IGNORED

Bates Updates

BirthingGodsWarriors

Love that this was posted under the "Resources" tab:

Disclaimer:

There are no perfect people, no perfect churches, and no perfect ministries. Often in our zeal to point out the errors and faults in others, we fail to consume the good that could make a lasting difference in our lives. Our goal is to put aside our natural inclinations to criticize, being willing, rather, to analyze with wisdom and discernment: recognizing and dismissing those things that do not bear witness, but embracing those that are truth! With that thought in mind, we must include a disclaimer that we do not adhere to every belief that may be presented in these resources, but we have found some help and value through them, so we share them with you in hopes that you too might be blessed.

Translation: Some of the resources listed below endorse a ministry that is under investigation for sexual misconduct. Because Gill is on the board, we fully understand the accusations surrounding said ministry and the harm that it has caused many young women and families, yet we're still going to advertise it on our blog :doh:

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nathan and Tori are both taking classes at Crown College. That's great, better than wasting time at home like other adult children of mega families (who will remain unnamed). Nathan for pastoral studies and it doesn't say what Tori is working toward. I downloaded the course catalog for this past academic year to see what classes were required when it came to general education: Grammar and Composition, History of Civilization, Introductory Algebra, Speech, American Literature, and some others with a church spin on it. Church Finance, anyone? Not as awful as I had imagined.

I liked Kelly mentioning that Michael is working as a full time nanny in the update too. I'm sure she will quit once she is married but it is good to know the Bates are encouraging both the boys & girls to work. Alyssa was working in a florist shop before she married & Erin was (& still is) teaching piano. The Bates seem practical about the fact that they can't afford to support several stay-at-home daughters. It also helps some of the kids are getting married & moving out. Of course, I wish marriage wasn't their only option but you have to be grateful for the small things. I hope this will prevent them from depending on Lawson so much in the future.

The only times I've ever seen Michelle working one-on-one with the kids like that were with Johannah, James and Jackson and each time it was sooo awkward! It was so obvious she was just doing it for the camera. James was going crazy trying to sit still and eventually just started wandering around ignoring her. Jackson was looking at her like, "Yeah right. As soon as the camera is off, you'll be on to something else".

Love that this was posted under the "Resources" tab:

Disclaimer:

There are no perfect people, no perfect churches, and no perfect ministries. Often in our zeal to point out the errors and faults in others, we fail to consume the good that could make a lasting difference in our lives. Our goal is to put aside our natural inclinations to criticize, being willing, rather, to analyze with wisdom and discernment: recognizing and dismissing those things that do not bear witness, but embracing those that are truth! With that thought in mind, we must include a disclaimer that we do not adhere to every belief that may be presented in these resources, but we have found some help and value through them, so we share them with you in hopes that you too might be blessed.

Translation: Some of the resources listed below endorse a ministry that is under investigation for sexual misconduct. Because Gill is on the board, we fully understand the accusations surrounding said ministry and the harm that it has caused many young women and families, yet we're still going to advertise it on our blog :doh:

That disclaimer has been there for a while, and definitely predates (the most recent, at least) Gothard scandal.

I've never been an Erin-hater, so I'm glad to see her come out and redeem herself! As someone who spends a lot of time and money on my make-up and hair because I genuinely enjoy it, it does bother me when women are judged because of how they style themselves...and I feel like Erin has been a victim of that a bit. Also, full disclosure, I think Erin has a great look, and I would be blessed if God laid it on her heart to do youtube hair tutorials.

Now, after being incredibly pretentious about snarking on appearances, allow me to move on to snarking on appearances.

Erin has noticeably gained weight, though not too much that it's a bad thing. It just seems like a trend we're starting to see here of Fundie kids gaining weight rather rapidly after marriage:

Josh

Zach

Erin

Will Alyssa and Jill? Jessa?

I think for the girls it's understandable (babies and such), but when it's both genders, I feel like there might be another component. Unhealthy meals with no large family to restrict portion size? Finally eating as much as you want after years of not feeling full because there was only so much to go around? Absolutely no nutritional education? Feeling like they can "let themselves go"?

Also, full disclosure, I think Erin has a great look, and I would be blessed if God laid it on her heart to do youtube hair tutorials.

I, too, would LOVE this. How on earth does she get that much body? I would love to know...

I'm reading the "About Us" page. She says more about her first 3 kids than Michelle can say about all 19 of hers. Michelle "James..............is.... BUSY!" Duggar, Mother of the Year! Mmmhm.

I don't think Erin has gained any weight. She looks as slim as she always has.

To me, it seems mostly the men that gain weight, and even then those that do have a bit of a softness to them before marriage that makes it seem they likely they are prone to gain weight. Both Josh and Zach had that. I think John and Joseph Duggar do, too, but not Josiah, Chad, Derick or John Webster.

The women tend to stay mostly thin, I think, with some fluctuations caused by pregnancy. Anna has a bit of a belly, but that's not unusual in someone that has had 3 babies - otherwise she's still slender.

Alyssa, Jill and Jessa are slender and I think, generally, they will stay that way for a few years, outside of a limp belly from pregnancy.

I think the men gain weight because they suddenly are able to command whatever they want to eat, and they simply don't have the metabolisms or will power to work out to cope with the increase in calories. The women, meanwhile, probably still feel pressure to stay thin, and therefore work to keep their figures by eating smaller portions.

I will also add I don't think the reason Erin's hair is snarked on is because she spends time on it. I'm sure all of her sisters spend time on their hair.

I think it's snarked on because she goes with such unusual styles, so it's obvious she's trying to stand out and getting attention for her hair. None of her sisters do such unusual things with their hair.

I've never been an Erin-hater, so I'm glad to see her come out and redeem herself! As someone who spends a lot of time and money on my make-up and hair because I genuinely enjoy it, it does bother me when women are judged because of how they style themselves...and I feel like Erin has been a victim of that a bit. Also, full disclosure, I think Erin has a great look, and I would be blessed if God laid it on her heart to do youtube hair tutorials.

Now, after being incredibly pretentious about snarking on appearances, allow me to move on to snarking on appearances.

Erin has noticeably gained weight, though not too much that it's a bad thing. It just seems like a trend we're starting to see here of Fundie kids gaining weight rather rapidly after marriage:

Josh

Zach

Erin

I think for the girls it's understandable (babies and such), but when it's both genders, I feel like there might be another component. Unhealthy meals with no large family to restrict portion size? Finally eating as much as you want after years of not feeling full because there was only so much to go around? Absolutely no nutritional education? Feeling like they can "let themselves go"?

In the comments on Chad's blog she said her next contribution to the blog will be a hair tutorial video! I was way too excited when I read that.

Josh

Zach

Erin

I agree about Erin's styling :D

I don't see why people find the tendency to gain some weight after marriage such a big deal wouldn't it be basically their version of the famous " freshman 15" for young people who go away to college?

I will also add I don't think the reason Erin's hair is snarked on is because she spends time on it. I'm sure all of her sisters spend time on their hair.

I think it's snarked on because she goes with such unusual styles, so it's obvious she's trying to stand out and getting attention for her hair. None of her sisters do such unusual things with their hair.

Yeah that. It's just so huge and bubble-like...and the curls at the bottom are weird! A nice crown braid would take more time but looks so much nicer in my opinion. Or heck.... leave it down!

When I see this pictures I really wonder why TLC dumped them. They seem much more interesting than the Duggar family. And you can really feel how close they all are. I remember one episode when the Duggars went to DC to visit Smuggar & family. Josh gave Boob his hand and then sort of side hugged him and J-Chelle. Awkward. Duggars seem to feel not too comfortable when it comes to hugging another family member. With the Bateses it comes across much more natural.

I haven't noticed any weight gain in Erin but Zach definitely has gained a little. Kelly mentioned in the comments of the one of their posts that Alyssa has become interested in healthier food. In the comments of Chad's blog, Erin said they try to eat a salad at least once a day, drink a lot water, & try to avoid fried foods. To be honest, her & Chad are probably doing better than me on that point!

Kelly the matchmaker should have said Lawson is already capable of supporting a family, making him prime headship material :P

Yeah that. It's just so huge and bubble-like...and the curls at the bottom are weird! A nice crown braid would take more time but looks so much nicer in my opinion. Or heck.... leave it down!

Erin does occasionally do the hair braid at her forehead.she had it at her wedding.

IA about her curls....I keep wanting to take my fingers and fluff the curls out.It looks like she just takes the rollers out and leaves her hair that way without combing/fluffing it at all.I can't imagine doing that.I like for mine to have a natural wave look after I remove rollers.I at least run my fingers thru them to give them that not so roller look.

I can see Alyssa going to work out, reading whatever she wants, and quite possibly watching some TV.

yes and Alyssa has such a cute figure.I hope she considers bikini shopping sometime,laying out on the beach,bopping to some fun rock/pop tunes on the beach or car radio,and glasses of wine/a martini/cocktail,etc with dinner.She deserves to have some fun after being raised so conservatively,it won't harm her nor anyone else,and she's expected to pop out a brood of kids so I hope she has as much fun as possible bf that! :)

Archived