IGNORED

Arndts' favorite films

rural juror

Phillip Arndt posted:

As a friend and I were corresponding about our favorite movies, I quickly compiled this unofficial list. All of the films turned out to be made between the ’30s and the ’60s.

What would you add or subtract from this list?

(COLOR)

Swiss Family Robinson (1960)

North to Alaska (1960)

Send Me No Flowers (1964)

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

The Quiet Man (1952)

Support Your Local Sheriff (1969)

(BLACK & WHITE)

Duck Soup (1933)

It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)

The More the Merrier (1943)

Christmas in Connecticut (1945)

Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)

Bringing Up Baby (1938)

Sergeant York (1941)

The Bishop’s Wife (1947)

I guess we knew that the Arndts mostly watched old films (undoubtedly ones that Rick liked growing up) and a few more recent PG-rated animated ones. I wonder how many films they've seen from the 70s-2000s period. There are tons of movies from that era that I think they would enjoy and not be traumatized by (Sandlot, Mighty Ducks, etc). I wonder if they're not allowed to watch any, or do they just genuinely prefer older films (nothing really wrong with that)? Most likely, Rick has no interest in those types of movies, and since the manboys have no independent thought, they're just going along with it.

Some of the listed movies are true classics, and among some of the best movies made. I've always hated Send Me No Flowers, however.

Even the kid type movies have occasional bad words thrown in there-mostly name calling. They also have bad things such as divorced parents, kids lying to parents, parents not having the hearts of their children, older sibling who attend college or don't live at home (gasp!), drinking, kids who have friends outside of the family, immodest attire.... so I don't think they would be acceptable. Probably nothing after the 60s.

Who's the friend he was "corresponding" with? Another brother? Are they allowed to have friends outside the family?

ETA: I agree many of these are classics. I really like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. I watch Casablanca every time it's on TV, but that's probably too defrauding for them :lol:

The More The Merrier is about a single woman living in DC who agrees to sublet her apartment during the WW2 housing shortage, and her roommate winds up being a man. Hijinks ensue.

Surprised "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" isn't on there.

I'm not surprised at all. They wouldn't want those man-boys to get the idea they should be off finding wives instead of staying home with mom, dad and the penguins.

I love The More The Merrier, but then I love pretty much anything that Jean Arthur is in. Jean get not one, but two male tenants in the film. The first sublet sublets his half of the apartment to a younger man who falls for the unhappily engaged to a very boring guy. Hilarity ensues as they try to juggle schedules and Jean and Joel McCrea try to juggle their new-found feeling for each other. Charles Coburn won a Oscar for his role as Mr Dingle.

Btw, Christmas in Connecticut comes on TCM at 8:00 this evening

I love Bringing Up Baby. I wonder if they fast-forward through the cross-dressing scene.

And I bet they don't laugh nearly as hard at the jokes about the paleontologist's missing bone as less sheltered people would.

Phillip Arndt posted:

I guess we knew that the Arndts mostly watched old films (undoubtedly ones that Rick liked growing up) and a few more recent PG-rated animated ones. I wonder how many films they've seen from the 70s-2000s period. There are tons of movies from that era that I think they would enjoy and not be traumatized by (Sandlot, Mighty Ducks, etc). I wonder if they're not allowed to watch any, or do they just genuinely prefer older films (nothing really wrong with that)? Most likely, Rick has no interest in those types of movies, and since the manboys have no independent thought, they're just going along with it.

Isn't there a girl in "The Mighty Ducks"?!?! Girls can't play hockey!!! :pink-shock:

I'm not surprised at all. They wouldn't want those man-boys to get the idea they should be off finding wives instead of staying home with mom, dad and the penguins.

Hah, doesn't this movie involve the brothers kidnapping the brides and forcing them to all live with the brothers on their big weird family farm? And eventually the girls get over the whole kidnapping thing and fall madly in love with the brothers? This sounds perfect for the Arndts!

I'm surprised Cheaper by the Dozen isn't on there! lol That is my grandpa's favorite. :-) What about the Shirley Temple movies? Certainly those would pass the requirements. Oh, and of course Bells on Their Toes to follow CbtD. Yours, Mine, and Ours is another oldie but goodie I love. Weren't they both widowers? Certainly, that should be acceptable in Arndt land?

Phillip Arndt posted:

Here's my suggestions for their future viewing pleasure.

(COLOR)

Psycho (1998)

(BLACK AND WHITE)

Psycho (1960)

Seriously, their relationship with their parents is fucking psycho.

Here's my suggestions for their future viewing pleasure.

(COLOR)

Psycho (1998)

(BLACK AND WHITE)

Psycho (1960)

Seriously, their relationship with their parents is fucking psycho.

The Psycho remake is pretty trifling. What about Flowers in the Attic?

The Psycho remake is pretty trifling. What about Flowers in the Attic?

That one would work too. I haven't actually seen the remake of Psycho, I just put it in there because their relationship with their mother creeps me the fuck out. :)

I have no clue what the Arndts' criteria for a good movie is but I can't believe these films aren't on their list:

Ben-Hur (1959)

Spartacus (1960)

The Apartment (1960)

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

North By Northwest (1959)

The Philadelphia Story (1940)

The Maltese Falcon (1940)

To Kill A Mockingbird (1962)

E.T. The Extraterrestrial (1982)

The Grapes of Wrath (1940)

It's A Wonderful Life (1946)

Sunset Blvd. (1950)

Singin' in the Rain (1952)

No Sound of Music? I thought that was a fundie staple.

What no "The Bad Seed". That would traumatize the manboys FOREVER. Rhoda Penmark was one evil girl. :lol:

Send Me No Flowers, really? Pillow Talk was a better movie. I am sure the irony of Doris Day choosing Rock Hudson over Tony Randall would be lost on them. :lol:

I think they should watch some Rocky Horror Picture Show.

:popcorn2:

Or A Clockwork Orange. :dance:

I love Bringing Up Baby. I wonder if they fast-forward through the cross-dressing scene.

And I bet they don't laugh nearly as hard at the jokes about the paleontologist's missing bone as less sheltered people would.

Of course, they fast-forward through that scene. Can't have the boys seeing Cary Grant wearing Katharine Hepburn's frilly bathrobe, can we?

_A8U6aUPW48

Archived