IGNORED

Bates Updates

BirthingGodsWarriors

Why is everybody talking about Carlin courting? Tori turns 19 this December, let's stalk her love life instead!

Wow I just realized that there are no twins in the Bates bunch?

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked the video, Erin came across very natural (more so than on tv). It's a treat for me to hear a Southern accent, especially the way she pronounces "oil." She could totally become a lifestyle vlogger.

I never would have guessed Erin used so few rollers in her hair. She could be the fundie face of YouTube hair & make-up tutorials. Snaps to her for her choice of Celtic background music.

Erin's pronunciation of 'oil' is exactly like some older people in my region ( central Nova Scotia). They are of German & Swiss ancestry.

ETA: Should have said, in only 2 villages do you hear this. The surrounding villages don't have the same dialect(?).

What I find funny about this video is how much product she uses. For a very long time, when people asked, Kelly insisted Erin's hair just naturally held curl and Erin didn't do much to it besides put it in rollers. Well, that's obviously bull.

Not that I think there is anything wrong with Erin using that much product, but it's just such an odd thing for Kelly to lie about.

Interesting quote from Erin on the site, in answer to a question about teaching, "Yes, I really want to teach piano for the rest of my life! I love teaching, and I couldn't imagine myself not teaching!"

Hmm...I think I am joining the "Erin Bates/Paine is a badass" bandwagon!

ETA: Maybe my avatar should try this tutorial. Her dried out 1982 'do is getting a little tired!

What I find funny about this video is how much product she uses. For a very long time, when people asked, Kelly insisted Erin's hair just naturally held curl and Erin didn't do much to it besides put it in rollers. Well, that's obviously bull.

Not that I think there is anything wrong with Erin using that much product, but it's just such an odd thing for Kelly to lie about.

She doesn't seem to use a ton of product, and doesn't seem to have to douse it in hair spray. Her hair obviously holds a curl, because my hair would need a hell of a lot more in order to stay like hers does. I don't think Kelly is lying, I just think that definitions of "a lot of product" are different. Mullet and Jim Bob use a lot of product, IMO, Erin uses a normal amount.

Erin was careful to say just get your fingers sticky with the mousse and not to overdo it. My hair would need more mousse than that to take a curl especially with oil on it also.

Wow, Erin has a normal voice! I've only ever heard her do squeaky-weird voice before...

I don't know about Arkansas homeschool law, but the law in Tennessee says 4 hours a day for 180 days a year. I homeschool my two children and believe me, you can get a lot done in 4 hours. Of course, I only homeschool two, not ten or however many Michelle and Kelly are still homeschooling. One of the advantages of homeschooling (and one of the reasons you can get so much done in 4 hours) is the low teacher-student ratio. That's just my experience.

My public school attending kids (in CA) get 4-5 hours a day, minus lunch, recess or passing periods... my school aged kids are in 3rd, 7th, 9th and 12th grades. Same 180 days per year.

I suspect since she's schooling for more than one grade level for so many kids (she's still got 9-10 school aged kids), that those 4 hours are probably not enough.

It actually seemed like not much product at all. A bit of oil and a bit of mousse.

I don't think Kelly ever claimed that Erin's poofy hairstyle with the bouncy curls was natural? That would be a bit outrageous. I remember her claiming the colour was natural, but not the curliness.

Holding curl also has little to do with natural curliness. A bit of mousse and oil would not keep curl in my hair for an hour let alone two days. Erin's hair might not be naturally curly but if she has a bit of a wave then that might help with keeping the curls.

She doesn't seem to use a ton of product, and doesn't seem to have to douse it in hair spray. Her hair obviously holds a curl, because my hair would need a hell of a lot more in order to stay like hers does. I don't think Kelly is lying, I just think that definitions of "a lot of product" are different. Mullet and Jim Bob use a lot of product, IMO, Erin uses a normal amount.

Yeah, I also think Kelly was using "product" to more specifically mean hairspray. For a lot of people to get and hold curls like that they would be using half a bottle of hairspray and the resulting hair would be able to deflect bullets. Erin seems to use very little hairspray, if any at all and her hair comes out still very soft and flexible.

I need to know how she gets so much volume at the crown of her head (though it looks like much of it is natural). I don't care if my hair is straight or curly, but I want volume like that without little baby hairs sticking out everywhere!

I'm surprised but glad to see she sleeps in the rollers.I was thinking she might be afraid to let her hub see his new bride in curlers,but that is not the case. :)

Seriously, I want to try to curl my hair with rollers now. My hair doesn't hold curl well, but I have noticed that if I sleep with a ponytail, I can't get the bump out of my hair till I shower again. So maybe with time and a little mousse, my hair will want to stay that way.

And it's cheap, good for your hair, and doesn't use a lot of product.

I'm really excited about this!

Haven't seen the video but am glad that Erin found a good husband in Chad and he supports her. Always got a good vibe from him through his posts, he seems considerate and a bit humble. Glad Erin didn't end up with some insufferable type like Pecan Thief.

They seem to be enjoying some time together and perhaps Erin has adjusted to being in her own home, without a bunch of people around. I would think transitioning from a bustling household that she's lived in all her life to a slower, quieter life as a bit of an adjustment at first.

Seriously, I want to try to curl my hair with rollers now. My hair doesn't hold curl well, but I have noticed that if I sleep with a ponytail, I can't get the bump out of my hair till I shower again. So maybe with time and a little mousse, my hair will want to stay that way.

Rollers are OK, I guess, but I never could see how my sister could sleep in them. Talk about uncomfortable!

This has probably already been mentioned, but I believe her hair is chemically lightened and chemically treated hair holds curl better if I remember correctly. Something to do with the cuticle being slightly roughed up? She also probably uses a good shampoo and conditioner and maybe dry shampoo inbetween (as to not have to wash it so much which keeps it from overly drying out. Her hair looks to be in really good condition so the girl knows what she's doing. Her style is nice, she's got beautiful skin and has a nice, light natural touch with the makeup. No self tanner there. Go for that vlog Erin! And I agree about Chad, he appears to be a very nice, very hot young man. :D

Ponytail bump is the bane of my existence. I get the damn thing even when I leave my hair down.

I would caution if using sponge rollers, protect your hair with roller papers first. Also, curls get great hold when rolled with setting lotion.

I would caution if using sponge rollers, protect your hair with roller papers first. Also, curls get great hold when rolled with setting lotion.

Tell me more! What are roller papers and why do I need them? Can I find setting lotion easily and is it cheap? Does it take the place of the mousse/hairspray Erin talks about or is it used in conjunction with them?

EDIT: Looked up why foam rollers can hurt hair. Would it work to cover the foam part with plastic wrap or something? I'm a cheap-ass!

Archived