IGNORED

To where should they flee?

jingerdoe

Really. all they need is a healthy church community, WalMart, and flip-flop weather. And some distance between them and Mommy and Daddy.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say Central KY would be a good spot for one to land. Between all the colleges in the area, there's bound to be one that's academically appropriate and culturally comfortable for any given Duggar. (UK, community colleges, Asbury, Georgetown, Transy, Midway, Berea...)

There are plenty of church-going, WalMart shoppers among their same-age peers in the area. Lexington is urban enough to be interesting without being overwhelming. When I lived there, I felt like there were a lot of young people who had left the mountains after sheltered upbringings and less academically rigorous high school educations who were adjusting well. A Duggar kid's background wouldn't be too totally strange there.

Plus it's not too far from Michelle's family in the Cincinnati area, if they should be supportive/needed.

There may be a part of Oregon that would suit them, but Portland definitely isn't it. At least a decade ago, it was known for having the highest number of strip clubs per capita, and its reputation for weirdos and hipsters seems to just keep on growing. (My ex husband, who lives the fedora-wearing, boozy, tortured artist who thinks he's the next Bukowski stereotype like a second skin, ran off there to live in a van because no place else could truly nourish his artistic bent. I can't tell you how much I wish I were kidding or exaggerating.)

I think someplace in the midwest or south that rides the line between rural and suburban would be ideal for them, at least initially. Even if they decide to flee, it would likely be better to slowly ease them into life outside the Duggar compound.

I live on the other side of Oregon. We have a state university, lots of churches and a big Walmart. If we drive about 3 hours we're in Boise. These kids are welcome. Plus...I have a great doll collection that my granddaughters don't give a fig about. Jenny and I can play and sew doll clothes.

The glorious richness of poutine should never be compared to the bland mess of TTC. :hand:

Agreed. A properly made poutine is a religous experience in itself! :lol:

They would be happy anywhere in the Central time zone. North Texas, Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Colorado.

Wally worlds a plenty, and some pretty conservative churches. But not too many large cities. Some pretty laid back locations, especially Colorado. hehe There are some really cute towns in New Mexico as well.

Great idea! And I'll take her YJ's for coffee. And Mildred's for coffee. And the Filling Station for coffee. And The Roasterie for coffee (and the tour). And Broadway Cafe for coffee. :scared-shocked: (I couldn't find a coffee-related emoticon so I thought this one could indicate being well and truly buzzed.)

The more I think about it the more I think KC could be a good transitional place weather-wise and culture-wise. If they'd like it here then, great! But if they want to go more consistently liberal then they could have their KC experience to build upon.

Ooooh - another vote for KCMO from me! I only lived there for little over a year, but I can definitely see how it could be a great fit for them. It's really a lot more diverse and accommodating than I think most people who've never been there would realize. (I know I was pleasantly surprised.)

Another good thing about KCMO is that it has a FANTASTIC LGBT center. (The Like Me Lighthouse, where I volunteered when I lived there.) I don't want to speculate on anyone's orientations, but with that many kids the statistics would suggest at least one isn't 100% heterosexual. If they managed to break free, having a welcoming environment with kind people could be the difference between successfully building a happy life outside the compound, and not.

Archived