IGNORED

3rd Degree Burns on a Child: Priesthood blessing THEN 911

emily

Yeah, not everything is a parent's fault, but I don't know why she didn't think to test a noodle before handing the soup to the kid.

When I was learning to stand/walk, I liked to play in the kitchen. My mom left me for a minute and I cruised over to the preheated oven, where I put my hands on the hot surface. Since I wasn't able to stand without support, I just had to stand there screaming while my hands burned until my mom came to pull me off. My palms were severely burned (second and third degree). Nobody's fault, but she should have thought before leaving me.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, not everything is a parent's fault, but I don't know why she didn't think to test a noodle before handing the soup to the kid.

When I was learning to stand/walk, I liked to play in the kitchen. My mom left me for a minute and I cruised over to the preheated oven, where I put my hands on the hot surface. Since I wasn't able to stand without support, I just had to stand there screaming while my hands burned until my mom came to pull me off. My palms were severely burned (second and third degree). Nobody's fault, but she should have thought before leaving me.

ouch :| i hope for your sake that it healed without scarring.

It looks like Max is improving. His parents are still basting him in oil. Apparently now they have the okay to let him inhale it as well.

Miracles:

-Totally done with IV

-Sooo grateful we can put oils on Maxs feet and in his air (we feel so empowered when we listen to the dr & nurses each day and address potential issues before they turn into issues)

-Third times the charm on successful life without a catheter (I'm confident those muscles will be ready with a little more distance from sleepy meds and a little Juniper Berry support)

-Lungs are getting stronger and stronger. Hoping for oxygen free tomorrow

-Physical therapy is kicking all of our trash (despite his incredible courage- this hurts- Max cries a few times. It is easier when Max is in the therapy gym thinking of how he can strengthen and encourage others

-We are processing this experience and the real emotions that come with it one moment at a time (sometimes talking through it, praying a lot and breathing in lots of oils, and sometimes just distracting Maxs mind with a phone call or a movie when he needs it)

-Love & gratitude to a loving Father on Heaven who loves us enough to give us this experience.

-Grateful to hear and follow the impressions from within. Without a doubt, the capacity Nat calls upon the most to make decisions is intuition. We do our due diligence, we do projections, we do a bit of research to get the facts. But at the end of the day, the driving force in our life comes from listening to that inner, instinctual voice. Our natural knowing that isn't bound by logic, fear or past experience. Thank you for natural knowing!!

-Hallelujah that when a nurse says MRSA or pneumonia or whatever else they inevitably will say in their sick care process that we do not identify with it and roll forward trusting God and the process.

-Countless amazing nurses, Drs., physical therapists, burn care team, and so many more! Amazing angel care here makes each moment more human and doable.

Please pray for Max's legs to be strong and done cramping, body to remain strong (especially lungs and swallow for real food tomorrow), for Max to believe that he can do it all

-Lungs are getting stronger and stronger. Hoping for oxygen free tomorrow

This isn't scientific, but I know how my lungs burn when I inhale a strong scent or walk through a craft store with the smell of doom. I can't imagine "scenting" the air of someone who has weak lungs and is on oxygen. Sheesh.

This is a miracle. Mainly because Max is still alive even though his parents did everything wrong. Not because of the oils though, its pure luck or that they lied about their use of oils. Im glad Max is doing well, cause things didn't seem good at first and I was sure he would die.

I have never heard the expression "kicking our trash" before. Is this a Mormon turn of phrase?

And he is home...

Every day feels like a metamorphosis, using the best of natural medicine as his skin evolves over time. During wound care, Max asked, “Do I scare people?†He wants people to be close to him. I told him, “People want to hug you, but they need you to take the lead. They may be worried that they could hurt you.â€

Today, Max’s friends (Angela, David, Sierra, & Hyrum) came to visit him. Max was super excited before they came. He gave each of them a big hug when they came in. They all talked and laughed together for an hour. Max even bragged about the diamond texture of his new grafted skin.

Right after they left, he hugged Nat and started to sob. I thought he was embarrassed, that he was finally grieving for himself. Then he spoke about how sad he was about Katie’s death. “How can people be gone so fast? I didn’t even get to know her.â€

Tonight, he prayed, “Thank you for the things we have learned, the things we have gained, and the things we have lost. Thank you so much for time we get to spend with loved ones. Please bless the Hancocks. Thank you for death and suffering.â€

So grateful for a vulnerable and sensitive son.

Now that it is almost over, I am going to go with it was a for real event (they have tons of pics), but maybe not as dire as they originally described? Otherwise how is he recovered so quickly? I know everyone recovers at different rates, but still, this doesn't pass the smell test. In out pt rehab I treated a few former severely burned pts and the risk of infection is so high that they were inpt for much longer then a week or 2. I didn't end up seeing them (for voice and swallowing rehab) til they were discharged 2-3 months post accident.

From quite possibly he'll die to home and hugging people in less than a month? No, it doesn't work.

I'll go with gross exaggerations on the front end. For his sake, I'm glad it wasn't as horrible as his parents made it out to be.

This story is going around privately on Facebook, again, with the mommyish link. A FB friend says "I have been to a doTERRA party and they love telling of miraculous things. I had to check the date in story because I was told a very similar story at a party I went to last year. bad burn, presidential level family member was healed wth oils."

Lends a little credence to the idea of a hoax, doesn't it?

She also said this on followup: "the party I attended was sometime last year mid fall I think. two women selling stuff - one was such an extremist about her definition of healthy living. she may have even had a hand out. I remember her having pictures of the burned leg - I can't remember the cause though. "

His recovery seems so suspicious. He has gone from serious third degree burns over most of his body, and about to die, to home from the hospital in a matter of weeks. Wouldn't someone with injuries like that have to stay in hospital for months?

His recovery seems so suspicious. He has gone from serious third degree burns over most of his body, and about to die, to home from the hospital in a matter of weeks. Wouldn't someone with injuries like that have to stay in hospital for months?
not if you have holy oil dumped all over you. According to them thousands of dollars worth.

Do we know what the website used to be? The domain was registered (or the information was updated, at least) in October of 2013, which is weird if the website only appeared when this injury happened, but not if it was used for something else first.

Something seems really fishy here, but I can't quite figure out what they're doing. Obviously some kid has been injured, but the progress seems sped up when considering the injuries he has. So it could have happened previously? But wasn't there news articles when it happened? It just doesn't make any sense. The parents also seem to be super public about it, so it's hard to believe no one they know would have called them out on it if they were fibbing or this had happened earlier, and so on. But at the same time, everything seems so fishy that there has to be something.

It is strange. But they seem to be real people with real life family and friends. I don't see how they could get away with it.

As I mentioned before, I recently had a serious 2nd degree burn. It was a pretty large area of my back, about 1 foot x 6.5 inches. It got infected even with super careful and proper care, but the infection cleared up right away when I was put on antibiotics. It took a full month for it to be mostly healed. You can still tell where it was because the "new" skin is...newer. I don't think it's going to end up scarring, it's just taking a while for the new skin to fully heal because it was a bad burn.

I'm going to call BS on this kid getting out of the hospital so soon. For one thing he'd need skin grafts and debriding as he heals. The chance for infection is just too high for them to let him go home so early, miracle oils or not.

Maybe he's actually dying and the hospital let him go home to be with the family. /morbid

Seriously, this happened a month ago and he's home? I find this hard to believe.

As I mentioned before, I recently had a serious 2nd degree burn. It was a pretty large area of my back, about 1 foot x 6.5 inches. It got infected even with super careful and proper care, but the infection cleared up right away when I was put on antibiotics. It took a full month for it to be mostly healed. You can still tell where it was because the "new" skin is...newer. I don't think it's going to end up scarring, it's just taking a while for the new skin to fully heal because it was a bad burn.

I'm going to call BS on this kid getting out of the hospital so soon. For one thing he'd need skin grafts and debriding as he heals. The chance for infection is just too high for them to let him go home so early, miracle oils or not.

I'm also calling BS on the kid getting out of the hospital so soon as my stepdad who is a retired firefighter/paramedic said that one of the calls he went on was where a kid fell onto some freshly paved roadway and suffered 3rd degree burns over a large part of his body. Despite getting emergency treatment right away with a 911 call, that particular kid was in the hospital for much longer than a month as he had skin grafts and other treatments in addition to strong antibiotics.

My bullshit meter has been on high alert throughout this whole thing.

It seems probable that their son was burned. They have lots of pics and nothing turns up if you reverse-google the images. The family is well known so they couldn't make up such a huge accident entirely and get away with it.

The main issues for me are:

- The registration of the domain and blog created about Max so quickly

- The story changing

- Their claim the doctors allowed them to bring oils into a freaking burn unit and USE them

- A member of the airlift team posting to their blog

- The superhuman recovery. nobody goes from 3rd degree burns to 40% of their body and might die to being home in 1 month. EVER.

- And most of all, the way they plugged the oils throughout the entire fucking thing.

I think there is a basis in truth and a real burn injury, but the severity was clearly an epic lie. No burn unit would ever risk infection this way, no burns heal that quickly, and this is obviously a ploy to sell more oil. Honestly I'd be just as skeptical if they claimed this story and used a product they had no vested interest in/were selling because nobody ever heals that fast.

My bullshit meter has been on high alert throughout this whole thing.

It seems probable that their son was burned. They have lots of pics and nothing turns up if you reverse-google the images. The family is well known so they couldn't make up such a huge accident entirely and get away with it.

The main issues for me are:

- The registration of the domain and blog created about Max so quickly

- The story changing

- Their claim the doctors allowed them to bring oils into a freaking burn unit and USE them

- A member of the airlift team posting to their blog

- The superhuman recovery. nobody goes from 3rd degree burns to 40% of their body and might die to being home in 1 month. EVER.

- And most of all, the way they plugged the oils throughout the entire fucking thing.

I think there is a basis in truth and a real burn injury, but the severity was clearly an epic lie. No burn unit would ever risk infection this way, no burns heal that quickly, and this is obviously a ploy to sell more oil. Honestly I'd be just as skeptical if they claimed this story and used a product they had no vested interest in/were selling because nobody ever heals that fast.

The burn injury itself was the only thing that pegged as real for me. The rest of it, no. Certainly not applying oil in the hospital and even the initial story of putting oil on before going to the ER, that idiocy would have been noted by ER staff and in all likelihood gotten the attention of a social worker. I highly doubt they would blog about this if they had a social worker on their case, they would be running a bit scared. Also, the airlift team member posting to the blog seemed contrived to give some credibility to their story.

ETA: That there is this sudden "miraculous" recovery doesn't suprise me in the least as the latest turn in this tall tale.

"Thank you for death and suffering.â€

That is so creepy. Who says that? Especially a *child* !!

I am 99% sure that this is in someway grossly exaggerated - perhaps not even intentionally, initial estimates of severity could have been off - and/ or a scam.

But-- I can't be the only one who has a tiny little part of my brain wondering if maybe the essential oils actually helped, right? Feel free to snark away at me, but medical advances have been discovered in stranger ways.

I am 99% sure that this is in someway grossly exaggerated - perhaps not even intentionally, initial estimates of severity could have been off - and/ or a scam.

But-- I can't be the only one who has a tiny little part of my brain wondering if maybe the essential oils actually helped, right? Feel free to snark away at me, but medical advances have been discovered in stranger ways.

So, the Ramen story up-thread where essential oils seemed to help seems true to me because the oils were applied after the initial burn was cared for as a way to help the skin heal. That seems reasonable.

But I just can't logically buy that putting oil on a third degree burn as first aid could possibly help it. If they had talked about oil as part of the healing process like Ramen-mom did, I might buy it. But I just can't. It doesn't make any logical sense.

EDIT: If it had healed that quickly, it would be a pretty big medical breakthrough, too. You'd think it would be in mainstream news.

So, the Ramen story up-thread where essential oils seemed to help seems true to me because the oils were applied after the initial burn was cared for as a way to help the skin heal. That seems reasonable.

But I just can't logically buy that putting oil on a third degree burn as first aid could possibly help it. If they had talked about oil as part of the healing process like Ramen-mom did, I might buy it. But I just can't. It doesn't make any logical sense.

EDIT: If it had healed that quickly, it would be a pretty big medical breakthrough, too. You'd think it would be in mainstream news.

Well no, because the government and the liberal news media are suppressing this incredible GOD GIVEN remedy.. Thanks Obama...../sarcasm/

Archived