IGNORED

The Leftovers: the rapture, HBO-style

Geechee Girl

The show is based off the book, correct? My hubs told me last season that we'd never find out what happened to the people who departed. Which pisses me off! Though with so much more going on this season, I guess it's taken a back seat. 

How will Kevin come back to life? 

Have you guys really listened to the theme song? At first I hated it but then they had Iris DeMent on NPR so I sought out the song and kind of love it. It's the perfect description of how I feel about about religion/the afterlife. Turns out the song was from the 90s! I was too young to appreciate that genre then. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The show is based off the book, correct? My hubs told me last season that we'd never find out what happened to the people who departed. Which pisses me off! Though with so much more going on this season, I guess it's taken a back seat. 

How will Kevin come back to life? 

Have you guys really listened to the theme song? At first I hated it but then they had Iris DeMent on NPR so I sought out the song and kind of love it. It's the perfect description of how I feel about about religion/the afterlife. Turns out the song was from the 90s! I was too young to appreciate that genre then. 

Yes, the show is based off the book.  The entire first season was from the book and ended the same way as the book, so everything after (season 2 and on) is "new" material.

I'm curious how Kevin will come back to life, too.  Maybe they'll bury him and he'll survive like the bird?? Although, the bird ended up dying, so... hmm maybe not.

I can't stand the song.  It bothers me so much and I have no idea why :pb_lol: I'm just petty.

@CallmeChaCha-- I came here to say literally the same thing. 

What the fuuuuuuuck was that episode?

The funny part is that i wrote that way before I finished watching the episode. I felt like we should've been high while watching this. Snort some Pixie Sticks. SOMETHING.

spoiler:

At least now we know Kevin doesn't die. Well, he did die but he came back to life. Like the bird Regina King's character buried (her name escapes me).

The scene with Kevin's dad was... Well, the whole episode was wtf. I can't pick a "best WTF moment".

And now we sort of know what that weird ass cavewoman shit at the beginning was about. Just a metaphor. The day people departed was like the cave falling in, and the cavewoman leaving and trying to find shelter is everyone else (the "leftovers") moving on with their lives. Or some such metaphorizing.

2 more episodes left.

Edit: I just thought -- to answer your question ("wtf was that") the episode reminded me of ads I used to see in high school "this is your brain on drugs." Yup. This episode was somebody's brain on drugs.

I felt like I was watching some sort of eternal sunshine of the spotless mind or inception shit, @CallmeChaCha

Patti as a girl was reading from the brochure about how the indigenous people built that well, right? I thought that's how it linked back to the season opener and the weird cave people. I made the bird and Kevin being buried connection but what about the grandpa? Does he keep coming back to life too? The grandson seemed really surprised there at the end. Why can't we remember any of these minor characters names? So many questions. 

I felt like I was watching some sort of eternal sunshine of the spotless mind or inception shit, @CallmeChaCha

Patti as a girl was reading from the brochure about how the indigenous people built that well, right? I thought that's how it linked back to the season opener and the weird cave people. I made the bird and Kevin being buried connection but what about the grandpa? Does he keep coming back to life too? The grandson seemed really surprised there at the end. Why can't we remember any of these minor characters names? So many questions. 

Vanilla Sky. That's my go-to "WTF" movie example.

When the little girl said "in-diggen-ous" (lol) I was thinking indigenous not more than a few hundred years ago, not cave people from whenever cave people existed. Were cave people religious? This well thing sounded like a religious thing.

I'm going to say "no" on the grandpa coming back to life. He drank the water. (And what was that all about, anyway!?)

Characters:

Regina King - Erika

Erika's son - Michael

Grandpa - Virgil (according to Wikipedia)

What.

The.

Ever-loving.

Fuck.

I fixed it for you.  I'm not exactly sure what it is I just watched.  I really want to know why one isn't supposed to drink the water.

I have no clue how they are going to wrap this up in 2 episodes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have one episode to go (Season 2 finale) and I totally love this show. I don't understand everything, and I don't actually know why I love it so, but I do.

Maybe it's Justin Theroux's abs? Nah, it's more than that...

It's a show about the people leftover from a rapture-like event - NOT the event itself. It's about the idea of getting undeniable proof of the supernatural in the world, but getting no answers in relationship to it.

It's about how the concept of a Biblical rapture doesn't lead towards a sudden mass rush towards churches and repentance, but anger, confusion, and sadness.

There was one scene that perfectly summarized it: A guy is shot, has a crazy afterlife experience, is brought back from the dead, and his only thought towards it all is "I have no idea what the fuck it all means".

You're not supposed to watch it to figure the event out, because the writers have intentionally inserted contradictory details about it to make it unsolvable. It's about the characters.

It also will get just one more season and that is it.

Archived