IGNORED

Duggars, Duggars & More Duggars - General Discussion Part 3

happy atheist

Jayne Mansfield had a son named Zoltan during her marriage to Mickey Hargitay. (L&O:SVU star Mariska Hargitay is their daughter.) Zoltan made the news when he was mauled by a lion at Jungleland USA. He recovered fortunately.

I always thought that Jayne would have been so proud of Mariska when she won the Emmy in 2006.

Rescinded and Mended, do you mean that song that goes "Zaccheus was a wee man"?

Z(I can't spell it) was a wee little man

A wee little man was he...

Oh god I hated that song. Loved the accompanying bible story though, because its one more example where Jesus hung out with "undesirables."

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jayne Mansfield had a son named Zoltan during her marriage to Mickey Hargitay. (L&O:SVU star Mariska Hargitay is their daughter.) Zoltan made the news when he was mauled by a lion at Jungleland USA. He recovered fortunately.

I always thought that Jayne would have been so proud of Mariska when she won the Emmy in 2006.

Rescinded and Mended, do you mean that song that goes "Zaccheus was a wee man"?

I sure do - I learned that one and a bunch of other Biblically-themed songs in Catholic school. The oddest part was, I learned the songs, but almost never studied the stories mentioned in the songs during religious classes. I remember singing a song in music class about the fall of Jericho, but didn't understand the story behind it until I attended a Lutheran relative's church service, where it was covered in a sermon.

ETA: Trynn, I still have verses from that song running through my head to this day. Drives me crazy! :lol:

We used to sing Bible themed songs in public school music class (yeah, the same school where we did the Lord's Prayer every two weeks in class - don't ask me). There was that one song that went, "Who built the Ark? Noah! Noah! Who built the Ark? Noah built the Ark!" And the boys all used to sing, "Who built the Ark? No one! No one!" Haha.

There are also other religious songs set to the tune used for Zacheus

Joseph was an old man

a very old man was he

When he married Mary

in the land of Galilee.

In my town we have both a Zelda and a Zelma.

I'm laughing about the debate over letting older kids pick younger kids' names. I was 2 when my brother was born, but I could already talk well and understand I was getting a sibling. My parents asked me for suggestions, but didn't say I'd get to actually name him.

What did I want to name him?

Christopher Robin. What can I say? I loved Winnie the Pooh then. "Christopher", especially "Chris" does NOT work with our last name. So, Christopher became his middle name. Now, I don't really like the name- it's just a funny throwback.

My FIL is named Christopher, and his sister is named Robin. I guess his parents felt like you as a 2 year old!

Yuri

I will laugh a lot if a Dugger child is called Yuri, because in the world of fanfiction, Yuri means a lesbian relationship (oh my god, twins called Yuri and Yaoi ...)

I confess that I did the same thing : 26 lists 19 names ... I have no life ..

One of my coworkers has a daughter named Zabrina. As for Y names, there's also Yvonne and Yvette (which I'm pretty sure are variations of each other, but in Duggarland they don't seem to care about that).

My dad's name is Larry. He has four brothers, one is named Barry. We always thought his mom should've named the other two Gary and Harry.

(oh my god, twins called Yuri and Yaoi ...)

Holy shit, your brain is a beautiful place.

(Any Australians here remember the TV ads for those Yowie chocolates? Because I still sometimes think "yaoi power!" in my head and laugh a bit.)

One of my coworkers has a daughter named Zabrina. As for Y names, there's also Yvonne and Yvette (which I'm pretty sure are variations of each other, but in Duggarland they don't seem to care about that).

My dad's name is Larry. He has four brothers, one is named Barry. We always thought his mom should've named the other two Gary and Harry.

My FIL is Harry, his brothers are Larry and Gary and his sister is Mary. My MIL wanted to call her boys something like Ben, Bob and Bill with a B-surname. Lucky they didn't all turn out to be boys...

I'll vote Zinger, pronounced Zin-jur. Then we can try to free him or her. :-)

The scientific name for ginger is Zingiber officinale.

Zingiber is no worse than Jinger.

We used to sing Bible themed songs in public school music class (yeah, the same school where we did the Lord's Prayer every two weeks in class - don't ask me). There was that one song that went, "Who built the Ark? Noah! Noah! Who built the Ark? Noah built the Ark!" And the boys all used to sing, "Who built the Ark? No one! No one!" Haha.

We used to sing that at camp when I was a teen and I never even thought about that variant! I seriously wish I could go back in time to sing the "No one!" version. Did your version have the line about Moses smoting at the water with a 2 x 4?

We used to sing that at camp when I was a teen and I never even thought about that variant! I seriously wish I could go back in time to sing the "No one!" version. Did your version have the line about Moses smoting at the water with a 2 x 4?

As a teen? Wow, by the time I was a teen that song was considered too babyish and we were singing adult songs.

I wish I'd thought if that variant too, actually...

My FIL is Harry, his brothers are Larry and Gary and his sister is Mary. My MIL wanted to call her boys something like Ben, Bob and Bill with a B-surname. Lucky they didn't all turn out to be boys...

You don't live in Omaha, do you? I knew a family like that back in Junior High School. There were at least a Mary, Barry, and Gary... not sure about Larry and Harry...

I went to uni with someone called Zohrab.

Other 'Z' names:

* Zilpah (Leah's handmaid, gave birth to Gad and Asher)

* Zelda

I think Zohrab is Persian- a Persian epic mentioned in the book The Kite Runner mentions a story of Rostam and Sohrab. Could just be a spelling difference from that.

In my town we have both a Zelda and a Zelma.

I used to have a dog named Zelda whom I got from some people giving away puppies in front of the main library at the University of Georgia. I think she was probably half Lab and half pointer and she was gorgeous! The people with the puppies said that no one wanted her because she was too ugly. She did have a charming wrinkle in her forehead, but she was not ugly. Mad Magazine had a knack for naming ugly women Zelda so that's what I named her. A friend said it should be Zelda after F Scott Fitzgerald's wife, a legendary and glamourous bearer of the name. Zelda was a wonderful dog and I still miss her these many years after she's gone to the Bridge.

I knew twins in high school named Gary and Larry. What was funny was that they were not identical.

As a teen? Wow, by the time I was a teen that song was considered too babyish and we were singing adult songs.

I wish I'd thought if that variant too, actually...

I just looked the song up on Youtube and the most popular version is a kids' song - the one I learned in my teens was pretty different and verging on the irreverent side :-) Lyrics included "Moses stood by the Red Sea shore/Smotin’ at the water with a two-by-four" and "Matthew, Mark and Luke and John/All of them sinners is dead and gone." There was also a whole bit about levees and steamboats.

Someone on another site asked why the Duggars are even famous. I think TLC caught wind of them when Boob ran for office, and doing the specials helped catapult their fame. This is why I think they're famous.

The Duggars are famous because J'Chelle gave birth to a lot of kids. I don't think they're the biggest family in the US. Don't the Vanderhoff's have more kids than them? Granted some of them are adopted. The real question is, when will TLC cut off the Duggars' television fame? What will the be the straw that breaks the camel's back? It's not like J'Chelle and Boob make an effort not to be in the public eye. And as for Smugger, he should just go away. He's just a hater, and needs a real education before he starts talking about things that he doesn't know.

Why do the Duggars show so many private moments of their lives? Nothing is off limits for them. That's sad. I guess they asked for it, when they decided to do a series for TLC. Why are the Kardashian's famous? They do nothing. Kind of like the Duggars. It can be asked about most people on tv today.

When will the Duggars go away on TLC? When they no longer make money for the network. Ratings and advertising revenue are probably the biggest concerns TLC has about keeping the show on the air.

Why are the Duggars so highly rated for TLC, if all they show is the same stuff we've seen before? i'd rather watch The Little Couple.

Why are the Duggars so highly rated for TLC, if all they show is the same stuff we've seen before? i'd rather watch The Little Couple.

I have the same question. I have not watched a show since before Josie, but I faithfully read the synopsis that Buzzard and others here provide. It is boring just reading about them. I'm surprised they still pull in enough eyeballs to make it worthwhile to the advertisers and network.

Even when a courtship or marriage happens, I'm not more invested in the show. The Duggars will do anything to stay relevant. They have a lot of kids, and don't let their kids be independent. They worship Gothard, who has no kids. What a great plot for a long running reality show. The Duggars have been filmed for 10 years. Jackson was born in 2004, and he was the first special's birth. I wonder how the kids really feel about having every aspect of their lives filmed. They all can't love it. They're forced to, because they know that Mama and Daddy would be screwed without it.

Archived