IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encountersâ„¢ Part 2

happy atheist

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first score at IKEA this afternoon! Mom had a "traditional build" (see end of post) and was wearing a mid length (but closer to ankle than knee) denim skirt. Of the 5 kids, both daughters were wearing cute, but longish, skirts, but it was so hard to count moving targets. Fortunately we were all moving through the sofa section, so I sat down, bounced a little on the cushions, and was well positioned to get an unobtrusive view of the family (mom, dad and kids).

I kept thinking, Mom does not look pregnant, but it looks like a baby is missing in the sequence. Then I realized that really there were actually 7 kids, and the oldest boy was wearing the baby in a front baby carrier. The kids were sweet (exploring everything, but in a calm and appropriate way), and one little guy showed me the IKEA map he was using to track where they were.

For those who have never been to IKEA, knowing where you are is key to keep from screaming uncontrollably about the time you hit the Market Place section. Really, arctic explorers had an easier time finding the north pole, than a normal customer has actually finding the exit at IKEA. It is a maze, literally. And there are little display houses and rooms that you could move into, they are that cozy and inviting, so you don't know how long people have been in there.

But, I digress.

For those who read Alexander McCall Smith, the main character in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, Precious Ramotswe, is described as having a traditional build.

My first score at IKEA this afternoon! Mom had a "traditional build" (see end of post) and was wearing a mid length (but closer to ankle than knee) denim skirt. Of the 5 kids, both daughters were wearing cute, but longish, skirts, but it was so hard to count moving targets. Fortunately we were all moving through the sofa section, so I sat down, bounced a little on the cushions, and was well positioned to get an unobtrusive view of the family (mom, dad and kids).

I kept thinking, Mom does not look pregnant, but it looks like a baby is missing in the sequence. Then I realized that really there were actually 7 kids, and the oldest boy was wearing the baby in a front baby carrier. The kids were sweet (exploring everything, but in a calm and appropriate way), and one little guy showed me the IKEA map he was using to track where they were.

For those who have never been to IKEA, knowing where you are is key to keep from screaming uncontrollably about the time you hit the Market Place section. Really, arctic explorers had an easier time finding the north pole, than a normal customer has actually finding the exit at IKEA. It is a maze, literally. And there are little display houses and rooms that you could move into, they are that cozy and inviting, so you don't know how long people have been in there.

But, I digress.

For those who read Alexander McCall Smith, the main character in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, Precious Ramotswe, is described as having a traditional build.

OT: And for those who haven't read Alexander McCall Smith, do! Precious Ramotswe is awesomely resourceful and a fine antidote to fundie gender roles.

There's a preacher who shouts on the most traveled area of my campus. Almost daily. (I worked on campus for two years before my grad school admittance.) And he preaches basically the same five or six sermons, in order, over and over. He's there most of each day, too. I've only had one encounter with him one-on-one, when he scolded me for thanking him for holding a door open -- because I should "give all thanks to God". We've also had a guy who calls himself Brother Ross (google him!) who was arrested at another university in the state for inciting a riot. Brother Ross is a bit more confrontational and likes to draw a crowd (the other guy will talk to individuals, but doesn't engage in loud arguments or debates).

The college I attended for my bachelor's hosts, every year, the Reformed Family Bible Conference (ever heard of Joe Morecraft? The RCPUS and their seminary are...interesting). I worked as a summer RA three years in a row and got to experience that adventure. Most of the women and girls were in pants (not jeans) when they arrived, but very few wore anything but long skirts and dresses through the week (except for the barn dance), the men were in charge (and older sons were a step below Dad), and there was an expectation that those of us working would follow suit. The most "fun" part was politely avoiding the wife-seekers. Yep, some of them looked to the jeans-wearing women who made sure their conference went well.

At least they stayed on schedule. I could get things done after their curfew and when they were in sermons (I always had a summer class or two, and thus always had homework to do at that time).

My fiancé is out visiting my family and I right now for a little while before we get married in September. He's Indian and came here for school, and hasn't seen much of America besides Idaho/Utah where we got to school and California where he has some family, so we've been exploring SE Michigan where I live. I took him to The Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village, a "living history" outdoor museum that has actors dressed up in period clothing who tell you about the different places you visit (they have two working farms, the Wright brothers' bicycle shop, Edison's workshop, working print/pottery/glass/weaving workshops, one room schoolhouses, etc). This was also his first time seeing Mennonites, because we have quite a lot of them in the lower peninsula of Michigan. I had to stop him from going up to a pair of them, thinking that they were the employees in historical garb, and asking them about the workings of the Firestone Farm. After I explained that they dressed that way for religious reasons he just kind of shrugged, moved on, and found and actual employee to ask.

I've only had one encounter with him one-on-one, when he scolded me for thanking him for holding a door open -- because I should "give all thanks to God".

This is the kind of shit I do not miss. I once remember being scolded because I told someone "good luck". We were not to believe in luck. Everything good that happened (or bad) was a willful act of God.

This is the kind of shit I do not miss. I once remember being scolded because I told someone "good luck". We were not to believe in luck. Everything good that happened (or bad) was a willful act of God.

One time on a bus the guy in front of me sneezed and I said "Bless you." He held up his hand and said really snarkily "I am already blessed, thanks!"

One time on a bus the guy in front of me sneezed and I said "Bless you." He held up his hand and said really snarkily "I am already blessed, thanks!"

I have heard that one, too. People like that make me stabby.

Kinda off the subject, but on the same subject as people being Jesus freaks.....At my Christian "school" growing up, we were not allowed to wear Oshkosh B'Gosh clothes. I am sure you intelligent folk can figure out why. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I had my first ever fundie encounter, or so I think. It's quite rare to have one here in the UK.

I work at a tourist attraction and saw a large family, maybe with 5 or 6 children. The girls and woman who could be their mother were dressed in similar-looking frumper dresses. The boys and father wore polo shirts and jeans.

I looked like a fundie yesterday. I just got a spiral perm, was wearing a long denim skirt, and pushing my daughter in a stroller. I caught a glimpse of myself in a window and laughed because I really did look fundie

In the small midwestern town we live in, we have (had) a catholic fundie family. Like 8 kids or so packed in to a 1970's split level home. Oldest daughter became a nun, which is cool I guess. They were all home schooled. Then out of nowhere the mom left the dad, joined the fire department as an EMT. The family no longer lives here, just the mom, who I see from time to time. She wears pants now. I always feel glad for her that she "got out".

The baptist church in town is IFB, so I see them frequently. I think it's more laid back than the Duggar style church. Funny, now that I've been reading this forum I'm realizing quite a few folks I know are fundies. Or at least fundie-lite.

This past Wednesday, I was in Chestertown, MD and I saw this woman come out the store with two young children. She was dressed in a halter top and coochie cutter shorts. She had a tattoo on her arm from a distance it was some words and something that wrapped around the arm. She came close enough so I got a good look at the tattoo. She had little fetus sized footprints tattooed all around her arm from shoulder to wrist and the words were: "Every Twenty Second A Baby Is Killed By Abortion. God Weeps." :cray-cray:

Yay a fellow Michigander. Michigan is filled with fundies there's a huge Amish community here. My roomate found this out when she with a friend to see the friends fiancé family. They went to a really boring town and the name of the town escapes me. Everyone drove horses and buggies. The more modern members of the were very conservative. They thought hunger games were evil. Shuffle board was very important there.

Yay a fellow Michigander. Michigan is filled with fundies there's a huge Amish community here. My roomate found this out when she with a friend to see the friends fiancé family. They went to a really boring town and the name of the town escapes me. Everyone drove horses and buggies. The more modern members of the were very conservative. They thought hunger games were evil. Shuffle board was very important there.

Nottawa? That town has the only public K-8 school in Michigan. It has a big Amish and Mennonite population and the "englisher" kids go to the neighboring schools for 9-12 grades. Amish/Mennonite towns- always go to the bakery- yummmmmmmmmm

Another sighting today. I took my daughter and a friends daughter to the zoo. The entire time we were right with this family. Mom, dad, and about 11 kids. I'm not sure. It's hard to count so many moving heads. They all had on the longer shorts, except the mom, who wore a skirt. One kid had a creation museum shirt on. And the whole time whoever poor Joshua is, was being yelled at. Every five minutes. For running, not staying with the group, not paying attention to dad, whatever. I felt so bad for the poor kid.

Kinda off the subject, but on the same subject as people being Jesus freaks.....At my Christian "school" growing up, we were not allowed to wear Oshkosh B'Gosh clothes. I am sure you intelligent folk can figure out why. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I had an aunt growing up who insisted!!!! that we do not say 'Oh my gosh', it had to be 'Oh my goodness' . :cray-cray: Thankfully they lived a few states away so we rarely interacted with them.

Yayyyy I had my very first FUNDIE ENCOUNTER in GERMANY today! They were all headcovering on the womens' heads and denim skirts, as well as bunchloads of kids in tow, all of them blond and blue eyed (what a cliche!). :lol: :D :D :D

Minced oaths! Such fascinating stuff. There are some people who would :naughty: you for "Oh my goodness," too, both because the initial "g" makes it clear that you're using "goodness" as a substitute for "God" and because humans have no goodness of their own.

Put enough expressions of shock and dismay off limits, and eventually you also put shock and dismay themselves off limits.

Oddly, one of my favorite memories that I'll take away from my participation in this form is when I realized that my Lutheran grade school teachers were not the only ones who told us that gosh, golly and gee were just the same as sanctioning the name of our Lord and Savior. Seriously, I was so glad to know that wasn't just us.

I thought about it, and if people are to take that to its logical conclusion, we would not even say oh, as well, that's a symbol of eternal life and God's eternal nature and everything else, isn't it? In other words yes absolutely – don't express yourself.

Okay – to the topic at hand. I decided to treat myself to lunch out at a favorite pub. Long story short, it took me 10 minutes to get seated, and I didn't see my waitress after that – it occurred to me that it was probably because the waitstaff were very busy with a large gathering of ladies (I counted about 15) about my age who had arrived before and after me, all dressed in the giveaway Pentecostal garb: long skirts and long hair piled high on top of the head. By the way, I like them because we were all about the same shape, heh heh.

After those 10 minutes, I realize that not only had no waitress come to visit me, but no server had been seen anywhere in my part of the restaurant. I quietly got up, left and walked a few doors down to another restaurant. Got seated right away, got my order taken and was happily tucking into my salad when I saw servers arranging a table for 8. Sure enough – in walked five of the Pentecostal ladies and 3 men as well, all dressed primly in their suits and ties on a hot July afternoon.

I'm not sure why it amused me – I guess I realize that even nice, polite, modestly dressed people have their limits as well. And somehow, it was kind of important to me that a large party hadn't been the whole cause of the bad service at my usual café. I mean, if that had been the case, none of them would've felt the need to come over to the other restaurant as I did.

I guess my big take away from the whole thing is I'm concerned that my first choice of restaurant isn't well-managed anymore!

I haven't seen any fundies lately, but whenever I drive to Ohio to see my family we drive through TN and I make my husband stop in Clinton or Lake City for lunch just in case might spot one of the Bates clan. We always see signs for Clown College so maybe one day if we aren't pressed for time we'll make a detour and drive around a bit.

One week from today, I will go to my first fundie wedding. This will be exciting. Hahaha, an old co-worker who won't need to have a job anymore since she will be Mrs Hausfrau very soon. She quit once she became engaged. I honestly don't know what to expect except "I do" and lots of Jesus.

One week from today, I will go to my first fundie wedding. This will be exciting. Hahaha, an old co-worker who won't need to have a job anymore since she will be Mrs Hausfrau very soon. She quit once she became engaged. I honestly don't know what to expect except "I do" and lots of Jesus.

Oh please do a recap :)

This past Wednesday, I was in Chestertown, MD and I saw this woman come out the store with two young children. She was dressed in a halter top and coochie cutter shorts. She had a tattoo on her arm from a distance it was some words and something that wrapped around the arm. She came close enough so I got a good look at the tattoo. She had little fetus sized footprints tattooed all around her arm from shoulder to wrist and the words were: "Every Twenty Second A Baby Is Killed By Abortion. God Weeps." :cray-cray:

At the gym the other day I saw a woman in a black tee shirt with "I would suck without Jesus" in huge white block letters. Quite the testimony, I thought. :lol:

There's a new guy at work who has 10 kids. The oldest is 22 and was recently married! He's really nice and doesn't seem to be chauvinistic at all.

I asked if he subscribed to the Duggars ideas. He said he actually knew the Duggars before they were famous. I didn't want to seem too creepy so I asked a few more random questions about his family. (how do they afford school supplies and stuff like that). They home school and everything!

I'll have to ask more as we work together more.......

• happy atheist locked and unpinned this topic

Archived