IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encountersâ„¢ Part 2

happy atheist

Later we head to the pool. While there I notice a 20-something couple in the pool. The wife appears to be wearing a Muslim black head covering. Nah I think. They're in the water. Then the exit the pool. She is wearing a full covering wetsuit. Only her hands feet and face are showing. The best part? Her husband is wearing what appears to be boxer briefs (not swim trunks) and his "buddy" was distinctly obvious. So much for modesty with that guy
Was she wearing a burqini, maybe?

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My "fundie sighting" was in my dining room over Thanksgiving.

I heard about Essential oils and how they probably cure MRSA.

I heard a relative who was for years atheist/agnostic but fell in love with Ron Paul and now was talking to the religious school administrator (also a relative) about some thing I'd been reading on my Fakebook page where a teacher allegedly told a parent the kids were the school's not the parent's (I call bullshit)

I got to hear about how global warming is all fake and fracking is so important that Denton Texas has no right for just a few people (ie, the majority of voters there) to try to stop it and the state must step in to enforce eminent domain if they try--but we must stop big government.

And a doctor friend dumped his practice because of Obama care (though he's working fewer hours as a physician for another group and making more money--it was all Obama's fault)

Oh, and College is not always a good idea because a lot of people graduate then can't find jobs in their fields.

And we should not give anyone welfare as long as there are help wanted signs in Texas.

Big companies are bad but the Kochs are misunderstood....

I heard a relative who was for years atheist/agnostic but fell in love with Ron Paul and now was talking to the religious school administrator (also a relative) about some thing I'd been reading on my Fakebook page where a teacher allegedly told a parent the kids were the school's not the parent's (I call bullshit)

I got to hear about how global warming is all fake and fracking is so important that Denton Texas has no right for just a few people (ie, the majority of voters there) to try to stop it and the state must step in to enforce eminent domain if they try--but we must stop big government.

And a doctor friend dumped his practice because of Obama care (though he's working fewer hours as a physician for another group and making more money--it was all Obama's fault)

Oh, and College is not always a good idea because a lot of people graduate then can't find jobs in their fields.

And we should not give anyone welfare as long as there are help wanted signs in Texas.

I'm so sorry Salex! I think you would have had more fun at my in-laws - after dinner (and young kids were in bed) we played Cards Against Humanity. All the answers were wrong but so funny!

Attended a small Appalachian town "Turkey Trot" (5K race/walk) Thanksgiving morning--in snow flurries--and there was a fundy teen girl in a long denim tiered skirt and short boots among the walkers. She was probably the only skirt wearing woman in the 400+ odd person crowd. Odd because the boots had short little heels--not a good choice for walking. Maybe her only other footwear is flip flops.

Also saw a young fundy family--Dad in ill fitting suit, mom in floor length denim tiered skirt & kerchief w/ long hair, w/ 3 kids under 5 I guess--at the Walmart.

Happily those things were condensed from many conversations over the weekend not all in an hour. But we hit on all of them. Upside was i gotto play with cute toddlers and my husband and are on the same pageonthings. I just dont debate any more because what is thepoint? i am wondering if the oncefeminist sister has moved to the right with her ron paul husband. Something has changed and i cant tell what with her.

Was she wearing a burqini, maybe?

I thought she was when they were snuggling in neck deep water. When she got out I saw that it was a full wet suit. Like one a deep sea diver would wear

This is what the Burquini looks like: https://ahiida.com/

These have advantages. They would be great for the perpetually pale (like me).

Black is slimming. Who wouldn't want to look slimmer at the beach.

Forgot to shave your legs? No problem. :lol:

Aside from the head covering part of the outfit, sign me up! ;)

A good friend of mine, lets call him Joe, was recently sent to India to find a wife. Upon arrival he was handed a binder with pictures and vague details about each woman and had to pick one. They were engaged after their second meeting. He is going back to India in a few months to get married. Apparently during this process no financial information about the prospective bride is disclosed until after the engagement. They have never been alone together, always several cousins and both sets of parents watching them. Joe is in his late 20's, still lives with his parents, and has worked unpaid in his family's business for the last decade. If only I could go to the wedding, but my newest blessing does not travel well at all.

While not the type of fundies we normally talk about, can we all agree that if Jim Bob ever finds out about this method of courtship he will probably start carrying around a binder with pictures of his daughters and give it to every man he meets.

This is what the Burquini looks like: https://ahiida.com/

I actually like that better than the wholesome wear that the Duggars preach about. The overcoat on the wholesome wear is what makes me cringe. wholesomewear.com/slimmer-c.html

When I was trying to find wholesome wear (because I couldn't remember the name) I found this site: swimmodest.com/modest-swimwear These are actually cute modest swimsuits, they look more like dresses with pretty designs (I like the Chocolate/Turquoise Swimsuit). but they also don't shout "LOOK HOW MODEST I AM" and the suits only come down to mid-thigh- it shows knee :o - and we all know what a turn on the knee is!!

A good friend of mine, lets call him Joe, was recently sent to India to find a wife. Upon arrival he was handed a binder with pictures and vague details about each woman and had to pick one. They were engaged after their second meeting. He is going back to India in a few months to get married. Apparently during this process no financial information about the prospective bride is disclosed until after the engagement. They have never been alone together, always several cousins and both sets of parents watching them. Joe is in his late 20's, still lives with his parents, and has worked unpaid in his family's business for the last decade. If only I could go to the wedding, but my newest blessing does not travel well at all.

While not the type of fundies we normally talk about, can we all agree that if Jim Bob ever finds out about this method of courtship he will probably start carrying around a binder with pictures of his daughters and give it to every man he meets.

My god, he could be like Mitt Romney. "Binders full of women!"

I actually like that better than the wholesome wear that the Duggars preach about. The overcoat on the wholesome wear is what makes me cringe. wholesomewear.com/slimmer-c.html

When I was trying to find wholesome wear (because I couldn't remember the name) I found this site: swimmodest.com/modest-swimwear These are actually cute modest swimsuits, they look more like dresses with pretty designs (I like the Chocolate/Turquoise Swimsuit). but they also don't shout "LOOK HOW MODEST I AM" and the suits only come down to mid-thigh- it shows knee :o - and we all know what a turn on the knee is!!

To be very honest, I wear swimsuits that look a lot like these. They are very comfortable. I am not comfortable with wearing bikinis or swimsuits that expose my upper arms or thighs, not because I am fundie or anything, I am just not comfortable with sleeveless clothing. I wish I had the courage to wear a bikini though.

These have advantages. They would be great for the perpetually pale (like me).

Black is slimming. Who wouldn't want to look slimmer at the beach.

Forgot to shave your legs? No problem. :lol:

Aside from the head covering part of the outfit, sign me up! ;)

I actually thought the same exact thing. I would feel more comfy at the pool or beach in that then I do in a one piece or tankini but admittedly I have body issues.

From the Swim Modest testimonials: ""We got our order last week and the modest swimsuits are so cute on my girls. They are so excited and so am I. The boys like their swim shirts too! My 5 yr. old is telling everyone how modest her new suit is compared to other suits. Now my husband wants me to order one too. Thanks so much!"--Michelle, Washington

:roll:

For the record, I went to the site to see if there was anything I might like, but I cover up more than that, so no. And I dress my preschoolers in somewhat conservative swimwear, too, mainly for sun protection. But if I caught my daughter puffing up and being all "More modest than thou!" then we would be having a little chat about not judging and I would do some serious thinking about how it was that I was sending such the wrong message to my kids.

A few weeks ago, as I was getting into my car, a passenger van pulled into the parking lot. It took them forever to get out and get organized, as the kids were all over the place, figuratively. All the females were wearing long skirts. After they went into the department store, I drove past their van to see if anything was written on it. Instead of those stick people family stickers, there were two Jesus fish stickers (without the Jesus in the middle), over on the left, and about a dozen smaller Jesus-free Jesus stickers swimming across the rear door.

Tonight i was attending an Advent event and someone I work with is a 42 year old rad trad Catholic who got engaged in August to a 38 year old soul mate he had known for 6 weeks. They are getting married at Christmas. Both are very vocal about sexual purity, moral absolutes and the truth of Catholicism. They sat next to me, and my first thought was OMG, I'm gonna see some hand sex. Sure enough..... X rated hand holding that would make Josh and Anna proud. Gag.

From the Swim Modest testimonials: ""We got our order last week and the modest swimsuits are so cute on my girls. They are so excited and so am I. The boys like their swim shirts too! My 5 yr. old is telling everyone how modest her new suit is compared to other suits. Now my husband wants me to order one too. Thanks so much!"--Michelle, Washington

:roll:

For the record, I went to the site to see if there was anything I might like, but I cover up more than that, so no. And I dress my preschoolers in somewhat conservative swimwear, too, mainly for sun protection. But if I caught my daughter puffing up and being all "More modest than thou!" then we would be having a little chat about not judging and I would do some serious thinking about how it was that I was sending such the wrong message to my kids.

OMG I need to go back and read comments. Wow a 5 year old boasting modesty.

At least there was some variety in the discussion. Thanksgiving dinner with my in-laws was All About Ferguson, at length. Apparently none of Mike Brown's teachers were on TV telling people what a good kid he was, so he must have been a juvenile delinquent, and the poor cop should move to Texas, where people still respect cops. Et cetera, et cetera, blah blah blah.

I went to a small Christian (nazarene) school that I would say was fundie lite and I was basically in the same class with the same 22 people for 7-8 years. So, I definitely remember them and have connected with them on Facebook over the years. One person I could never find, and it always bothered me because he was definitely the most popular guy. The athlete, the stud. I last saw him in high school and I think he dabbled in drugs. Ha, I saw him have his first French kiss in 6th grade. We are all 33-34 years old now.

Anyhow, I periodically searched for him but not too hard and today I found him. He is the co-pastor of the local IFB church (and this is southern CA where there are not many fundies). I saw his picture, and there are videos of him preaching about modesty and courtship. He is the director of their private, baptist elementary school.

The church is family integrated, patriarchal, and listed on freaking Steve Anderson's website of IFB churches. On the church's fb page I see it's members are also friends personally with the PP.

From an obituary I saw he was married with 4 kids. It looks like he went to their small baptist "college" - and I'm sure it's the only college he's been to. There is nothing online about his wife, who has a somewhat unique name. They don't have facebooks or any type of social media. There isn't even a bio on the church website.

Both of his parents, who I remember as normal with other jobs (and I know he went to a public high school) are now working for the church. I cannot find his brother, who was a year older than him, being associated with them in any way. No social media for them either. Just fundie church bulletin posts.

So that was my wacky encounter of the day. Seeing this guy now being a chubby IFB baptist preacher with ties to PP. meanwhile, the girl he "dated" at our school went on to model for playboy. Funny how lives turn out. I'd love to know how he came to become a preacher.

I had a minor drive-by fundie sighting as I was at a traffic light. I saw a woman in niqab, which isn't unusual in the grand scheme of things. However, she was with 2 men standing in the drive-thru of Jack in the Box.

Yesterday, my daughter encountered the "modesty police" at school. She started public school this year for 7th grade. She chose an arts focused school with a reputation for being progressive. The school is considered kind of "ghetto" around here because of its majority hispanic ethnic makeup. She loves it, but says she can't believe how many "prudes" there are. My daughter is very developed for her age. She dresses cute and fashionable, but no more immodest than anyone else. But when you're 13 and 5'11 with dd's, people tend to notice.

There is a girl in homeroom that constantly critiques her outfits for not being modest enough. This girl was horrified the other day because she could see my daughter's bra strap. There is a girl in science class that refuses to believe in evolution, and told my daughter she was going to hell because we don't go to church.

But yesterday was the clincher, and the day I realized how much I love my daughter's science teacher. They're finishing up their unit on evolution, and this girl was going on about god, creation, blah blah blah... so the teacher tells her that this isn't religion class, she doesn't have to believe in evolution if she doesn't want to, but that it will be on the final. In a huff, the girl turns on my daughter, who sits at her lab table along with her, and a boy. She tells her "I don't know how I'm supposed to concentrate like this. You really should dress more modestly. You're showing way too much cleavage". The teacher comes over and asks if there is a problem. Annoying girl says "I can totally see Florry's boobs, and it's very distracting" boy at the table says "yeah Florry, I can't concentrate either. You just gave me a boner." The class starts laughing, and the teacher tells them that they need to learn some self control, that my daughter is perfectly within the dress code and should not have to be subjected to their inappropriate comments. He sent them to the office, and sat my daughter with her friends.

My daughter comes home and tells me this story, and she's cracking up laughing as she tells it. I'm getting pissed because these kids shouldn't be harassing her. Apparently, the offenders were lectured about sexual harassment, and had to apologize to her. She said she's not embarassed, she thinks it's hilarious, and nobody made fun of her, but that quite a few made fun of them, especially the boy, who is now known as "boner boy." I almost feel sorry for them, and then I remember what jerks they were to my kid, who actually did tell the others to cut it out because she's nicer than I am. Creationism, modesty, and boners all in one day. What I don't get is why the parents would send their kids to this school. If I was a fundie, I wouldn't want my kids anywhere near it.

This morning, I was watching the news, and this story came on.

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — Hired by farmers as a private security guard, Brooks Rucker patrols thousands of acres of Georgia farmland on the lookout for thieves toting 5-gallon buckets.

He rarely comes up empty handed. Since the fall harvest began Oct. 1, Rucker says, he and two other guards have caught more than 160 culprits in the act. Some they let go. Others get handed over to police. Either way, he's recovered thousands of dollars' worth of stolen goods: mounds of pecans snatched from his employers' trees.

"It's an all-day hassle trying to keep these folks out," said Rucker. "You'll pull into a pecan grove and they'll have a 10-foot extension ladder trying to shake the pecans loose with poles. It's bad."

At a time when farmers should be giving thanks for pecans selling at record prices, they're instead cracking down on thieves. One sheriff in pecan-growing country says his department gets several calls a week reporting pecan snatchers, while the prosecutor in the area anticipates prosecuting dozens of pecan-theft cases.

It's not just pecan pies and other nutty goodies driving demand so close to the holidays. Prices have soared as China has developed an insatiable appetite for pecans, while withering drought in the southern U.S. has limited supplies.

In Georgia, the nation's top pecan producer, farmers and authorities say criminals can earn a tidy profit by stealing the nuts — worth $1.50 or more per pound in smaller quantities. Pecan grower Bucky Geer estimates a single 5-gallon bucketful is worth about $38.

"Some of these pecans are approaching a nickel in value apiece," said Geer, whose neighbor set up surveillance cameras after a theft. "It makes them too tempting to steal."

Geer and six other farmers in southwest Georgia's Mitchell County hired Rucker and his friends to watch their combined 7,500 acres of pecan groves during the fall harvest, which runs through December. The farmers pay the men, all of them volunteer firefighters, about $2,100 a week total.

Under Georgia law, it's a felony to steal more than $500 worth of a crop from a farmer's land. Joe Mulholland, district attorney for the five-county judicial circuit that includes Mitchell County, anticipates that he'll prosecute dozens of pecan theft cases after the harvest.

"A significant number of them will be felonies," he said.

Duke Lane, chairman of the Georgia Pecan Growers Association, said the precautions are worth it. Pecan groves can cover hundreds, even thousands, of rural acres where there often aren't people around to spot thieves. And stolen nuts are easy to offload.

Roadside stands are buying them to sell to passing motorists, Lane said. Owners of rural businesses from gas stations to hardware stores act as middlemen, buying smaller amounts until they accumulate enough to sell to food processors.

"We're losing a lot of money," said Lane, who notes that pecan thieves have been a problem before, but seem more aggressive than ever this year. "You could easily steal $1,000 worth of nuts in one night."

All I could picture was the Wallers and their friendly African American police officer.

• happy atheist locked and unpinned this topic

Archived