IGNORED

Chris Maxwell photography California weddings

WonderingInWA

Here are a few photos of the Asian couple, they are under his "How to Deal with Amateurs" section.

flexible-double-flash-1.jpg

flexible-out-of-way-1.jpg

flexible-in-the-way.jpg

flexible-kiss-1.jpg

flexible-kiss-2.jpg

flexible-kiss-3.jpg

The irony. It stings.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SteveMaxwellLackofPhotography_zps3cad278a.png

I had to think about this for a bit, but this photo makes me wonder:

Unless Christopher is making them hold this pose while he awkwardly shifted over to the right to get the "candid" shot that included the guy holding the reflecting piece, he is taking this one while they are posing for a different photographer.

Could perhaps our man Chris be only the *backup* photographer? Or is he actually getting this shot set up for real and then saying "hold it just like that" and then moving over to specifically get the candid shot? Seems odd to me either way...

I had to think about this for a bit, but this photo makes me wonder:

Unless Christopher is making them hold this pose while he awkwardly shifted over to the right to get the "candid" shot that included the guy holding the reflecting piece, he is taking this one while they are posing for a different photographer.

Could perhaps our man Chris be only the *backup* photographer? Or is he actually getting this shot set up for real and then saying "hold it just like that" and then moving over to specifically get the candid shot? Seems odd to me either way...

See, I don't think that's Christopher holding the screen, I think it's John (or maybe even Joseph). Whomever it is looks like a Maxwell, just not Christopher. So that's why I wondered at all about this whole photo shoot. It was in California, Christopher probably didn't do it alone, yet it wasn't the same weekend that John took Uriah to California. I think there's more to the story here!

See, I don't think that's Christopher holding the screen, I think it's John (or maybe even Joseph). Whomever it is looks like a Maxwell, just not Christopher. So that's why I wondered at all about this whole photo shoot. It was in California, Christopher probably didn't do it alone, yet it wasn't the same weekend that John took Uriah to California. I think there's more to the story here!

I hadn't even thought about who was holding the screen! I don't think it could be Christopher as he [presumably] took the shot we're looking at. But the couple isn't looking at the camera that took this shot, they're looking straight ahead to where I presumed the *other* photographer is standing, getting ready for one of the formal shots. So either there is another photographer, taking what look like the actual/formal photos (in which case Christopher is the secondary/backup photographer), or Christopher stepped to the side to get this shot while the couple continued to look straight ahead (which is just weird).

I wrote a reply but it disappeared.

I'm pretty sure it's John.

Those weddings were the weekend of J&E's housewarming (if the blog is to be believed ). John and Chris are absent from the photos. Jesse and Joe a were there though.

My theory is that John is courting someone in California.

I love the guy who's checking his cell phone.

CHRISTOPHER! PAY ATTENTION, DUDE!

Clearly, for many of these couples, faith not only trumps fact, it trumps talent as well. Who cares if your photographer is good as long as he's godly.

Sparkles, you nut. THIS IS PHOTOJOURNALISM! Do you not get IT? :nenner: :nenner: :nenner: :nenner: :nenner:

he might think photos of couples staring off is artistic. He usually takes a side shot of the bridal party, too.

Maybe why he left that screen in the shot is that the photo was an "ad" pic for the website - look he brings actual photographer equipment.

I hadn't even thought about who was holding the screen! I don't think it could be Christopher as he [presumably] took the shot we're looking at. But the couple isn't looking at the camera that took this shot, they're looking straight ahead to where I presumed the *other* photographer is standing, getting ready for one of the formal shots. So either there is another photographer, taking what look like the actual/formal photos (in which case Christopher is the secondary/backup photographer), or Christopher stepped to the side to get this shot while the couple continued to look straight ahead (which is just weird).

That's definitely John acting as photographer's assistant, which isn't at all unusual at a shoot. I've helped out a couple of times, everything holding the scrims to throwing fake snow to handing off cameras (and changing film in the old days). At least I give Christopher credit for knowing that he needed the scrim, considering he's shooting in the harshest, most unflattering sunlight possible.

As far as why or how John was along for the ride, we'll never know. Steve's version of the family and their activities is so heavily edited that I'm sure we don't know one-tenth of what actually goes on. Whenever we come across an unedited tidbit, the idle speculation bus revs up so fast it goes right off a cliff, something that probably amuses Steve no end.

Christopher's photography still sucks. I'm saving my pennies so I can buy his book, although I may go blind when my eyes roll right out of my head.

.christophermaxwell.com/faq-photojournalistic-wedding-photography-style.htm

I think I figured it out. Read the above article. He does mean to leave the cords in place and get shots of the groomsmen picking each other's noses. I think this is exactly the result of the school of Steve Maxwell. He really thinks this is good. He does not understand what a good photojournalist styled photographer would do.

Eta: read the whole faqs section. It is all explained.

WTF are "Photojournalistic Wedding Photographers that don't actually take Photojournalistic photos"? I *think* Christopher means "Wedding Photographers that don't actually take Photojournalistic photos", but that's not what he said ...

Also, the best man whose tie is being adjusted isn't wearing a bow tie. That's just a plain old tie. Bow ties are identifiable by the fact that they're TIED INTO BOWS.

I know I'm being petty, because Christopher's command of vocabulary and ability to proofread are incidental to his photography skills, but it irks me.

Oy vey. I'd say that maybe he thought it was funny, given the banner in the background but I think that's giving him too much credit. Especially since THERE IS NOTHING FUNNY ABOUT THE LORD! Or the Maxwells either, who clearly were late the day god was handing out a sense of humor.

I just fell down the rabbit hole.... Of the 26 wedding photo galleries on CMaxhell's site 22 have photos of other people taking photos or videos. The only four not fitting the criteria were:

Josh and Kerin Sept. 2005

Matthew and Kaitlyn June 2007

Phillip and Tiffany May 2010

Cory and Joy August 2013

Not. Even. Joking.

WTF are "Photojournalistic Wedding Photographers that don't actually take Photojournalistic photos"? I *think* Christopher means "Wedding Photographers that don't actually take Photojournalistic photos", but that's not what he said ...

Also, the best man whose tie is being adjusted isn't wearing a bow tie. That's just a plain old tie. Bow ties are identifiable by the fact that they're TIED INTO BOWS.

I know I'm being petty, because Christopher's command of vocabulary and ability to proofread are incidental to his photography skills, but it irks me.

If the Lord God lays it upon Christopher's heart that he is a photojournalist, than he IS a photojournalist. 'Nuff said. :snooty:

Oy vey. I'd say that maybe he thought it was funny, given the banner in the background but I think that's giving him too much credit. Especially since THERE IS NOTHING FUNNY ABOUT THE LORD! Or the Maxwells either, who clearly were late the day god was handing out a sense of humor.

At least the woman wasn't scrubbing the commode.

You know, I really wonder if he's making more money off stock photography sites than you know, actually photographing weddings. Because that's what all this looks like. Bad stock art.

I think you're wrong, and I think the reality is much, much worse: He set the photo up and had the woman pose. With a vacuum. For wedding photos.

You know, I really wonder if he's making more money off stock photography sites than you know, actually photographing weddings. Because that's what all this looks like. Bad stock art.

Nah, unless there's a stock agency run by fundies that only deals with other fundies who think THINK they're photographers but are really just clueless, no way he's selling stock. I buy stock art on a daily basis and his stuff would never pass muster at any of the reputable sites like Shutterstock, iStock, Getty, Corbis and so on. They want artists, not hacks. Plus, Christopher would have to secure model releases from every single person in his photos in order to make them commercially available. Somehow I can't see his clients or their guests going along with that.

I think he's about to pick her up. Because fundie brides apparently lose the ability to walk right after they tie the knot and must be carried out of the church.

Archived