oh yeah, and they are going to look different from other kids for years' . She looks like a typical former micro preemie. It will go away eventually.

Am I the only one who noticed the spooked horse right before they carried Josie away? I think she either fell off the horse or got kicked by it. It is quite common for kids to have seizures after a concussion or traumatic brain injury.

I saw that clip and wonder this as well.

I agree. She looked like she was really rocking out. I doubt she'll get to bring the drums home because Gothard doesn't allow music with a beat. The Smug 'rents will say something for the cameras about the drums being too noisy for their home, but they were probably praying for Mack's soul.

I wouldn't be shocked if Josh rocks to Lynard Skinner or AC/DC these days--at least in the car! lol...

I paused the video. there was no one on the horse and there wasn't anyone really near it except the person who I assume was trying to calm it down. I doubt anyone fell off the horse. If they had, I'm sure that would have been in the clip.

A seizure lasting for 15 minutes is huge. I really hope they meant that it took EMS 15 minutes to get there, not that she was seizing for 15 minutes.

This is what worries me about it, bless you for doing that.

There is a day I remember clear as a bell from 4th grade, we had reading buddies in kindergarten. One day the boy I was reading to had a seizure, he has autism . I remember having the girl I was reading to him with run to get the teacher while I had to talk to him and try and keep him from hitting himself in the head. I really hope if this is recurring thing for Josie that Jim bob and Michelle get her tested to make sure nothing like that is wrong and if it is, she can receive the correct treatments.

In sixth grade, we had a kid who was prone to seizures. The teacher was out of the room for a minute when it started. At first, everyone thought he was clowning around (because that was his nature) Then we realized it was serious. I don't remember if someone ran to get a teacher, or if ours came back in time? I remember all of us kids were moved outside while the ambulance and the boys mother showed up. He was okay thank God.

I also think that if it was truly a life threatening or very serious situation, it wouldn't be on TV. Clearly the kid is, more or less, ok.

The Duggars would put anything on TV.

Clearly, we don't know whether she's truly OK more or less. We have never known whether she's truly OK more or less.

The Duggars would put anything on TV.

Clearly, we don't know whether she's truly OK more or less. We have never known whether she's truly OK more or less.

They put Josie's birth on tv which was clearly a life threatening event for both her and J'chelle. Then they continued to film her when it really was touch and go for a while since she was a micro premie and had that bowel obstruction or something. I said this in another thread, but they filmed the memorial service for Jubilee. They filmed JL's last days and his funeral. They will film anything. I'm actually quite surprised they didn't film Jubilee's "birth". I guess the cameras weren't there for that one, bc I honestly believe they would have filmed it had they been there. They filmed everything else.

Before my retirement last year, I had worked as a NICU and PICU nurse for 34 years. I do not think that Josie is intellectually delayed. She is tiny, but so is her mom, so maybe she was always going to be more petite. The most glaring concern IMO, is her speech... and that applies to many of the Duggars. Kids that are read and spoken to most often, tend to have better speech patterns.

In all honesty, I think the kids are probably all delayed somewhat and I wonder if any of them have fully actualized their potential? Too many kids, no formal schooling and parents who were more concerned with the kids that they could have VS the ones already born. In a way, it's basic neglect.

Before my retirement last year, I had worked as a NICU and PICU nurse for 34 years. I do not think that Josie is intellectually delayed. She is tiny, but so is her mom, so maybe she was always going to be more petite. The most glaring concern IMO, is her speech... and that applies to many of the Duggars. Kids that are read and spoken to most often, tend to have better speech patterns.

In all honesty, I think the kids are probably all delayed somewhat and I wonder if any of them have fully actualized their potential? Too many kids, no formal schooling and parents who were more concerned with the kids that they could have VS the ones already born. In a way, it's basic neglect.

, THIS! There doesn't seem to be issues with the kids, the issue is the parents.

I just watched the video again. The person carry Josie to the ambulance isn't a Duggar, I don't think. But Jana says "Josie seized 15 minutes before the paramedics got to the house and then seized the whole way here". That really sounds like she had seized for fifteen minutes by the time paramedics got there and then continued to seized the whole way to the hospital. For being the main parent and the one who is clearly in charge, she sure is able to keep herself calm and in check. No snark. She really does seem like the most mature person in that entire family. They're really lucky to have her.

Also, I'm not sure the horse scene has anything to do with the Josie being taken to the hospital scene. No one is around the horse when it get spooked. The area doesn't look like anything on the TTH property. It looks like an actual horse ranch area. Which ever child is in the cowboy hat, that's the "scary" line, bc the horse is scary to her. Wasn't Jennifer afraid of horses before?? Those two scene aren't connected, unless that's why J'chelle and JB weren't at the TTH when Josie seized. I think it's just poor editing on TLC's part.

I just watched the video again. The person carry Josie to the ambulance isn't a Duggar, I don't think. But Jana says "Josie seized 15 minutes before the paramedics got to the house and then seized the whole way here". That really sounds like she had seized for fifteen minutes by the time paramedics got there and then continued to seized the whole way to the hospital. For being the main parent and the one who is clearly in charge, she sure is able to keep herself calm and in check. No snark. She really does seem like the most mature person in that entire family. They're really lucky to have her.

Also, I'm not sure the horse scene has anything to do with the Josie being taken to the hospital scene. No one is around the horse when it get spooked. The area doesn't look like anything on the TTH property. It looks like an actual horse dance area. Which ever child is in the cowboy hat, that's the "scary" line, bc the horse is scary to her. Wasn't Jennifer afraid of horses before?? Those two scene aren't connected, unless that's why J'chelle and JB weren't at the TTH when Josie seized. I think it's just poor editing on TLC's part.

More likely, purposeful to hook viewers...and get them to tune in to the show.

So while I can believe that they will film anything, I still can't believe that they put this clip of Josie laying there motionless on the stretcher with the oxygen mask, on TV. I'm a pediatrician and while I'm sure she was laying so still is since she was coming out of the seizure, that is still frightening. If this was a family I was taking care of I would be seriously questioning their priorities. :( And where the eff was Me-chelle?

The seizures (I say seizures because Jana's statement implied that there were at least two otherwise the time frame would have been until she got to the hospital not she seized before they got there and then all the way to the hospital) happened during the day. The film crews were probably already there. it's very unlikely they called the crew out for that specifically and that the crew would have arrived and set up before the EMTs even got there.

As for where Michelle and JB were, they could have been anywhere. They might have even been there. Just cause Jana has the talking head doesn't mean that they weren't involved. We haven't even seen the episode yet, let's hold off on passing judgements without evidence.

Archived