IGNORED

Stupid shit on FaceBook

Shirley Blest

ITA - they are pretty much made-up by corporate america so we buy their junk.

And of course, trending on Facebook today is "No Bra Day"--which is all about raising awareness for breast cancer. Yes, I am sure that is exactly what it is doing, with no ulterior motives. (To be fair, all of the trending posts were from people who were deeply offended by the idea.)

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And of course, trending on Facebook today is "No Bra Day"--which is all about raising awareness for breast cancer. Yes, I am sure that is exactly what it is doing, with no ulterior motives. (To be fair, all of the trending posts were from people who were deeply offended by the idea.)

Ha! I just posted about that in the Breast Cancer thread! :o

Has anyone heard of BSSM - Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry? It's located in California and I have a couple of Facebook friends from the church I was raised in who are going to "school" there. They are constantly posting status updates with how much money they are trusting God for, for the upcoming semester with a link of where to give...

I actually like the idea of "no bra day," because hey, an excuse not to wear a bra! Oh wait, it's connected to breast cancer? I'm gonna shut up now.

472d71f1b326adcfc475e9273363fb97.jpg

Caption: "Just because it's Tuesday"

who even takes the pics for these posts. I can't imagine asking a coworker to take a few shots of me so I can post on fb 'just because it's tuesday'

I guess it's better than the bathroom at work selfies.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to pull it up but it won't let me copy/paste. Look up Arkansans For Informed Consent. At first I thought it meant something like you need to tell people you are infected with an STD before you have sex with them... But no, it's all anti vax crap.

Yeah, that gun meme made it's way to my husband's Facebook. One more he put on mute. You can't fix stupid.

On 10/14/2015 at 0:37 AM, iheartchacos said:
3a163a9d8d7e1342b948893d167adfb2.jpg

Just going to leave this here.

I aways say guns don't protect you make you safe stop crime or make you robocop.

In the midst of posts about Halloween costumes and candy, I ran across this status from the mother of a toddler:

"[Son] WENT PEEPEE IN THE POTTY!  YAAAAAAY!!!!!  HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!!"

Thanks a lot for that.

Another post had a couple announcing that they were having a boy by saying, "The [Husband's Last] name will live on!"  SMH!

Not stupid shit but...

Photo on my feed just now. Three pumpkins labeled daddy, mommy and two year old daughter's name. The middle of the mommy one is carved out and there are TWO small pumpkins inside labeled baby 2 and baby 3.  It is pretty damned cute. 

Thought this was worth a mention.

So my friend had a date this week. First one since her divorce, in fact. She claims he was a respectful gentleman, then posted that he was a jerk who was "after only one thing." She then goes on to give his full name and says that he used to be with the local police department.

...Why do I get the feeling that this isn't going to end well? 

My parents & other relatives like a music duo, Joey & Rory, and share a lot of things from their Facebook page.  The wife half of the duo has terminal stage 4 ovarian cancer, so a lot of the FB stuff is prayers, prayer vigils, that kind of thing.  Which is all well and good, until you read the comments and there are people recommending Gerson, black salve, alkalizing, essential oils, and all sorts of other mind-freaking craziness, because broccoli cures stage-4 cancer, y'all. 

My parents & other relatives like a music duo, Joey & Rory, and share a lot of things from their Facebook page.  The wife half of the duo has terminal stage 4 ovarian cancer, so a lot of the FB stuff is prayers, prayer vigils, that kind of thing.  Which is all well and good, until you read the comments and there are people recommending Gerson, black salve, alkalizing, essential oils, and all sorts of other mind-freaking craziness, because broccoli cures stage-4 cancer, y'all. 

I have a co-worker from about 10 years ago that is basically at the end of her struggle with various cancers. She will pass very soon.  I have read about her struggle and fight over the past two years via Facebook.  If FB didn't exist, I'd have no idea about this as I live in a different part of the country now and we really were not super close at the time.  I only added her many years ago when I was FB-crazy and added just about anyone.  Her struggle kept her from my mass-trim of friends.  Anyway, surprisingly, there were not a lot of "wacko cures" being suggested as her fight waxed and waned.  She was strong all along and for the most part always posted the most optimistic updates...  I always sensed there might be a bit more to the story.  Her husband recently posted a very telling updated that she's on her last days.  Many people seem shocked and outraged over it and keep posting for her to "Fight!!"...  I don't know, everybody's different.  I think that if I was told there were no more options, etc, I'd just try to enjoy life as much as I could.  It's all so sad and hard to explain.

I have enjoyed Joey and Rory's music and have followed her story.

I find myself aggravated by some of the response comments I have seen. I am not sure why some people cannot just say, thinking of you, or keeping you in my prayers, or something along those lines.

why is it that people think they can try to influence what others post on their own damn wall?

my fiance posted a little mini-rant about the new harley quinn look in suicide squad and how he doesn't like it, how he thinks it just looks cheap and trashy, etc. (he got a lot more, uh, detailed than that, but you get the idea). cue someone posting "costumes change, get over it."

now, if he'd posted such a thing in a group, i would expect dissenting opinions and people telling him to get over it and deal with it and other people sticking up for it and saying it's not that bad. however, he posted his PERSONAL opinion on his PERSONAL wall, and apparently this one person just couldn't handle that fact. fiance promptly told him to fuck off and he didn't post another comment. fiance and i are of the same mindset when it comes to people trying to tell us what we should like and what we should just get over or what we aren't allowed to say in our own spaces: fuck off.

why is it that people think they can try to influence what others post on their own damn wall?

my fiance posted a little mini-rant about the new harley quinn look in suicide squad and how he doesn't like it, how he thinks it just looks cheap and trashy, etc. (he got a lot more, uh, detailed than that, but you get the idea). cue someone posting "costumes change, get over it."

now, if he'd posted such a thing in a group, i would expect dissenting opinions and people telling him to get over it and deal with it and other people sticking up for it and saying it's not that bad. however, he posted his PERSONAL opinion on his PERSONAL wall, and apparently this one person just couldn't handle that fact. fiance promptly told him to fuck off and he didn't post another comment. fiance and i are of the same mindset when it comes to people trying to tell us what we should like and what we should just get over or what we aren't allowed to say in our own spaces: fuck off.

(Disclaimer: There surely is some happy medium to be found).

Actually - A FB page is not exclusively one's own. (That would be a JOURNAL). The whole point of FB is that your "Friends" read what you post, and maybe some of them even respond - that would be the "social" part of "social networking". While it might be my "right" to post anything, as long as it doesn't violate FB terms of use, it is also the right of my FB friends to remove me from their FB friends list.

Likewise, I have removed a few individuals from my FB friends list. Note: I didn't try to tell them what to post or not to post. But I didn't have to keep reading it, either.

(Disclaimer: There surely is some happy medium to be found).

Actually - A FB page is not exclusively one's own. (That would be a JOURNAL). The whole point of FB is that your "Friends" read what you post, and maybe some of them even respond - that would be the "social" part of "social networking". While it might be my "right" to post anything, as long as it doesn't violate FB terms of use, it is also the right of my FB friends to remove me from their FB friends list.

Likewise, I have removed a few individuals from my FB friends list. Note: I didn't try to tell them what to post or not to post. But I didn't have to keep reading it, either.

the point of my rant was, though, that if a personal opinion is posted on a personal page, nobody should think "hey, this person just needs to get over it" and subsequently tell them so in a manner that suggests "sit down and shut up". in a group, that's one thing. on a personal wall, it's another. i think it's beyond rude to basically tell other people to censor their own opinions because they think said opinion is stupid or overrated or whatever.

later on in the thread, there was good discussion. a couple of people agreed with fiance completely. one didn't personally find it as offensive. yet another agreed that the costume sucked but the jacket was kinda cool. even out of the people who didn't totally agree with fiance, there wasn't the sense that they were commenting because they thought fiance shouldn't have posted it or that he should get over it or anything like that. that's the difference. just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean you have to be a condescending twit about it.

i've unfriended and unfollowed quite a few people. i don't presume to be as rude as to try to tell other people what they can and can't post on their own damn wall. if i don't like it, i scroll past or hide or unfollow or unfriend, as the situation warrants. if i feel i can politely discuss something, i will. but telling someone to shut up about something they obviously have their own personal opinion on? nope. fiance and i are very uncensored in our personal lives, and while we extend the courtesy to not chastize friends for their personal opinions, we expect the same courtesy in return.

(it's a part of our friendship contract, section 2-a, subsection 5, paragraph 7 ;) /sarcasm)

edited for riffles, cuz percocet is fun, y'all

I had a friend who was constantly posting notices that he would unfriend anyone who posted about (fill in the blank with whatever might have irritated him that day). 

I unfriended him after seeing about ten of them. It was just ridiculous. It is one thing to disagree with someone but to just announce that "If you are friends with me you may not post about" whatever topic is really ridiculous. His list included weather, time changes, food, and a lot of other pretty trivial stuff. 

Has anyone heard of BSSM - Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry? It's located in California and I have a couple of Facebook friends from the church I was raised in who are going to "school" there. They are constantly posting status updates with how much money they are trusting God for, for the upcoming semester with a link of where to give...

yes, our youth pastor went there and he was hired by our new head pastor who is all I to the Bethel stuff. Husband and I not liking the focus on God blessing you financially and some other weird stuff that's creeping in. Said youth pastor also does a lot of expensive youth group stuff and tells the kids not to let $ stop them. Well real life is that us parents aren't paying for all that stuff! They will have to work  some stuff!  We are skeptical of the bethel school of supernatural ministry and attitudes. That are creeping into our church.

Seen three times already today: 

Picture of small child saluting a flag with this caption: 

"Facebook had the NERVE to remove the beloved photo "Little Timmy salutes the flag" because non-Americans find it "Hateful". Let's all like and share to show there's nothing hateful about AMERICA"

Some questions come to my mind, the first being the most important: 

If FB removed it, how is it that it is here for all of you to like and share? 

Secondly, am I supposed to recognize this photo? Who finds it "beloved"? Who is "little Timmy"? Why do you speak of it as if it is some iconic photograph that it is important to everyone when I never saw it until today? 

Seen three times already today: 

Picture of small child saluting a flag with this caption: 

"Facebook had the NERVE to remove the beloved photo "Little Timmy salutes the flag" because non-Americans find it "Hateful". Let's all like and share to show there's nothing hateful about AMERICA"

Some questions come to my mind, the first being the most important: 

If FB removed it, how is it that it is here for all of you to like and share? 

I haven't seen that one yet, my relatives are falling behind.  I get a lot of memes like "Share if you agree that U.S. flags should never be banned from American classrooms" or some other thing that really hasn't happened in the first place.  My mom's contribution was a photo meme that said "glad to live in a country where I can still pray" or something.  Because prayer is illegal in the US, of course.   It's just another variation of the "War on Christmas" that gets spewed around.

Hidden Content

I have a Facebook friend who believes the Earth is flat. 

OK, this one takes me be surprise (and I didn't think I could say that about anything that comes across FB).

I do say fairly often that FB has unfortunately made me realize that there are a lot more not-very-bright people than I ever thought there could be.

Archived