IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 9

happy atheist

I must say I'm genuinely happy for Josiah. He gets to hang out with guys of his own age and spend a whole month away from the TTH and the Alert gulag. Plus he seems like a guy who really does like helping others so this trip to the Philippines is a win-win situation to him.

Now I wonder about the Museum of the Natural History... a bit different from the Creation Museum!

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we know who all is going on the missions trip to the Philippines? Or are we just assuming that Josiah is going with Lawson (and Nathan) because they were in NYC together? And anyway, a medical missions trip - and what exactly would their qualification for that be? Seriously, I freaking hate their stupid missions trips. Why can't they just leave people alone? And then there is the fact that over 90 percent of Filipinos are already Christians. But, you know, since most of them are Catholic, of course that doesn't count. Leave people the fuck alone and just admit that you're going on a vacation to the Philippines. Nothing wrong with that!

JuJu Chang of ABC News' Instagram implies that Lawson, Nathan & Josiah are going. Lawson's Instagram of last night says that he left today for a 3 week trip.

Lawson went last year I believe, and at least one Duggar guy (JD?) went along as well.

I can't get the Bates Family website to open right now, but the trip was discussed in several posts including this one: thebatesfamily.com/philippines-aftermath/ and on FJ as well.

Do we know who all is going on the missions trip to the Philippines? Or are we just assuming that Josiah is going with Lawson (and Nathan) because they were in NYC together? And anyway, a medical missions trip - and what exactly would their qualification for that be? Seriously, I freaking hate their stupid missions trips. Why can't they just leave people alone? And then there is the fact that over 90 percent of Filipinos are already Christians. But, you know, since most of them are Catholic, of course that doesn't count. Leave people the fuck alone and just admit that you're going on a vacation to the Philippines. Nothing wrong with that!

Almost everyone there is Catholic so I don't get it.

Almost everyone there is Catholic so I don't get it.

Just like in Central America-

They have to go to more remote places because more wordly people are on to their BS.

They are trying to increa$e their number$...more innocents for JesusGothard.

The best part is that in El Salvador (my mom is from there) everyone is Catholic as well. Or practice a mix of Catholicism and native/indigenous practices.

AND.

How can you proselytize when you dont speak the same language? (real question)

The best part is that in El Salvador (my mom is from there) everyone is Catholic as well. Or practice a mix of Catholicism and native/indigenous practices.

AND.

This is one thing that has driven me nuts over the years. I have friends that have went on missions and whether they were Christian or Mormon had studied and had a working knowledge of the language before going and certainly had a better grasp when coming back. There are full immersion courses, internet group courses etc., that this family can afford. Jill showed interest and so they do half ass bartering with one of their fundie friends for lessons and the result none of them have a grasp beyond casa. It is just that there are so many resources this family could use and have full control over, since that is a big issue with them. Their missions are a bunch of nothing. glorified field trips with TLC footing the bill. Just show for the cameras so they can call themselves philanthropists.

I also find it very distasteful when JB adds O's and basically mocks their language. Not funny boob makes him look like an ignorant ass. :angry-banghead:

AND.

At least that probably means that they aren't getting too many converts. Gothardism and the IFB in general is very US-centric and only really appeals to a certain subset of white, mostly Southern, Christians. It doesn't seem to travel very well, simply because IFB missionaries expect the people they come in contact with to be exactly like them. This makes me wonder what the appeal is for people like the Hartanos, who are neither white nor American. Do they ever feel like outsiders or do they identify so much with the IFB culture that they don't really notice?

How appropriate for this conversation:

Jim Bob (and the Bates) are speaking in Guadalajara, Mexico this week (Gil & Kelly right now; Jim Bob on Saturday) at an IBLB seminar: http://iblp.org.mx/files/2015/02/Mexico ... hedule.pdf

One thing that strikes me: all the speakers seem to be non-Mexican-- which I think underscores the idea that Gothard isn't doing a very good job of creating Gothard followers abroad.

I AM SURE THAT JIM BOB WILL SPEAK AS LOUDLY AS POSSIBLE SO THE AUDIENCE CAN UNDERSTAND HIM. :D

And call the town "GOO-A-LA-GAR-A" or something similar.post-2155-14451999943104_thumb.jpg

post-2155-14451999943326_thumb.jpg

I'm watching the first episode of the new season- why were Ben and Jessa allowed to be alone in the kitchen while they were planning their wedding (before Michelle popped in)? And they were so flirty- I thought Jessa was leaning in for kisses at one point! Does the camera crew count as a chaperone?

I'm watching the first episode of the new season- why were Ben and Jessa allowed to be alone in the kitchen while they were planning their wedding (before Michelle popped in)? And they were so flirty- I thought Jessa was leaning in for kisses at one point! Does the camera crew count as a chaperone?

I wonder if in response to the criticism about adult children requiring chaperones led to editing which makes it look like they are alone.

AND.

{L_OFFTOPIC} :
My dad was from there!

I was just listening to some Salvadorian music too!

Okay, moving on.. :)

Is it only JB and M going to Mexico? Will Jana and GM have to take care the rest of the children?

They usually have interpreters. Someone needs to do a documentary on these "mission" vacations and go and interview the people that they go an "save" to find out what they really think. I am sure they don't mind getting the dollar store toys and school supplies, but I often wonder if anything really and truly "convert" to the fundy theology.

so do the duggars want reverse the demographic shift ?

Also if the duggar and Bates boys go into an actually scientific museum, they actually may learn something or is there a short cut that lets you bypass dinosaurs and evolution?

Also if the duggar and Bates boys go into an actually scientific museum, they actually may learn something or is there a short cut that lets you bypass dinosaurs and evolution?

They'll just walk through that part shaking their heads and laughing condescendingly to all the believers around them. You know like Boob and a few of them did when they visited the creationism museum and spoke with the guide about the opposing view. That episode is one of the ones that really show these people as the asshats they are and I'd love to see all the footage they cut out haha!

I always wonder what the Duggars reactions would be to certain pop culture things. Like Game Of Thrones, for instance. If the older girls sat down and watched Game Of Thrones, what sort of crazy reactions would they have? Would they think "the entire world is going to hell because they love this!" or would their minds be blown.

I always wonder what the Duggars reactions would be to certain pop culture things. Like Game Of Thrones, for instance. If the older girls sat down and watched Game Of Thrones, what sort of crazy reactions would they have? Would they think "the entire world is going to hell because they love this!" or would their minds be blown.

Mullet would lose her collective sh*t and Boob would probably like the show.

They'll just walk through that part shaking their heads and laughing condescendingly to all the believers around them. You know like Boob and a few of them did when they visited the creationism museum and spoke with the guide about the opposing view. That episode is one of the ones that really show these people as the asshats they are and I'd love to see all the footage they cut out haha!

I've seen fundies who go into a science museum and laugh at the sections on evolution. It's so annoying. :x If you're going to be a disrespectful ignoramus, just skip it, or better yet, don't come at all. The only reason I can think of that the Bateses and the Duggars would be at a science museum would be if someone else was paying for it, and it looks like CBS was

After having watched the scrubbed down episodes on Netflix I get it. They want to make sure they are likable to a whole new set of people. Let's face it a lot of the stuff these people did with a smile is questionable. Ah the beauty of editing. Very smart on their side to keep the money rolling in off of dvd and streaming.

I was so happy upon joining here and finding out I hadn't lost my head because they had infact been white washed.

And yes Cleopatra7 I agree. Don't go somewhere just to look down upon it. That is bad manners and breeding. Wait manners, breeding, sense and the duggars in a sentence don't mix. Well Breeding if you're speaking in different terms. :roll: It would be like any one of us going into a place of worship that had opposing views to ours and laughing. It's rude and uncalled for.

Wasn't there a picture of Lawson Bates alongside a T rex skeleton at the Museum of Natural History posted over on the Bates thread? I think Josiah may have been with Lawson, but I'm not sure.

Wasn't there a picture of Lawson Bates alongside a T rex skeleton at the Museum of Natural History posted over on the Bates thread? I think Josiah may have been with Lawson, but I'm not sure.

Yes--JuJu Chang of Nightline took Lawson & Nathan Bates & Josiah to the NY Museum of Natural History last week as part of filming a segment with them before they flew to their "medical mission" trip to the Philippines.

Anyone else a little concerned about this "medical mission?" The thought of these kids performing even basic medical care is kind of frightening.

Anyone else a little concerned about this "medical mission?" The thought of these kids performing even basic medical care is kind of frightening.

They don't even need to pass out aspirin. Can't imagine what they think they are really going to do.

This happened once when Jessa went to visit Ben's family (when they first started courting). Bill(?) chaperoned out on the porch.

What exactly is this medical mission thing, and why does Josiah wear scrubs for it?

Archived