IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encountersâ„¢ Part 2

happy atheist

I saw a pair of Mormon missionaries walking through the local Kroger parking lot. They wore the traditional uniform, black slacks, white dress shirt, black tie, and black watch. Yeah, it wasn't a very interesting encounter. I'll try to do better. ;)

You would have had extra points if they had been singing! ;)

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My best friend in elementary school was from a progressive Mennonite family. There were 10 children, they often wore skirts but as we aged they were allowed to dress in jeans and less "modest" clothing. We lost touch after high school- I knew she got married at 18 and they moved to the new family homestead (for as many brothers and sisters as desired to live there) which is several states away from where we grew up.

I found her online through a mutual friend recently. I discovered that it appears the family has swung back toward the conservative, traditional end of things. Their family reunion showed the vast majority of them (and I counted over 40 grandchildren so far) wearing skirts, prairie dresses or jumpers, no shorts for most of the males, and long hair covered with scarves for many of the women and girls. I was somewhat shocked because I know in our high school years, they had all moved fairly far from that lifestyle. It looks like moving to the homestead has solidified their fundiedom.

No snarking from me, as she was always a wonderful person and good friend. I was just surprised and figured this might be a good place to share the story, as most people don't care. I hope she is happy living that way, and that her children are given the choices she had in her youth.

Until 1978, LDS/Mormon black men were not allowed to be ordained to priesthood. All other ethnicities were allowed to hold a priesthood at age 18.

And I belieeeeeeve...that in 1978 God changed his mind about black people! (Sorry, couldn't resist)

So my BIL read out Psalm 127 at our house warming ceremony.. I nearly bit my hand to stop myself from laughing out loud when the whole quiverfull part was read out. TBh though, he read it for the whole how without G-d it is futile to build a house, guard a city etc., but to hear those verses when I read about quiverfull families over here was a funny coincidence for me.. :lol:

Edited to add: As mentioned before on this forum, my husband is Christian, I am an atheist with Hindu parents. This was the first time i encountered this Psalm in real life.

We live near a huge Amish community. I've had several encounters, even attending yard sales and at one point, getting a kitten from a farm. The barn where the cat lived was extremely clean and the children had socialized the kitten. I see them working on "English" houses, talking on cell phones (which surprised me), riding their buggies very late at night (the Amish in this area are the party animals of the group). I've sat behind them at intersections and seen the horses rear in impatience when the light didn't change quickly. One Amish man let my husband use the community phone when my husband's car broke down. Generally, positive encounters.

You would have had extra points if they had been singing! ;)

When I went to see Book of Mormon there were a couple of missionaries around the theater handing out pamphlets. It was kind of funny to see and of course in the program they have the "you've seen the musical now learn about Mormonism!" ads.

When I went to see Book of Mormon there were a couple of missionaries around the theater handing out pamphlets. It was kind of funny to see and of course in the program they have the "you've seen the musical now learn about Mormonism!" ads.

Thanks for the reminder to check out when The Book of Mormon will be at the Peace Center. It's not until mid-November. Whew! I hoped I'd not missed it.

Say what you want about Mormons, at least they hand out pamphlets instead of threatening jihad (to murder people) when they get made fun of. I guess that's the difference between "normal" religious fundamentalists (Mormons) and barbarians (who threaten to blow people up).

I have only seen fundie families in airports. They aren't neither organized, nor well-mannered. I've only encountered loud, entitled, holier-than-thou, condescending, demanding, dissatisfied, and by golly, they take up so much space! So. Much. Space! They don't know how to line up so they just kinda clog the friggin way before you. So that you and your SO or 2.7 children won't be able to sneak through.

And it's like, there's a formula for these mega-families. There's always a baby, a toddler clinging onto one of the parents, a 5 or 6 year old in a stroller, sleeping, 2 kids atop of the humongous luggages, the one whimpering and being dragged along, one attention whore that keeps jumping, yelling, making random noises (then falls on his or her face and starts whining), and there's the good kid, stuck up, walking by the parent's side showing how good a kid she or he is comparing to the rest.

This last time, we kept yelling 'SCUSEME!!! over and over again but they wouldn't move aside so that we can catch our plane. I might or might have... No, I own it up. I told the father, since he was the patriarch or what, that they were a zoo, a circus, and that this should be outbanned. He didn't even get angry with me, he was just tired, and kept repeating "I know". :shock: But they never order their kids to behave, I guess they just want to extend their suffering onto others. The whole world outside.

I will never like these people and nothing will change my mind that they are attention seekers.

I deal with (Jewish) fundies on a regular basis but this student I got today was notable because she was the second oldest of 14!! kids. Their parents have kids age 21-1 so presumably they're not aiming to stop anytime soon. The two oldest boys go to a Torah school and the two oldest girls go to university. She's a sweet girl and loves going to secular school but everything - all forms, her registration, her financial aid information, even the emails from the school - have to go through her dad. She got a university email here, as all students do, but told me that she had it redirected to her father's personal email and that I should expect all correspondence to be with him. :roll:

I'm on campus, and some guy just tried to sell me a copy of the Baghavad Gita. :lol: I've run into them before, and they try and get at least $10-15 for a paperback book. They're so nice, and then they ask for "donations," and look so sad until you give them some. I already have a copy (I fell for it the first time), so I made my excuses and fled.

I'm on campus, and some guy just tried to sell me a copy of the Baghavad Gita. :lol: I've run into them before, and they try and get at least $10-15 for a paperback book. They're so nice, and then they ask for "donations," and look so sad until you give them some. I already have a copy (I fell for it the first time), so I made my excuses and fled.

I ran into that guy in Edinburgh! Ok, it probably wasn't the same guy, but I ran into some Hare Krishnas on the way to Edinburgh Castle. I did end up buying a book from them, but I could tell that my husband was not pleased so I left the book at an inn in Yorkshire. I wish I'd kept it now.

Thanks for the reminder to check out when The Book of Mormon will be at the Peace Center. It's not until mid-November. Whew! I hoped I'd not missed it.

You MUST see it if you have the opportunity. It's amazing.

One of my aunts and her husband are fundies (Catholic) and have 14 kids. Like the J'Slaves, I feel sorry for the 3 oldest of my cousins because they're all girls and got stuck with a lot of the child raising duties. They got to go to a Catholic school so got a bit of a break during the day. 2 of them have grown up to be completely Anti Catholic atheists which I find hilarious, the other believes in god, but has gone 'Catholic Lite'. My aunt is horrified. I find it pretty funny.

You MUST see it if you have the opportunity. It's amazing.

Better hurry & get your tickets. One of my coworkers just got tickets & said it's close to being sold out. His seats are in the "nosebleed section." as he calls it. I planned to go, but can't afford it. Hopefully I can catch Wicked in January instead!

We saw a pair of Mormon missionaries at DragonCon. They were walking down the street. Not sure if they were real missionaries or cosplayers, but they had bikes, name tags & looked a little shell shocked by the crowd on the street.

It was Monday, which was Labor Day. Do missionaries get Labor Day off?

(I didn't realize cosplaying Mormon missionaries was a thing, but evidently it's a pretty popular costume.)

I ran into that guy in Edinburgh! Ok, it probably wasn't the same guy, but I ran into some Hare Krishnas on the way to Edinburgh Castle. I did end up buying a book from them, but I could tell that my husband was not pleased so I left the book at an inn in Yorkshire. I wish I'd kept it now.

They like to hang out near the student center, near a tunnel (under the railroad tracks that bisect campus) so you can't REALLY avoid them. You can ignore them, and they always send the one guy who's super friendly and looks so sad when nobody talks to him.

I've been able to resist.

There's a woman in a long black skirt, head scarf, and a "Trust Jesus" hoodie waving a ten commandments sign and screaming something downtown today.

There's a woman in a long black skirt, head scarf, and a "Trust Jesus" hoodie waving a ten commandments sign and screaming something downtown today.

The content of your post oddly matches your avatar!!! :lol:

We saw a pair of Mormon missionaries at DragonCon. They were walking down the street. Not sure if they were real missionaries or cosplayers, but they had bikes, name tags & looked a little shell shocked by the crowd on the street.

It was Monday, which was Labor Day. Do missionaries get Labor Day off?

(I didn't realize cosplaying Mormon missionaries was a thing, but evidently it's a pretty popular costume.)

They work those missionaries pretty hard. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't get Labor Day off. They only get to call home on Christmas and Mother's Day.

When I was watching TV with the kids, there was an ad for these construction related toys for toddlers (shame I have already bought the two year old's birthday presents!), and one of the toys was called Doug. And he came with tools. I found that hilarious :D

I have only seen fundie families in airports. They aren't neither organized, nor well-mannered. I've only encountered loud, entitled, holier-than-thou, condescending, demanding, dissatisfied, and by golly, they take up so much space! So. Much. Space! They don't know how to line up so they just kinda clog the friggin way before you. So that you and your SO or 2.7 children won't be able to sneak through.

And it's like, there's a formula for these mega-families. There's always a baby, a toddler clinging onto one of the parents, a 5 or 6 year old in a stroller, sleeping, 2 kids atop of the humongous luggages, the one whimpering and being dragged along, one attention whore that keeps jumping, yelling, making random noises (then falls on his or her face and starts whining), and there's the good kid, stuck up, walking by the parent's side showing how good a kid she or he is comparing to the rest.

This last time, we kept yelling 'SCUSEME!!! over and over again but they wouldn't move aside so that we can catch our plane. I might or might have... No, I own it up. I told the father, since he was the patriarch or what, that they were a zoo, a circus, and that this should be outbanned. He didn't even get angry with me, he was just tired, and kept repeating "I know". :shock: But they never order their kids to behave, I guess they just want to extend their suffering onto others. The whole world outside.

I will never like these people and nothing will change my mind that they are attention seekers.

Your story reminded me of a fundie related airport story that happened to me a few years ago. In 2011, I was going through the security line to board the first leg of a transatlantic flight. I was standing in the line taking off my shoes and whatnot when the fire alarm went off, which caused the security line to be frozen while things got sorted out. While I was waiting, I had time to observe a HUGE family of fundies, the women dressed in long skirts with the long hair, complete with signs and balloons and even a professional photographer. So I surmised that something big was about to happen. Turns out this family was awaiting the arrival of (what looked to be) about three year old twins that they had adopted from, I would guess, a country in Latin America. So these two little ones, who were barely old enough to comprehend what was going on, were introduced to all eleventy of their new relations, who were total strangers to them, while the fire alarm sounded, people cheered and said things in a language with which they were unfamiliar, and a photographer using a flash clicked away. It was enough to make me anxious, and those children were understandably hysterical. It was just an incredibly important and intimate moment to be happening in such a public and chaotic space. Hopefully they got better at taking those kiddos into consideration, but I'm not holding my breath.

In March Mr. Shrdlu and I were flying from Seattle to Denver. I noticed a gaggle of high-school age girls with a couple of college-age chaperones on the plane. They were all wearing "modern modest" long denim skirts and layered shirts, so they caught my interest.

The one sitting near me was watching an episode of Teen Wolf on her iPad, so I don't think they were the Duggar-variety fundies. They also didn't pray ostentatiously over their honey roasted peanuts or glare at people who ordered beers.

When they got off they were met at the airport by a second gaggle of be-skirted teenage girls. It must have been some kind of Journey to the Heart thing, only hopefully more fun and less soul-killing.

My older son works in a convenience store. Yesterday an elderly woman came in & said she was selling things to raise money for her church - matted, foil-printed pictures of things like wolves, Native Americans, etc. Son thought she was from one of the local churches - looked like a run-of-the-mill Southern Baptist sweet old lady. There was one of a dragon that Son liked & bought. The lady gave him a paper with information about the church & links to its website.

It was the Unification Church, lol! The links were to the teachings of Rev. Sun Myung Moon. Very unusual in rural Upstte SC!

One Step Away from Fundies Encounter: Yesterday, my sister and I were shopping at her local Salvation Army thrift store, and I paused to look at the sewing patterns. Lemme tell ya, folks! There are frumper patterns galore, still available, if you want the "early Duggar" look!

• happy atheist locked and unpinned this topic

Archived