IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encountersâ„¢ Part 2

happy atheist

I would love to see flds. I'm going to use visiting my friend in st George as an excuse to check them out.

I want a full report!

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just thought of another Fundie encounter. My second year of college, in my college algebra class I sat next to this girl who had extremely long hair, and always wore skirts. She was really sweet, and I was a bit jealous of her hair. It was never frizzy, and always looked great.

After my sons karate class I took the kids to McD for dinner. As I was waiting to turn left in the lot I notice the front license plate of an oncoming Traverse "QUVRFL" with a Psalms number on the license plate holder (psalms 123??) I almost got whiplash trying to look inside the car as it passed me with eleventy kids :cracking-up:

Finally we are in the drive through and I'm trying to figure out why some QF folks would be in my town. We're an old German town with mostly Lutheran churches. In IL but far enough from ATI hq. The drive up line is slow moving. When I finally get to the window the teen aged kid that's working apologized profusely. He explains they had a large church group pull up. Like a few buses. They apparently were at the Christian school down the street. The QF car! Buses of fundiies!! I'm trying to look in the drive up window for frumpers and polo shirts. I see just some hs aged kids in long black dresses and black dress pants with white shirts. As I'm leaving I chrvk the buses hoping to see the Clown College logo but it was just some random baptist churches.

I have such an exciting life on a Friday night :cracking-up:

Fundies in my town -day 2

As I was out and about today running my errands I noticed a gathering of people on a corner in the town center. It was about 6 couples all over the age of 60 and they had a rather large banner set up "Gods family. 1 man. 1 woman" WTF is with these people and their hate?!?!? I was so pissed I contemplated driving back and pulling up next to them to ask "doesn't God hate judgmental people too or did you skip that part of the bible?"

When I got home I told the hubby about the gathering. I asked him to pull out the snuggie and toss on some sandals. We could make a crown of sorts and he could go back as Jesus.....holding a sgn with a big arrow that says "I'm with stupid" :cracking-up:

Idiots. If Joshie and the hate bus pull into town tomorrow I'm going to have to move

I had an English Comp professor last semester at Uni who was a fundie (always wore long skirts, covered collarbone, head covering, etc.) She was nice enough but she told us on more than one occasion that she was there to teach us, but if she could convert a few of us as well, she'd be doing her job. Also, I go to a pretty well known state school in a pretty liberal area, so I was pretty shocked to see a real life fundie, let alone have as my professor.

I had an English Comp professor last semester at Uni who was a fundie (always wore long skirts, covered collarbone, head covering, etc.) She was nice enough but she told us on more than one occasion that she was there to teach us, but if she could convert a few of us as well, she'd be doing her job. Also, I go to a pretty well known state school in a pretty liberal area, so I was pretty shocked to see a real life fundie, let alone have as my professor.

that seems a bit unethical...

Wow, so teaching heathens in the big, bad world is totally her "missions." I'd definitely have given her an interesting eval to read at the end of the semester.

Wow, so teaching heathens in the big, bad world is totally her "missions." I'd definitely have given her an interesting eval to read at the end of the semester.

So would I and I am perfectly capable of writing blistering prof evals.

(Not trying to get into politics.)

Go ahead and get into politics if you'd like. If I catch your post, I'll probably respond. The influence of religion on politics is the reason I'm here.

Also, in my town there is a community of 12 Tribes, an appalling cult. They run a restaurant in town, which I hear is very good. I refuse to patronize them. I live in a college town and kids that age can be vulnerable to cults. This worries me as their community is getting larger.

Oh, my god! I have one of those cafes near me. It's in the most gorgeous building with a hand-carved wooden interior - just fantastic. I went in for a coffee and was very puzzled because the servers look kind of orthodox Jewish but they're clearly something... else.

I often see very conspicuously dressed women at my favorite grocery store. The men dress in regular work clothes, like every other dude in the area, but the women wear all black, flat sneakers or ugly loafers, long skirts, and little linen bun covers on their hair. I have no idea to what church they belong.

I've been reading the updates on the GoFundMe page about the woman's husband who has cancer. She still keeps posting that she believes that Christ will miraculously heal her husband, and that if God was willing to raise Jesus from the dead on Easter, then why shouldn't she believe the same can happen for him?

This, followed by pictures of her husband, emaciated and hooked to all sorts of tubes and IVs. :cry:

I think I'm going to unsubscribe to the updates. They're starting to get to me.

I've been reading the updates on the GoFundMe page about the woman's husband who has cancer. She still keeps posting that she believes that Christ will miraculously heal her husband, and that if God was willing to raise Jesus from the dead on Easter, then why shouldn't she believe the same can happen for him?

This, followed by pictures of her husband, emaciated and hooked to all sorts of tubes and IVs. :cry:

I think I'm going to unsubscribe to the updates. They're starting to get to me.

Oh, jeez, that's rough. I always wonder if faith helps in cases like that. Will she be shaken when her poor husband dies, or find a way to rationalize god's actions. :cry:

Oh, jeez, that's rough. I always wonder if faith helps in cases like that. Will she be shaken when her poor husband dies, or find a way to rationalize god's actions. :cry:

I got busy yesterday and forgot to unsubscribe, but I did receive one final update. Her husband actually passed this morning. She talked about how lost she feels, but that God always gives everyone what they need, when they need it, and she's praying for guidance.

As hard is this is for her, I hope she is able to find her strength right now. Her kids will need their mother in the coming days. Poor, sweet family. Her GoFundMe page did bring in quite a lot of money, so I hope that gives her some help.

As sad as this has been, at least he isn't in pain anymore.

I just moved to the town over from where the Arndt family lives. We've only been here three days but I'm crossing my fingers for a Wizzy sighting to report soon.

I got busy yesterday and forgot to unsubscribe, but I did receive one final update. Her husband actually passed this morning. She talked about how lost she feels, but that God always gives everyone what they need, when they need it, and she's praying for guidance.

As hard is this is for her, I hope she is able to find her strength right now. Her kids will need their mother in the coming days. Poor, sweet family. Her GoFundMe page did bring in quite a lot of money, so I hope that gives her some help.

As sad as this has been, at least he isn't in pain anymore.

Poor family. I hope she finds comfort in her community and loved ones.

For a chick raised without any religion in New Jersey, I have a ton of encounters. Many Hasidic families shop at my mall, though I have no idea what they're buying. When my ex and I honeymooned at one of those cheesy resorts in the Poconos, we shared our meal table with a pair of Mennonites on their honeymoon. They were fascinated by Mexican food. Oh, and one of my coworkers tried to heal me by "laying hands" on me at work when I lived in Kansas City. It did not cure my flu, but she meant it kindly.

I ran into some young ladies at the fabric shop yesterday. I had do a couple double takes because I thought they could have been the 7 Sisters. I had to go Seven Sisters blog to make sure- it wasn't them :( The ladies I ran into had plainer dresses, same basic style and they had black head coverings like the Seven Sisters. I spoke to the mom, I mentioned something about lots of flannels and we chatted about the good selection of fabrics.

Out of all the fundies we snark on here, I think Seven Sisters seem the most reasonable. They are open to adventure, seem the genuinely like each other's company and they work (etsy). We would have A LOT of differences but they seem the most open to different people (the bus trip to DC as example).

Dh and I take note, as I'm sure many of you do, of fundie wear in peculiar or out-of-place places.

You know, the Duggar girls and their flip flops hiking miles up the mountains or working in poo in the farm. Or Grandma Duggar in her skirt on a horse.

So, where have you seen them rocking "the skirt-n-frumper" style lately?

This past week, I was at Kohls and couldn't believe me'yies. The mannequin was dressed, head to toe, in fundie wear. Let's see, there was a spandex-blend maxi skirt, black with narrow white horizontal stripes all the way down, and a solid short sleeve knit tee with a white modesty undershirt underneath. Flip flops, naturally.

How did the Duggar girls inspire department store wear? :think:

We also saw a few interesting fundie moments in church over the years. Now, I know you're thinking that it wouldn't be unusual to spot fundies in a church. True.

But the first church was very progressive, large, non-denominational. To our eletric guitar, full-on drums, progressive worship, a single fundie (full dress code, including bun and head covering) added her own personal touch, -playing her personal tambourine in the audience while she swayed to the music (freeing?)

We also saw a fundie (again full on wear all the way to the hair and covering, while the rest of us were in jeans and tees) playing the bassoon. Kind of neat because this person clearly was liberated somewhat from a former uber-fundie lifestyle, simply by being willing to be among us (unlike the Duggars, who seem to practice legalistic biblical separatism.) Can't really bag on the continued fundie dress code either, because my own proverbial hat is off to this fundie for becoming more mainstream, albeit fundie dress intact.

I always cringe when I see those people bc that was me growing up. Wherever we were, with our long skirts, no make up, long hair (up in a bun once you reached a certain age). This will sound SO weird but I cringe when I see them at the zoo or something, but there's also a tiny part of me that wants to go join them. I know it would feel like "home." Do any other former funnies have that happen?

I just moved to the town over from where the Arndt family lives. We've only been here three days but I'm crossing my fingers for a Wizzy sighting to report soon.

My mom's maiden name is Arndt. I'm so curious if we're related. I don't know that we are...but it's not a common name.

I always cringe when I see those people bc that was me growing up. Wherever we were, with our long skirts, no make up, long hair (up in a bun once you reached a certain age). This will sound SO weird but I cringe when I see them at the zoo or something, but there's also a tiny part of me that wants to go join them. I know it would feel like "home." Do any other former funnies have that happen?

I can understand that. Dressing a certain way does not make a bad person or bad family. I can see how seeing them dressed that way might stir a mix of emotions. That's true for many experiences in life. I grew up in a particular denomination. I don't wish to return, but I do miss some of the traditions and even repetitive nature (ritual) of the Sunday services. It wasn't all positive (hence why I felt compelled to leave that denomination). But there are some things I miss, and seeing even the less desirable aspects sometimes leads my brain on a rabbit trail to the more positive memories.

Depends on what you'd consider unusual.

I've got some pictures of me hiking and standing under a waterfall with full mid-calf skirt and long t-shirt.

My son's hockey team includes several very Orthodox Jewish kids, so it's possible that some other teams at their tournaments may do a double-take, seeing dads with black suits and beards and moms with hair covering (although hats don't stand out that much in a hockey arena) and long skirts - plus the obligatory Canada Goose parkas that everyone else wears, of course.

Other sort of religious garb is pretty common here, so it's not unusual, for example, to see women with full hijab and niqab at the mall or even our big theme park.

I don't think about it. Mainly because I used to live in an area that had a German Baptist (think Mennonites aka almost Amish but have some modernness like driving cars) community nearby. So women in home sewn dresses, the white guazy bonnet and big ole plain boats for cars waasn't uncommon.

Now I live in an area that has both mennonite communities and amish. So from a buggy crossing the overpass as I drive down I70 to doing a double take at a convenience store along the interstate as a boy in overalls followed by a teen looking girl with the dress, sweater, bonnet head inside. Looked over, sure enough. Black minivan with chrome removed and plain wheels, man in overalls gassing it up. All totally normal.

This weekend at a gun show. I went with a friend to purchase her home defense device. As per the occasion we saw plenty of hunters, collectors, rednecks, and the requisite police/military types. Then, just as we were walking out I passed a woman in a denim skirt, loose tee shirt and The Bun. :)

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
Where we are down South, it's predominantly Catholic, so finding a random Pentecostal (Penny-costal) catches me a little off guard.

• happy atheist locked and unpinned this topic

Archived