IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 9

happy atheist

Phillipines= Catholic country. Is conversion their real mission? Why do they always seem to choose Catholic countries?

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Phillipines= Catholic country. Is conversion their real mission? Why do they always seem to choose Catholic countries?

Believe me, they see Catholicism as a mission field. I remember when I was a teen (over 30 years ago), working VBS and the ladies in charge discussing how to get the Catholic kids saved. Unsuspecting Catholic parents would allow their children to attend VBS, I can only guess they had no idea the Baptists were trying to save the Catholics from themselves.

Believe me, they see Catholicism as a mission field. I remember when I was a teen (over 30 years ago), working VBS and the ladies in charge discussing how to get the Catholic kids saved. Unsuspecting Catholic parents would allow their children to attend VBS, I can only guess they had no idea the Baptists were trying to save the Catholics from themselves.

I saw a missionary claim that only 2% of Italians are Christian. I 'bout spilled my Cheerios at that one. Conveniently, that means that the mission field in Old Europe is wide open. If I was an evangelical looking to get into missions, I think I'd manage to get "called" to Rome instead of Africa if I can help it.

My fundy cousin-in-law claims only 1% of Swedes are Christian. I pointed out that their national statistics say 99% Lutheran but he says both the government and people lie. The Swedes do not attend church every week therefore they aren't Christian. So far, he has done two mission trips to Sweden.

Nice work if you can get it. I'd like someone to pay for me to have a holiday in Europe!

Let's not forget Mitt Romney did his mission trip in the south of France...it must have been rough. I wonder how many heathens he converted?

My fundy cousin-in-law claims only 1% of Swedes are Christian. I pointed out that their national statistics say 99% Lutheran but he says both the government and people lie. The Swedes do not attend church every week therefore they aren't Christian. So far, he has done two mission trips to Sweden.

Nice work if you can get it. I'd like someone to pay for me to have a holiday in Europe!

Attempting to convert people with money, who already have a religion- Effing crass.

Well hey, the French are mostly Catholic too, aren't they?

Europe has so much potential ... Spain, Italy and France (all mostly Catholic), Germany and Scandinavia (Lutheran & Catholic), eastern countries (well we all know their heathen, don't we?). I see a long future for myself in Europe. Lol.

Edit to add: SassyPants, I agree completely. This is the man who told me you shouldn't get to know people before you convert them because they made lead you astray. Convert first, get to know them later. (I was trying to suggest getting to know people and find out their needs instead of assuming everyone wants to live like a middle class Aussie.)

Well hey, the French are mostly Catholic too, aren't they?

Europe has so much potential ... Spain, Italy and France (all mostly Catholic), Germany and Scandinavia (Lutheran & Catholic), eastern countries (well we all know their heathen, don't we?). I see a long future for myself in Europe. Lol.

Right? If you define "Christian" narrowly enough, you can go anywhere or nowhere and still be a missionary. You could be a missionary in New Orleans! Or São Paulo. You can go to gay Mardi Gras. For the heathens, of course.

Right? If you define "Christian" narrowly enough, you can go anywhere or nowhere and still be a missionary. You could be a missionary in New Orleans! Or São Paulo. You can go to gay Mardi Gras. For the heathens, of course.

Or Carnival.

I was pretty offended when I learned about Americans coming to Australia as missionaries. This was in the mid 80s. I thought Australia was pretty cool as it is and I didn't want it turned into America either culturally or religiously. The missionaries were mostly trying to work in NT, WA & QLD with remote indigenous communities. They seem to have missed the fact that 200 years of mixing with the British-Australians had pretty much destroyed indigenous culture, particularly the missionaries who, with the best if intentions, created the stolen generation. The last thing they needed was more outsiders trying to change their culture.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20904996,00.html

I called it. It's a girl for the smuggars. Meredith Ann Duggar is coming!! :dance:

This news is hardly a ripple in the pond. Sorry Smuggars, you have so many kids now that your gender reveals are not interesting.

I do want to give Josh a kudo for handing Mac the first cupcake. The closeup of the expression on her face is so steenkin cute. The few times I have seen Mac I have really enjoyed it, I hope they give that kid a chance to be something more in life than to raise her as a breeder.

Maybe the even stevens of the situation now, 2 boys 2 girls, will be reason for Josh and Anna to stop having kids.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20904996,00.html

I called it. It's a girl for the smuggars. Meredith Ann Duggar is coming!! :dance:

I think its a good name guess--but I fear that it might be spelled "creatively"-- Meridyth, or something.

Props to Josh for flat out saying, "We aren't having 19 kids, and we aren't going to try to have as many as possible."

Michelle is not pleased, I bet.

I bet this is the last M child that get national news coverage for its sex reveal. Once there are Dillard & Seewald babies to compete with-- no one will care about M5 and M6.

OMFG. Did Derick (and Ben who was pushing him) seriously hit the cat on purpose?! I mean, there was SO much space, I can't see how it could possibly have been an accident. And is that Joy hysterically laughing in the background? Seriously, these people... :pull-hair: :angry-banghead:

Is it:

A) Stupidity?

B) Being naive and immature?

C) Does not give a shite?

D) Attention seeking ?

Not a nice thing to do to kitty, Derick.

And can someone explain to me whether or not it's typical to go sledding on a cookie sheet? I don't really have a frame of reference here, it's not like we get much snow here in southern Texas. But that just looked really odd to me.

>squints<

Maybe you're right, I see a random howler carrying one in the background. But at first glance from Derick's back end, I'd have sworn he was on an old cookie sheet. :lol:

Derick said something while walking over to where he sat himself down on his cookie tray, something like, " ...at the cat". Then he sits down and says, "Move cat", just before his BFF Ben pushed him. In my opinion, he purposely chose to slide into/over the cat. Just sad.

And why in the world was he wearing a blue ribbon on his chest?

Derick's just as adolescent as the family he married into. I had such high hopes ... college graduate with a good degree, college mascot, 2 year missionary commitment in a foreign land ... but true colors have been revealed. He has sunk himself down to his wife's level.

ETA: Looks like a cookie sheet to me. They use to use old campaign signs but maybe they don't have anymore left.

I am saddened by Derick's apparent lack of good decision making and maturation.

On a positive note, at least we know how some of these non-everyday-working- adults kill time.

Archived