IGNORED

Bates Updates

BirthingGodsWarriors

Roller paper aka end wraps are used to protect hair from damage from the sponge by either wrapping the sponge w/paper then rolling or folding the paper over the end of the hair to be rolled. The papers can also be used to prevent creases in the hair from the plastic clasp of the roller frame. There are many vintage roller set hair tutorials on YT.

A 1000-sheet box is $2-$5 at Sally's or Amazon.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Jumbo-End-Wr ... lt,pd.html

Proclaim Setting Lotion is budget-friendly and lasts a long time as a little goes a long way. I've used it on Caucasian and African-American hair textures.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Proclaim-Set ... lt,pd.html

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erin looks slim to me too... I think those types of sleeves aren't terribly flattering when it comes to the arms.

Erin's pronunciation of 'oil' is exactly like some older people in my region ( central Nova Scotia). They are of German & Swiss ancestry.

ETA: Should have said, in only 2 villages do you hear this. The surrounding villages don't have the same dialect(?).

I live in Nova Scotia as well. Such a mishmash of accents here. I haven't heard anyone say oil like that but I'm not surprised there are a couple of spots that do.

Glad to hear of these roller papers. I was thinking about how bald I might get trying this...

Could someone in the know with sponge rollers give me some advice? Would it be a good idea if one were to have, say, shoulder length hair, to go with a smaller roller than the ones that Erin used?

I actually really enjoyed that. She could definitely be a Youtube video blogger. I also think she is a lot more attractive in motion than in still photographs.

Just a suggestion for people looking for No-Heat curls. Try Headband Curls. It's cheap and all you need is an elastic headband. I don't even need mousse and my hair is dead straight. They are quite tight in the morning but relax nicely during the day.

Could someone in the know with sponge rollers give me some advice? Would it be a good idea if one were to have, say, shoulder length hair, to go with a smaller roller than the ones that Erin used?

The size of the roller depends on the type of curl you're going for. The smaller diameter rollers will produce a tighter curl, while larger ones make bigger, loose curls. Also, by adjusting the number of sections to be rolled controls the outcome. In pageantry, the entire head is rolled all the way up to the scalp in very small sections (more rollers) to produce more volume.

I think it would be hilarious if Erin's hairstyle became a big trend not due to her fundie followers -- but due to freejinger :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eta: not putting down the trend...I like her hair and think they are an adorable couple

Just a suggestion for people looking for No-Heat curls. Try Headband Curls. It's cheap and all you need is an elastic headband. I don't even need mousse and my hair is dead straight. They are quite tight in the morning but relax nicely during the day.

That looks awesome. I can't imagine it would work for my hair, but I'm willing to try! Is your hair damp when put it in the headband thing?

I, Too, was skeptical about the headband curl technique. But A: It looks cute as hell when setting, and B: you do it damp and the curls are nice and tight and look cute as hell when they're dry. Its a win win technique.

I, Too, was skeptical about the headband curl technique. But A: It looks cute as hell when setting, and B: you do it damp and the curls are nice and tight and look cute as hell when they're dry. Its a win win technique.

Great to see it worked for you despite skepticism! Seriously, if this works, it might change my life. I need to fry the hell out of my hair and use pounds of product to get it to hold curl for more than five minutes. For the last four years, my hairstyles have been 1) straight, 2) ponytail, and 3) bun.

Like, this could seriously be a new era in my life.

^ Me too. My hair will be in curlers or braids or wat have you for hours or even overnight and come out nice and curly. One little finger-comb stroke and the curl is gone.

I usually do a ponytail, a bun (Remington has bun makers that are awesome! My hair is too slippery to do sock buns but the bun maker is perfect!), Heidi braids (2 braids wrapped over the top of my head and bobby pinned into place), or lately I've gotten into tichels. I put my hair in a bun, tie on a tichel, and I don't have to worry about my hair tangling AND I love the way they look!

I tried for years to get my hair to hold curl. I tried curling iron and hot rollers but without a tin of hairspray it doesn't hold. This works the best. Although my hair isn't very long I have shit loads of it so I do two headbands. Depending how many sections you do, how tight, and how long its in for depends what type of curl/wave you get. You don't need it damp but it does work well with damp hair especially if you only have time to have it in for a few hours. If I have plans after work I do it tight the night before and let it naturally drop out throughout the day. They're very comfortable to sleep in. Plus it works on medium length hair which a lot of heatless curling techniques don't.

I think Erin's hairstyle is a bit weird. I'd wrap the bottom a little bit higher- at least chin length to give it a bit more curl. But that's personal preference.

^ Me too. My hair will be in curlers or braids or wat have you for hours or even overnight and come out nice and curly. One little finger-comb stroke and the curl is gone.

I usually do a ponytail, a bun (Remington has bun makers that are awesome! My hair is too slippery to do sock buns but the bun maker is perfect!), Heidi braids (2 braids wrapped over the top of my head and bobby pinned into place), or lately I've gotten into tichels. I put my hair in a bun, tie on a tichel, and I don't have to worry about my hair tangling AND I love the way they look!

I wore Heidi and coronet braids in high school until one very hot summer (even for Australia) I got sick of the length and cut it off. I've regretted it ever since. My hair never grows to that length no matter what I try now. It's been ten years and I can only get it to my collarbone.

I watched Erin's hair tutorial and since she wears rollers, I wonder if she wears a bonnet or a silk scarf over her hair at night? She's a ~married woman~ and she may roll her hair one night and then engage in "sweet fellowship" with Chad and mess it up. However, at the end of the video, she indicates that she sleeps just fine with the rollers.

I'm guessing she gave the rollers a break for her honeymoon tho?

My hair won't grow out anymore either.It seems to be aan age/genetic thing.I had long hair in my 20's.thenn 30's it just stopped growing much beyond shoulder length.Fundies seem to be lucky in that dept,so far.

OHMYGOSH HEADBAND CURLS ARE MAGIC!!!!11!!1!!!

Seriously, they worked for me. We'll see how they hold. But for the first time I tried them, they look great!

I see Chad will be the best man at his brother Thomas's wedding in September: /www.theknot.com/wedding/Dakota-and-Thomas/view/4673334352076596/42512371

So I expect a road trip, with an obligatory stop to visit the Duggars

Great demos of no-heat curls. Ironically, the first two videos were produced by the very popular Mormon fundie, Mindy, from Cute Girls Hairstyles. :clap:

Headband curls:

Cacoon curls:

The easiest (tested, works great) sock bun method:

Dakota and Sierra are pretty recognizable "western" names. I hear Sierra a lot in the SF Bay Area, as well. Asia seems a little more unusual, but not unheard of, again, in the bay area.

As for the rest of the wedding party, Joseph Miller is married to a Webster daughter, unless it's a different Joe Miller. Does anyone have deets on Hannah Loo or Rodrigo Garcia?

Sierra is a very common name (well, okay, not as common as Anna.) I should know, we have one (spelled Cierah, and named by her biological maternal great grandmother.) There are tons of Sierras and Cierras out there.

Erin's pronunciation of 'oil' is exactly like some older people in my region ( central Nova Scotia). They are of German & Swiss ancestry.

ETA: Should have said, in only 2 villages do you hear this. The surrounding villages don't have the same dialect(?).

That's how many Southerners pronounce "oil"

OHMYGOSH HEADBAND CURLS ARE MAGIC!!!!11!!1!!!

Seriously, they worked for me. We'll see how they hold. But for the first time I tried them, they look great!

Let us know how they do!

Let us know how they do!

They held surprisingly well! I need to get hairspray-- that will give them the little extra hold they need. They were also a little frizzy, but I think that was due to them being tucked a little messily into the headband.

Archived