IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encountersâ„¢ Part 2

happy atheist

I had dinner with a friend today. She and her brother were raised nominally Christian but pretty much unchurched. He was a successful businessman with a PhD, and married a college-educated woman.

Fast-forward a generation: Their college-educated daughter's husband, a college-educated man who worked in finance, had a "calling" and quit his job to go to seminary and become ordained. They have now been married 10 years and have 6 kids, whom she homeschools. They have been on missionary jaunts to places like India (without the kids, thank God). It sounds a LOT like some of the fundies we follow here.

The young woman's mother, who is widowed, is appalled. She is 70, and helps with the kids during the husband's extended missionary trips without his wife, but dreads their moving the entire family to another country.

I can't help thinking of the Shraders.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the reminder to check out when The Book of Mormon will be at the Peace Center. It's not until mid-November. Whew! I hoped I'd not missed it.

I'm late seeing this but you have to see it!! I've seen it twice and each time I cried from laughing!

Years ago, I was friendly with a fundie-lite woman. Her daughter and my son are about the same age, and we used to get together so our kids could play. Sometimes we would make crafts, and I would help her with her church projects.

After awhile, my friend noticed that I didn't attend a church, and she began dropping hints that I should attend hers. I avoided the subject as long as I could, but finally broke down and admitted that I was out of the church and religion in general due to spiritual abuse I had suffered as a child. I was in tears and admitted that I wasn't even sure that God existed. She consoled me and said, “It's okay, I love you, and God loves you, too.†It made me feel a lot better.

A few weeks later, she stopped returning my phone calls. We hadn't argued or had a falling out, she just stopped speaking to me. I was bewildered and hurt.

So fast-forward to thirteen years later. I run into this same woman at a party. She stops me in the middle of a crowded room to tell me that she remembers me. She drives by my house regularly, she knows about my son's illness, and she prays for me all the time. She herself has been horribly ill, and she hopes that our kids can be friends again because they now have something in common, and can commiserate over their shared experiences in illness.

I was appalled. We hadn't spoken in THIRTEEN YEARS. If she really remembered so much about me and was worried about us, then why didn't she actually drop by my house to see how we were doing? If not that, then why didn't she send me a message through Facebook? Why should our children be friends again when they haven't seen each other since they were toddlers? Why is it okay to drop me as a friend after learning I wasn't Godly enough for her liking, but to pretend that she is worried about me in a carrying voice in a room full of strangers, now, when we have no relationship to speak of?

I didn't say much except to wish her better health. Apparently, I'm not much for words when my jaw has dropped to the ground. :lol:

To my ex-friend: if you know someone who is critically ill, or has a child who is critically ill, then offer to help, or stay the fuck away. Don't play-act at being concerned so that you look the part of a Trew Christian to a group of strangers and use your “Godliness†to conceal your lack of interest. If you had honestly cared about anyone in my family, you would have gotten in touch sooner.

Of course, if you were any type of real Christian, you wouldn't have used my crisis of faith against me.

Rescinded, that's awful. The nerve of that woman is appalling. Props to you for responding with such grace.

I was sitting in the office a couple weeks ago and saw a Subaru pull up out front. The car seemed a little odd for the area (this office is in a very rural area and Subarus just aren't common vehicles in the town or even the county) but I didn't think much of it until I saw the driver. Young woman, probably early thirties, wearing a Maxwell-style outfit. Shirt over a shirt, ankle length denim skirt, flip flops, hair up. A boy about 8 years old climbed out of the car with her. He was wearing blue dress pants, a blue button-down dress shirt, and a navy blue tie. All pretty strange for 1 pm in this town.

They proceeded to go into the jewelry store two doors down, then the crisis pregnancy center next door. Then they came into my office. The little boy very politely asked if I wanted to buy chocolates (which looked delicious, dammit!). I politely told him no and they left.

They were definitely some type of fundie, given the dress and such, but I'm still trying to figure out what type. I feel like they came from a county over, just based on the car and dress. None of the churches in that county are that type of Fundie, lite or otherwise. The churches in that county are the gun-toting, boots and jeans and 'Murica type places. There are a couple of churches a county or two over that are more Maxwell and Duggarish.

I just saw a fundie family as I drove by the local Hobby Lobby (I do not shop there on principle. I was driving home from Starbucks). The wife was in a bright red frumper (What a scandalous color!) and wearing a headcovering. The father and son looked normal (At first, and then I realized it was the fundie male uniform: cornflower blue collared shirt, and jeans with belt. The son had a different colored shirt on). The little girl was in a navy dress (Not frumper, just typical kid cotton play clothes, but fundie modest, of course). I so badly wanted to roll down the window and say something...anything, but I didn't know what I would've said, and I suppose saying anything at all would have been rude.

Not quite a fundie encounter, but I'm vacationing in Malaysia right now, and when I was walking alone along a beach jetty, I ran into a local Muslim guy in traditional garb (the long white robe and cap). He was very eager to talk to me (there are lots of foreigners on the island I was visiting, but most don't really interact with locals who aren't in the hospitality business), and we had a very pleasant conversation about our families and homelands. The one thing that kind of struck me was when we parted ways and I offered my hand for a handshake, and he raised his arms up in front of him and said "oh, no, no, no, no" and just waved instead. I think it's because I'm a woman. I wasn't offended -- I understand that it's a cultural difference between us -- but I remember that for a split second, I thought it was so weird that he wouldn't want to touch me, since for me, shaking hands with a man is not a big deal at all. But I know I'll remember our very nice conversation much more than getting handshake-snubbed due to taboos about touching women not related to you.

I just saw a fundie family as I drove by the local Hobby Lobby (I do not shop there on principle. I was driving home from Starbucks). The wife was in a bright red frumper (What a scandalous color!) and wearing a headcovering. The father and son looked normal (At first, and then I realized it was the fundie male uniform: cornflower blue collared shirt, and jeans with belt. The son had a different colored shirt on). The little girl was in a navy dress (Not frumper, just typical kid cotton play clothes, but fundie modest, of course). I so badly wanted to roll down the window and say something...anything, but I didn't know what I would've said, and I suppose saying anything at all would have been rude.

I'm not sure about rude, but anything you would have said would have been awkward. Like if you rolled down your window and said "hey! you're a fundie!!" Depending on their personalities, they would have seen it as an unwelcome intrusion into their lives or as an opportunity to minister to you. Either way, probably not what you want.

That link isn't working for me.

Sorry, I posted that on my phone on the Tapatalk app. For some reason, they don't seem to show up on regular computers. Let's see if this works:

Click me!

The image is too wide to be posted, so I made it into a clickable link.

Last Saturday, I went to a Civil War re-enactment, and I saw a family with eight kids. They grouped together and all of the girls wore blue-jean skirts. It was interesting.

The university in my town gets regular visits from street preacher Brother Jed. I overheard the students I work with talking about how students at another university created Brother Jed Bingo.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... jed-bingo/

The best part is that it doesn't take very long to win.

OMG, that is hysterical! You literally made me laugh so hard, I cried. I so wish that dude and that club had been around at my college. The best part was the picture of all of the kids sitting around on the lawn with their bingo sheets. I just died.

The university in my town gets regular visits from street preacher Brother Jed. I overheard the students I work with talking about how students at another university created Brother Jed Bingo.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... jed-bingo/

The best part is that it doesn't take very long to win.

Brother Jed! I had no idea he was still around, what a blast from the past. Between that and college football season I'm really wanting to head out to my old camput watering hole for really cheap beer. (Said hole was unfortunately torn down in 1992 - I'm old.) :lol:

I had a surprise fundie/fundie-light encounter Sunday night. I was in Camp Hill, PA (right outside Harrisburg) with a friend this weekend for a dog show. We ate dinner Sunday night in a Friendly's restaraunt near the hotel. A group of people sat in a booth near us, 2 couples & a single man. The man was evidently a regular, because the waitress knew him & was joking with him. The women were in skirts but had short hair & make-up, the men had suits & ties, & they said they had just come from church. One of the other men (who turned out to be a pastor) said "We're on a mission to change his life." Waitress: "I hope you can get him to change, because he's always hanging around here bugging me!" She was obviously just engaging in the usual lighthearted waitressy banter, but the pastor said. "We want to change his life completely & get him saved." The waitress laughed & the pastor said "No, really, God is capable of marvelous things." Waitress quickly got the drink orders & left.

When the waitress brought the food, pastor said, "We're going to pray now. Would you like us to pray for you?" Waitress said , "Yeah, sure, but I've got to run & get these other orders." She practically ran back to the kitchen. Then they all held hands & the pastor prayed loudly one of those long prayers with plenty of "father, we just...", with the other people throwing in lots of "yes, Lord" & "thank you Jesus" and it went on & on. I felt like I was having a flashback to my church days.

All during their meal they were talking about their awesome church services & how many people were saved & really laying it on thick. There was also some conservative political talk & some Obabma jokes. I felt kind of sorry for the poor guy they were pursuing, because he was obviously embarrassed by it all & looked like he was ready to run. They were giving off a strong Independent Baptist vibe.

And I was priveleged to hear every single word because they were right across the aisle from me & were really, really loud & obnoxious. I never expected to find conservative fundies in PA!

I also saw a young Amish couple walking down the street in Gettysburg. Not sure if they were married, because while she was wearing a dark bonnet, he was clean shaven. They were with a man dressed in regular street clothes, the men were side by side & the young woman was following a few steps behind.

And on the way home there was a large family in a van beside us at a rest area. All the women/girls wore head coverings, but some of the girls were in long khaki or denim skirts & some were wearing jeans, all with tshirts. The men/boys were dressed in shorts & tshirts. They were all smiling & friendly.

I was sitting next to an accountability/Bible study pairing during the first half of my lunch. They were talking about witnessing and figuring out how to decide who to harassshare Jesus with. The one's hesitance was being dismissed with "but fishers of men! JESUS!!! etc!!!".

I never expected to find conservative fundies in PA!

I am curious why you don't consider Amish and other AnaBaptist groups as "conservative fundies".

Because they don't proselytize?

Brother Jed! I had no idea he was still around, what a blast from the past. Between that and college football season I'm really wanting to head out to my old camput watering hole for really cheap beer. (Said hole was unfortunately torn down in 1992 - I'm old.) :lol:

Ahh, yes, I remember Brother Jed also!! My sister is a senior at UIUC now and I believe he's still around. Sorry to hear about your old watering hole...just come to Kam's, it hasn't fallen in yet :)

Upon further research, I've learned that brother Jed preached on other campuses besides UIUC. Shows how much I paid attention to him! Glad even more people can share in these fond memories :/

I had a surprise fundie/fundie-light encounter Sunday night. I was in Camp Hill, PA (right outside Harrisburg) with a friend this weekend for a dog show. We ate dinner Sunday night in a Friendly's restaraunt near the hotel. A group of people sat in a booth near us, 2 couples & a single man. The man was evidently a regular, because the waitress knew him & was joking with him. The women were in skirts but had short hair & make-up, the men had suits & ties, & they said they had just come from church. One of the other men (who turned out to be a pastor) said "We're on a mission to change his life." Waitress: "I hope you can get him to change, because he's always hanging around here bugging me!" She was obviously just engaging in the usual lighthearted waitressy banter, but the pastor said. "We want to change his life completely & get him saved." The waitress laughed & the pastor said "No, really, God is capable of marvelous things." Waitress quickly got the drink orders & left.

When the waitress brought the food, pastor said, "We're going to pray now. Would you like us to pray for you?" Waitress said , "Yeah, sure, but I've got to run & get these other orders." She practically ran back to the kitchen. Then they all held hands & the pastor prayed loudly one of those long prayers with plenty of "father, we just...", with the other people throwing in lots of "yes, Lord" & "thank you Jesus" and it went on & on. I felt like I was having a flashback to my church days.

All during their meal they were talking about their awesome church services & how many people were saved & really laying it on thick. There was also some conservative political talk & some Obabma jokes. I felt kind of sorry for the poor guy they were pursuing, because he was obviously embarrassed by it all & looked like he was ready to run. They were giving off a strong Independent Baptist vibe.

And I was priveleged to hear every single word because they were right across the aisle from me & were really, really loud & obnoxious. I never expected to find conservative fundies in PA!

Did they leave a tip? (or maybe you left before they did, the windbags lol) Waitresses always talk about how shitty tips can be on Sundays with all the church people for customers. I've even heard rumors of church people who said they didn't need to leave a tip because they already paid their tithes. :doh: Just, what the hell. This is the kind of idiots that i don't want to have my kids grow up around. And i've never seen a church without a few jerks like that. Tips are part of the cost of dining out.

I'd bet a virtual steak dinner that those people did NOT tip well. :lol:

My encounter happened last week at a college football game. The weather was brutal, rainy, cold and night time. There was a young couple and the girl was dressed in a skirt a little longer than knee length and flats. It made me think of fundies because if you truly had free will to wear what you wanted wouldn't you pick something more cold weather friendly?

...from what I can figure from his Facebook, one of the kids I went to high school with has become a faith healer.

okay. Wow.

My best friend recently went to a concert another mutual friend invited her to. She heard 'collective' in the band name and thought it was 'Animal Collective' and said yes..

After the 45 minute drive the gps told her she'd arrive at her destination, a christian church. The crowd was a bit young (actually, probably about the same age as my friend and I..) but everyone was with there with their parents, had a LOT of personal room and about half of the group was girls in long skirts and modest tops. She said in between songs they would tell 'jokes' (Have you noticed caffeine is the Christian drug?! HAHA) and hold prayers. There was also a presentation on Grand Canyon University and information about sponsoring kids in Africa. She said the worst part was in the main band telling everyone to 'hold one another', and everyone suddenly came close. She and our other friend didn't want to touch anybody so they had to run to a wall. (Which I think was weird, I mean, you can't touch anyone/only side hug but being super close and moving your hips together with people you don't know is perfectly okay..)

The best 'band' was this woman who was singing about celibacy , (Which you could buy shirts of at the merch table!!1). The woman was talking about how she saved her first kiss for her wedding day (everyone goes 'AMEN!'). Yup, after dating her husband for 3 years they finally kissed! (More awhs and Amens!)

Favorite quote of the night: ''GOD ISN'T HIDING TONIGHT!!!!1!!'' which was said way, wayy too many times.

i saw a bus like Uriah!

But it was gray with an RV-style swoosh of pink and purple and tan along the side and was definitely truckin' to another groove. :lol:

That thing was huge.

(edited to fix the description, because at first i made it sound like a fruit stripe gum bus lol)

• happy atheist locked and unpinned this topic

Archived