IGNORED

To where should they flee?

jingerdoe

Okay, so having established by popular vote, the most deserving Duggar would-be-escapees are Jana, Josiah, Jinger, JoyAnna and Jennifer.

Here's what I want to know next: FJers are from all over the place. Would your home town/city be a good place for an elder Duggar (maybe with a Jenny-buddy) to land? Why or why not?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of the cities I've lived in, San Francisco would be one of the worst places a Duggar could land - the expenses, plus the culture would be way too much of a shock and there's not so much as a walmart for them to get a familiar foothold, let alone a fundie-lite church that would help them acclimate.

Okay, so having established by popular vote, the most deserving Duggar would-be-escapees are Jana, Josiah, Jinger, JoyAnna and Jennifer.

Here's what I want to know next: FJers are from all over the place. Would your home town/city be a good place for an elder Duggar (maybe with a Jenny-buddy) to land? Why or why not?

I live in a town with a state university. This could be a good place, esp if college education is going to be involved.

i live in the twin cities, and while it gets pretty cold, there seem to be quite a few resources around here to help people out. it's still the midwest, it's pretty laid back. there is a good bit of diversity with quite a bit of sudanese and other such african immigrants over here, plus just a wide variety of people in general, being a major metropolitan area. they don't have to be IN the cities, though. i don't live in the cities, i live in a town outside it, like a lot of people do. there are some towns that are closer and some that are further away and more country-like, so it just depends on what kind of area you want to be in.

also quite a lot of colleges and schools around here, so there are lots of options there as well. public transportation is pretty rampant and still expanding with the new rail lines. but despite the big city kind of stuff, there are still small town, midwestern charms that you'll find here and there.

Mid Atlantic, lots of different churches, AND WalMarts, around, plenty of colleges, junior colleges, and universities, and student housing, PLUS a multicultural area with students and professionals (of both sexes) all around. Easy transportation on buses and subways.. but still some "neighborhood enclaves" where people all know and support each other... Some farming and horse country.. something for ALL the Duggar kids!

Well I live in the middle of nowhere, Australia. I would welcome any/all of them with open arms. Jinge probably won't like it, we've only got 1 (pretty crappy department store), but for the rest of the girls there are plenty of rich miners here. There's no real further education opportunities, and it's hot like all the time (40C+ in summer).

On the plus side, no one would find them here :D

I live in Las Vegas, and while I would baldy welcome them into my home, I'm not sure sin city is a good fit for a duggar. That would make one hell of a reality show though lol

I think it would be best if they stayed in the Midwest or went somewhere that had a similar style of living - Walmarts, mega Churches, etc. They could flee to NYC or another big city, but the culture shock might be too much for them to handle on top of the fact that they just left their entire family behind.

Realistically... somewhere in the Bible belt so they could find a church community to help them get on their feet. Given they're in pretty much isolated in Arkansas, I think somewhere in the suburbs near a bigger city in the South would be ideal. Big enough to have resources but not NYC overwhelming. At least until they get their bearings and a plan in place on what to do with their lives... then they can run wild.

I offer some space in the Nashville area to any wayward Duggars if needed. Spending time with Amy is optional.

I live in Munich (Germany) and realistically I think the cultural shock would be too much for them no matter where in Europe they would live (foreign languages and nudity everywhere, especially in Munich). So definitely not Europe. But I think somewhere out of the Bible belt would be great, big city, but not too big and not too crazy? Like Portland, Oregon, or something?

Portland, Oregon, or something?

There may be a part of Oregon that would suit them, but Portland definitely isn't it. At least a decade ago, it was known for having the highest number of strip clubs per capita, and its reputation for weirdos and hipsters seems to just keep on growing. (My ex husband, who lives the fedora-wearing, boozy, tortured artist who thinks he's the next Bukowski stereotype like a second skin, ran off there to live in a van because no place else could truly nourish his artistic bent. I can't tell you how much I wish I were kidding or exaggerating.)

I think someplace in the midwest or south that rides the line between rural and suburban would be ideal for them, at least initially. Even if they decide to flee, it would likely be better to slowly ease them into life outside the Duggar compound.

Yeah... no, I wouldn't send them to Portland. I guess you've never been. It's a nice place but not for Duggars.

I always thought where I live would suit them well. I live in Kentucky, in a moderate sized town, home to a university, plus a mainstream cousin of theirs (Michelle's side) lives here. Climate is comparable to Arkansas, several large cities within reasonable driving distance for Jinger, and Walmarts galore.

Mid Atlantic, lots of different churches, AND WalMarts, around, plenty of colleges, junior colleges, and universities, and student housing, PLUS a multicultural area with students and professionals (of both sexes) all around. Easy transportation on buses and subways.. but still some "neighborhood enclaves" where people all know and support each other... Some farming and horse country.. something for ALL the Duggar kids!

Sounds like where I am, and I'd agree. I even know where they can find less terrifying roommates.

If we're in the same area: Have you been to the State Fair yet?

Yeah... no, I wouldn't send them to Portland. I guess you've never been. It's a nice place but not for Duggars.

I always thought where I live would suit them well. I live in Kentucky, in a moderate sized town, home to a university, plus a mainstream cousin of theirs (Michelle's side) lives here. Climate is comparable to Arkansas, several large cities within reasonable driving distance for Jinger, and Walmarts galore.

Oh no, not Portland! My first thought when I read Portland was "Keep Portland weird." So, not for a Duggar. Beautiful city, though. Also might have too many days of rainy/overcast weather-it can take a while to get used to that.

What about Ohio? Doesn't Michelle's family live there? I think having the help of a relative would be good. They would love the kids and be a safe place to adjust to the outside world.

Never going to happen though. I will be shocked if any of them ever do flee. I hope some of the girls can find a guy who is a Christian, but NOT into Gothard. Or maybe he is ATI when they marry and leave soon after that. Like the Keller sister and her husband-the McDonalds? MacDonalds?

Oh no, not Portland! My first thought when I read Portland was "Keep Portland weird." So, not for a Duggar. Beautiful city, though. Also might have too many days of rainy/overcast weather-it can take a while to get used to that.

What about Ohio? Doesn't Michelle's family live there? I think having the help of a relative would be good. They would love the kids and be a safe place to adjust to the outside world.

Never going to happen though. I will be shocked if any of them ever do flee. I hope some of the girls can find a guy who is a Christian, but NOT into Gothard. Or maybe he is ATI when they marry and leave soon after that. Like the Keller sister and her husband-the McDonalds? MacDonalds?

NO NOT OHIO. or at least, not where i was in ohio. very limited opportunities there. the whole area of eastern ohio and western pa is like a sandpit...easy to get stuck and helluva lot of trouble to get out of.

Suburban Dallas, Texas. Wal-Marts, Goodwill Stores and all of the places that the Duggars would frequent are abundant. They'll be among those with similar politics. They can be as fundie as they want to be - churches are everywhere!! Plus they can stay on their side of town and stay far away from those scary gays.

Well, I live in a town of 603. In fact, there are only 4100 people in my entire zip code. So, I would say NOT HERE! I think a place with a diverse faith community, access to libraries, support groups, education and work.

browncoatslytherin - where do you live in ohio? i'm in nw pennsylvania in a small town called jamestown. It's in crawford/mercer county right on the ohio border. we are an hour from cleveland/pittsburgh/erie.

browncoatslytherin - where do you live in ohio? i'm in nw pennsylvania in a small town called jamestown. It's in crawford/mercer county right on the ohio border. we are an hour from cleveland/pittsburgh/erie.

i'm in the twin cities right now, but i used to live in cuyahoga falls, right above akron. when i was in western pa, i was in evans city, zelienople, ellwood city, and fombell. i haven't heard of jamestown, but i've found that's the case for a lot of the area...if you aren't from there specifically, you might have never heard of tiny towns or unincorporated areas like fombell or koppel.

I live in the Pacific Northwest, just moved from Seattle to Portland. Definitely don't think that this would be the place for the Duggars. Both places are fairly liberal and I don't know if the Duggars would be comfortable about it. Also, Portland's motto is "Keep Portland Weird" as mentioned above. And as someone who lived in Seattle for 10 years, it was a lot more common for me to find a fellow atheist or agnostic that a church going peer. I thought maybe some place like Spokane or somewhere in Eastern Oregon, but I just think it is too far away from everything they know.

Anyone from Indiana think that they would like it there?

Definitely Minneapolis- at least for Siah! He could hook up with the "host home" program around here. It's for kids kicked out of homes for- well, yeah, the reason why I think Siah needs to go. If you're 18-21 and can't afford to live on your own, you apply and you can stay with a family for even a few years. The idea is for you to have a home, and while not parents on the same level as one would as a minor, a family to be a part of and to guide you. You have to save some money, if you work, and often can choose if you'd rather live in the city or suburbs.

There's also a huge university, good public transport, and low unemployment here.

Definitely Minneapolis- at least for Siah! He could hook up with the "host home" program around here. It's for kids kicked out of homes for- well, yeah, the reason why I think Siah needs to go. If you're 18-21 and can't afford to live on your own, you apply and you can stay with a family for even a few years. The idea is for you to have a home, and while not parents on the same level as one would as a minor, a family to be a part of and to guide you. You have to save some money, if you work, and often can choose if you'd rather live in the city or suburbs.

There's also a huge university, good public transport, and low unemployment here.

that's two votes for the twin cities area! do i have a third?

I think Nashville would be a great place for a few Duggars to flee to. It's a nice sized fun city that also has a lot of faith based services. Or maybe they could go work at Dollywood....

My town NO, hell I don't want to live here. My general area yes. Kansas isn't too far removed from Arkansas that there would be a cultural shock. They can be as liberal or as conservative as they want to be. We have a couple of mega churches but lots of smaller churches with lots of activities. Heck, my public school even serves TTC once every 6 weeks or so.

We live 30 miles east of Seattle in a small town. The small town is surprisingly conservative, which is why we are planning on a move in the next couple of years.

The weather can be tough, but the Seattle area is full of opportunities. It's also at least a four-hour plane ride away from JIm Boob and MEchelle, which is always a plus...

Archived