IGNORED

The Leftovers: the rapture, HBO-style

Geechee Girl

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched this yesterday on HBO Go. I didn't really get it so I didn't really get into it, and so I googled it because I was pretty sure it was based on a book and sure enough it was. Anyway, that's not the point - I read the Wikipedia entry on it, and it didn't sound super exciting but I think I'm still going to watch because there's not much else on TV during summer and it is somewhat interesting. That and I have a lot of questions like, what's with the smoking and no talking, and why do those people only wear white? And is that Liv Tyler? (Yes, it is.) And, more importantly, is that really what teenagers do at parties?! [emoji33] With the door open?

It seems like people became more religious after the event. Did you catch that, or am I totally off target? What are your thoughts on the show?

I loved the book The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta. But, it was a single book that wasn't even that long- 336 pages is what wikipedia is telling me. I don't know how it can be dragged out into a tv series form. The book details how many offshoot religions and cults formed after the rapture. There are the Remnants- the people who dress in white, are silent and are required to smoke 3 packs a day. There's a Holy Wayne who's a cult leader of a hugging cult. The Barefoot People are kind of hippies who, as their name suggests, don't wear shoes. It was a strange sad and wonderful book. The TV series looks to be a bit of a mess. Maybe it will get better after the first episode.

I was disappointed the show didn't begin 24hrs after the rapture. I had some of the same questions as you, ChaCha. What's up with the chain-smoking, selectively mute cult in white? What's up with the other cult? I found the episode a little disjointed. The crazy flashbacks were over the top. I'm sad to say, some of those party activities were accurate based upon pics my GG has shown me on tumblr & IG from the partiers at her school. I reckon the drugs, self-mutilation, and random hook ups were the sad attempt for the teens to test fate and feel alive. I saw the ending reveal coming from a mile away. So far, I haven't found any one character to be truly sympathetic. Liv Tyler, bless her heart.

I agree, the town did seem to get more religious after the rapture. It was odd to see the class sitting and talking through the pledge, but on their knees for prayer. I liked the original score by Max Richter. It has a similar haunting quality like the music of Les Revenants. I will try to stick this show out for 2 more episodes. I'm hoping it will find its legs.

keen23- I did notice the book wasn't that long, or at least it didn't seem long enough for an entire TV series. I haven't read the book, though; this is just what I gleaned from the Wiki entry. So far, they introduced the Remnants and Holy Wayne, but not the Barefoot People, although I did read about them in the Wiki entry. The author is co-creator, so maybe he'll add to the story.

Geechee- I agree, the episode was disjointed. Maybe that's why I couldn't get into it. I imagine there wouldn't be much to show 24 hrs after the rapture except confused and shocked people, although I was surprised they jumped 3 years ahead. I'm assuming it's going to be a lot of flashbacks throughout the episodes. And about those darn teenagers - I'll continue denying that they actually do that [emoji85][emoji86][emoji87]

At least I get good use out of HBO other than watching True Blood, which isn't that great anymore (but I'm sticking with it til the bitter end).

SNIP

At least I get good use out of HBO other than watching True Blood, which isn't that great anymore (but I'm sticking with it til the bitter end).

HBO just put out A Normal Heart. It was wonderful. I cried my eyes out. It was beautiful.

HBO just put out A Normal Heart. It was wonderful. I cried my eyes out. It was beautiful.

Ooooh I haven't heard of that movie. I'll definitely have to watch it. Although, I did cry when I watched Case Against 8, so I'll probably bawl my eyes out with Normal Heart. HBO does make good movies & documentaries, so it's not all bad.

Keen, thanks for the recommendation. I'll put Normal Heart on my list to watch.

• 3 weeks later...

I just began this series. I saw a commercial during True Blood and the concept seemed really interesting. However I was underwhelmed. The action and the acting to me was flat. Also why do they shoot dogs?

I just began this series. I saw a commercial during True Blood and the concept seemed really interesting. However I was underwhelmed. The action and the acting to me was flat. Also why do they shoot dogs?

I think they mention in the first or second episode that the dogs basically lost their shit (not literally) after the 'event' and went all primal. Something along those lines.

I thought the latest episode (the Rev's story) was a bit more engaging.

My husband and I are watching and after the first episode we both were like what the heck is going on. The pieces are gradually starting to fit together and this last episode was really interesting. Does anyone else think the minister and Amy Brenan had something going on before everyone disappeared? I am only asking because of the flashback scene.

My husband and I are watching and after the first episode we both were like what the heck is going on. The pieces are gradually starting to fit together and this last episode was really interesting. Does anyone else think the minister and Amy Brenan had something going on before everyone disappeared? I am only asking because of the flashback scene.

Ohhh! I hadn't thought of the Rev and the chief's wife (Laurie). I did think it was strange that she appeared, but just thought it was because he had seen her in the backyard. I guess we'll have to keep watching!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting more into it. The preacher episode was really interesting. I'm really, really hating the remnant people. Especially the mom who ditched her family.

• 1 year later...
Totally necro-ing this thread (I seem to have a bad habit of doing that -- sorry) to post the trailer for season 2. Did anybody else stick with the show in season 1? Am I the only one?

http://www.hbo.com/the-leftovers/about/ ... oplay=true

(err, I think it's okay to not break the link because it's HBO... ???)

I did. Though still not quite sure what I think of it.......

When does the second season start?

I did. Though this has more to do with my love for Chris Eccleston than anything. I'll be back.

I bailed after the first few episodes with the intention of giving it another shot, but I forgot. One of these days, I will try to go back to it. Knowing it's been renewed gives me hope the story will improve and hold my interest.

I think the new season starts October 3, or thereabouts. Jennifer Aniston's husband kept me going back with all those shirtless scenes :drool: but I really liked all the flashbacks and seeing what people's lives used to be like and where they are now.

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to watch Season 1, and forgot, or something...Anyway, we just had an ad last night for Season 2. So, is it worth watching? What do you all think?

Give me an rating out of 10, 10 being "OMG! Best thing I ever watched!" and 1 being "Don't bother, go to bed or colour instead".

I think the new season starts October 3, or thereabouts. Jennifer Aniston's husband kept me going back with all those shirtless scenes :drool: but I really liked all the flashbacks and seeing what people's lives used to be like and where they are now.

Not only is he Jennifer's husband, but he's Louis Theroux's cousin. Louis is the documentary guy from the BBC, and one of my more cerebral crushes. As is Stephen Fry. And Dr Michael Mosley, And Dr Brian Cox...

I was going to watch Season 1, and forgot, or something...Anyway, we just had an ad last night for Season 2. So, is it worth watching? What do you all think?

Give me an rating out of 10, 10 being "OMG! Best thing I ever watched!" and 1 being "Don't bother, go to bed or colour instead".

Not only is he Jennifer's husband, but he's Louis Theroux's cousin. Louis is the documentary guy from the BBC, and one of my more cerebral crushes. As is Stephen Fry. And Dr Michael Mosley, And Dr Brian Cox...

Justin Theroux! That's his name! (I totally could've googled that, but I don't want to get google "cards" on my phone about this guy :snooty: )

It definitely wasn't a 10 for me. Maybe not even an 8. Maybe a 7... Hmmm, honestly, I think I watched it because it was on during the summer and none of my usual shows are on during the summer. There was nothing else to watch. Definitely a 6-7. I'll go with 6.5. Interesting enough to keep me coming back, not interesting enough to tell other people "YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS ZOMG!!!!111!!"

I'm trying to think of other shows that I feel the same about but the only show I can come up with is "Sleepy Hollow." I'd say Sleepy Hollow is a notch more interesting than The Leftovers, if only because it has demons and other supernatural beings. The Leftovers doesn't have any headless horsemen (that I know of), just a bunch of crazy people.

Aaah I might give it a whirl as there's nothing much I'm really watching atm, while I am waiting for The Walking Dead, The Knick and a few others to come back.

Aaah I might give it a whirl as there's nothing much I'm really watching atm, while I am waiting for The Walking Dead, The Knick and a few others to come back.

It's a decent "waiting for better shows" show. Definitely give it at least 3 episodes. IIRC, the first episode was a lot of :wtf: because there's a lot going on, but it gets a little better. There are still a lot of wtf things I'm either too stupid to understand or the show people decided to actually do things that way, so while they do smooth out some things, they also (of course) create more wrinkles. That's how they keep us coming back and they got me. [emoji38]

The series has gone way off book now. I loved the book, wasn't sure how it would translate to TV, but the first season was pretty watchable. The second season, not sure where it's coming from.

So I say to Husband last night "I might watch The Leftovers to kill time till Everything Else™ starts" and he says lazily "Yeah? How come? I thought you weren't fussed about it?" and I say " Eh..I dunno...ChaCha says it's worth a try, so I might give it a go".

Silence. More silence. I look at him and he's looking blankly back at me and says "Who?" and I say "You know, CallMeCh...Oh..."

*crickets chirping*

I need to get out more...

S..." Eh..I dunno...ChaCha says it's worth a try, so I might give it a go".

Silence. More silence. I look at him and he's looking blankly back at me and says "Who?" and I say "You know, CallMeCh...Oh..."

*crickets chirping*

My family and I describe them as my "imaginary friends", though a group of us have been chatting on various media for about 10 years - oh, and some of us have met, too. But they're still, affectionately, known in our family as my imaginary friends. ;)

Archived