IGNORED

To where should they flee?

jingerdoe

Sounds like where I am, and I'd agree. I even know where they can find less terrifying roommates.

If we're in the same area: Have you been to the State Fair yet?

The Merry-land State Fair is always held over weekend before until Labor day.. so it's over. That's the one we attend.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Merry-land State Fair is always held over weekend before until Labor day.. so it's over. That's the one we attend.

Ah, we're on opposite sides of Virginia. Our State Fair is happening now. Basically it's created more traffic at inconvenient times. :P

I'm in Maryland too. I think it could be a very good location depending on how Josh and Anna would react. If they were even secretly supportive then this would be great because they would be close enough to still have a relationship with them. Is Anna still in touch with her siblings who have fled? Plus there are so many options for college and depending on the area they can find liberal and conservative areas. Downsides are that the cost of living is fairly high especially the closer you are to DC. And the Josh and Anna being close could be a positive or a negative depending on how they react to a Duggar sibling fleeing.

I live in Las Vegas, and while I would baldy welcome them into my home, I'm not sure sin city is a good fit for a duggar. That would make one hell of a reality show though lol

Vegas would be awesome for the "Breaking Duggar" series!!

I will gladly cast the third vote for the MSP area. Probably not downtown, although Josiah might be quasi-hipster enough to appreciate it. And everyone should get to make the pilgrimage to 1st Ave at least once in a lifetime. Not sure if a suburb or a smaller town would be a better fit. I like the idea of Woodbury for the Walking Dead play on it, and really, it is, IMHO, the best suburb. Just whatever you do, keep them on your side of the river -- we have more than our fair share of nutjobs in Wisconsin at the moment!

We live 30 miles east of Seattle in a small town. The small town is surprisingly conservative, which is why we are planning on a move in the next couple of years.

The weather can be tough, but the Seattle area is full of opportunities. It's also at least a four-hour plane ride away from JIm Boob and MEchelle, which is always a plus...

I live north of Seattle (by the Canadian border) and it's a great area (medium size town) but definitely liberal. There are churches, but I feel like they'd be more comfy in the south or midwest, UNLESS they want to get far far away, then, bring it on!

My hometown is Montreal, Canada and while it's much more socially liberal than they are used to, I could see Jinger and Josiah liking Montreal. Montreal is the big city Jinger would love and it is a beautiful city to photograph and since we have 4 distinct seasons, the look and colours of the city change a lot. Josiah would like the 'artsy' scene here and he'd be able to find guys who aren't super 'macho manly men' to be friends with. The biggest challenge would be not knowing French and employment. The lost girls would do well here. We have good schools, they're still young enough to pick up French and McGill university is in Montreal which is the best in Canada.

Joy and Jana.....I'm sure they'd like it too, I just really see Jinger and Siah in particular loving Montreal.

It might be hard to find a Fundie Lite church here though. Canadians are far less religious than Americans as a general rule...

Though ten points to whoever said Montreal - I was not even thinking in that direction but yes. What is poutine, after all, but Quebecois TTC?

Well I live in the middle of nowhere, Australia. I would welcome any/all of them with open arms. Jinge probably won't like it, we've only got 1 (pretty crappy department store), but for the rest of the girls there are plenty of rich miners here. There's no real further education opportunities, and it's hot like all the time (40C+ in summer).

On the plus side, no one would find them here :D

I always wanted to go to Australia, but isn't it expensive to live there

Maybe Illinois or NY. NY has cheap housing depending upon where you live. Both places have a good mixture of different people and cultures. The schools are amazing and there are do many opportunities and things to do. Everything is a train, bus, or care ride away.

Though ten points to whoever said Montreal - I was not even thinking in that direction but yes. What is poutine, after all, but Quebecois TTC?

The same fatty 'bad for you' content.....but SO MUCH BETTER.

I always wanted to go to Australia, but isn't it expensive to live there

Hi Tooth Fairy! It is very expensive where I live! (Which is Melbourne) However, we are so spoilt for choice here. Also, we have a lot of foreign investors buying properties here (nothing wrong with that) but it has made the value of money less so houses are fewer and more expensive to buy.

You should come and visit! It's awesome!

I don't know how the Duggars would go living in an Urban setting, but my housemates and I would put them up for free if they were here!

Oh no, not Portland! My first thought when I read Portland was "Keep Portland weird." So, not for a Duggar. Beautiful city, though. Also might have too many days of rainy/overcast weather-it can take a while to get used to that.

What about Ohio? Doesn't Michelle's family live there? I think having the help of a relative would be good. They would love the kids and be a safe place to adjust to the outside world.

Never going to happen though. I will be shocked if any of them ever do flee. I hope some of the girls can find a guy who is a Christian, but NOT into Gothard. Or maybe he is ATI when they marry and leave soon after that. Like the Keller sister and her husband-the McDonalds? MacDonalds?

I didn't know I was picking one of the weirdest plasces in the US when I wrote Portland, lol. I've never been to the West Coast, just Miama, Florida. :lol:

I live in Aberdeen, Scotland, which is quite rainy compared to the US South. But Jana, Joy, Josiah are very welcome here. I'm a a university student, and I'd love to show them the library. Plenty of amazing books that I would want them to read.

I vote for Kansas City, MO. It's smack dab in the middle of the country and people can be as liberal or as conservative as they want. I live close to a four-year university and a good community college that has a decent number of choices in regards to areas of study. The cost of living here is cheap with lots of studio apartments available. There's public transportation within the city that I've never had a problem with and people are pretty nice.

I vote for Kansas City, MO. It's smack dab in the middle of the country and people can be as liberal or as conservative as they want. I live close to a four-year university and a good community college that has a decent number of choices in regards to areas of study. The cost of living here is cheap with lots of studio apartments available. There's public transportation within the city that I've never had a problem with and people are pretty nice.

Yep KCMO would be perfect for them. If they come I want to take Jinger to the west bottoms.

I don't know how the older kids would fare, but the youngest ones are certainly welcome to come live in Shanghai with me, since I feel like they're young enough to pick up some Chinese (also, plenty of people live in Shanghai with zero Chinese ability and manage). People aren't really liberal or conservative in the traditional sense (mostly they don't care much what other people do), and while you'll be hard-pressed to find a church that caters specifically to their religious persuasion, you'd be surprised how many churches the government allows. Also, cost of living is very low here (though expensive compared to the rest of China, except for maybe Beijing), the pollution isn't as bad as Beijing (lots of blue-sky days), there are lots of interesting things to do, the food's great, and more historic attractions like Hangzhou (known for its beautiful temples and relaxing atmosphere) are just a train ride away. Also, there are lots of international university programs and plenty of jobs for English speakers. And the Duggars being blonde and blue-eyed will be a HUGE asset (oh that sweet, sweet white privilege).

Though actually, now that I think about it, South Korea might be more their speed. TONS of Christians (including quite a few fundie-lites), great art scene for Jinger, not super-duper macho male culture for Josiah, plenty of international schools for the younger kids, very modern and clean, great natural beauty, and a cost of living that's low compared to the States (or so I've heard). They may have to get used to spicy food, though.

I'm in Maryland too. I think it could be a very good location depending on how Josh and Anna would react. If they were even secretly supportive then this would be great because they would be close enough to still have a relationship with them. Is Anna still in touch with her siblings who have fled? Plus there are so many options for college and depending on the area they can find liberal and conservative areas. Downsides are that the cost of living is fairly high especially the closer you are to DC. And the Josh and Anna being close could be a positive or a negative depending on how they react to a Duggar sibling fleeing.

I think Northern Virginia would be good. (didn't Josh and Anna move there?) Close to the city/colleges/modern people, but still more conservative than MD.

I vote for my hometown of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Multicultural, lots of post-secondary education choices, large public library system, there are plenty of Walmarts if they feel homesick, and I'm sure we could find them a fundie lite church. As long as they are not steered toward that odd church that claims to heal curses and bad magic. That's just too weird (and the commercials... Yikes!). And who doesn't want to stand on the glass observation deck of the CN Tower and jump up and down to test the strength of the glass? :cracking-up:

The Orlando area would be a good place for some of them, because they could get a job at Disneyworld working with the guests and meet all kinds of people. And so so many cast members are gay and these would be their coworkers and maybe even friends. A safe and positive step into larger society.

Yep KCMO would be perfect for them. If they come I want to take Jinger to the west bottoms.

Great idea! And I'll take her YJ's for coffee. And Mildred's for coffee. And the Filling Station for coffee. And The Roasterie for coffee (and the tour). And Broadway Cafe for coffee. :scared-shocked: (I couldn't find a coffee-related emoticon so I thought this one could indicate being well and truly buzzed.)

The more I think about it the more I think KC could be a good transitional place weather-wise and culture-wise. If they'd like it here then, great! But if they want to go more consistently liberal then they could have their KC experience to build upon.

I live in Las Vegas, and while I would baldy welcome them into my home, I'm not sure sin city is a good fit for a duggar. That would make one hell of a reality show though lol

I just moved to LV...and while the strip is an interesting scene...I've discovered that the west side of town is just like any other place. My house is in way SW Vegas...so I rarely venture to the east side and the strip.

Great idea! And I'll take her YJ's for coffee. And Mildred's for coffee. And the Filling Station for coffee. And The Roasterie for coffee (and the tour). And Broadway Cafe for coffee. :scared-shocked: (I couldn't find a coffee-related emoticon so I thought this one could indicate being well and truly buzzed.)

The more I think about it the more I think KC could be a good transitional place weather-wise and culture-wise. If they'd like it here then, great! But if they want to go more consistently liberal then they could have their KC experience to build upon.

Didn't PT's coffee from Topeka open one up there too? Might as well add a little more caffeine to it. I bet Jinger would love P&L too.

Archived