IGNORED

Chris Maxwell photography California weddings

WonderingInWA

$1250 + travel. Not sure where that falls in the photography world.

That's close to what we paid for ours, a little less, but we got a leather bound book out of it with designed, printed pages. It must have taken our photographer several hours to make the book. We were supposed to get a big canvas anniversary shot too, but we forgot to follow up :lol: She did the reception and everything. And we got a cd of all her proofs.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The average starting fee for wedding photographers in my area is around $3-4000. Of course, you have to take into account that this is in metro New York (Long Island, NYC is probably even higher) so Christopher's fees might be average for Kansas. I looked at the site of the photographer who did the Nathaniel Forrest wedding and her fee was around $1000. She's in Tennessee or thereabouts (smileforsophie or something like that). Whatever Christopher charges though it's still overpriced. I think someone's Aunt Tillie could do a better job with a disposable camera.

.christophermaxwell.com/faq-photojournalistic-wedding-photography-style.htm

I think I figured it out. Read the above article. He does mean to leave the cords in place and get shots of the groomsmen picking each other's noses. I think this is exactly the result of the school of Steve Maxwell. He really thinks this is good. He does not understand what a good photojournalist styled photographer would do.

Eta: read the whole faqs section. It is all explained.

This may be OT, but if he is working on CA weddings- it's illegal in CA to refuse any type of wedding services to same-sex couples. If someone ever wanted to try fining this Maxwell right out of "business"...

Then again, his photos suck! My wedding photos are better, and all I had for photography was a friend who had a good camera since she's an international student and wanted to capture her memories of time here. Plus, it might just make the Maxwells whine even more about persecution for Jeebus.

Is it illegal for any photographer to refuse to photograph a Californian same sex marriage,or does that only apply to photographers who are registered as businesses in California?

Not so sure about that, but perhaps there can be a "nexus" argument, and if he often works in CA, there may be some sort of registration tying him to that state.

I know I love to play devil's advocate, but not this time. There is nothing good about Christopher Maxwell's photos. If I were him I would be embarrassed that I was asking people to pay me for it. But as others have mentioned, this is classic Maxwell. The blind arrogance is incredible.

I tried playing devil's advocate at first. I said he's probably not allowed to see any normal photos and he's doing the best he can. Then I read his website, and apparently he's read a few instructional books on wedding photography with example photographs. There's really no excuse.

Not so sure about that, but perhaps there can be a "nexus" argument, and if he often works in CA, there may be some sort of registration tying him to that state.

He is not a legal entity in California, does not have operations in California and therefore cannot be in California to refuse service. Plus, he does not refuse service to a protected class. He won't photograph your wedding for plenty of non protected reasons and could easily argue that the dancing, alcohol or immodest dress was the reason.

I tried playing devil's advocate at first. I said he's probably not allowed to see any normal photos and he's doing the best he can. Then I read his website, and apparently he's read a few instructional books on wedding photography with example photographs. There's really no excuse.

But Steve might might have redacted any naughty bits like ankles and shirt sleeves.

But Steve might might have redacted any naughty bits like ankles and shirt sleeves.

His books must look like the Roswell files. :lol: Scant text with entire pages blacked out.

Christopher Maxwell, if you ever read this: The Truth Is Out There!!

That's close to what we paid for ours, a little less, but we got a leather bound book out of it with designed, printed pages. It must have taken our photographer several hours to make the book. We were supposed to get a big canvas anniversary shot too, but we forgot to follow up :lol: She did the reception and everything. And we got a cd of all her proofs.

That's about what we paid for our photographer as well. We also received a lovely book and a CD, and this was quite a while ago before CDs were the norm. We also did not need to pay for travel expenses, since our photog was local.

And our man wasn't even a full professional. He was kind of a jack-of-all-trades type of businessman who had a talent for photography. It was one of many businesses he ran, and he only did photography on a part-time basis. Still, he blew Christopher Maxwell photography out of the water.

The saddest part to me is how this is Christopher's business, he is a grown man with his own family and home and job, and yet in every thread where we discuss his "photography" his father Steve is mentioned. Why? Because we know that Christopher's umbilical cord has yet to be snipped and Stevehovah is really the one running the show and making the rules.

Stevie, you suck. And so do your widdle boy's photos.

He is not a legal entity in California, does not have operations in California and therefore cannot be in California to refuse service. Plus, he does not refuse service to a protected class. He won't photograph your wedding for plenty of non protected reasons and could easily argue that the dancing, alcohol or immodest dress was the reason.

But what about a modest, teetotaling lesbian couple that hates dancing? :think:

.christophermaxwell.com/faq-photojournalistic-wedding-photography-style.htm

I think I figured it out. Read the above article. He does mean to leave the cords in place and get shots of the groomsmen picking each other's noses. I think this is exactly the result of the school of Steve Maxwell. He really thinks this is good. He does not understand what a good photojournalist styled photographer would do.

Eta: read the whole faqs section. It is all explained.

This is fascinating to me. He's quite dense if he thinks this is what wedding photojournalism is. And he seems to think that makes him artistic and creative when he turns the camera to make things off kilter but all it does is make him look like he's slipping down a hillside while getting that shot. He doesn't have a good eye for framing at all, and he clearly hasn't done a sweep/recon of the areas he's shooting so he'd know that things were in the way when it was time for his "photojournalism".

IMO, the big flaw with Christopher's photography is that it's soulless and unemotional. Brides and grooms or fans and chafing dishes–-there's really no difference. He has no idea how to capture the spirit, the spontaneity, the LIFE in the weddings he shoots but given the Maxwellian philosophy that really comes as no surprise. He completely misunderstands what photojournalism is because he's never had to opportunity to view it, much less study it. One of the exhibits at the Newseum in Washington (a must-see) is a retrospective of Pulitizer Prize winning photos and the raw emotion, both happy and sad, is palpable. True, a lot of great photos are the result of being in the right place at the right time, but a photographer still needs to be able to recognize those moments. There is NOTHING is Christopher's life that can provide him with this kind of insight and it's why he'll never be anything more than someone who just takes pictures instead of MAKING pictures.

Compare his work to that of this photographer, someone I know from another board. We haven't really stayed in contact but I still check her website because I love her style. She has life experiences, she continues to study and learn, she teaches, she shares and all of that informs her work. There's a joy in her photography that you'll never, ever find in Christopher's because he's been forced to go through life with blinders on, fearing everything that doesn't meet the strict criteria his parents have for what it good and worthwhile.

http://www.marmaladephotography.com/htm ... php#!/HOME

That's about what we paid for our photographer as well. We also received a lovely book and a CD, and this was quite a while ago before CDs were the norm. We also did not need to pay for travel expenses, since our photog was local.

And our man wasn't even a full professional. He was kind of a jack-of-all-trades type of businessman who had a talent for photography. It was one of many businesses he ran, and he only did photography on a part-time basis. Still, he blew Christopher Maxwell photography out of the water.

The saddest part to me is how this is Christopher's business, he is a grown man with his own family and home and job, and yet in every thread where we discuss his "photography" his father Steve is mentioned. Why? Because we know that Christopher's umbilical cord has yet to be snipped and Stevehovah is really the one running the show and making the rules.

Stevie, you suck. And so do your widdle boy's photos.

I looked up a former classmate of mine who moved from amateur photographer to taking wedding pics. She charges $1900. Not only are her pics better, her website is 1000x better, far more informative and much more professional. Don't think good ol' Chrissy is as cheap as he thinks he is.

To the bolded, HELLS YES! The 1 Ton Ramp only exemplifies this from a business prospective. Well that and the fact none of the Maxwell men have ever managed to leave and cleave farther than a mile down the road. That is the primary reason why I think the daughters have a low likelihood of getting married. Even if Steve-O finds someone acceptable, I don't think either the daughters or the parents will be able to cut the cord and let them go. Hell they all weeped when Nathan moved out of the house, all the way across the yard....

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]How about this one?

"Tongs resting in steaming dishes."

I have a picture like this from my wedding. Except I got married when it was popular to put disposable cameras on the tables(do people still do that? I haven't seen any at any recent weddings I have been to.) and so little kids got hold of them and ran around snapping strange pictures. But thankfully my wedding photographer did not take any pictures like this. I can't believe people pay for this. :snooty:

I have a picture like this from my wedding. Except I got married when it was popular to put disposable cameras on the tables(do people still do that? I haven't seen any at any recent weddings I have been to.) and so little kids got hold of them and ran around snapping strange pictures. But thankfully my wedding photographer did not take any pictures like this. I can't believe people pay for this. :snooty:

I doubt people do the disposable camera thing anymore since most people don't do film anymore. It's actually really expensive to develop film now. I think all the guests just use their cell phones and tag the couple on Facebook and Instagram.

My friend had us all download an app so that all the photos and videos we took on our phones during her reception were uploaded to her account and she could see them. It was pretty clever.

I think one of the problems is that Christopher likely doesn't really have an interest photography. It is just a career chosen for him by Steve. If you like something, you cultivate it. My friend took an interest in photography, so she took classes. She is always taking practice pictures, even if it's just flowers in the backyard. I don't think Christopher is out there taking practice pictures to become better at it. I would bet he only picks up the camera on a day he is actually working.

I think they are strippers on the side... Christian strippers. Dollars for Jesus!

I can just hear them now, backstage . . .

"Shit - my G-string's full of tracts again. No real money."

I have the same Bible verse for Christopher telling others how to be photographers as I had for Sarah teaching writing:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=KJV

Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Oh, and Hot Steaming Tongs is a great name for a band.

Wow. I can't sleep so I decided to take a flick through his albums.

To the Mother of the Bride- add 'no pics of price tags on ties' to that list. (That's in the Alvie and Erin 2008 album).

Oh, and Hot Steaming Tongs is a great name for a band.

That, or the Reversals.

We had the disposable cameras too. When we had the film developed, we were blessed with a couple of anonymous d*ck pics. We had a good laugh about who might have done it (hoping it was one of our drunk friends and not one of our uncles or something, cause that would just be weird).

Some internet sleuthing has shown that Rachel and James wedding was in Redlands, CA. Its at the far end of the Inland Empire, but not Podunk by any means. The population is almost 70 thousand people. I know at student at the University of Redlands and my other good friend works there.

To be fair, not all his weddings are on the site. I know there are several others, including an Asian couple, that aren't there. I am assuming this is representative work from clients who don't mind. Also, the family photography page does seem to have more rotation going on. The products and architecture pages never update.

Here are a few photos of the Asian couple, they are under his "How to Deal with Amateurs" section.

flexible-double-flash-1.jpg

flexible-out-of-way-1.jpg

flexible-in-the-way.jpg

flexible-kiss-1.jpg

flexible-kiss-2.jpg

flexible-kiss-3.jpg

Archived