IGNORED

Lori thinks it's okay to hit a 5 month old with a switch

A baby has no idea what an electrical outlet is or why squirming while changing a diaper is inconvenient for you. You inflicting pain on them just scares and hurts them. It is never necessary. These people are mentally disturbed.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even the PP, in one of his sermons, talked about kids who were "too young to spank." He told a "funny" story about 18 month old Anna, who, although too young to spank, would settle down when she saw her mom get out the paddle for one of the older kids.

Nope. Etymologically, "infant" means "unable to speak," which is why the infant cutoff is around one year, when most wee ones learn to talk in understandable phrases and sentences. So unless Lori's kids talked at 5 mo., nope.

Lets not compound wrong with wrong. Yes, a five month old is an infant, and yes, that's the etymology, but no, the etymology has no special insight into the meaning of the word today. That's a fallacy.

After all, entry year of school in some areas is called "infants", even if the children are four or five years old, and "infantry" is related directly to the word "infant", even though of course no army really conscripts child soldiers quite that young (and they can all talk). Etymology is interesting, and sometimes it is helpful, but the real meaning of a word has to do with how we use it today - not its history.

Also, very, very few 12 month olds are using phrases and sentences. They're starting to use understandable words, but that's about it.

It's difficult to tell the difference between this and erotic spanking stories. When I was in high school, we had read with my friends a fetish erotic book on corporal punishment that we found at a friend's house. It was very strange, very peculiar, but we knew it was fiction. Here it is not fiction, and it's scary.

Even the PP, in one of his sermons, talked about kids who were "too young to spank." He told a "funny" story about 18 month old Anna, who, although too young to spank, would settle down when she saw her mom get out the paddle for one of the older kids.

PP is such a joker :cracking-up:

Spanking is easier than distracting and redirecting the child. My 15 month old grandson is VERY curious and pretty fearless. However, by distracting, redirecting and TEACHING him, he's actually a pretty good kid. He'll walk by something he knows he's not supposed to touch (Nona's curio cabinet) and shake his head "no". He knows he's not supposed to touch it, he's been taught. The only time he's ever had any pain inflicted on him was when he got a little too rough with his best buddy (one of our dogs) and got a little nip for it. No broken skin, just a little owie. He doesn't get rough with the dog anymore, heck, he goes in the dog's crate and hand feeds this big brute of a dog!

I cannot fathom hitting an infant with anything at all. The only spanking my kids got was the birth spank...however if I remember right, only one had to be startled into breathing.

The only spanking my kids got was the birth spank...however if I remember right, only one had to be startled into breathing.

For some reason that reminded me of a kind-of cute story: When I was a kid we used to go to the nearest beach once or twice a year. One time when I was around 8 years old, I got a grain of sand in my eye. We couldn't get it out with the tip of a tissue, etc. My mom told me that if I could cry, my tears would wash the sand out. However, I'm not the sort who cries easily, and I was not able to cry on demand.

So, my mom slapped me!

Tears welled up, sand washed out, and we all laughed. Long-lasting jokes ensued: "Cry, dammit, or I'll have to give you something to cry about." :lol:

For some reason that reminded me of a kind-of cute story: When I was a kid we used to go to the nearest beach once or twice a year. One time when I was around 8 years old, I got a grain of sand in my eye. We couldn't get it out with the tip of a tissue, etc. My mom told me that if I could cry, my tears would wash the sand out. However, I'm not the sort who cries easily, and I was not able to cry on demand.

So, my mom slapped me!

Tears welled up, sand washed out, and we all laughed. Long-lasting jokes ensued: "Cry, dammit, or I'll have to give you something to cry about." :lol:

When that sort of thing happened to me as a child, the adults just poured water over my eyes or, once I got older, directed me to the sink so I could do it myself. Although I remember the first chapter of Five Children and It, the baby got some sand in his eyes, so the children first tried washing it out with ginger ale (!) and then resorted to licking it out (!!!)

I love those books. They're a fine antidote to people who believe children in the Victorian era were always well behaved, all the time, and spent lots of time being supervised by their loving parents.

When that sort of thing happened to me as a child, the adults just poured water over my eyes or, once I got older, directed me to the sink so I could do it myself. Although I remember the first chapter of Five Children and It, the baby got some sand in his eyes, so the children first tried washing it out with ginger ale (!) and then resorted to licking it out (!!!)

I love those books. They're a fine antidote to people who believe children in the Victorian era were always well behaved, all the time, and spent lots of time being supervised by their loving parents.

You know, I'm sure that when something like that happened at home, I would have just had some water poured over my eye from a cup -- I guess because we were out on the beach away from a sink, that was all they could think of.

The whole "pain is needed" then, a minute later "it doesn't really hurt" contradiction is common in people who spank/whip/whatever.

Pearl himself has no fear of saying whatever is used should cause pain. He minimizes the amount of pain caused by some of his weapons, though, and claims kids quickly recover. And he does the "we're not causing permanent damage or marks" dance.

Of course, none of it is needed, and all of it is cruel and stupid. But you knew that.

And Lori Alexander is a pain-happy, whipping-obsessed monster.

Spanking is easier than distracting and redirecting the child. My 15 month old grandson is VERY curious and pretty fearless. However, by distracting, redirecting and TEACHING him, he's actually a pretty good kid. He'll walk by something he knows he's not supposed to touch (Nona's curio cabinet) and shake his head "no". He knows he's not supposed to touch it, he's been taught. The only time he's ever had any pain inflicted on him was when he got a little too rough with his best buddy (one of our dogs) and got a little nip for it. No broken skin, just a little owie. He doesn't get rough with the dog anymore, heck, he goes in the dog's crate and hand feeds this big brute of a dog!

I cannot fathom hitting an infant with anything at all. The only spanking my kids got was the birth spank...however if I remember right, only one had to be startled into breathing.

That is the right way to do it, but that requires patience, energy and endlessly repeating. The easy way for immediate result is spanking, however that has absolutely nothing to do with child rearing.It is a dressage model and not a very effective one, at least not in the long run.

People spanking (very young)children are immoral and reprehensible

I don't hit (spank) by daughter because I was hit (not spanked) while growing up. I decided long ago that I would NOT be that parent. Are there parents who can spank reasonably? Maybe, but I'm not so sure. And I never wanted to find out the hard way that I couldn't spank reasonably.

My dad (who did most of the hitting when I was growing up) and I were "talking" about parenting just a few weeks ago; he was singing the praises of Biblical spanking because that had been part of the Sunday sermon. I told him that in all honesty, parenting without spanking is much harder work, if done correctly, than parenting via spanking. He didn't get it--until I told him that I had to be vigilant 100% of my daughters waking hours to ensure that she didn't do things like climb the stairs, pull a hot pan off the stove, stick her finger in an outlet, etc. It was WORK for me to supervise and redirect. It was TIRING and EXHAUSTING and there were times that I wanted to beat my own head against the wall. But in the end, I can feel good about the parenting that I did, and the disciplining that I did (a few minutes in the play pen or time out when DD was little, time away from electronics and discussion--you know, like adults do--as a teen).

You don't HAVE to hit your kids. Lori Alexander, you are a sexual pervert AND a monster!

I don't hit (spank) by daughter because I was hit (not spanked) while growing up. I decided long ago that I would NOT be that parent. Are there parents who can spank reasonably? Maybe, but I'm not so sure. And I never wanted to find out the hard way that I couldn't spank reasonably.

My dad (who did most of the hitting when I was growing up) and I were "talking" about parenting just a few weeks ago; he was singing the praises of Biblical spanking because that had been part of the Sunday sermon. I told him that in all honesty, parenting without spanking is much harder work, if done correctly, than parenting via spanking. He didn't get it--until I told him that I had to be vigilant 100% of my daughters waking hours to ensure that she didn't do things like climb the stairs, pull a hot pan off the stove, stick her finger in an outlet, etc. It was WORK for me to supervise and redirect. It was TIRING and EXHAUSTING and there were times that I wanted to beat my own head against the wall. But in the end, I can feel good about the parenting that I did, and the disciplining that I did (a few minutes in the play pen or time out when DD was little, time away from electronics and discussion--you know, like adults do--as a teen).

You don't HAVE to hit your kids. Lori Alexander, you are a sexual pervert AND a monster!

Good for you for breaking the cycle!

My god, she and Ken don't give it a rest, do they? I've seen people say that they would give a swat "if necessary" for stuff like running in the street or yanking the cat's tail, but she and Ken are positively urging people to get out a rod and administer some pain to their kids.

My god, she and Ken don't give it a rest, do they? I've seen people say that they would give a swat "if necessary" for stuff like running in the street or yanking the cat's tail, but she and Ken are positively urging people to get out a rod and administer some pain to their kids.

I know! And you might disagree with the "sometimes it's necessary" approach, but at least the reasoning makes some sort of sense! Okay, if your kid will keep running towards the street and don't have a way to stop him, you might try anything. All right, if the alternative is your kid getting bit by the cat, you might try anything. I can see that.

But walloping away? From infancy? For little things and big things and dangerous things and annoying things and everything in between? I just don't understand.

My parents were also smacked as kids. I am forever thankful that they chose a different path. You rock for doing the same.

Let's do a completely non-scientific FJ poll to see if it is possible to raise normal, functional adults without spanking...

If you are a parent and do not spank your children or if you grew up in a non-spanking household, please answer the following questions:

1. Do your children (you) run into the street in front of cars?

2. Do your children (you) put their fingers in light sockets?

3. Are your children (you) generally polite/well-mannered in company?

4. Are your adult children (you) gainfully employed or seeking higher education?

5. Are your older children (you) currently drug addicts?

6. Are your school-age children (you) toilet trained?

My answers (for my children- my parents were occasional spankers) are:

1. no

2. no

3. yes

4. N/A

5. no

6. yes

I was spanked once and never again, my two younger brothers were never spanked. All 3 of us are awesome.

I'm 34 and I have got my finger in the socket controlled to once a week, I'm working on potty training myself, and I just like chasing cars down the street, okay???

4. Are your adult children (you) gainfully employed or seeking higher education?

1. Amazingly no. Never had a child run into the street, much less in front of cars.

2. Never had a child put a finger in a light socket. Bought these nifty little outlet covers to get us through the toddler years and never had a problem.

3. My kids are often complimented on their manners.

4. N/A

5. N/A (my oldest is only 10)

6. Yep. Didn't have any problems with it either. I bought a prize bucket and a toddler potty and they trained easily.

***side note to Lori*** I did/do not parent in a way that I find easiest and most convenient. I try to do what's best for my kids even if that means I have to get off my ass and do something...you know, like keeping a toddler from climbing a steep set of stairs. I don't even know anyone (and I know a lot of crappy parents) that would dream of hitting a 5 month old, or doesn't consider a 5 month old an infant. Every single person I know would report it for the abuse it is. Every parent I know fully expects taking care of a baby to be work. They expect to have to constantly be on the move, watching, monitoring, and redirecting. They do not hit their infants to avoid parenting.

I was thinking about how she calls children a blessing, but then when you look at how she parented she:

1. beat her children with a stap (strap is the word she used in a blog post)

2. "flicked" the cheeks of her nursing infants

3. let her babies cry it out from 3 weeks on

4. believed/believes that pain is good for children

5. practically rubbed her hands together in glee when her son force fed her granddaughter

Matter of fact, Lori is a walking contradiction. She prattles on and on about modesty, but then she talks about sex (constantly) and even commented on SSM's blog about Ken saying he would spank her. She makes me sick.

I didn't want my babies to bite me while I was nursing them, wiggle around while I changed their diaper, or putting things in electrical outlets.

I asked my parents, who spanked occasionally, though it was rare they ever did as they used and preferred other punishment methods, about this stuff. Mom said when her babies bit her when nursing, she removed them from her breast. They learned to stop biting because biting meant no milk. She was horrified when I mentioned the idea of switching infants for it. Same with wiggling babies and diapers. She said they do that when they become more mobile but she just held one hand on their stomach/chest and changed the diaper with the other. If her husband was home, he'd hold the baby and she'd change or vice versa. As for electrical outlets, she asked why they don't just use plugs? She did and her children never tried to put anything outlets, even when older and they were gone. My parents were baffled about that.

My parents never once hit us to stop us from running into the road, or regarding light switches, to behave in public or with others, my sister and I are both employed and getting or have gotten an education and my brother is finishing high school and plans to start higher education in this fall, we all started preschool toilet trained and were never spanked to get us to use the toilet, and none of us are addicted to any drugs or alcohol and none of us were teenage parents. None of us are parents yet actually. I wasn't ever spanked like the Pearls, nowhere close. Maybe two-three times total in my life, but i was that child who would turn around and say that doesn't hurt, so it didn't do anything. My sister was never spanked to my knowledge as raising their voice was enough to get her to behave. My brother was once, maybe twice. Usually we had stuff taken away, were grounded, or were yelled at. My parents were yellers. Italian/German blood. :wink-kitty:

My parents never spanked me, and I don't get it? Am I NOT supposed to run into the street!? Why not?! I did it as a child quite often, and my weak, liberal parents meekly asked me to stop and gave me pathetic timeouts, so of course I literally never stopped doing it or acquired the skills necessary to understand why I shouldn't!

Did that crazy bitch seriously compare getting vaccinated to hitting a baby? :wtf: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead: Her father is a fucking doctor! She should know better! :angry-screaming:

Let's do a completely non-scientific FJ poll to see if it is possible to raise normal, functional adults without spanking...

If you are a parent and do not spank your children or if you grew up in a non-spanking household, please answer the following questions:

Let's see...my parents were occasional spankers and I have one 3 year old that doesn't get spanked

1-no, my kid has never run into the street in front of a car.

(FWIW, I have. My child has a better attention span than I do though)

2-Nope, my kid never has tried to put things in a light socket

(In that vein, I have...when old enough to know better. Because how ELSE can you find out how it works? I ay have exploded things by putting teeny tiny mini christmas bulbs in c7 sockeets and turning things on around age 8)

3-yep

4-I'm employed, my 3 year old has a full time job being charming :lol:

No addictions, the kiddo isn't yet potty trained, but we're making progress :)

Archived