IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encountersâ„¢ Part 2

happy atheist

I got to mess with some fundies on Thursday. A friend and I went to lunch at Olive Garden. We were being seated at the same time as these two men, them in the booth directly behind us. We are the only two tables occupied in our section. As we walked past, friend and I smile and say excuse me. The men kind of look away and don't smile back. (We may have defrauded them. She was wearing capris and a tank top, I was wearing a skirt and tank top. Both of us had cleavage and multiple tattoos visible.)

We sit down, and they start praying loudly. Lots of fundie speak. "Such a blessing, walk with the lord, path of righteousness" blah blah blah. My friend and I look at each other, and instantly decide to screw with them. We begin to say a long and elaborate prayer to our dark lord and master, Lucifer. We can tell the guys are listening, because they go quiet. Prayer over, we begin to enjoy our meal. The men continue to talk (loudly) about the blessings of the lord, so and so is backsliding, and needs to invite Jesus into their heart, yadda yadda yadda. So her and I start talking about where to purchase black candles for tonight's ceremony, and that we need to go purchase ram's blood, and are Rainbow and Eucalyptus still virgins, because the spell will only work if you use a virgin. This goes on all through lunch. As we go to leave, the men shove tracts into our hands and literally run out of the restaurant.

Her and I are practically rolling on the floor laughing. My friend says she peed a little. I can't imagine what those poor bastards were thinking as they ran away from us. I'm pretty sure I'm going to hell.

That's the best!! So funny!

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must be in a "low fundy" area, because I rarely see good stuff the way you all do. But this last weekend, I was at an amusement park In PA, when I spotted some fundy "lites".. I was shocked to even see them there, but it's kind of a dead area for entertainment. Even the board at the entrance to the park mentions appropriate dress. But there they were. Dad, in his "fishers of men" T shirt, mom with dead, glazed eyes, staring down,, supercilious stare Junior, the oldest, then the four stairstep daughters.... in line for the haunted house! Probably prayed the whole way through..

We decided if it ever happens again we're going to walk out holding hands so they think we're gay. That would add to the fun :)

this one is just a 'faux-fundie' encounter :-)... my parents came to visit, and my mom came out to the pool in what looked like long shorts and a long-sleeved rash guard. She started to go in the pool and I asked where her swim suit was. She said, "this is it..". So I smiled and told her she looked like a fundamentalist. She was not impressed :-).

I saw the greatest thing I will ever see in my life yesterday.

A couple friends and I were at King's Island, an amusement park. As we were wandering around, we noticed a group of Amish people. They had the traditional dress and facial hair, girls in long muted skirts with those white bonnet things, etc. They were riding rides and seemed to be having a nice time.

We got in a long-ass line for a popular dead-drop ride. Several young Amish people were in line ahead of us in such a way that we were often standing next to them in the queue. In front of them was a small group that looked like just stereotypical gangbangers/hoodlums. Mostly latino dudes with gang tattoos and NIKE! dressed girls.

The amazing part was that, at one point, I overheard one of the Amish guys talking to one of the gang guys. About Jesus!!!!! They were having a wonderful conversation about the similarities and differences of their beliefs on Jesus! The heavily tattooed guy dispelled the notion that Catholics worship Mary, and the Amish guy explained why they live simply.

It was honestly very moving to my friends and I. We were actually in line behind the latino guys shortly after and one of my friends mentioned it to him, that it was awesome he'd struck up such a conversation with someone so different than him, and the guy was like, "yeah, I wish more people could talk frankly and respectfully like that. They were curious about our religious tattoos, and we were curious about their clothes, and we just talked about it without judging."

Edited for riffle

A couple friends and I were at King's Island, an amusement park. As we were wandering around, we noticed a group of Amish people. They had the traditional dress and facial hair, girls in long muted skirts with those white bonnet things, etc. They were riding rides and seemed to be having a nice time.

We got in a long-ass line for a popular dead-drop line. Several young Amish people were in line ahead of us in such a way that we were often standing next to them in the queue. In front of them was a small group that looked like just stereotypical gangbangers/hoodlums. Mostly latino dudes with gang tattoos and NIKE! dressed girls.

The amazing part was that, at one point, I overheard one of the Amish guys talking to one of the gang guys. About Jesus!!!!! They were having a wonderful conversation about the similarities and differences of their beliefs on Jesus! The heavily tattooed guy dispelled the notion that Catholics worship Mary, and the Amish guy explained why they live simply.

It was honestly very moving to my friends and I. We were actually in line behind the latino guys shortly after and one of my friends mentioned it to him, that it was awesome he'd struck up such a conversation with someone so different than him, and the guy was like, "yeah, I wish more people could talk frankly and respectfully like that. They were curious about our religious tattoos, and we were curious about their clothes, and we just talked about it without judging."

I worked at KI for a summer in college. Fundies, particularly of the Pentecostal variety are ABUNDANT there almost every day. They come in huge groups.

We got in a long-*** line for a popular dead-drop line. Several young Amish people were in line ahead of us in such a way that we were often standing next to them in the queue. In front of them was a small group that looked like just stereotypical gangbangers/hoodlums. Mostly latino dudes with gang tattoos and NIKE! dressed girls.

I've never lived near the Amish, but I didn't know they were allowed to go to amusement parks! I think I saw some at Silver Dollar City, but that's because it's an 19th century themed amusement park, and the Amish (or more likely Mennonites) were there working, not going on the roller coasters.

I worked at KI for a summer in college. Fundies, particularly of the Pentecostal variety are ABUNDANT there almost every day. They come in huge groups.

Same with Cedar Point. The last time I was up at CP, there were quite a few obviously Pentecostal groups around.

I was there meeting someone offline for the first time, so I had my hair down... it was extremely long at the time and some of the younger Pentecostal woman nodded at me throughout the day... probably thought I was one of them! :D

I've never lived near the Amish, but I didn't know they were allowed to go to amusement parks! I think I saw some at Silver Dollar City, but that's because it's an 19th century themed amusement park, and the Amish (or more likely Mennonites) were there working, not going on the roller coasters.

I suppose they don't always follow all the rules as closely? :D I've seen Mennonites and Amish people at both of the major amusement parks in Ohio. I always wonder what they think about the people around them.

Considering that most human beings cannot live two thousand years and the life expectancy in the ancient Mediterranean wasn't exactly long, I highly doubt Jesus would be alive today if it weren't for us pesky Jewish people.

I didn't quite have a fundie experience like that (though I nearly had a falling-out with my best friend at age 10 or so after she told me that I was going to hell and would burn forever because I was Jewish), but there was one kid in my high school AP US History class who bought into the whole "Jews control everything" conspiracy BS. In one class, he made a comment that implied that Jews secretly control the world media, and I whirled around and said "Well, we gave you Seinfeld, the Daily Show, SNL, and everything Mel Brooks has ever done. Trust me, it's better this way."

My dad also likes to write "blood of Christian babies" on our Passover shopping lists and claim that he's late for the International Jewish Conspiracy meetings.

Well, this guy didn't exactly listen to logic about how long people can live when it comes to Jesus.

Nice come back to the guy in your history class!

Haha, it sounds like your dad and I have a similar sense of humor. One time my high school had a blood drive during Passover. I really wanted to walk into the gym where it was held and ask for the blood of Christian children.

Maybe the whole blood libel thing started because Dracula was Jewish?

One night at work I dropped a bottle of glass cleaner on my foot and I used Steve Maxwell's name as an expletive.

bahaha.'

That is just amazing :D

One night at work I dropped a bottle of glass cleaner on my foot and I used Steve Maxwell's name as an expletive.

bahaha.'

I'm pretty sure swearing on the name of G-d is a big sin. You better watch out ;)

I suppose they don't always follow all the rules as closely? :D I've seen Mennonites and Amish people at both of the major amusement parks in Ohio. I always wonder what they think about the people around them.

Hershey Park in Pennsylvania is right next to Amish country and there are always a TON of young Amish and Mennonite people there, sometimes entire families as well. Since Mennonites can drive cars, it makes sense they would be allowed to ride park rides. I think most of the young Amish are on Rumspringa. I've also heard that the the interpretations of permissibility for things like that (i.e., one isn't actually operating the ride so it is okay to get on) varies by community. I've also seen Amish girls rollerblading! (No motor after all!).

Well, I can add my encounters to this list. I meant to do this the first time it happened but I forgot until I had a second encounter.

I live in Northwest Arkansas. On June 29th, my family and I wanted to see the fireworks at the Cross Church in Rogers. We didn't want to actually watch them at the church since it would be crowded and decided to go behind the YMCA and watch from there. Well, we get there, get set up and I start to look around and realize I am RIGHT beside Jim Bob and some of the kids. I didn't see Michelle. They also had several other fundie families with them.

My second encounter was about a week, week and a half ago. I was in the Goodwill in Bentonville and was checking out. I happen to look up as 2 people walked in and it was Michelle and Jessa. I could not believe what I was seeing. As they walked in Michelle was really giving Jessa a talking to. I'm not sure what about but I could tell it wasn't a happy conversation. I didn't hear anything and as I was walking towards the door, Michelle finished what she was saying, Jessa stayed by the door to look at Razorback stuff and Michelle promptly headed towards the back. Jessa didn't look too happy.

I live outside DC and sometimes when I'm out in DC or surrounding areas I keep my eye out for the Smuggars. What have you people done to me.

Well, I can add my encounters to this list. I meant to do this the first time it happened but I forgot until I had a second encounter.

I live in Northwest Arkansas. On June 29th, my family and I wanted to see the fireworks at the Cross Church in Rogers. We didn't want to actually watch them at the church since it would be crowded and decided to go behind the YMCA and watch from there. Well, we get there, get set up and I start to look around and realize I am RIGHT beside Jim Bob and some of the kids. I didn't see Michelle. They also had several other fundie families with them.

My second encounter was about a week, week and a half ago. I was in the Goodwill in Bentonville and was checking out. I happen to look up as 2 people walked in and it was Michelle and Jessa. I could not believe what I was seeing. As they walked in Michelle was really giving Jessa a talking to. I'm not sure what about but I could tell it wasn't a happy conversation. I didn't hear anything and as I was walking towards the door, Michelle finished what she was saying, Jessa stayed by the door to look at Razorback stuff and Michelle promptly headed towards the back. Jessa didn't look too happy.

Oooooh, I wonder what's happening in Duggarland. Jessa doesn't sound like she's keeping it sweet.

Does Jessa ever keep it sweet? I bet when the cameras are off, Michelle and Jimbob yell at her all the time. Even more than they probably do with the others. Like that time with her being kinda snarky to Jimbob on camera, if she is confident enough to do that, I bet when the cameras are off she has proper arguments with her parents. Shes too old to be blanket trained, she got through that stage in one piece, and I bet they cant control her now. I really really hope one day she pushes them into snapping and yelling at her on live TV or something.

Maybe Jessa doesn't own money, and Nutschelle was telling her off for wanting to buy a bunch of stuff she doesn't need. Like a six year old. Which is how Nut and Nutschelle treat her.

Hate to be off topic. But that's one of my biggest pet peeves about JW's that they don't accept blood products.

I simply do not understand why that's such a no-no. I would like to bet that any one of those JW's could have had a transfusion at some point (likely pre-conversion but maybe not) and because of it, they are able to walk around and bug the rest of us.

On a lighter note, the JW's have started making the rounds in the neighborhood again. I have started to tell Mr. No that the next time he decides to answer the door (because he will and I won't) that I dare him to tell them that if they want to tell him about their faith, then they should be willing to hear about his, and hey, they are in luck, the coven meets this afternoon.

Better yet, if he answers the door, I can always yell it from downstairs. Maybe I should threaten that.

So I recently went on a small vacation and saw LOTS of fundies. I live in New York, so they are really a rare sighting for me (minus conservative Jews).

The first one was at the airport, starting things off. It was a youngish family with quite a few kids. The mom was wearing a nun-like head covering and a frumpish dress with sleeves that went to the floor. The daughter (maybe 8 years old) was wearing a similar dress. The dad and the sons were each wearing khaki-like cargo shorts and a hawaiian type button down. There was a youngun who if I recall correctly was being noisy. And the younger kids were climbing all over the seats at the airport gate, exactly like the Duggar children do.

Then, I saw several Amish families on my trip. It was weird because my trip was to Williamsburg Va, where people dress up like colonists and reenact the time period. So the Amish kinda sorta fit in there. But you can tell they are Amish because their bonnets were different and the men dressed differently, and they had a brood of kids with them. So yeah, there were several Amish in Williamsburg. And in Jamestowne, I saw a huge Amish family who were at the archeological dig site.

Lastly, in Washington DC, I saw two different fundie families. First one, get this, was in the Museum of Natural History. I was like, WOOOOOAH shut the front door. Because there is a whole wing dedicated to evolution. And not to mention dinosaur bones and other fossils and things that use actual science to conceive of. Oh yeah in this museum I also saw another Amish family by a giant stuffed polar bear, in the ocean room. Color me shocked by these encounters. The second fundy family was in the Museum of American History. It actually must have been more than one family because there were way too many of them, but you never know. They were sadly all wearing almost the exact same thing.

I wish I could have talked to them, but I didnt. I was just so shocked by seeing all of these fundies because I never see any. When I was in DC I was keeping an eye out for Smuggar haha

So thats my fundie encounter!

Yesterday I had my first fundie sighting since moving 5 years ago to the San Francisco area! They are extremely rare around here, I'm guessing because of both the liberal cultural climate and the high cost of living.

Anyway, this family of 9 (7 kids) all got on the bus and at first I thought it was a school group, because they got on by an elementary school. But then I realized they all looked the same. The kids were aged maybe 13-4. It seemed like there was a set of twins, but that's still really impressively close in ages....

All the boys were wearing polos except one who was in a Jesus tshirt. The girls were wearing leggings and tunics, as was the mother.

One of the younger boys (maybe age 6) started sobbing on the bus, but it was silent. Nice training!

What I found most interesting is that they were African. They were not speaking English. I think they were speaking Swahili.

Not exactly a fundie sighting, but I was at a beach and there was a mother with a son who was about 2 or 3 years old. The son was obviously scared of the water but the mom dragged him in anyway. When he started crying loudly and reaching his arms up for her she got angry and it looked like she reached over and spanked him, then a few seconds later she slapped the water in front of him splashing him, so it's possible that the first time she slapped the water behind him instead of spanking him, I'm not sure. About a minute after that she let him get out. The mom was wearing a bikini and speaking Russian so I don't know what she said, but her child rearing techniques reminded me of the Pearls.

Not exactly a fundie sighting, but I was at a beach and there was a mother with a son who was about 2 or 3 years old. The son was obviously scared of the water but the mom dragged him in anyway. When he started crying loudly and reaching his arms up for her she got angry and it looked like she reached over and spanked him, then a few seconds later she slapped the water in front of him splashing him, so it's possible that the first time she slapped the water behind him instead of spanking him, I'm not sure. About a minute after that she let him get out. The mom was wearing a bikini and speaking Russian so I don't know what she said, but her child rearing techniques reminded me of the Pearls.

In Soviet Russia, water slaps you!

My family and I went to a small-town agricultural fair here in Connecticut yesterday. There was a tent for the Fellowship of Christian Farmers. My very Catholic BIL turned to my other very Catholic BIL and said, "Why don't you go in and take one for the team?" I got the impression that the men in the tent, and their visitors, were going on about religious matters far more than farming.

• happy atheist locked and unpinned this topic

Archived