IGNORED

Lori Alexander - No fat chicks....REALLY

Although it is not used as much anymore, the bolded phrase is another one that implies that thin women are not really women. I have never been bigger than a size 6 (and have been much smaller than that) and at 5'7"ish, that makes me relatively thin. I do however have all the things that make up a woman--even boobs and hips. So what part of a figure am I missing? We need to stop drawing lines about weight and body type that even imply that there is one acceptable way to be female.

Actually, I mistyped, I meant a fuller figured woman. I don't think I've heard the term "fully figured"....that seems like an odd turn of words . OTOH, I'm not particularly sensitive to these semantics as I grew up being called "skinny" in the US and "fat" in my my native China. I've never felt like more or less a woman because people were describing how much fat they perceived me to have.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I mistyped, I meant a fuller figured woman. I don't think I've heard the term "fully figured"....that seems like an odd turn of words . OTOH, I'm not particularly sensitive to these semantics as I grew up being called "skinny" in the US and "fat" in my my native China. I've never felt like more or less a woman because people were describing how much fat they perceived me to have.

I was called "tapeworm". In 6th grade, the science teacher joined in because she thought it was wonderful that they applied something from class to a cruel nickname. When my parents complained to the principal, they were told that stopping it would hurt the feelings of the overweight kids. Their right to make themselves feel better by harassing me was paramount.

I would say how much my SO loves this fat chick, but that would be TMI and over-sharing.

I was called "tapeworm". In 6th grade, the science teacher joined in because she thought it was wonderful that they applied something from class to a cruel nickname. When my parents complained to the principal, they were told that stopping it would hurt the feelings of the overweight kids. Their right to make themselves feel better by harassing me was paramount.

That's awful!! What a particularly disgusting comparison. I think some teachers have been doing it so long, they forget they're working with actual human beings. In 10th grade, during a history lesson on Nazi Germany, my teacher pointed me out as "looking like a Hitler youth" and "an Aryan ideal" while the class of predominantly Hispanic students stared at me in silence. Not only was this teacher a perv, but I was new to the school, and hadn't made any friends yet. I am shy and just desperately wanted to fit in. He mentioned it every day we worked on this lesson and told my parents "it was a compliment" when they complained. Yeah, to a racist ....

Archived